Community Event / Creation The Lavecon Buckyball Race 2017

mi146y6.png

As stated in the above flyer (which will be available in printed form on the front desk) the Buckyball Racing Club are hosting a race in the LAN room at this year's Lavecon event entitled (somewhat unimaginatively) "The Lavecon Buckyball Race 2017".

The race is open to anyone attending the event who fancies a go and will be running throughout weekend.

It's a timed race much in the style of the "Star in a reasonably priced car" feature from the BBC TV show Top Gear. It will work as follows:

- Come along to our stand in the LAN room. It will be the one flying these flags.
C7aPjLp.jpg
- Speak to one of the "race marshals" (that will be either myself, Cmdr furrycat, Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr or anyone else you see wearing one of the official Buckyball race marshal gilet's bearing our logo).

- You'll be taken through the flight controls (we hope to have a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, a Warthog HOTAS with pedals, a PC XBOX controller and a good old fashioned keyboard and mouse - you can pick your favourite) and have the course explained to you (it basically involves flying to and landing at three other stations including the finish line).

- You'll be able to re-bind the controls to your personal preferences (or indeed, if you want to bring along your own control binding files for any of those control mechanisms on a USB stick then we'd be happy to install them for you).

- You'll be given a short practice flight which should take around 5 minutes (involving one hyperspace jump, a supercruise to the starting station and a landing) in order to get used to the controls. Then you'll line up on the starting launch pad ready to boogie.

- When the attending race marshal says "go" you'll launch, fly to each of the other stations that make up the course, land, launch and continue on to the next.

- When you land at the final station your time will be recorded and your race entry will be added to our special scoreboard. We expect runs to take between 10 and 15 minutes.

At the end of the weekend (hopefully during the 6pm closing event in the main room on Sunday) we'll announce the winners. The person with the fastest time will receive a Viper ship kit (or other Frontier store game extra of equivalent value if they already one). The two runners up will each receive a flight suit pack of their choice. All entrants will receive a "rare" Buckyball Beer Mat (until we run out).
nM4T6vo.jpg

Race course is as follows:
  • Start: Renenbellot Market, Woloniugo
  • Stop 1: Cady City: No Chianga
  • Stop 2: Cartan Station, K'uanele
  • Finish: Haignere Ring, LTT 12294
Viper outfitting as follows:
  • Alloys: Lightweight
  • Powerplant: 2A
  • Thrusters: 3A
  • FSD: 3A
  • Life support: 2D
  • Power distributor: 3A
  • Sensors: 3D
  • Fuel tank: 2C
  • Shields: 2D
No other optional internals, utility mounts or hardpoints fitted.

Click here for Coriolis outfitting link: Lavecon Buckyball Racer

FAQ

Q) Do I need to book in advance?
A) Nope, just come along to the stand. If we're busy you can either wait or arrange a time with the attending race marshal so you can come back later.

Q) Can I run more than once?
A) Yes, absolutely. A big part of Buckyball Racing is about trying to beat your own previous best time. If there are people waiting then racers who haven't yet had a go will be given priority but otherwise you're encouraged to come back and try as many times as you like (within reason I guess).

Q) Can I race in any ship?
A) Nope, you'll be racing in a race prepped Viper Mk III (this is the ship that appears on our logo).

Q) Will I need to use my own account?
A) Nope, we have a "Buckyball Racer" account that you will be using, hopefully with enough funds to cover the rebuys (see also, "Can I drink and fly" and "What happens if I blow up").

Q) Can I drink and fly.
A) Absolutely, although possibly not at the same time (see also, "What happens if I blow up")

Q) What happens if I blow up?
A) That will be the end of your run and we will point and laugh. If nobody else appears to be waiting then you can just try again, otherwise you'll have to go to the back of the queue.

Q) What happens if we crash so many ships that the Buckyball Racer account runs out of money?
A) Errr ... at the time of writing we haven't planned for this eventuality.

Q) Aren't those the same crummy beer mats you were handing out to anyone that would take one at last year's Lavecon?
A) Yes, but now they're "rare"!
buckyballbeermats.jpg
Q) I'm unable to attend Lavecon, can I still take part?
A) The official race course and Viper Mk III loadout can be found above. If you want to try the race for yourself then that's fine. Feel free to post your time in this forum thread. It won't appear on the official scoreboard and it won't qualify for any prizes but you will at least have the pride (or shame) of knowing how your skills compare to those of the average p%ssed up Lavecon attendee who's unfamiliar with the controls and has the added pressure of a gilet wearing Buckyball race marshal standing over them with a stop watch. I'll also endeavour to post photos of the official scoreboard from time to time throughout the course of the weekend so you can spectate from afar.

That's it! If you have any further questions please feel free to post them in this thread and I'll add them to the FAQ.

Fly fast commanders.

o7

Last edited:

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I want to help test the set up..... might need exclusive usage on friday evening to make sure everything is working ok.....?

I want to help test the set up..... might need exclusive usage on friday evening to make sure everything is working ok.....?

Actually, although I'm there, the kit belongs to furrycat and I'm not 100% sure whether he has a Friday ticket (sorry furrycat, care to comment?).

That said, and in all seriousness, it would be REALLY useful to have an early test pilot. I've no idea how well this is going to work, especially re: unfamiliarity with controls and how long the pre-race faffing is going to take. So take that as a tentative "yes ... please".

Yes I'll be there on Friday. At this point I can't say when I'll be there. I have a hotel room and a reception ticket booked.

I'll use this weekend to transfer funds to the racing account so it should have enough money to cover rebuys.

People are welcome to bring their own control scripts, keybinding files etc on a USB stick. Even their own hardware if they like. Just as long as they can install and configure things in the allocated time.

Not listed in Alec's controls list but present on the day will be MFG Crosswind pedals and a Warthog HOTAS with FSSB R3 force sensor mod.

Yes I'll be there on Friday.

Excellent, if you manage to get set up in time let's try to meet up on Friday evening to give Ian a trial run and make sure this thing is gonna work (otherwise after breakfast on Saturday?).

I'll use this weekend to transfer funds to the racing account so it should have enough money to cover rebuys.
Super - if you see me in-game (I usualy have a go around 4:30pm-ish) then let's meet up and spend an hour transferring Palladium or somesuch.

Not listed in Alec's controls list but present on the day will be MFG Crosswind pedals and a Warthog HOTAS with FSSB R3 force sensor mod.
Nice, I'll add that to the list.

Last edited:
Much as I would like to join you guys.... I can't.

Cuz I'm on the other side of the planet. I'll be there in spirit though! Unless you guys have a live-streaming thing going on...... ?

Q) I'm unable to attend Lavecon, can I still take part?
A) The official race course and Viper Mk III loadout can be found above. If you want to try the race for yourself then that's fine. Feel free to post your time in this forum thread. It won't appear on the official scoreboard and it won't qualify for any prizes but you will at least have the pride (or shame) of knowing how your skills compare to those of the average p%ssed up Lavecon attendee who's unfamiliar with the controls and has the added pressure of a gilet wearing Buckyball race marshal standing over them with a stop watch. I'll also endeavour to post photos of the official scoreboard from time to time throughout the course of the weekend so you can spectate from afar.

Ok I'm gonna do it! Gonna have to buy a Viper MK 3 first though.... never owned one....

Err... anyone has a pre-loved, pre-owned one for sale?

Ps: wait, what... no fuel scoops??

Last edited:
The tutorial shows you running the course in reverse - is that OK as well? (not that I'm able to be there but I might race it anyway next weekend)

Err ... oh look, a badger! (gesticulates wildly over Edelgard's shoulder) ...

(sounds of muted cursing and furious typing) ...

Nope, don't know what you mean!
The race has to be run along the route specified, in the direction specified, exactly as shown in the video and described in the OP.
:p

Last edited:
Top Bottom