General / Off-Topic The Mechanics of Immortality

Want to separate from the philosophy part of immortality, and talk about the nuts and bolts of how it's likely to be done.
This will contain science in small doses.

Let's compare a couple of examples, both extremes. This is to make a point.
This young fellow is a bodybuilder named Dallas.

2e68a44b3ac9ec03ec3f636435f2aaff.jpg

You'd think that's a fit hard young guy. He was.

Dallas McCarver sadly and unexpectedly died age 26.
His autopsy report showed that he had a number of problems.
  • Coronary artery disease, affecting 2 big ones
  • Severely enlarged heart, with concentric hypertrophy of left ventricle
  • Enlarged Liver, Lungs and Kidneys, all damaged
  • Thyroid cancer

Those problems we would expect to see in somebody 40-60 years older than he was.

Here's the second example, this time an entire community in Ecuador:

article-2303479-19100054000005DC-716_634x497.jpg

As a group, these people live to be much older than their neighbours in Ecuador, who live the same, eat the same, and even are in the same family.
Fascinatingly, they do not get cancer, or diabetes, or heart disease.

You might say... that they're 20-30 years "Younger" than they should be.

They outlive Dallas by over 60 years on average.

Been digging into this for months. Why is one BIG and one SMALL? Does that matter? How does it work?
Well I finally pieced it together.

I'm going to try to explain this which involves remote islands, exotic lifeforms, and giant stone statues.
It's one hell of a story IMHO, and it directly involves how we age, why we die, and what we can to do to prevent the diseases along the way.

Will post again, after this call out. Sounds like some icky tropical disease this time. Oh well. Have to earn.

Ancestry plays an important role in our health and well being. How we live our lifes will effect the genetic lottery for our grand children and the health issues that they may encounter.
Apparently our DNA alters as we live our lives, Genes will switch on and off depending upon the stresses that we are exposed to duing our reproductive life span and these genetic switches are inherited by our children and grand children. Epigenetics is the study of this phenomena.

It may be possible for a community to experiance comparative longevity to another sample group, even though they both now have exactly the same life styles, diets and daily survival stresses. But because their ancestors 2/3 generations ago did not this is having an effect on them now.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-an-1836-famine-altered-the-genes-of-children-born-d-1200001177
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-famines-make-future-generations-fat
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/science/dutch-famine-genes.html

Vasco's right, as usual.

Ok, so there's this place called Easter Island, which is famous for giant stone heads.

ABMt5MPqoGS9sXyMByR3dU-1024-80.jpg

Back in the 1970's, when music was good, a Canadian expedition to the island was launched by a drug firm called Ayerst. They were looking for new antibiotics, and they sent in a team of scientists to take samples of the soil, amongst other things. Germs of unknown types live in exotic soils. And they might make all sorts of useful compounds, such as ones that kill off other germs.

Fast forward ten years. Music got better, it was the 80's.
A guy named Suren Sehgal (bolded because he gets a lot of credit for what comes next) was studying the soil samples, specifically a germ species there.

It was making a newly discovered substance.

Now, at that time Sehgal was thinking along some humble lines. Like "Maybe this could treat Athlete's Foot" . Because you see, it was killing off funguses ( remember- looking for antibiotics), when a rival company upped and bought out Ayerst.
The new bosses were just not interested in "potential" new molecules, they wanted to just profit from the existing approved drugs in production. SO the order came down to just dump all the samples, and not proceed with development of the new medicine Sehgal had recently just purified and named.

The natives of Easter Island called it Rapa nui.
Sehgal honoured that, and named his new medicine Rapamycin, after the place it came from. But now, he was faced with his lab closing down, and this new thing just getting dumped in the trash. He managed to sneak out some of the samples, stashed it in his home freezer in a bag labelled Do NOT Eat.

Later, after he got transferred to a new lab, he managed to talk them into further development of the compound.
And in Princeton's lab, he made a shocking discovery:

Rapamycin shuts down the immune system.

In fact, every organ transplant ever done is made possible by that same Rapamycin today. And that's WAY bigger than the Athlete's Foot, but it turned out that the rest of the story of Rapamycin was going to be even bigger than that.

Over the past decade, it’s shown promise as a drug that not only can extend life by delaying the onset of aging-related diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease, but also postpone the effects of normal aging. With an eye toward changing the way millions grow older, Novartis, the US$260 billion Swiss pharmaceutical giant, has begun taking the first steps to position a version of rapamycin as the first true anti-aging drug.

Rapamycin is directly connected to both Dallas McCarver and to the Little People of Ecuador.

Bear with me, I'll get there.

Here's more on Rapamycin from a general source.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirolimus

Ok let's dive in.

Rapamycin hits a molecular target and stops it from working. This target is named after the discovered effect, and it's unsurprisingly called
.... the Mechanistic Target of Rapamycin. (MTOR)

It turns out that MTOR is actually 2 similar clumps of substances, all complexed together.
MTOR Complex One is the better studied one, and is responsible for most of the chemistry we have worked out so far. For short, it's called MTORC1.

So one of the things MTORC1 does is run the immune system functions. We know this because Rapamycin shuts that down.
MTORC1 is also involved in a host of other really critical things. One of them is making proteins, growing muscles, and helping cells divide.
It gets switched on when we eat, and switched off when we fast. Specifically, if we eat protein, it turns on.

There are 2 branched chain amino acids that really really hit that ON switch for MTOR.
Leucine, and Arginine.
The richest source of Leucine, the strongest signaller, is Low-fat Parmesan Cheeze, meats, and whey. So Chicken Parma with a milkshake of whey is about the max you can do.

If you are trying to get your muscles to grow, these two are the most important things you can eat to get that signal running. There are other things you can do:
Take Growth Hormone, or Insulin, or Insulin-Like Growth-Factor (IGF), or anabolic Steroids. Intake 20-30 grams of good quality proteins every 4-6 hours to restimulate the MTORC1 effect, following a heavy workout that mechanically switched it on too, a combined effect that you can milk for 48 hours. Next workout, do a little more, and just repeat, with a 2-day optimal break.

Bodybuilders are obsessed with keeping their MTORC1 running 24/7 to get GAINZ. Using the simple info above, and without the pharmaceuticals, I packed on about 20 pounds of muscle while over age 50, in about 3 months, before my injury. Topped off at a beefy 185 pounds, at 5 foot 6 inches, which is sort of like a gorilla.
But that was a bad idea, as we shall come to.

I need not state the obvious. This is the Dallas McCarver pathway.
GTF OFF that pathway NOW if you are on it, and especially, don't amplify the bad with pharmaceutical enhancers.

Here's a link to living longer by reducing Leucine in your food.

After catching the cancer in my brother's chest on a scanner, and talking to an uncle with it too, it became abundantly clear that I am not immune.
I dropped 20 pounds fast by altering diet, and remodulating the chemistry.

We will go into the better approach in the next post, whenever I can make the time.
But if you have come this far, you will be wondering just how much Rapamycin can extend our lives, block our cancers, heart disease fight off dementia, and so on. In rats, about 30% or so.

Here's a study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4207939/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22587563/

But you don't need that substance. Will explain soon.

Last edited:
So after a five day/night extended shift, I got some time off.
This is how it is when you are old( so they make you "senior" with no extra pay, just extra work) but you didn't specialize, so you are still and shall forever be the Resident. It's an honest life; no complaints here if I work for a living. I'm completely happy with the arrangement.

Let's look at a couple things from the other side of the equation: those mystery dwarves in Ecuador. What is going on with them???

To understand it we need to look briefly at the lives of 2 interesting guys.

One is from Romania originally, and he went on to Rambam( yes, that is a real name) Hospital in Israel to study, after surviving WW2 concentration camps as a teen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambam_Health_Care_Campus <-- I feel that you might think I'm joking. So here it is.

Dr Laron went on to study at Mass Gen, and Harvard. He did Pediatrics, and then specialized in the Endocrinology of children. He got a syndrome named after him, and it's called Laron Syndrome, as you have probably guessed. It causes Dwarfism. Back then, he only found it and described it accurately. Nobody knew what the biology was.

So this kind of Dwarfism is found in Jewish people primarily.
How does that explain anything about the New World, like Ecuador?
It turns out that there was a migration to the New World by the people fleeing the Inquisition. From Spain. So here we go- normal sized Jewish people who speak Spanish wind up hiding out in the mountains of Ecuador, carrying the recessive genes for Laron Syndrome.

They intermarry.

And RamBam! ( I cannot resist, sorry)

We get the Dwarves of the Ecuadorian Mountains. It sounds like I'm making this up. But it's true.

Of course, NOBODY had a clue about what was going on, because there are almost no roads up to those remote villages. But there were tales. Tales of the Little People, a great unsolved mystery. That brings us to the second guy, whose story is also interesting.

Back in the 80's, just as I was getting into Med school in Jamaica, a bright young fellow was getting out, in Ecuador. ( Of course.)
Dr. Guevara-Aguirre was his name. In Ecuador, that name means something- not because of the med school guy, but because of his father. Mr. Guevara-Aguirre Senior was a major contractor doing construction and engineering projects there, getting lucrative government work. When his son graduated, it was not a stretch for him to buy a whole hospital and hand it down. Sweet deal, eh? You graduate and RamBam! your pops hands you a hospital to run.

But there was a little catch.
Senior Guevara-Aguirre wanted a bit more from his son; he wanted some bloody excellence. This was the deal: the son could keep and run the hospital for a period of time, for free. But by the end, he had to do medical research, and get it published in the most prestigious journal in all of Medicine.

Fail, and no sweat, just (LOL) pay for the hospital.

Tall order.
Nobody else in Ecuador had pulled it off. Surely, there was something he could research, something so weird and interesting that nobody else had heard of it, something you could find right there in Ecuador if you could get up the mountains - if your pops owned the Road Building Company, and truck fleets and choppers to get you there.
And so, the tall order found a short solution.

Dr. Guevara-Aguirre got his Dwarfism Study published, in the New England Journal of Medicine, (yes that's the best journal) and didn't stop there. He launched an impressive academic career, doing a range of valuable work, and he's still going. He's a powerhouse of a researcher, and a fine doctor, but I would give some serious credit to his father too.

Just take a look at the list of studies the man has done:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...e J[Author]&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=21325617

If you read his first study through, ( take a look see, the abstract is a couple paragraphs in English) you'll see clearly that Guevara-Aguirre correctly figured out that it was Laron Syndrome, but he didn't yet know just how important that was going to be to humanity.

Another man made that connection.

And as interesting as THAT story is, we need to look at the biochem first.

The Biochemistry of Laron Syndrome, AND what to DO --- written for regular people.

Cells in our bodies take orders from other cells somewhere else. The communication is via substances.
It's not that different to any workplace, really, if people gave me an order AND a beer, I might be inclined to obey.

In the Laron Syndrome situation, the orders have to do with growing. A chemical called Insulin-Like-Growth Factor ( IGF) is produced, binds to a receptor for I-G-F on target cells, and that sets up a chain of events.
The chain of events involve making protein and growing. As you might guess, that means MTORC1, our old friend, is involved up to his proverbial eyes. At least he would be, if everything were working properly.

But these Laron Syndrome people are 4 feet tall. Where's the Growth???

Obviously, there is a problem somewhere in the chain of command. It could be anywhere along the reaction sequence, but in the Laron population we know exactly the spot where things get messed up: it is in the Receptor for IGF. And that receptor turns on MTORC1 downstream.

The Receptor is a protein.
That means there's a gene that makes it. And if it's messed up, you do not have to be a genius to guess that the gene code has a mistake. What is that mistake? Who knows/cares. YOU cannot copy that in your life because YOU are not a mutant dwarf. ( That's a general statement, just in case, you ahem actually are a mutant dwarf, which is fine because that makes you a superior human.)

You CAN copy the effects downstream of the receptor instead.

This is how:

Additional investigation to gain insight into the “miraculous” combination of phenotypes exhibited in Laron Syndrome is ongoing. Rodent and Porcine models harboring GHR homolog knock out mutations also display dwarfism, decreased levels of serum IGF-I, increased longevity, and a lower predisposition to insulin resistance and cancer development, recapitulating some of the Laron Syndrome phenotypes3,4. Furthermore, as IGF-I levels can be modulated by diet and nutrition, Dr. Valter Longo believes that information obtained from research on Laron patients can eventually be used to generate a pill to prevent heart disease, cancer, and neurodegenerative diseases. He expects this within the next decade.

Want to wait for ten years to see IF the pill appears? Not me.

We can drop our IGF levels NOW.
The regulation of IGF-I by diet is complex. More than 20 years ago Thissen et al. showed that the plasma concentration of IGF-I drops steeply after a few days of fasting, due to the development of growth hormone (GH) resistance

What?? Starve for days??? Ok, Ok here is another way:

Fontana et al. [38] persuaded six members of the Calorie Restriction Society to reduce their protein intake from 24% to about 10% for three weeks. This resulted in plasma IGF-I falling from 194 ng/mL to 152 ng/mL. Therefore, protein restriction might be effective in reducing IGF-I.

Yeah. A Low Protein diet, specifically low in Leucine and Arginine is what it takes.
That means you have say Oatmeal and fruit, plus maybe a pineapple smoothie in almond milk for breakfast. NO WHEY. NO BCAA's.
It is not a hardship. In fact it tastes pretty good.

Run with a bean and tomato burrito for lunch, chips and hummus snack, and a vege dinner like some minestrone soup.

Get rid of meat, dairy, eggs & fish for most of the meals you eat if you want to drop the IGF levels. Switch to light-medium endurance exercise to increase AMPK levels which inhibit MTORC1.

I ate my guts full everyday for 4 months, and averaged 5 pounds a month loss for 20 pounds cut. Easiest cut ever. BP dropped 20 points too. Cholesterol dropped too. So did inflammation markers. My CRP went down to 0.6 - yes, ZERO point six.

I want to be practical here, because this is now going on to being a bona fide recommendation.
We NEED muscle as we age. It's OK to opt for a low protein diet most of the time in young adulthood, but people over 40 are losing mass, and need to work on keeping their muscle too. So periodically, I think we need to lift weights, and eat our protein, and stay strong, let us say for a 6 week stint? Maybe around Thanksgiving/Christmas, when there's a LOT of meat around, might be a good time for that.
But periodically, it's prudent to cut back, say for some weeks at a time, and just cruise along with lighter endurance type exercise, and a low protein-mostly plant intake. Lose a few pounds. Save a few bucks. Kill off some cancer cells.
The start of the year might be a good time for that, when everybody resolves to eat clean and lose weight.

How you organize it would be up to you. You could continue eating meat and just add in a couple interventions below, for instance. It wouldn't be as powerful, but there'd be benefit.

I just want to finish off with a list of cheap substances that block MTORC1, and will help suppress the bad stuff.

- Curcumin and Black Pepper-
this breaks up MTORC1 into little broken bits, the most powerful intervention here.

Absolutely never ever take this if you are building muscle. You will totally fail. While we are here, add on painkillers like Advil, Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, Olfen, Diclofenac, Ansaid, Aspirin, etc- all of those block the prostaglandin signal to build muscle and you will fail. All the interventions here would theoretically slow muscle gain, so you might want to watch them if your goal is to get mass back.

(Curcumin is in every form of Indian food. How many Olympic medals does India ever win? A billion people. Zero medals. Muscle growth inhibition. But what's going on with the lifespan??) Anyway, guess what? That same Curcumin is just as powerful at killing pain as all those expensive toxic pharmaceuticals, because they are hitting another similar biological pathway. So do a nice long run to drop your IGF and take the Curcumin after for the pain.
I get mine from Jamieson.

Don't buy Indian or Chinese Curcumin, they are putting Lead Chromate in it to make it look more yellow. POISON.
Jason Barron, you most likely think that's a great idea which is good for business, and who am I to stop you? Get yours anywhere you want!

- Epigallocatechin gallate -
Ok, forget pronouncing it. It's just Green Tea, which tastes like muddy water.
Adding milk weakens the effect.
This is what you do- get yourself some nice Kenyan Black tea or English Breakfast, or Earl Grey ( Bergamot also kills cancer) or whatever you like, stick it in the cup with the Green Tea teabag. Brew both together, and you can get something drinkable.
Twinnings sells Green Tea with Peppermint. That isn't bad, just drink it without milk.

You need to hit MTORC1 every 4-6 hours with this suppressant. Not a hardship.
If you want to upgrade the power, use Matcha Tea.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-matcha-green-tea-cancer-stem.html

They also found that the signaling pathways that promote cancer stem cells indicated that matcha "strongly affected mTOR signals, weakening components of the 40S ribosome." This raised the possibility that matcha could be used in place of chemical drugs such as rapamycin.

I'll be drinking that while the Pharmaceutical Industry comes up with the pill, and after they do, I'll still be drinking my tea.

-Fisetin-
Found in fruits, especially in Strawberries and Apples.
No hardship there. Soak em in strong salt water for ten minutes to neutralize the pesticides before you eat, and just rinse them off well in cold water first.

Fisetin, a natural flavonoid found in a variety of edible and medicinal plants, has been suggested to possess anti-tumor activity (13,22). Fisetin inhibits the proliferation, metastasis and invasiveness of lung cancer cells (23,24). A similar anti-tumor effect of fisetin has been observed in preclinical studies of colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer and melanoma (25-28), and it has been indicated that phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K)/protein kinase B (Akt)/mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR) may be the target signaling pathway of fisetin

- Quercetin -
Found in Capers( yum) Red Onions, and to a lesser extent in things like cranberries. High concentrations in Sorrel.
Quercetin blocks mTOR according to a German study, that says:
Several beneficial health effects are associated with the dietary uptake of this bioflavonoid, including alleviating effects on chronic inflammation and atherosclerosis. A variety of in vitro data indicate a possible use of quercetin for cancer treatment purposes through its interaction with multiple cancer-related pathways. Among these, recent data reveal that quercetin can inhibit mTOR activity in cancer cells. Inhibition of the mTOR signaling pathway by quercetin has directly been described

Just a brief note on Sorrel:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/antioxidant-content-of-3139-foods/

It's a winner. By a country mile. You want this in your day, not just for the mTOR blockade.

- Sulphorophane -
Found in cruciferous vegetables like Cauliflower, Broccoli, Broccolini, Brussels Sprouts etc.
This compound is potent. I'd rank it just below the Curcumin. Look it up - you will be amazed at the chemistry.

It does not only work on mTOR, but has multiple powerful pathways that induce reversal of ageing, which I cannot go into here. We consume this stuff more than once a day, everyday, here. One of the things it does is remove pro-carcinogenic particles in the bloodstream. Put it directly on a cancer cell culture, and it whacks them like it was a Big Pharma Toxic Chemo agent. Only, cheap, and without the toxic effect. Yeah. Your blood becomes an anticancer agent when you eat the stuff.

Here, see for yourself: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4354933/

Chop up your veges raw, leave them for an hour or so, and THEN cook to get the max effect of the compound. Curry the Broccoli with tumeric to get Curcumin into the dish for extra superpower. Stay away from the frozen stuff. They blanch it before freezing, and kill off the glucoraphanin enzyme that makes the sulforophane. There's a way around that but the post is already tooo long.

Again- just a reminder.
All these substances STOP effective muscle growth. If you are training for mass, abstain from them during the process. Lift hard, Eat delicious Chicken Parmesan, and drink your whey every 6 hours. Your mTOR will skyrocket. Fuel your energy with something cheap and effective like potatoes or oats. Bear in mind the costs are including atheromatous disease, erectile dysfunction, kidney damage, enlarged heart, slowed cognition, neurodegenative diseases, etc.

But remember please, not to train like that for too long. If you are looking out for cancer, DON'T do it at all. Go with mobility/balance/endurance/skill or any other modality.

Last edited:
Ok that is all very interesting, some of it I knew, some of it I didn’t, like lead in curcumine from India, I normally buy lots of bags when I’m there to get the right stuff, but now I see this could be a bad idea.

Red meat you need to reduce, white meat is better, no meat at all is bloody hard and I will never be a Vegan even if I will be 200 years old. I like a good steak, but I also know I need to cut it to a minimum.

Can we live forever? Yeah I guess so, our DNA is programmed with a flaw that kicks in at around age 25, after that each copy is full of flaws and in the end death. Think of it as taking a copy in a xerox machine, each time using the copy you just made.

Perfect copies are done electronically, and as mentioned in this thread, some life forms can actually do just that. Why do we have a built in dna bomb? Well maybe we’re not supposed to live forever.

our DNA is programmed with a flaw that kicks in at around age 25, after that each copy is full of flaws and in the end death.

Your DNA and your body as a whole are accruing damage from the first moment you exist (and often before that); you just reach a point where the pace of the damage you accumulate outstrips the body's ability to repair itself.

Perfect copies are done electronically, and as mentioned in this thread, some life forms can actually do just that. Why do we have a built in dna bomb? Well maybe we’re not supposed to live forever.

If our DNA was immune to mistakes, we'd never have existed. The mistake, filtered through selection pressures, is the driving force behind evolution. A gene replication system that cannot mess up cannot change...not in nature anyway.

We haven't evolved to live longer because there was were no overwhelming selective pressures to. If you live long enough to reproduce and help raise the next generation or two (the grandmother effect is an interesting hypothesis) of offspring, then more life expectancy does nothing to make your genes more evolutionarily fit.

Your DNA and your body as a whole are accruing damage from the first moment you exist (and often before that); you just reach a point where the pace of the damage you accumulate outstrips the body's ability to repair itself.

If our DNA was immune to mistakes, we'd never have existed. The mistake, filtered through selection pressures, is the driving force behind evolution. A gene replication system that cannot mess up cannot change...not in nature anyway.

We haven't evolved to live longer because there was were no overwhelming selective pressures to. If you live long enough to reproduce and help raise the next generation or two (the grandmother effect is an interesting hypothesis) of offspring, then more life expectancy does nothing to make your genes more evolutionarily fit.

Red meat you need to reduce, white meat is better, no meat at all is bloody hard and I will never be a Vegan even if I will be 200 years old. I like a good steak, but I also know I need to cut it to a minimum.

Yes, very reasonable position. Being completely vegan causes deficiencies and requires supplements. An intermittent meat meal fixes that.

There is another arguement too : a full supply of amino acids from food is the same no matter if from meat or veges. It's not the source so much as the amount per dose/meal.

Biochem is all well and good, but people have to actually enjoy their lives. The more we figure out, the more ways we can skin this cat.

A triple drug combination has been used to extend the lifespan of fruit flies by 48 percent in a new study.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190930161857.htm

Yay! Longer lived Flies!!
Just what the world needs!

The three drugs are all already in use as medical treatments: lithium as a mood stabiliser, trametinib as a cancer treatment and rapamycin as an immune system regulator.

Ok, the article is not wrong in giving the existing uses of these drugs. But the biochemistry being modulated has nothing to do with those uses directly.
Like almost all the neuropsychiatric drugs, Lithium acts on mTOR, and induces autophagy. It's also involved in boosting insulin sensivitity by inhibiting GSK3.
That's the key mechanism here, not the fruit flies' mood.
Seriously. :rolleyes:

Trametinib is a Ras-RAF-MEK-ERK pathway inhibitor.

330px-MAPKpathway_diagram.svg.png

This is one of the things I've been studying over the last few months.
It basically switches on a whole bank of genes, and has a wide ranging set of effects. Overactivity causes a number of cancers.
What that means is that there are more DNA errors when the pathway is overactive, because the checking mechanics are suppressed.

If anybody is still interested in reading this, I'd like to look into two things later- Autophagy and Longevity diets.

Last edited:
AUTOPHAGY.

There are a few ways to keep up with research. If you are not in a particular field, one way to just keep an eye on it is to follow the Nobel prizes.

Well back in 2016, the Nobel in Physiology/Medicine was won by a guy named Ohsumi.
(Admittedly, Doctor OhSumi is probably a terrible name for a doctor if you speak English. Ahem. He's Japanese. So that's not an issue.)

He won that for working out the details of Autophagy. This was considered to be about as glamorous as garbage trucking, back then.

Autophagy means self-eating, and refers to the mechanism where our bodies remove and recycle bits that have stopped working, or are no longer needed. And that function is surprisingly complex. It's also directly connected to immortality.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44005092 <- short intro here.
"What we've discovered is that it protects against diseases like Parkinson's, Huntington's and certain forms of dementia," said Dr Rubinsztein.

...tissue-specific overexpression of single autophagy genes is sufficient to extend lifespan.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41580-018-0033-y

One vital factor is the specific autophagy of mitochondria.
Almost all of our chemical energy is made in these structures. As we age, they start malfunctioning. Old cells can be burdened with a percentage of their mitochondria just dormant, not working at all. They make a number of crucial compounds we need

• ATP, the basic currency of cell energy
  • NAD, a compound SO important that there's a whole research thrust going on, called the "NAD fad", amongst other things it's used to fix DNA
  • Heme, used to make red blood cells
We simply cannot afford to leave these mitochondria shut down if we are going to extend life. But similarly, every other kind of organelle does important stuff. And autophagy can clean them all up.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqs1WzTwBEU

The most widely known way to get your personal autophagy going is to FAST. There is a great deal of hype about this these days. But there are 2 world renowned sources who have done the legwork, and they have 2 recommendations.

Dr. Sachinanda Panda ( fun to say out loud)
- suggests people intermittently fast for 12 hour periods.

Dr. Valter Longo
- suggests periodic five day semi-fasts, using a longevity protocol called Prolon.
These 5 day events can be done 2-6 times a year. They have a much stronger effect on autophagy than just daily intermittent fasting.

I have done 5 day water only fasts twice this year. Each time, weight drops by around 2-3 pounds, long term. In the short run, I drop 10 or more pounds, but that is a lot of water in the glycogen- not permanent loss.
Following these events, it's important to refeed, rest a few days, and then start rebuilding your mitochondrial pool by doing hard HIIT or endurance training. It takes about 6 weeks retraining, but the gain in performance is substantial.

The biggest improvement I got was cognitive. My wife thinks I'm smarter than before; and work performance has improved significantly enough for colleagues to comment. It's like taking Limitless - sort of. The brain effects are strong, as this study indicated- 20% cure rate for Multiple Sclerosis
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211124716305769

The potential benefit of fasting was an accidental discovery. In a study on mice immunized to develop MS, one mouse had abnormal teeth.
Dr. Cross said, "That particular mouse that couldn't eat well didn't get it."

When his teeth were fixed, the mouse ate better and soon developed the animal model of the disease.
https://abc7chicago.com/health/inte...ultiple-sclerosis-symptoms-research-/5594113/

If you want to get some additional chemical induction of your autophagy going, here's a list within this study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2856980/

Many of these medicines are already in wide use. As you might imagine, my 86 year old father is on some of them, as part of his Parkinson's reversal.

CAUTION:
Some sources claim that ketogenic diets help with autophagy. That's probably true.
But they also shorten lifespan. We need a lot more research here to be clear on the benefits, and specifics of how to use this. Or if to avoid it.
Stick to Longo and Panda. They've done the research directly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom