The mapping gold rush in 3.3

When 3.3 goes live, and the "mapping gold rush" begins, where do you plan to be? I suspect that thousands of commanders will be camping out around the most notable locations in the bubble that can be mapped, such as engineer homeworlds, etc. Not to mention famous notable locations, such as Mitterand Hollow.

I'm tempted to try to do some tagging in and around the bubble, but on the other hand, most of the interesting locations will probably get tagged while I'm still downloading the client patch. So other ideas might include some nebula locations, or other more far-flung points of interest.

I suspect a lot of people will also want to immediately map some of their own personal finds, or bodies that are of specific interest to them, but not likely to be rushed to by the general player base.

Where do you plan to be?

I'm like 50kly away from the bubble... so wherever I am I'll likely be the first there anyways.

Yeah I was coming back from there, but aside from it being a landmark spot, there is not much of interest out there. Its pretty cold and dead. Ill just end up where I end up.

Well if you really want to scrawl your name on the galaxy, the way isn't mapping. That just affects a single body/system. Codex discoveries are going to be the true day-zero gold rush. Those are very limited, and will get seen every time a commander looks up a particular type of object.

At least one of us already figured that out. The Beta codex tells me that most of the Guardian artifacts were first reported by a certain commander we know well, in Shinrarta of all places, the day the beta lit up. Cute trick! Of course, if anyone pulls that stunt when 3.3 goes live, I propose we declare them responsible for answering all questions in years to come from new pilots wondering why they can't find artifacts in the bubble. :D

Yeah, I'm probably going to skip the gold rush myself, or maybe just tag one interesting system, but otherwise I'll just be wherever I end up. ;)

Certainly it's interesting to consider, such as tagging Mitterand Hollow, Beagle Point, or something along those lines. But it doesn't serve much in the long run, other than just the fun of "winning the race" so to speak.

The codex discoveries would be great to put your name on, but I'm not sure how many of those you can plan to put your name on, since we don't know where everything will be, aside from what was found in the beta, but not all of that may be in the same exact places at launch.

I may just end up mapping the system I did my planetary circumnavigation in, and then just go back to general exploring. Undecided.

The codex discoveries would be great to put your name on, but I'm not sure how many of those you can plan to put your name on, since we don't know where everything will be, aside from what was found in the beta, but not all of that may be in the same exact places at launch.

Don't forget, every type of star and planet has a Codex entry. First to scan a rocky-ice-planet-with-atmosphere? Bang, your CMDR name is immortalized for all time in the "first reported by" field. So I'm guessing there will be a race to be the first to load up the game and scan a black hole and such stuff.

Don't forget, every type of star and planet has a Codex entry. First to scan a rocky-ice-planet-with-atmosphere? Bang, your CMDR name is immortalized for all time in the "first reported by" field. So I'm guessing there will be a race to be the first to load up the game and scan a black hole and such stuff.

Oh that's a good point, and it's per sector too. So just pick a sector and start scanning. Good idea. :)

I first discovered ~50 planetary nebula in the core back in 2016, and I'm planning to first map them, too. I already have them all bookmarked, and will probably be in the area when the patch goes live. I don't suspect there will be any competition for these at all--they are all fairly out of the way (with the exception of 2-3 that are within a few thousand light years of Colonia). I know it's petty, but I really don't want to share my original accomplishments with anyone else.

As far as how the community will respond to the "mapping gold rush"? Yeah, I think a bunch of players are going to camp historical sites and well-traveled places around the bubble. However, I think most people that consider themselves explorers will still value "first discovered" over "first mapped." The exception will be for codex entries, as some others have mentioned.

I don't care about mapping popular or known locations, I'm more interested in exploring new places and mapping the unknown. Anyone who wants to map the tourist spots can have them in my opinion. :cool:

I think the key locations in the bubble should already be mapped because otherwise that would seem a tad strange if the early explorers had colonized a system but just so happened to have forgotten to map the planets.

Planning on revisiting all the ELW's I discovered and mapping them. And perhaps even mapping all the other planets in their systems. Just because.

(If we ever get atmospheric landings and can also land on ELW's, I'll go visit them again. Especially the one ELW with rings I found. That might even be the first I go land on.)

All that mapping is good for is to magically pinpoint surface POIs, plus if you're the first to do it, then to get a second tag and a nice bunch of credits. Personally, I'm not really bothered by the prospect, and certainly not enough to try and rush to get my name on something that someone else has already discovered.

As for Codex entries: bear in mind that we don't know if the firsts there will be populated from the scan data already present in release, or if it'll be the first after the Codex goes live. The old stuff, that is - the new certainly won't be there at launch. (Just ten seconds after :D)

Pretty sure Mitterand Hollow won't be mappable. It's in a pre-Explored system, just like Sol, Achenar, etc. But I'm not in Beta to confirm.

As for my answer to the OP's question, I plan on hovering around my home space. Despite being in the Federation/Empire border region, it's a pretty quiet area of the bubble (most systems have "0-5 ships" on INARA, and usually fewer than 5 ships in the Traffic Reports) and there's plenty of small Unexplored-but-inhabited systems about, so I'm hoping to bag at least a few of those spots.

I'll be at Shinrarta but will immediately head to an EW I located about 12k LY out. She has a boil then freeze orbit around her F class star. Truly an odd-ball I want to map out. Will someone file the claim before me? It is possible and if they do I'll buy them a beer when I get back (then shove a big rock inside their fuel scoop.;)

A race to get your name on famous locations... yeah.... but you weren't the one who first got there, so... that's kinda silly imho.
Anyways I'll be on Christmas Carriers Convoy and will just map valuable stuff I come across on my way to Colonia because I need credits.

I am presently in a sparsely explored area and intend to stay in places like that. Ego does not require peeing on something someone else already discovered, but then I have been called "not a real explorer" elsewhere in the forum by cmdrs that admittedly don't leave the bubble. They are all set to go where everyone else has been before. Great explorers. Whatever.

(edit lousy spelling; I hate that)

Last edited:
Top Bottom