Community Event / Creation The Lavecon Buckyball Race 2017

Those were quite a lot of participants! Looks like you all had great fun, I hope to meet some of you in the upcoming races ;)

And maybe as soon as I'm back from the Heart and Soul nebulas I'll give a try to the course and see how I'd have fared :)

BVCKES OF BALLE - LOL

VhyoPa0.png

Just awesome! Courtesy of Zulu Romeo.

I attempted to recreate Alex Brentnall's winning effort, although he went for more of a spiral approach.
[video=youtube;DNFwa5MgbFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFwa5MgbFI[/video]
We definitely have some racers on our hands on the leaderboard. Low or sub ten minutes are legitimate times.

The event as a whole was tremendous fun. Alec Turner spoke of feeling emotionally drained at the end of it and I completely understand that reaction. It's flabbergasting to think that after spending all that money to get a platinum ticket and then sitting in the LAN room for 90% of the weekend I would be delighted and think my time was well spent. It absolutely was.

Seeing the constant stream of people coming to look at what we were doing and queuing to take part was great. Best of all was that with one exception everyone who wanted to have a go did get the chance. Unfortunately for young Oliver he was inadvertently scheduled to clash with the Frontier Q&A which everyone went to and then he got rescheduled at dinner time.

The Frontier gang were all desperate to beat each other and Steve Kirby more or less had to be dragged out of the room at the end.

Both Alec and drakhyr get a massive paws up from me. The amount of time and effort Alec put in to making the event look so easy is difficult to appreciate. The artwork, the race thread, the controls setup, the leaderboard and most of all the patient explanation of the rules and constant stream of advice for new racers, all delivered with massive enthusiasm. I couldn't come close to that level of involvement, mainly sitting there and saying "go faster, mate" from time to time. drakhyr wasn't even supposed to be working as a race host. He just decided to forego the actual convention events he'd paid to visit and help us out because why not. Legends, the pair of them.

Perhaps the most memorable part of the event, however, wasn't actually related to the race at all. We were set up next to Snakebite who was demoing his GameCAB hardware and running the speed docking challenge. He returned to the room to find that one of the attendees had completely run down the reserve tank on the Eagle used for the challenge and was halfway through the main tank. Of course with Alex on hand that didn't need to be a problem and after some instancing issues, a 100k Ls cruise and some frantic message passing back and forth - as well as a crash course in the art of wing beaconing - from me, the ship was duly refueled with less than a minute's worth of oxygen remaining.

Whereupon Snakebite promptly boosted straight into the side of the Rataconda and died.

I attempted to recreate Alex Brentnall's winning effort, although he went for more of a spiral approach. We definitely have some racers on our hands on the leaderboard. Low or sub ten minutes are legitimate times.

The event as a whole was tremendous fun. Alec Turner spoke of feeling emotionally drained at the end of it and I completely understand that reaction. It's flabbergasting to think that after spending all that money to get a platinum ticket and then sitting in the LAN room for 90% of the weekend I would be delighted and think my time was well spent. It absolutely was.

Seeing the constant stream of people coming to look at what we were doing and queuing to take part was great. Best of all was that with one exception everyone who wanted to have a go did get the chance. Unfortunately for young Oliver he was inadvertently scheduled to clash with the Frontier Q&A which everyone went to and then he got rescheduled at dinner time.

The Frontier gang were all desperate to beat each other and Steve Kirby more or less had to be dragged out of the room at the end.

Both Alec and drakhyr get a massive paws up from me. The amount of time and effort Alec put in to making the event look so easy is difficult to appreciate. The artwork, the race thread, the controls setup, the leaderboard and most of all the patient explanation of the rules and constant stream of advice for new racers, all delivered with massive enthusiasm. I couldn't come close to that level of involvement, mainly sitting there and saying "go faster, mate" from time to time. drakhyr wasn't even supposed to be working as a race host. He just decided to forego the actual convention events he'd paid to visit and help us out because why not. Legends, the pair of them.

Perhaps the most memorable part of the event, however, wasn't actually related to the race at all. We were set up next to Snakebite who was demoing his GameCAB hardware and running the speed docking challenge. He returned to the room to find that one of the attendees had completely run down the reserve tank on the Eagle used for the challenge and was halfway through the main tank. Of course with Alex on hand that didn't need to be a problem and after some instancing issues, a 100k Ls cruise and some frantic message passing back and forth - as well as a crash course in the art of wing beaconing - from me, the ship was duly refueled with less than a minute's worth of oxygen remaining.

Whereupon Snakebite promptly boosted straight into the side of the Rataconda and died.

[up] (out of rep ... oh, and nice time by the way!)

I attempted to recreate Alex Brentnall's winning effort, although he went for more of a spiral approach. We definitely have some racers on our hands on the leaderboard. Low or sub ten minutes are legitimate times.

It was a great little corner of the LAN room, yes. Great times. :)

Attention Lavecon Buckyball recruits ... we have a new race starting on Saturday!

[video=youtube_share;K7R9_T-56AY]https://youtu.be/K7R9_T-56AY[/video]

Top Bottom