The King of Rome, concluding its second exploration, debriefing (with photos!) and signing off

I was off with my mates for a pint or two,
When I saw a wing flash up in the blue;
"Charlie, it's the King of Rome
Come back to his West End home,
Come outside quick, he's perched up on your roof!"

"Come on down, your majesty,
I knew you'd make it back to me;
Come on down, you lovely one,
You made my dream come true."

In the West End of Derby lives a working man;
He says "I can't fly but my pigeons can,
And when I set them free
It's just like part of me
Gets lifted up on shining wings"
~'The King of Rome', Dave Sudbury

Been gone for a few months, travelled 159,547Ly, visiting just over 3000 systems, going up to the galactic core, out to the very end of the Perseus Arm, and then back down to the Arm to the Bubble. Elite status gained. Unknown lands charted. Distant suns watched in their rising and their setting. Ship destroyed once and badly damaged another time; SRV destroyed once but otherwise fine.

All ready to pack up the King of Rome now, give it some spit and polish and let it rest for a while. Maybe I'll go off in a new ship. Maybe I'll even consider doing something else with my time for a little while, other than being a spaceman. Whatever - this expedition is now over.

However, I have some photos. Like when your neighbours would get home from their holidays and put on a slideshow - does anyone do that any more? Anyway, I'm going to hang up the cleanest white bedsheet, dig out the slide projector, draw the curtains, and stand ready with the clicky thing. There's some Blue Nun and cheesy nibbles on the table behind you.

3ae3bmV.jpg

UpWMFgj.jpg

Glwk0Kf.jpg

Q1V63gq.jpg

XSzbCXX.jpg

ayYgqHd.jpg

i1LF1cK.jpg

ajRfbgC.jpg

g1NeCwj.jpg

NF6hCJo.jpg

8yqTnV8.jpg

rJaqZ6t.jpg

MikqifU.jpg

24vs5nw.jpg

iCyV64t.jpg

wLB4yfE.jpg

c4hpL7i.jpg

WFr2u4Q.jpg

1FdA8GQ.jpg

1O6ni5M.jpg

NiRng4I.jpg

QOIQZwB.jpg

vrXuVQT.jpg

c3h6gvd.jpg

86jzgKb.jpg

p8zp8eq.jpg

SIWdCty.jpg

Thank you so much for your attention. Enjoy your evening.

Last edited:
Is that goliath's rest you went to?!? What a dream place.....

The place with the very bright sky? No, not Goliath's Rest. Somewhere in the Tyrielue sector (I think Tyrielue DA-A F14, I normally take a picture from the cockpit as a record of the location, but forgot on that occasion), about 2800Ly directly above the core.

Well done! I enjoyed the slide show. I'm on an expedition myself. I upload my selfies to Inara which has a field for "system" that helps me remember. With the mapping features in EDSM its nice to see that history.

Well done! I enjoyed the slide show. I'm on an expedition myself. I upload my selfies to Inara which has a field for "system" that helps me remember. With the mapping features in EDSM its nice to see that history.

Ah! I've hardly used Inara - must make more of it in future! Thanks.

Thanks!

The black hole is Pla Aick GA-A E1 - it's right on the fringes of the galaxy, at the end of the Perseus Arm, so the ring of light you're seeing is the light of the entire Milky Way, twisted around by gravitational lensing.

Top Bottom