General / Off-Topic The Mandalorian TV series

I'm not ready to close the door on the Mandalorian just yet, but I respect everyone who is. I did "cancel" my Disney+ subscription, in that I turned off auto-renew (I ordered an entire year in advance to save cash), hoping Disney gets a notification and actually takes note. We'll see what I do when renewal hits in December. Right now I'm enjoying what is good, which was Mandalorian Season 1&2, Clone Wars & Rebels, Wandavision, and the rest of the Marvel stuff coming this year - all the stuff done by cool people like John and Dave (who are not responsible for Gina's firing).

But once Disney+ turns into the CW, and sadly it's looking like they may go in that direction, then I'm out. It'll all probably depend on who wins the civil war - Kathleen Kennedy or Jon Favreau.

I am definitely not canceling the private torrent tracker I use to share Disney+ content and fully intend to judge the next season of the Mandalorian by it's merits as a show, not by the absence of one character, even if I enjoyed that character.

What she said was not offending or hate speech or anything at all, it was just an analogy.

I found the misinformation she spread rather offensive.

what she could have used instead was the poem from Niemöller

Still would have been hyperbolic, since no one has come for her, legislated against her, or even suggested she can't speak her piece...she just can't make her employers look bad (by their definitions) and expect them to offer her more work.

I canceled Disney+, but to be fair, I only "rented" it to watch Mando. My cancellation simply coincided with the outrage and I was fine with that. If another season comes out, I may or may not "rent" Disney again to watch it. We'll see.

@ lysan

Not coincidentally, I have used that poem to describe the current climate. It sure feels like some people out there would like to move in that direction if they can. :/

It's a TV show aimed at 12 years olds 🤷‍♀️.
It really isn't. Even the "cartoons" Clone Wars and Rebels were surprisingly sophisticated for cartoons. I'm not talking vulgarity, nudity, and grotesque violence that some folk think makes them "adults", but rather the deeper moral stories and character arcs found in these series. I actually shed a tear when a cartoon character died in one of these series (no spoilers), because the show did such a good job with his (and her) arc. I actually went into that particular show thinking it was made for kids, and I was pleasantly surprised that it has something for adults too.

Now there are some shows (like those Lego star wars shows) that seem to be aimed mostly at 12 year olds, and I tend not to get too excited about those.

I'm not ready to close the door on the Mandalorian just yet, but I respect everyone who is. I did "cancel" my Disney+ subscription, in that I turned off auto-renew (I ordered an entire year in advance to save cash), hoping Disney gets a notification and actually takes note. We'll see what I do when renewal hits in December. Right now I'm enjoying what is good, which was Mandalorian Season 1&2, Clone Wars & Rebels, Wandavision, and the rest of the Marvel stuff coming this year - all the stuff done by cool people like John and Dave (who are not responsible for Gina's firing).

But once Disney+ turns into the CW, and sadly it's looking like they may go in that direction, then I'm out. It'll all probably depend on who wins the civil war - Kathleen Kennedy or Jon Favreau.
I thought there was a reason I don't have cable....

It really isn't. Even the "cartoons" Clone Wars and Rebels were surprisingly sophisticated for cartoons. I'm not talking vulgarity, nudity, and grotesque violence that some folk think makes them "adults", but rather the deeper moral stories and character arcs found in these series. I actually shed a tear when a cartoon character died in one of these series (no spoilers), because the show did such a good job with his (and her) arc. I actually went into that particular show thinking it was made for kids, and I was pleasantly surprised that it has something for adults too.

Now there are some shows (like those Lego star wars shows) that seem to be aimed mostly at 12 year olds, and I tend not to get too excited about those.

Aimed at twelve year olds isn't a bad thing in itself, there's some cracking TV and films aimed at that audience. With anything star wars related George Lucas himself said it aimed at that audience. Studio Ghibli or LOTR are good examples.

Peoples favourite star wars movie/series tends to be in that range. For me it's Empire Strikes Back old enough to appreciate the drama not old enough to spot the glaring plot errors at the time.

The Mandalorian is good, it's not a classic though.

Well I will watch it, just not pay for it 🏴‍☠️

I am definitely not canceling the private torrent tracker I use to share Disney+ content and fully intend to judge the next season of the Mandalorian by it's merits as a show, not by the absence of one character, even if I enjoyed that character.

I found the misinformation she spread rather offensive.

Still would have been hyperbolic, since no one has come for her, legislated against her, or even suggested she can't speak her piece...she just can't make her employers look bad (by their definitions) and expect them to offer her more work.
You’re easily offended then.
no one is coming for her? Lol get out of here 🤣😂

I canceled Disney+, but to be fair, I only "rented" it to watch Mando. My cancellation simply coincided with the outrage and I was fine with that. If another season comes out, I may or may not "rent" Disney again to watch it. We'll see.

@ lysan

Not coincidentally, I have used that poem to describe the current climate. It sure feels like some people out there would like to move in that direction if they can. :/
Monsieur l’abbé, je déteste ce que vous écrivez, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez continuer à écrire.

who said that? Well it doesn't really matter, no matter who said it, it’s the right way.

Monsieur l’abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.

You’re easily offended then.

It's my choice to be. Taking offense at an actual insult (and all misinformation is an insult to the truth) is affirmation of one's ideals and an acknowledgement of the external challenges to them, as well as a powerful motivator.

no one is coming for her? Lol get out of here 🤣😂

No one is compelled to offer her employment, or provide a platform for her opinions, and refraining from doing so is hardly tantamount to Nazi's vilifying and rounding up political opponents.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.

That's someone paraphrasing Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who is paraphrasing Voltaire.

It's also being misused in this context.

Well I will watch it, just not pay for it 🏴‍☠️
I don't steal, but I might "churn" - wait for all the episodes to come out (it would do me good to get off social media for a month or two) and then buy just one month of D+ and binge everything I'm interested in.

Right now there's a large enough catalog of older movies (anything not "new", including all the Marvel stuff) that I'm rewatching in 4K HDR to make the service worth it to me for a year subscription, but I will have gone through most of that content come next winter. As for the new Phase 4 Marvel stuff, I have a feeling it's not going to be that good (Captain Marvel was kinda rubbish IMO), and I can always rent the disc at Redbox if I really want to see a specific movie.

That's someone paraphrasing Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who is paraphrasing Voltaire.
ok wasn’t sure who said it.
It's also being misused in this context.
nope, it’s about witch hunt and the dehumanizing of people who think differently, however again we just don’t see the world the same way and that’s is ok. Gina is a strong woman with strong opinions, agree or disagree with her all you want I stand by her to say what she want, I do that too and I don’t give a sock what people think about it, if people want to get physical be my guest and step into my office 😈 unfortunately this is the situation here in the US, how this can end in a nice and calm way is difficult to see if you ask me.

I don't steal, but I might "churn" - wait for all the episodes to come out (it would do me good to get off social media for a month or two) and then buy just one month of D+ and binge everything I'm interested in.

Right now there's a large enough catalog of older movies (anything not "new", including all the Marvel stuff) that I'm rewatching in 4K HDR to make the service worth it to me for a year subscription, but I will have gone through most of that content come next winter. As for the new Phase 4 Marvel stuff, I have a feeling it's not going to be that good (Captain Marvel was kinda rubbish IMO), and I can always rent the disc at Redbox if I really want to see a specific movie.
Who is talking about stealing? I said I just don’t want to pay for it, you’re drawing to conclusions you can’t prove, that’s smear or innuendo, so put those pistols back in the holster cowboy 🤠

Top Bottom