The Lore Tour

Is there one?

As a late comer to Elite Dangerous, 18 months now (mostly just enjoying bumbling around,) too young to have played the original in depth enough to remember any Lore (getting my Father off long enough to play myself was practically impossible) and only now thinking this is something I’d like to look at further I’m curious where and how to start.

I’d like to be able to play out as much as possible in game, starting off somewhere and touring the Old Worlds, following bread crumbs etc. My problem is that whilst there are some fascinating Raxxla threads and Canonn have great links to Abandoned Stations etc there is very little in the way of a “You Are Here” point on your map. No starting point from which to begin.

Is anyone aware of a decent beginners guide, a Lore For Dummies or is it all so disparate that I’m going to be hunting books down across the internet? I’m currently reading Reclamation and have read, having tracked down the online copy, The Dark Wheel(?) the first one that came with the game. Just knowing what to read and in what order would be a small start.

I’ll happily accept all tired, grumpy and fed up posts from Cmdrs who’ve heard this all before .... if only you’ll help a fellow Cmdr who’s lost in space with his thrusters offline.

I’d like to be able to play out as much as possible in game, starting off somewhere and touring the Old Worlds, following bread crumbs etc. My problem is that whilst there are some fascinating Raxxla threads and Canonn have great links to Abandoned Stations etc there is very little in the way of a “You Are Here” point on your map. No starting point from which to begin.
In-game, the tourist beacons often contain quite a lot of useful information. As well as the Old Worlds, the three superpower capitals are probably a good place to start, then look for VIP passenger missions to others - some of them will be to sites of aesthetic rather than historical interest, but you should get quite a bit of variety and find out a bit more.

The Codex knowledge base entries - people, as well as organisations - may give you some good starting points for searches as well. It doesn't have as much as it could have in it, but there's some things there. Galnet sometimes has hints too - but you may want to use the web archive of it, as the in-game version doesn't go back far enough for a lot of the good stuff.

Look around carefully as you travel - there are a lot of listening posts, communication beacons and similar that often lead to something more interesting - though finding the start of a trail may often be a matter of keeping your eyes open and being lucky. Have a chat to people in the crew lounge - you don't need to be hiring to get some hints about past events.

Ram Tah's missions provide a good way to find out more about the Guardians.

Thanks Ian, it looks like continued bumbling, with a lot more drops from SC, are the way to go then.

Speaking of the Codex. One of my big hopes, when this was initially talked about, was for it to contain FDev based Lore/History with some level of chronological order and the ability for Cmdrs to add to that with the Rumoured/Confirmed thing.

I suppose it would be near impossible to find a workable balance between hinting towards content/lore/history without simply road mapping the whole thing out.

Just knowing what to read and in what order would be a small start.

I had the same question as you awhile back, and found this thread to be very helpful. Allan Stroud (second poster in the thread) actually wrote much of the lore for FDev during development of Elite: Dangerous, as well as one of the novels himself, so he's got some credibility in this realm.

Also, the un-official Drew Wagar books he wrote as fan-fiction long before Elite: Reclamation and Elite: Premonition were really good too, in my opinion. There are characters from those books in his later two 'official' books. They're also 100% free. Google the 'Oolite Series' along with his name and you can download them legal and free.

Top Bottom