Ships The Keelback Club

Well, for me a KB is a great mission ship. 32-64 tons is more than enough tons for mission based adventure. Fully augmented and engineered I can spend as much time as I want in a CZ or REZ area. With the fighter and a good pilot I can choose between what kind of fighting I want to do. It's even a decent exploration ship with a maxed out FSD (smaller size means easier to land in rougher ground) - having a figher and SRV for exploration means more fun options depending on terrain.

Would you mind sharing your build? Aside from very light combat I always end up dead or running away in mine (or did as I haven’t used it in a while).

Would you mind sharing your build? Aside from very light combat I always end up dead or running away in mine (or did as I haven’t used it in a while).

More or less like this: https://eddp.co/u/BK7Akkdu

I'm currently building up a different KB as well, one just for exploring. Hoping to get it up to close to 40 light years with room for the Guardian FSD booster when it's available.

Ozram ... You could rig one for cool running and you will giggle when people can’t target you. Built one just for fun and had a wing buddy tell me he couldnt target me until i got within 350m of his ship. Past that distance i was flickering on his radar and he couldnt get a lock ... and i was facing him sitting still when we tested it out.

Engineered one with a low emissions L4 power plant and clean L5 drives and it runs at 15% heat while I’m cruising around in a resource site. For weapons I put an efficient L5 medium beam on it with thermal vent and have hit 2% heat and frosted my windows ... while in combat. Added a medium overcharged multi and 2 small high yield cannons on it as well (with shields and a SLF bay). You could put dispersal field on the cannons and really annoy someone lucky enough to get a gimbal or turret on you.

Ridiculously fun to goof off in.

It would make an excellent stealthy smuggler ship for the “wookie” in you LOL.

Really nice looking generalist, Mossfoot! I can see it would be able to get up to a lot of different things. DBGuardian, actually, I was looking around and talking on Discord and came up with something I like. It’s a silent utility ship intended to work with a wing to take down large prey (pvp): https://eddp.co/u/UmEynD4h

It works great for big ship pvp. Had a wingmate pop shields on a cutter with reverb mines on his silent running keelie and the cutter ran like a screaming school girl when his shield generator went boom.

In my DBX i was actually cooling down with that setup ... with silent running active. It was ridiculous.

It works great for big ship pvp. Had a wingmate pop shields on a cutter with reverb mines on his silent running keelie and the cutter ran like a screaming school girl when his shield generator went boom.

In my DBX i was actually cooling down with that setup ... with silent running active. It was ridiculous.
Yep that’s the plan. Keelback will throw down main shield gen attack (tougher shields will have about 18% gen health left), reverb mine dropping cobra or courier to finish the job and two snipers with rom fsd reboots to stop the panicked jump out and then rail snipe the fsd while it reboots. From there focus thrusters or pp and Bob’s your uncle. The firepower from these small ships and the SLF in tandem should make short work of a shieldless fatty.
When I get home tomorrow I’ll set up my keely (most of the equipment including the reverbs are already laying around) and then go make a test run. Goal will be to strip someone’s shields and set the SLF on them while trying hard to keep keely out of their sensor range. If I can pull that off I’ll call it a vic.

Last edited:
Really nice looking generalist, Mossfoot! I can see it would be able to get up to a lot of different things.

Indeed. Jack of all Trades, though it probably wouldn't last in any accidental PvP situations, but I've never lost her in PVE regardless of the situation.

Keelback is so cute. I’ve made such an effort at finding a place for one in my fleet. So far no go. Anyone make good use of their keely do say.

All of my ships have specific roles. I have to do this as once you get a good sized fleet, you need useful roles, or they won't get flown. And if you don't fly them, may as well not have them right?

In my fleet, the Keelback is my 'planetary lander'. I use it for raw materials gathering. So it has an SRV of course. It also has a SLF, which I use for canyon joyrides while on the planet to break it up and have some fun. It can jump 30+ with engineering, so it makes a great ship to head out in when I'm low on raw material mats.

All of my ships have specific roles. I have to do this as once you get a good sized fleet, you need useful roles, or they won't get flown. And if you don't fly them, may as well not have them right?

In my fleet, the Keelback is my 'planetary lander'. I use it for raw materials gathering. So it has an SRV of course. It also has a SLF, which I use for canyon joyrides while on the planet to break it up and have some fun. It can jump 30+ with engineering, so it makes a great ship to head out in when I'm low on raw material mats.

I have the same attitude towards my fleet. Fortunately, I now have a plan for my Keelback and it’s a wing utility ship. Six reverb torps on a very silent build with SLF support. Strictly for pvp. I’m looking forward to putting it together and testing. Posted above but here it is again: https://eddp.co/u/wZno8X4H
On a side note, my main dedicated surface mission ship is a Cobra4.

Now that's an interesting Keelback! I like seeing things like this, and it shows how versatile the ship is. repped.

But no shields eh? Braver man than I :)

That design is a pure silent runner. Once torps are fired it should be able to stay cold for a long time (three high cap sink launchers worth). That’s it’s own shielding.

That design is a pure silent runner. Once torps are fired it should be able to stay cold for a long time (three high cap sink launchers worth). That’s it’s own shielding.

While I am creating a "specialized" KB for exploration, I find it difficult to see myself creating a KB that is rigged for some of these meta-tactics (silent running and mind dropping). Maybe I'm not flexible enough in my thinking, or maybe I just like always having my options open.

Then again, I tend to play a Bard in RPGs, so... ;)

While I am creating a "specialized" KB for exploration, I find it difficult to see myself creating a KB that is rigged for some of these meta-tactics (silent running and mind dropping). Maybe I'm not flexible enough in my thinking, or maybe I just like always having my options open.

Then again, I tend to play a Bard in RPGs, so... ;)

Not sure it has to do with flexible thinking. Your build is awesome and will allow your KB to engage in a wide variety of tasks. I’m a fleet guy. I like trying to make my ships very specific for their tasks with very few generalists. For me, having a reverb cascade dispensing KB will turn out useful (but only for pvp and when winged with other players) when hunting down big game (large player ships).
The plan here is to create a wing that is light and nimble and can effectively remove one of the big three from a Haz. Ideally it would be comprised of:
1: SR Keely (launches torps and then hides far enough away so as to remain hidden, then switch to SLF)
2: SR Cobra (with reverb mines to finish the job if the opponents shield gen survives the torpedo assault and thruster interrupting mines to slow down their getaway)
3: 2 DBS and or Vipers with rails and Grom missiles to interrupt fsd and then snipe the fsd followed by thrusters/pp.
Goal is to make a small ships special opps wing designed to take out the big boys.
Not sure if it will work but if it does I’ll be sure to post vids.

So... I built a makeshift version of it. It’s not maxed out like the Coriolis build but all the important bits are in place. My apologies to the unwilling participant in my test run, but.... [video=youtube_share;vj5DpzJB_rU]https://youtu.be/vj5DpzJB_rU[/video]
Now I gots to spend a little money. Anything makes that possible deserves a kit.
Edit: thanks to Frenotx for piloting the SLF as multicrew.
[video=youtube_share;LhxE-tqs-DQ]https://youtu.be/LhxE-tqs-DQ[/video]
Edit #2: got a kit.
skyfall.jpg

Last edited:
More or less like this: https://eddp.co/u/BK7Akkdu

I'm currently building up a different KB as well, one just for exploring. Hoping to get it up to close to 40 light years with room for the Guardian FSD booster when it's available.

Thanks for posting that Keelback spec - pretty much where I'd like to get mine when I have saved up some more credits, so thank you very much for the food for thought.

Almost 4 weeks since any posts here?

Then here's some good news for all those KEELIE lovers out there drifting in the black ... who may be looking for a friendly system with other Keelie lovers.

KEELBACKS have a welcome spot in the bubble now, and are invited and encouraged in KAMUY, since our "Keelie Friendly" player faction recently gained control of the system.

(It's also home to Kamuy Transport Security, affectionately called KEEL TEAM SIX by the hard-working blue collar civilians in systems they serve and protect.)

Fly safe Keelie commanders!

Almost 4 weeks since any posts here?

Then here's some good news for all those KEELIE lovers out there drifting in the black ... who may be looking for a friendly system with other Keelie lovers.

KEELBACKS have a welcome spot in the bubble now, and are invited and encouraged in KAMUY, since our "Keelie Friendly" player faction recently gained control of the system.

(It's also home to Kamuy Transport Security, affectionately called KEEL TEAM SIX by the hard-working blue collar civilians in systems they serve and protect.)

Fly safe Keelie commanders!
good on you guys, I may bring Lola over one day to say hi

Well, the question's gotta be asked. Who has tried the Krait and decided it's basically the next step in Keelback style play?

Well, the question's gotta be asked. Who has tried the Krait and decided it's basically the next step in Keelback style play?

I’ve set up a Krait and had a test run. So far I love the thing. It does not replace my Keelback in any way, shape or form. As for the Gunship.... well that thing may be sitting in dock a little while.

Top Bottom