The Lost Souls Expedition! Launching October 20th!

I thought a cargo rack might be useful for carrying Thargoid or Guardian bits and bobs if we happen to be passing their sites - not sure if this is part of the itinerary?

The thing is though, I'm a fairly clumsy flier (hence the shield!) who's a big fan of neutron jumping so I expect I'll need repairs at some point. Would it be presumptuous of me to rely on fellow expeditioners for the occasional patch-up?

AFMU, for the neutron jumps. There will be some people with repair capabilities that I'm sure you can rely on (I'm one of them, so don't hesitate to ask if needed :)

About the shield, I used to have one too. Then I started to turn it off (for power management reasons), thinking I would turn it on before landing - and I didn't, more than once.

Now I don't carry a shield.

Hi guys,

This will be my first expedition and I have a few questions:

1. Should I bring my SRV?
2. Do I need both the AFMU and repair limpets or will the AFMU be enough?
3. I am on PS4. Under Friends and Private Groups, I have been unable to find The Fatherhood. What am I doing wrong?
4. How will we do in-game voice chat? Once again I am on PS4.

Thanks in advance, and I am really looking forward to this expedition!

1. Yes
2. There should be plenty of CMDR that will bring repair limpets.
3. Azzbo27
4. Join discord.

Thanks for the reply. I have just one more question; how do I get in-game sound from the PS4 and use Discord at the same time? I'm guessing headphone/mic for Discord and speakers for the game? Sorry to be a pest.

I am on PC so can't comment on that. I recommend joining discord.

EDIT: asked on discord. You may need to send friend request to Azzbo27 first.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the mass jump tonight - apologies it took a bit longer than the scheduled time to actually jump but instancing can be a pain

Ps4 user

I'm normally a solo player and on ps, do I head online and open to join in for jumps etc? Heard of instancing etc but not too sure what it all implies. I'm signed up and wanting to join the expedition 😁

I'm normally a solo player and on ps, do I head online and open to join in for jumps etc? Heard of instancing etc but not too sure what it all implies. I'm signed up and wanting to join the expedition ��

When you jump in "normal space" in the game, it actually takes you into an instance of the database. This is were you can see the other ships. The game is sometimes struggling with bringing the players into the same instance and falls over. Like when you go to a planet in an SRV with more then 2 players. You'll get a blue screen.

I'm normally a solo player and on ps, do I head online and open to join in for jumps etc? Heard of instancing etc but not too sure what it all implies. I'm signed up and wanting to join the expedition 
I am in the same place. I have never actually played with another player. I have Seen and chatted with a few, using the in-game message interface. Of course, I have been attacked by several, until I stopped playing open, but that has entailed no communication or gameplay, just be attacked and killed.

That being said, I have no idea how a group exploration is supposed to work. I will give it a try. I would like to see a video on group exploration so I can have a better understanding of what is expected of me, other than, "be in prearranged systems and prearranged times."

That being said, I have no idea how a group exploration is supposed to work. I will give it a try. I would like to see a video on group exploration so I can have a better understanding of what is expected of me, other than, "be in prearranged systems and prearranged times."

Usually, you have various "waypopints" which you will try to visit, these are the goals of the expedition. Not all explorers will be able to reach these waypoints due to limited jumprange, real life getting in the way etc. Then you have meetups which can either be a basecamp on a landable planet or a system to assemble for a mass jump. for planetry basecamps, you are given coordinates and all meet up there. At these meetups, there are sometimes event organised like SRV or fighter racing, hill climbing and so on. At the allotted time, expedition members leave the surface, assemble at a pre-arranged place and drop to normal space to wait for the jump, usually one or two Cmdr's will act as the beacons and wing other Cmdrs into their instance and so build up the fleet for the jump. It's usual to all choose the same target to jump to, somewhere close that everyone can reach, also you are all pointed the same way. A minute before jump time, throttle down and charge your frameshift drive, point your nose at the target. As your clock reaches the allotted jump time, bury the throttle and away you all go. One Cmdr, sometimes stays behind to video it.

The only thing encumbant on you is don't do anything dumb, keep a respectful distance from other ships and have fun. Meetups are easily my favourite part of any expedition, it's where you get to meet all the other Cmdr's travelling with you. Also, the basecamps can be part of the challenge, high G worlds or basecamps in foggy trenches all add to the fun.

I don't know whether this expedition has been arranged along the lines above but certainly the ones I have been on were.

o7

Here is my previous experience on exploring:

Q: what is expected of me?
A: usually, nothing regarding the expedition, just care to not inconvenience others. No firing on other ships (ever), no damaging other ships, keep your distance.
Some expeditions have scouts - people who go out in front and scout suitable base camps - or other roles (repair, refuel...) but that's not expected, you volunteer if you want.

Q: how is this supposed to work?
A: Go through each waypoint at your own pace. IF you can, join the meetups - it's fun! If you want, join the discord, it's fun in there too!

Q: mass jumps? This isn't mass effect(tm)!
A: Yeah. See explanation above - everyone turns up, we choose a star, we charge the FSD but keep the throttle at 0, and then the game crashes (usually). But if it doesn't, after the countdown, everyone does throttle to 100% and warps out and it's cool to watch!

Q: how do I see you guys planetside?
A: a set of coordinates will be given; how to get there is another thing. There are some helpers available - lookup Edison for one, it'll make navigating the coordinate system MUCH easier.

Q: what do we do between the meetups?
A: Jump, and jump again. Search for shiny stuff, like interesting planets, stars, records, earth-like worlds, terraformable planets (these bring in the cash afterwards). If you first discover something, once back and you sell the data to Universal Cartographics, your name will be on that planet!
Incidentally, I think this is why some bodies on the way to WP8 will already be named. The Dead Ends' Circumnavigation Expedition just finished a few days ago, and WP8 (Aicods KD-K d8-3 (Point Decision) was also a waypoint there too.

Hope it helps!

Hi everyone,
Yesterday we had the first meetup at waypoint 1.
Lots of fun were had and some lessons learned for me :)
1) how to use wing beacons
2) how to not drive your SRV full throttle close to a big ship... this resulted in a SRV blowing up and a scratch on the big ship!

Thanks everyone and fly safe

I am now at the tourist beacon apx. 2ly away from IC 1805 Sector DQ-Y e3. Question, there is supposed to be a capital ship in this system. How do I find it?

... well, I am out of the expedition. I was waiting around EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0. Then I saw the latest newsletter and I followed the instructions to start the beta. What I didn't realize was that the update would kick me back to the bubble. So I am now a long ways from being able to meet up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom