General / Off-Topic The Mandalorian TV series

I'm not a Star Wars die hard by any stretch, but I did find this quite good so far. It has the right "vibe", that I didn't feel in any of the star wars material, prequels, sequels, spinoffs etc since the original trilogy. It just "feels" right, true to the classics, but with a modern feel.

I also like they stick to the basics, a scifi/fantasy adventure show with good pacing, and do not try to pose as some kind of deep political intrigue, nor inject cringy comedy relief.

My only dislike so far is the episode duration. 30 minutes per episode feel too short. But I guess it's a way to keep the show budget in check.

The trailers look good, but not good enough to get me into some kind of subscription model for a new streaming service.
Bro i got disney+, i was overwhelmed by the amount of content available on it. Sooo many older 90s marvel cartoons, all the star wars and mcu with exception of the spiderman movies, 30 years of simpsons, all of pixar, all the old disney classics and some national geographic programing too.

It being only $6.99 a month kills because netflix and hulu are both more costly even if still necessary because of original programming like castle rock and wi tang on hulu and stranger things, umbrella academy and other netflix originals. And thos are just shows i like. I have no id a what shows you might like but im sure its all there in spades

Enjoying it so far, but you have to disconnect your brain a bit. There are some pretty big plot holes.

Can you please explain a little Better how you mean with "big plot holes" is't missing something or what would be interesting to hear 🙂

Last edited:
As a 'balance' counter point Tom Chick (of Qt3) wrote this about his first experience with it:

'The worst thing you’ll see all week: The Mandalorian':

Personally i'll be waiting for the redlettermedia guys to have their say, but i have an idea this would not satisfy this particular original Star Wars fan, as Tom Chick often sees the same issues in films/tv that i do.

It might be a series for the New Star Wars fans (ie post original movies)?

Can you please explain a little Better how you mean with "big plot holes" is't missing something or what would be interesting to hear 🙂

Ok, here's one, i'll spoiler tag it of course.

The mandalorian goes to a planet to search for a target. He has a tracker. He lands. He's a long way from his target, which for some reason can only be reached by riding certain creatures. Why didn't he just fly to much closer to the target? Ok, doesn't want to be spotted on radar or whatever, but could have got much closer. There was a nod towards some broken terrain, which if we are to believe completely surrounds the target, it still could have been passed by a man on foot jumping over the narrow cracks.

But of course, if he had done this, then he wouldn't have had the whole business with meeting the guy who helps him or having his ship stripped by Jawas.

Oh yeah, jawas, on this planet, which isn't Tatooine, but they are totally there. Fan service i guess. Not saying Jawas haven't spread around the galaxy, but just to happen to be on that planet and just to happen to find the mandalorian's ship. And apparently the mandalorian's ship has no automated defenses to stop it being stripped or any sort of comms to alert him of damage, and apparently there isn't any sort of wikipedia in this universe where you can look up what sort of risks exist on these planets and maybe you know, think, ah, jawas, maybe i should do something to ensure my ship isn't stripped when i return to it, like hiding it somewhere.

Your first criticism is justified but I don't think the second is. Weird crap happening to heroes is pretty much all of story telling.

The mandalorian goes to a planet to search for a target. He has a tracker. He lands. He's a long way from his target, which for some reason can only be reached by riding certain creatures. Why didn't he just fly to much closer to the target? Ok, doesn't want to be spotted on radar or whatever, but could have got much closer. There was a nod towards some broken terrain, which if we are to believe completely surrounds the target, it still could have been passed by a man on foot jumping over the narrow cracks.

But of course, if he had done this, then he wouldn't have had the whole business with meeting the guy who helps him or having his ship stripped by Jawas.

Oh yeah, jawas, on this planet, which isn't Tatooine, but they are totally there. Fan service i guess. Not saying Jawas haven't spread around the galaxy, but just to happen to be on that planet and just to happen to find the mandalorian's ship. And apparently the mandalorian's ship has no automated defenses to stop it being stripped or any sort of comms to alert him of damage, and apparently there isn't any sort of wikipedia in this universe where you can look up what sort of risks exist on these planets and maybe you know, think, ah, jawas, maybe i should do something to ensure my ship isn't stripped when i return to it, like hiding it somewhere.

Yoda is only 50 years in the series (baby) so this happened long before the StarWars trilogy began, and when it comes to the narrow cracks I had also ridden a blurg we don't know how many cracks you need to pass or what gravity the planet has, and scrap collectors like jawas probably know how to bypass automated defenses on an unmanned landed ship ;)

Last edited:
360/5000

Yoda is only 50 years in the series (baby) so this happened long before the StarWars trilogy began, and when it comes to the narrow cracks I had also ridden a blurg we don't know how many cracks you need to pass or what gravity the planet has, and scrap collectors like jawas probably know how to bypass automated defenses on an unmanned landed ship ;)

Its not Yoda and the series happens after the third film IIRC.

Gravity looked standard 1.0, as it does in just about every star wars film, even when the falcon hides in that asteriod, it somehow looks like 1.0g when it should be effectively 0g.

Bro i got disney+, i was overwhelmed by the amount of content available on it. Sooo many older 90s marvel cartoons, all the star wars and mcu with exception of the spiderman movies, 30 years of simpsons, all of pixar, all the old disney classics and some national geographic programing too.

It being only $6.99 a month kills because netflix and hulu are both more costly even if still necessary because of original programming like castle rock and wi tang on hulu and stranger things, umbrella academy and other netflix originals. And thos are just shows i like. I have no id a what shows you might like but im sure its all there in spades

The thing is, this exclusivity trend is annoying. I don't want to subscribe to at least half a dozen streaming services just to stay on top of it.
And Disney+ won't get a penny out of me. It's like what Epic is trying to do with their store, and therefore i exercise my power as a tiny consumer
by not investing my money on that trend. RDR2 and Shenmue 3 make it quite hard to stick to that principle, but still won't give them a penny.

And Disney will suck SW so dry in such a short amount of time, people will get bored of it soon.

360/5000

There are extremely subtle hints towards this being a clone perhaps. During the scene where he's being offered the job the guy who enters the room and startles the mandolorian appears to have what looks like the same insignia that was on all the clones in AOTC

The thing is, this exclusivity trend is annoying. I don't want to subscribe to at least half a dozen streaming services just to stay on top of it.
And Disney+ won't get a penny out of me. It's like what Epic is trying to do with their store, and therefore i exercise my power as a tiny consumer
by not investing my money on that trend. RDR2 and Shenmue 3 make it quite hard to stick to that principle, but still won't give them a penny.

And Disney will suck SW so dry in such a short amount of time, people will get bored of it soon.
I see your point. However personally i prefer streaming services to cable. Between netflix, hulu, amazon prime and disney+ the cost isonly like 40% of what my comcast bill used to be. I only pay for disney+ and netflix out of all of it. my bro pays for hulu and my mom pays for amazon. And we share the accounts. I pay roughly $23 a month for what i consider to be way better than cable. This is just my view of it but it looks great from where im standing

Its not Yoda and the series happens after the third film IIRC.

Gravity looked standard 1.0, as it does in just about every star wars film, even when the falcon hides in that asteriod, it somehow looks like 1.0g when it should be effectively 0g.

Yep you were right about Yoda it is not him but according to the Star Wars timeline The Mandalorian is set after Return of the Jedi so Yoda is already dead but perhaps reborn or cloned in The Mandalorian serie :D

Top Bottom