Newcomer / Intro The many external tools...

Greetings,

Can't sleep anymore hence I might as well try to learn a bit more here on this game. I was looking at a discussion where people shared ship builds from the impressive coriolis spread sheet.

Curious, there is no ABOUT on this website, but some github stuff. Who made all this?

So, there is coriolis, eddb, eddi, edsm, voice attack, and what have you not, available to enhance the games usability. While I was reading up on EDDI, because I was wondering how I can get my build efforts into coriolis, well, I did not need to read much more, because all of them goddies can not be used by xbox users, PS4 probably either.

On PC, if my understanding is correct, these tools become an integer part of the game via sort of an API by Fdev. What I saw is someone talking and giving voice commands, the ship followed commands, and the ship provided spoken informations on the system approached etc. If I got that right, they even have James Tiberius Kirk as a voice option. ROFLMAO, how cool is that. Then again, I would have prefered Mr. Spock instead.

Really nice and by all means useful stuff for a game with a considerable learning curve and depth !

So I sit here in my Python cockpit with a laptop on my knees, entering numbers into coriolis by hand. That is sooooo 21st century isn't it? ;)

That made me wonder, shouldn't all these external tools not be part of the core game? Voice control, coriolis, eddb etc. Personally, I think so.... ymmv

Mental note to self: RESIST!

...You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous only....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....

Last edited:
Greetings,

Can't sleep anymore hence I might as well try to learn a bit more here on this game. I was looking at a discussion where people shared ship builds from the impressive coriolis spread sheet.

Curious, there is no ABOUT on this website, but some github stuff. Who made all this?

So, there is coriolis, eddb, eddi, edsm, voice attack, and what have you not, available to enhance the games usability. While I was reading up on EDDI, because I was wondering how I can get my build efforts into coriolis, well, I did not need to read much more, because all of them goddies can not be used by xbox users, PS4 probably either.

On PC, if my understanding is correct, these tools become an integer part of the game via sort of an API by Fdev. What I saw is someone talking and giving voice commands, the ship followed commands, and the ship provided spoken informations on the system approached etc. If I got that right, they even have James Tiberius Kirk as a voice option. ROFLMAO, how cool is that. Then again, I would have prefered Mr. Spock instead.

Really nice and by all means useful stuff for a game with a considerable learning curve and depth !

So I sit here in my Python cockpit with a laptop on my knees, entering numbers into coriolis by hand. That is sooooo 21st century isn't it? ;)

That made me wonder, shouldn't all these external tools not be part of the core game? Voice control, coriolis, eddb etc. Personally, I think so.... ymmv

Mental not to self: RESIST!

...You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous only....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....

Resistance is futile.

As a bonus according to one poster, on the PC the cockpits are finished off in a much finer grain leather.

Isn't it lovely, you can't sleep, and the first thing you read is that the US/NATO will have their military games in Europe 2020, "Defender 2020" deploy 20.000 further US troops into Europe, whereby Germany is to play a central role, constituting the largest troop deployment into Europe since 25 years!

Sorry for politics, I shall be excused, but I am from the generation that has friends still alive who were in NAM etc! - Ami go home! -

ok. I shut up now.

What do you mean running third party bits Meta? As I said, I am on xbox.

Yeah aRJay, and they can have their color scheme setup different, which I would bloody pay for to be able to do on xbox.

P.S. Can we skip that christmas e and have spring again now? Thanks!

Good Lord, a political correct spell "e" checker is following me.... LOL

I wonder how many ED veterans would make elite drone pilots...

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

On topic; maybe I can run the game windowed (not tried yet but would prefer not to) so I can use external tools on the second monitor. Right now it's not very practical.

Is Fdev an in-game app people are using to search for stations etc?

<whispers from under the VR headset> "joinnnn ussss....."

:D S

<whispers from under the VR headset> "joinnnn ussss....."

:D S
Very interested in VR headset myself but think I would need to upgrade the PC for it... And get a good joystick at minimum, ideally HOTAS or HOSAS. Or that comming 6dof joystick. That would be great!

I have yet to get my head under a VR setup, never had the chance to test that, but I wonder whether it is advisable to stay there for a few hours, eyes and all, whiich I easily can spend in ED.

Is Fdev an in-game app people are using to search for stations etc?

FDev is Frontier Developments, the company behind ED (and a few other, lesser known, games 😁). There are no in-game apps, although a few apps (like the EDRecon plugin for EDMC) put transparent overlays on the monitor (which are completely useless in VR, as they won't show up in the HMD :mad:, which is why I like the new ED Observatory's voice output).

Searching for stations - I usually use EDDB. Tab out of ED and into EDDB (thankfully, the controls are locked when ED loses the focus), look up what I want to see, copy the system name, tab back into ED, open the Galmap, paste the systme name into the search field.

The OP seems to be on console - might be worth mentioning that both edsm and inara have console updaters now (not sure if they were broke by the recent patch though).

Unsure of the functionality though the comments on the inara one seem to imply it can do ship export. If so I would go for the edsm version, as it will export your ships to coriolis.

I love the 3rd party tools.

Should they be in the base game? Yeah, probably but the thing is that FDEVs, maybe even DBOBE's vision of the game was heavily influenced by the previous SP Elite games, with little understanding of how modders and crowd sourced data work.

If we consider the state of trading back at launch as one example. Back in the day there's lore reasons why systems don't share prices outside of their own system, so for example if I'm on Diso, I don't know how much grain will sell for on Lave. This never made any sense, but made trading a bit of a mini game - I know Agri should sell to Industrial, but I'm always looking for the best route, using paper and pen to record prices or if loaded maybe an early version of a spreadsheet.

Roll on to ED and the same mechanic is in place, but this time clever CMDRs like Slopey, created a tool where all CMDRs could crowd source the data. As the prices didn't fluctuate too much there were certain trade routes and commdoties that were always profitable, meaning that certain stations and commodtities became the only ones traded. Over the years these simple tools have evolved into EDDB and so on so ALL CMDRs with access can basically be assumed to have visited all stations and all commodities, modules etc can be found easily.

To my mind, once FDEV saw that this was happening, they should have had a long think about gameplay. How do we stop a new CMDR "cheating" the system and removing an aspect of gameplay that arguably added a lot to earlier games?

Crowd sourced data is all well and good but it needs to be collected. Why do commanders collect it? To find the best routes. So the solution, to me at least, is to make things in the FDEV galaxy a lot, lot more dynamic. We've seen a bit of this in the new system states and I'm not sure if the engine could actually handle a dynamic economy, but the idea would be that there are short term, mega profitable routes (like how real food and beer, and ciggies are always going to be ++ expensive at a station that's finis nusquam asinum, rather than one that's visited all the time. Again, you could tie in ship and module availability depending on how many basic materials are supplied.

I hope it happens one day!

To the OP, on PC the essential tools for me are (and these are all overlay based to stop ALT-Tabbing) EDMC with the EDR overlay, Trade Computer Mk II and ED Engineers.

(links are all out the to excellent ED Codex)

The OP seems to be on console - might be worth mentioning that both edsm and inara have console updaters now (not sure if they were broke by the recent patch though).

Unsure of the functionality though the comments on the inara one seem to imply it can do ship export. If so I would go for the edsm version, as it will export your ships to coriolis.

Yes I am... voice breaks...grmmmble... muttering.... cursing like the fish & chips wife.... if they knew.... I throw a blanket over that piece of !@*& when visitors are in the house.... switching back to calm and sweet voice.... on an Xbox.

I must look that up, thanks for that.

To you VR chaps.... for how long do you stay in that VR, that is without your balls being cut off and you not even noticing.... LOL

Top Bottom