The Mapping Project - "Regional Galactic Map Announcement"

6h7393.jpg

The Galactic Mapping team are proud to present the Regional Galactic Map for the Elite Dangerous community.

The regional maps have been a work in progress since the mapping project began back in February 2015. Little by little, as explorers and pioneers traversed the depths of space, they submitted data of their travels to the mapping project to help gradually build up a picture of the galaxy, and over time these player-submitted regions were pieced together.

This week saw the final few pieces of the galactic jigsaw put in place. There are now 55 regions and 9 major galactic arms all mapped out and presented on a high definition map for explorers, chroniclers, and storytellers to use in their journey through the gameworld.

LINK: THE GALACTIC MAPPING PROJECT

Please note that from the outset this project was community driven and the maps, regions, and points of interest it contains, are not officially sanctioned FD names... although some have become adopted by FD over the past 18 months - most notably Beagle Point, Rendezvous Point, Colonia, and lately Hawking's Gap and the Sagittarrii Conflux.

Galactic Preview Map :

AYekL88.png

The above overview map was created by Corbin Moran and the full size poster can be downloaded : Here (56mb)

Galactic Regions :

Example Screenshots :

The Local Bubble...

GlV8xy6.jpg

The Conflux...

QQVlgmf.jpg

Wagar's Reach...

hIbijTM.jpg

Colonia...

LpxkaYz.jpg

The map also includes famous and historical expeditionary routes :

AZxxkb2.jpg

To bring up a wealth of data on individual POIs, simply use the option menu to tailor the map to suit your tourism needs :

hQuhD9n.jpg

Link : EDSM Galactic Map

Link : The Galactic Mapping Project

The Mapping Team :

f1DRXKm.jpg
Project Founder & Custodian (February 19th 2015 - Present)

Historical regional and POI data collation and entry.
Early regional labeling and text descriptions.
Early concept regional polygon creation.
Localized mapping & POI data entry.
PQXVsjR.jpg
Custodian (21st May 2016 - Present)

High-def map production.
Regional labeling and text descriptions.
EDSM regional screenshot incorporation.
O5YB4Zc.jpg

EDSM programming and galactic map incorporation.
Regional polygon creation.
qKQWEfv.jpg

EDDiscovery programming and galactic map incorporation.
High-def map production.
H9bYc2w.jpg

kqtWXzN.jpg
Custodian (26th September 2016 - Present)

[video=youtube_share;Z4kAIB4_M9Q]https://youtu.be/Z4kAIB4_M9Q[/video]

Last edited:
It has been an honour putting this together from all the community input - and a real pleassure to watch the regions grow organically out of the galactic superstructure and player submitted POIs.

The map is progressing all the time due to the input provided by players, and in the mapping team we remain committed to keep improving the map.

We do not intend to modify the number or layout of the galactic regions beyond this point (unless something really extraordinary is added to the game at a later stage (permit regions unlocked?)), but we will continue to work on the features and data of the map.

We hope everyone will use it and enjoy it as well.

Amazing work... and I am referencing it in the upcoming book.

Cheers,

Drew.

:D Yay! That is really awesome!

Last edited:
Glad to see it all working out in the end!

I wonder though: I may have made a suggestion on the map forum about something I submitted a long time ago. I wonder if I can change the name of it to something more interesting?

Glad to see it all working out in the end!

I wonder though: I may have made a suggestion on the map forum about something I submitted a long time ago. I wonder if I can change the name of it to something more interesting?

Yes, we can amend your POIs - just let us know which one :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Is this taking over from the galactic mapping project then?
No, this is part of the same project. We're just announcing that the regional aspect of the mapping project has now been completed. The entire galaxy has been regionalized. Submitting POIs is an on going process via the official mapping project thread (linked in the OP).

No, this is part of the same project. We're just announcing that the regional aspect of the mapping project has now been completed. The entire galaxy has been regionalized. Submitting POIs is an on going process via the official mapping project thread (linked in the OP).
Oh cool :)

It's a superb piece of work!
I have great respect for the team that created this amazing map.
Also a shout out to all the contributing Commanders out there whos exploration efforts helped create this galactic tappestry.

It's a superb piece of work!
I have great respect for the team that created this amazing map.
Also a shout out to all the contributing Commanders out there whos exploration efforts helped create this galactic tappestry.

Hear hear!

I have just updated the list of contributors (and apologies if a name was missed along the way...):

Adeezha, Admiral Spoon, Agony_Aunt, Akira Masakari, Alec Turner, Alistair Hope, Alkibiades, Allitnil, Andrew Gaspurr, AndyBoom, AndyMJ, AnthorNet, Ancient King, Anuranium, ArachAu, Archaicjinn, Archvillain, Argon, Asayanami, bafaut, Bendurion, BigZiggyHD, BL1P, Bluebottle, cmdr over, Commander Alesia, Corbin Moran, Coslnay, Coyote, Crassus, CMDR EfilOne, Cmdr Seamus Harper, drkaii, Derthek, Dobbo, Dominic Hyde, Dommarraa, Draco84oz, DrNoesis, Edelgard von Rhein, edgar, Eisen, empyrean190, Erimus, Esvandiary, Evoflash, excalibus, Ferris, Finwen, Frankymole, Fuchsov, Fuci, Gerakis, Gibbonici, Grebenkov, GregMalcolm, Guy De Lombard, Harper Lewis, Histarium, iain666, Ian Dane, Iridium Nova, Iron Body, Iron Orchid, italktowalls, Jackie Silver, Jaredd, jenos, Jerek, Joghiarius, JKB, Kancro Vantas, Karaya1, kastia, Katejina, kccummings3, Kerenn, killosopher, Kola2, Lance 'Spacecat' D, Lapsang Twobob, Largo Ormand, Leifur Eiriksson, LtOBrien, Lurker, Lyneira, MacrosTheBlack, Maia Posidana, Manae, marx, Marlon Blake, Martín Afonso, Matt Kowalsky, Mikayé, Mindwipe, mjmw, mossfoot, Murishani, NCC71201, Odengard, Olivia Vespera, Orphius, Ozric, Pate, Phers, Pilot Mark, Piso deUorrior, PGleesonuk, Poseidal, Qohen Leth, QuixoticKoala, Sapyx, Satsuma, shadmar, Shanaeri, SirKiwi, SKafre, Souvarine, SpaceMonkeyz, Starlanced, Stulli, Sunny v. Isegrim , Surly_Badger, SvennoJ, Swift Arrow, tachyondecay, Taen, Terrabla'e, Thalkran, TheTick, thundernuns, Thrawn29, tired_man, Traveler, Traveller_GG, Turjan, Tyy’sun Eson, Ultimus, Wheelybob, Whiterose, who?, Whoamus, Yanick, Zenika, Zenith, Ziggy Stardust*, Zil Zalo, Zion Ravescene, Zulu Romeo, 59thLefty

Last edited:
Top Bottom