The Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology|Beyond

Hello CMDRS!

If you are like me then you are most likely sitting there, patiently awaiting news on the release of Elite|Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One, and man is that waiting killing you. Beyond will bring with it some much needed love to the core of Elite and as the year progresses more and more of what Elite is will be polished and expanded. With that in mind, the MWSOG decided it was time for a revamp.

So, here is the new MWSOG:Beyond:

With the possible influx of new players and the renewed interest in exploration thanks to some snazzy new planetary colors, I have a feeling that these beautiful gems FDev have placed on planet surfaces, in the forms of Geysers/Fumaroles and Organics, are going to see a lot of love. That is my hope, at least, and so I wanted to give those new sights a wonderful place to call home. The MWSOG|Beyond website, now in collaboration with Canonn, will offer the most accurate catalog of Geysers/Fumaroles/Organics and more. On display will also be the latest issues of GALACTIC GEOLOGIST, and the most up to date geological reports and surveys.

This world FDev have created for us is so full of wonders and magic and filled with such a wonderful community, it's great to be even the smallest part of that. I hope you all enjoy and remember to fly safe!

o7!

NOTE: Clicking "Detailed Spreadsheets" leads to our catalog, the first catalog you get is for 3.0 and beyond, however, you can click the Pre 3.0 button to get the current catalog we have. Thank You!

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm hoping that volcanism and the likes will continue to grow. They really are one of the best things in Elite, yet are sometimes overlooked due to their difficult nature to find outside of tourist destinations.

Is this basically an update/revamp of ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...Fumarole-Location-Catalog-and-Data-Collection

I currently point to that thread (which I guess will lead them to MWSOG) from the "Useful reference lists" section of my "Best of Forum" and seeing as that thread is still pretty active I'm tempted to leave that as it is. Perhaps I should add an additional link alongside it pointing directly to the MWSOG site?

Correct, this is a revamp for 3.0 because some sites will disappear so instead of trying to confirm I figured it was best to just start anew. I'm hoping the website will be the go to resource for all of this while the thread will remain for those who don't want to use the website or for any discussion and the like. Again, I'm hoping that people will use the website instead of just saving the sheets as I think going to the website will be a nice experience in itself. Anyways, if you have the link to the thread then that should be good enough as they will eventually end up at the website. If you do want to add the actual website in there, I don't mind either, maybe get more traffic to it. It really is a nice site and I'm hoping to add more features to it as Beyond evolves.

Correct, this is a revamp for 3.0 because some sites will disappear so instead of trying to confirm I figured it was best to just start anew.

Wow, so we are really starting over with empty datasheets then?

Since we are unsure of how many sites will still be in place or not, it might be a good idea to use the old sheets as a reference and then one by one confirm whether or not they are still in the same locations or whether they have moved for 3.0. Plus any old sites which remain in place will likely look different anyway due to the new planet surfaces. Sounds like a great exploration expedition actually: verifying discovery sites. :cool:

Wow, so we are really starting over with empty datasheets then?

Since we are unsure of how many sites will still be in place or not, it might be a good idea to use the old sheets as a reference and then one by one confirm whether or not they are still in the same locations or whether they have moved for 3.0. Plus any old sites which remain in place will likely look different anyway due to the new planet surfaces. Sounds like a great exploration expedition actually: verifying discovery sites. :cool:

It actually could be. The new sheets have a link to the old sheets so they won't be lost forever since there were some pretty good finds. Anybody who wants to do some confirmation can go ahead and use those sheets. I'll add an editable category that will allow for a yes or no if it exists in beyond and if it does they will be moved over to the new sheets. So far the only ones I've been confident of are the Organic sites as it seems none of the guardian trees have moved so I've already moved those over to the new sheets. I was upset at first but seeing as everything is going to look different it won't feel the same and I'm excited to see if some of these sites exist.

Correct, this is a revamp for 3.0 because some sites will disappear so instead of trying to confirm I figured it was best to just start anew. I'm hoping the website will be the go to resource for all of this while the thread will remain for those who don't want to use the website or for any discussion and the like. Again, I'm hoping that people will use the website instead of just saving the sheets as I think going to the website will be a nice experience in itself. Anyways, if you have the link to the thread then that should be good enough as they will eventually end up at the website. If you do want to add the actual website in there, I don't mind either, maybe get more traffic to it. It really is a nice site and I'm hoping to add more features to it as Beyond evolves.

Cool - OK. I've added a new link alongside the old one.

Deleted member 38366

D
What about the 4Q 2nd revamp (Exploration Update) though?

IMHO new Players will find it hardly encouraging that potentially hundreds of Site discoveries over the last 2 years got wiped out.
Since zero regard was given to these Discoveries ("that's just how it is/that just happened"), it would appear extremely likely that this could happen again - at anytime (4Q in mind).

We'll have to wait to see how many sites "changed position or type", but I'm not too hopeful.
I'll likely check a bunch, but if a sufficient number has vanished from documented positions, I won't spend time on verifying more.

What about the 4Q 2nd revamp (Exploration Update) though?

IMHO new Players will find it hardly encouraging that potentially hundreds of Site discoveries over the last 2 years got wiped out.
Since zero regard was given to these Discoveries ("that's just how it is/that just happened"), it would appear extremely likely that this could happen again - at anytime (4Q in mind).

We'll have to wait to see how many sites "changed position or type", but I'm not too hopeful.
I'll likely check a bunch, but if a sufficient number has vanished from documented positions, I won't spend time on verifying more.

While that is a worry, I don't feel it will happen again since these sites were tied to material makeup and that is what changed with the planet colors. It would be nice to know in the future but I don't expect anything. I do think that when the other planet types get the new planet colors what sites we find on those will change but that is about it. As for with Q4, that could do some damage but again if it doesn't touch the material side of planets then these should not be changed. Now why some sites changed in the first place, and why it seems organic sites are still there are another mystery and why I feel we could benefit from a discovery scanner episode on volcanism and what drives it. Also hope that FDev can find a way to keep what sites we find when beyond goes live as hopefully they are now aware of the work people have put in to finding and cataloging these.

In fact I think the only reason things went wrong is because the material mess up causing things to reload and I am also thinking that it only pertains to fumarole sites as that was what was mentioned in the stream, and I don't recall anybody checking on geyser sites in the beta, I believe the only one I attempted to visit was a fumarole site. So it could be that the geyser sites are still there and just fumaroles have moved or changed. Trappist-1 is a good example of what most likely will happen, in the BETA it is a lava spout site but in the live build it is a fumarole.

Last edited:
I visited a few known geyser sites in the beta, they were all exactly where they were supposed to be. Of course that doesn't mean they ALL are, but the ones I visited were.

That's some good news then. Again, when he said fumaroles might have moved or changed to lava spouts that gave me hope that it was only fumaroles. I think i've said this before but that also brought up the quesiton of what exactly determines whether you get a fumarole or geyser site or lava spout site? Need to remember to ask that next time they are answering questions

Deleted member 38366

D
I visited a few known geyser sites in the beta, they were all exactly where they were supposed to be. Of course that doesn't mean they ALL are, but the ones I visited were.

That's indeed very good news.
Since I'm in the bubble waiting for V3 to hit and to pick up a Chieftain/prepare Equipment for Colonia Transfer, I'll dig up my old Site list and verify my old sites from the northern bubble as soon as V3 goes live :)

Top Bottom