Ships The Keelback Club

I'm keeping the Clarion Call around as a permanent ship in my stable, but the Krait is the next and final step. It's everything I've wanted from a ship of its class. It's basically like a Super Keelback.

Well, the question's gotta be asked. Who has tried the Krait and decided it's basically the next step in Keelback style play?

Too early to tell.

I've grabbed one, and on paper it looks like there's nothing the Keelie can do that the Krait can't do better.

But early impressions are that the only reason I'd go back is if the game stops being fun because I'm OP. I already felt very comfortably safe in my Keelback, and I'm a bit worried the Krait will make everything too easy.

The bridge alone is so cool I'd hate to give it up.

the Krait is the next and final step. It's everything I've wanted from a ship of its class. It's basically like a Super Keelback.

Yeah, the Krait does seem to make the Keelback all but obsolete. I love the Keelback too, but the Krait is just a better version of it in almost every way.

But because of that, it makes the Keely even more cool.

I see where you're coming from. What always made the KB cool was the fact so many people didn't care for it, but we appreciated the niche it fill. One fully engineered it was the perfect mission runner for PVE play and could surprise you in PVP in the right hands and loadout.

The downside of the Krait is that it so good that everyone will want it. There's nothing to appreciate that others can't also see. No sense of "she might not look like much but she's got it where it counts" because everyone can see she's got it where it counts.

If we get space legs, I just hope the KBs interior is full of character. I have to admit, right now the Krait even has the edge there. I mean... it has a goddamn TEA maker in the back (anyone familiar with my stories knows how important that is ;) )

I see where you're coming from. What always made the KB cool was the fact so many people didn't care for it, but we appreciated the niche it fill. One fully engineered it was the perfect mission runner for PVE play and could surprise you in PVP in the right hands and loadout.

The downside of the Krait is that it so good that everyone will want it. There's nothing to appreciate that others can't also see. No sense of "she might not look like much but she's got it where it counts" because everyone can see she's got it where it counts.

If we get space legs, I just hope the KBs interior is full of character. I have to admit, right now the Krait even has the edge there. I mean... it has a goddamn TEA maker in the back (anyone familiar with my stories knows how important that is ;) )

I totally feel you here. That's why I'm keeping my Keely around. I feel like it still has a lot of character as a ship.

That being said, I really think that while I'm going to stick with my Krait, it's going to, for most people, be a fad ship that ends up with moderate-at-best popularity. A lot of people are already extolling its weaknesses and going back to their preferred ship. The Python still does plenty of things straight up better, and the FDL is still a better Medium-sized combat ship. People that want a ship with a fighter and a lot of firepower will eventually move on to the Big 4.

For me, the Krait occupies a particular niche in the same way the Keelback does; albeit more competently, and I think that's where it will ultimately sit once the hype dies down.

I'm keeping my Keelback (two actually, one is grandfathered pre-Engineer buff the other uses new Engineer rules), but it's pretty clear my Krait is going to be my home for quite a while.

Perhaps we should extend the Keelback Club to the "Jack of all Trades" club, since that's exactly what both these ships are ;)

Too early to tell.

I've grabbed one, and on paper it looks like there's nothing the Keelie can do that the Krait can't do better.

But early impressions are that the only reason I'd go back is if the game stops being fun because I'm OP. I already felt very comfortably safe in my Keelback, and I'm a bit worried the Krait will make everything too easy.

The bridge alone is so cool I'd hate to give it up.

My Keelback is set for a very specific and niche purpose. It is a silent running torpedo boat that can collect wreckage. When I park it somewhere off center and go hunting in the SLF, stealth and camouflage keep me surprisingly safe. The only way to find me is by direct visual or by scanning each and every Keelback within a 25 K circumference from the Haz core. It blends and it blends well and can stay “under” for extended periods of time. I am loving the Krait, but it is not a ship that blends so easily. It’s potential firepower also makes players weary. Not so the Keely. So, I suppose many roles will be taken by the lovely new Krait, but the Keelback won’t be replaced entirely. Rebuy price is also a factor at least for me. I can lose several Keelback to each Krait which has the rebuy akin to a Python.

The Keelback is to me the only truly likeable Lakon ship, and as you say it is a surprisingly effective tool.
I have my old DW ship in Colonia fitted with a Taipan and a pair of railguns. :)

My Keelback is set for a very specific and niche purpose. It is a silent running torpedo boat that can collect wreckage. When I park it somewhere off center and go hunting in the SLF, stealth and camouflage keep me surprisingly safe. The only way to find me is by direct visual or by scanning each and every Keelback within a 25 K circumference from the Haz core. It blends and it blends well and can stay “under” for extended periods of time. I am loving the Krait, but it is not a ship that blends so easily. It’s potential firepower also makes players weary. Not so the Keely. So, I suppose many roles will be taken by the lovely new Krait, but the Keelback won’t be replaced entirely. Rebuy price is also a factor at least for me. I can lose several Keelback to each Krait which has the rebuy akin to a Python.

You make some valid points there - rebuy is an issue if you're doing PvP. I've only ever lost a KB in PvE due to stupidity.

I don't think I'll ever leave a Krait in PvE, though. Not once it's fully engineered. I have a Class 6 Prismatic shield on it and haven't lost more than a ring in basic combat.

If anything the Krait might make the KB even more ignored, and therefore even more useful in niche situations.

Though, again, I definitely think the KB and Krait are kind of in the same general category of Jack of all Trades. While they will fill slightly different roles in that capacity, they have more in common than they have different.

I pretty much knew the Krait would be the KB 2.0 version....

I'll probably get one at some point but I am still flying my KB and don't intent to stop any time in the foreseeable future.

I pretty much knew the Krait would be the KB 2.0 version....

I'll probably get one at some point but I am still flying my KB and don't intent to stop any time in the foreseeable future.

What I've seen and experienced personally after buying a Krait is this... it is nothing like a Keelie ... the Krait is just an improved python with greater speed and a SLF ... and 3 person multicrew support (and every core python module can be moved over to it). I actually prefer it over the python and wonder if Braben planned on the vintage Krait in this way.

But having 4 keelies in a wing, all with packhounds and healing beams, is just plain great group fun with buddies in a haz site. And if a few have reverb engineering, they are formidable in a group against a big ship ... with their 4 SLFs as support. And the rebuy is ridiculously low ... one passenger runs pays for it.

By the way, you can add a size 5 guardian FSD booster to the Keelie and add 10 to your jump range ... if you have a hankering to explore in it.

As a “Keeper of the Spinny Engines” ... and owner of a few ”big boys” ... i will gladly endure the teasing and ridicule by my buddies when flying in a ship with character, like my Keel Team Six “lunchbox” combat freighter (not to be confused with the “juicebox” or type6) LOL

What I've seen and experienced personally after buying a Krait is this... it is nothing like a Keelie ... the Krait is just an improved python with greater speed and a SLF ... and 3 person multicrew support (and every core python module can be moved over to it). I actually prefer it over the python and wonder if Braben planned on the vintage Krait in this way.

But having 4 keelies in a wing, all with packhounds and healing beams, is just plain great group fun with buddies in a haz site. And if a few have reverb engineering, they are formidable in a group against a big ship ... with their 4 SLFs as support. And the rebuy is ridiculously low ... one passenger runs pays for it.

By the way, you can add a size 5 guardian FSD booster to the Keelie and add 10 to your jump range ... if you have a hankering to explore in it.

As a “Keeper of the Spinny Engines” ... and owner of a few ”big boys” ... i will gladly endure the teasing and ridicule by my buddies when flying in a ship with character, like my Keel Team Six “lunchbox” combat freighter (not to be confused with the “juicebox” or type6) LOL

That sounds pretty cool. There are some missions still remain Python exclusive. I don’t think either the Python or the Keelback are in any danger of going extinct. If anything, the Krait is an almost direct improvement on the Gunship. The roles I had my Gunship for are almost entirely taken over by my Krait now. The other ship at risk is the Chieftain. Briefly in the sun, the mark 2 seems a direct upgrade in most ways. I’m keeping mine but I can see the writing on the wall.
Anyway, this is the KB thread. Long live the Keelback!

I’m keeping mine but I can see the writing on the wall.
Anyway, this is the KB thread. Long live the Keelback!

That's kind of why I thought the KB thread should be expanded to a JOAT thread (Jack of all Trades). Because I'm not giving up my KB, and the fact is the KB may get a buff of some sort in the next year, other changes may make the KB more relevant again. Or maybe we'd have reasons to swap between the two.

KB buff?!?

Have seen/heard something or just speculation?

Don't tease a bloke like that! My KB ain't going anywhere, love the ship!

KB buff?!?

Have seen/heard something or just speculation?

Don't tease a bloke like that! My KB ain't going anywhere, love the ship!

Sorry, no, haven't heard anything. Just speculation with Ziljan, who thinks it's likely to happen at some point in the future (if only because of natural power creep in games)

I just love the Keelback. I run passenger missions while trading and exploring in it and it has so far funded the purchase of a T-7. I love that it's small yet very flexible in its loadout and don't really see it as an alternative to the Krait, which seems an entirely different beast. I'll use the T-7 for some more serious hauling, but plan on always returning to the Keelback regularly. Can't see what it is about the Krait that people are so excited about. The low rebuy and amazing flexibility of the Keelback is unmatched in this game, in my view.

I went back and forth on whether a Krait would replace my KB, and I decided to keep the KB. The galaxy has way too many Kraits (including my own mining Krait), so I need to keep my Keelback if for no other reason than to season the galaxy with an exotic spice :D

“Oldy Duck Keelnobi” has spoken ... and i like his seasoned “sage” advice (you saw what i did there with my “spicy” response) LOL

Top Bottom