the Misadventures of an Aspiring Cartographer.

That's someone who makes maps by the way...

I love E:D, and look very forward to its expansion into a great collaborative game with the coming years. It does indeed seem to be a mile wide and an inch deep at the moment; but give it time and I am sure we will get very lost looking for the bottom.

I love exploring, so much so in fact that is is my predominant source of income, and I am looking forward to getting my space-suit clad derriere out of my wonderful and Starwinder (which I have affectionately named 'Prime Mover') and upgrading to an Adder soon (hopefully to be dubbed 'What Are the Civilian Applications').

At the moment I am about 66Ly away from Lave, heading roughly core-ward and down with my current course origin at Regulus. I am hoping to take a look around the small cluster of alliance aligned systems there, maybe taking a little cruise around my Lave pill to get the Adder up to my needs and them looking at doing some proper exploration, taking her out to the Pleiades and Aries Dark Sectors. not the most original of plans I'm aware, but I haven't done it yet, and I am sure I can find a slightly different way to get there than those before me.

I'm hoping that jaunt earns me enough for the Cobra III, and some choice modules to boot, neigh even mayhaps an Asp Explorer, wouldn't that be something!.

Anyway I am about to head out to finish my jaunt to Lave, If I find anything worth mentioning I will be sore to share it here.

Safe travels Pilots o/

So I find myself in the very next system, and some Rat decides he wants to lasso me, fortunately I am a rather well practiced bronco and shake off his unwanted attention...

The next system over though, I find myself FSD-ing between two members of a very distant binary pair, and once I arrive at the other half of the system, I decide to try out my fuel scoop... I should pay more attention to my scan results! Turns out what I thought was a red dwarf ripe for scooping was a brown dwarf, which promptly ripped me out of FSD-drive mode and proceeded to merrily try and cook me, fortunately I hav fitted an HSL prior and made best use of that as the FSD cooled down enough to get me on an escape vector.

So... Rats 0: Stars 1 on that score.

I have now got the hang of using the scoop by the way, and I can cook breakfast on the cockpit canopy glass at the same time!

Only a few systems of note as far as monetary rewards go this time:

URAM: 3,215: 2 stars, one planet and a mess of 'roid belts.
CHEHOONGGU: 4,531: 2 stars, four planets, and more belts. And yes it is spelt that way.

All in all ~14,500 for the trip with ~3,000 worth of data unsellable due to proximity.

Nothing particularly extraordinary outside of those two systems. Now lets see what I can afford...

Last edited:
Damnation, of all the places to stop at, turns out LAVE orbital doesn't have the Adder for sale, although if you want a Cobra III, Eagle or Hauler then you really should stop on by.

Fortunately Lave is in the middle of 4 other Alliance systems, but a little further 'down' n the galactic disk, and at the end of what will be a new PB for single-jump distance (currently 13.5 Ly), is the Arque system, with 3 orbitals, and a host of ring-system planets I have the overwhelming need to go and take a look at.

Wish me luck with my shopping list guys!

And nope... As beauiful as ARQUE is, the 2 Coriolis stations here; Austin Town Station, and Baird Gateway only have the Lakon type 9, and Cobra III for sale. I am so very lookinf forward to having access to local markets without having to dock at each station and orbital... No doubt coming 'soon'(tm)

On the up-side, distance is your friend as a Cartographer, and I managed to sell the other sets of data I had, current balance is sitting pretty at just over 100,000, plus my trade in on my loaner Skywinder is ~46,000 so looking at about 60,000 to play with when fitting out my currently hypothetical Adder.

Last edited:
Looking at where to go next in the Galaxy map and a few of the fronds in my current pill have nothing on the ends regardless of what I do with my view settings... My next stop on the way to one of these frond-end places of Turdetani, and yes I only chose it because it has a word synonymous with poop in the name. I shall report back on my dead-end system as soon as I can. And hopefully find an Adder on the way!

When in doubt, shake it all about! Turns out these nameless, system less fronds were just a rendering oddity for the galaxy map, needed to zoom out a little bit more ^^; silly me I suppose.

I have however found something really, REALLY cool that I have not noticed before...

Those systems without any system data, you could e the first pilot mapping them, which for me is indescribably gratifying. I found 2 systems on my journey between ARQUE and Lei Zi, which I have now scanned out (I think, I could have definitely missed a lot...)

Turdetani System: 4,349
Crucis Sector ER-V B2-0 System: 3,454

So these two systems are worth more than 13 binary pairs from my experience, that is 13 really unlucky jumps worth of systems in less than half that in very lucky jumps :) Lucky me!

Currently an incumbent of Macedo station, and Oculus station, of which I have not seen many so far, and of course it does not have the Adder available, BUT YOU CAN PICK UP A lAKON TYPE-9, or a Cobra Mk III with your hard earned credits.

Also realized that after spending time parallaxing for stars, the same phenomena can be used to look for planets and such around stars as you approach them, which has hopefully just increased my potential earnings as I continue to scout around for an Adder.

Currently on my way to Helios, a star by any other name I suppose :) A few uncharted systems on the way (including what I hope will be some more lucrative Crucis systems), as well as a few settled systems some with multiple Starports.

Hoping to come back soon with some good/interesting news, and if not a few more credits are always welcome.

Well it is time to call it a night as it is now tomorrow.

Made i as far as Korzun Gateway Starport in NEBTETE, and raised an other 10,000 in cartographic data (an other ~3,500 unsellable at the moment because of proximity). No Adder (again)but you can pick in a Sidewinder of your very own, or an Eagle or Hauler.

I have an other 7 jumps to Helios, with 5 Starports and 4 orbitals in 2 charted systems, along with 4 currently uncharted systems to monetise.

All this celestial voyeurism in my hunt for an Adder!

Also made the leap from Mostly Aimless to Scout at some point today!

Safe journeys pilots, and I will be checking in again tomorrow o/

Last edited:
Makes for a good read! I recently got an adder and am also keen to explore. Still mostly aimless at the moment though!

Finally! Working my way down to Helios and stopped off in Kotov Starport in the imaginatively named LP 792-33 system.

Unloaded 2,500 worth of cartography data (and an other 4,000 to be sold after Iget far enough away) and I finally come across an Adder, not just an adder though, Kotov has 10 different hulls for sale:

Sidewinder
Lakon Type-9 Heavy
Type-7 transport
Type-6 transport
Hauler
Adder
Cobra Mk III
Federal Dropship

So I can finally move out of what has been a hugely useful and fun Sidewinder... Yes indeed this is where the 'Prime Mover' and I art company. For those who are interested in such things the fittings I have are:

Hull:
Sidewinder ('Prime Mover')
Hardpoints:
Utility: Heat Sink Launcher

Internal:
PowerPlant - D2
FSD - C2
Life Support - D1
Power Distributor - D1
Sensors - D1
Fuel Tank (cap 2) - C1
Shield Generator - D2
Fuel Scoop - D2
BDS - E1

Which has a trade-in value of 42,691 credits.

Which has given me an unladen jump range of 13.93 Ly and one hell of an enjoyable ride. Time to trade in and up though.

So I am now sat in my Shiny new Adder, and am now pretty much all spent out on parts.

Internal:
Bulkheads: Lightweight Alloys - /1
Power Plant - D2
Thrusters - D3
FSD - C3
Life Support - E1
Power Distribution - C2
Sensors - E3
Fuel Tank (Cap 8) - C3
Fuel Scoop - D2
Shield Generator - E3
BDS - E1

So now my jump range is up at 15.39LY

With the top-mark FSD the Adder will exceed 20LY jumps, and I'm sure I will find more prts I can rip out or modift to squeeze a little more throw from the FSD. Now then, onwards to Helios, and from there? I guess I'll decide once I get a better feelign for the 'What about the civilian Applications'

That's someone who makes maps by the way...

I love E:D, and look very forward to its expansion into a great collaborative game with the coming years. It does indeed seem to be a mile wide and an inch deep at the moment; but give it time and I am sure we will get very lost looking for the bottom.

I love exploring, so much so in fact that is is my predominant source of income, and I am looking forward to getting my space-suit clad derriere out of my wonderful and Starwinder (which I have affectionately named 'Prime Mover') and upgrading to an Adder soon (hopefully to be dubbed 'What Are the Civilian Applications').

At the moment I am about 66Ly away from Lave, heading roughly core-ward and down with my current course origin at Regulus. I am hoping to take a look around the small cluster of alliance aligned systems there, maybe taking a little cruise around my Lave pill to get the Adder up to my needs and them looking at doing some proper exploration, taking her out to the Pleiades and Aries Dark Sectors. not the most original of plans I'm aware, but I haven't done it yet, and I am sure I can find a slightly different way to get there than those before me.

I'm hoping that jaunt earns me enough for the Cobra III, and some choice modules to boot, neigh even mayhaps an Asp Explorer, wouldn't that be something!.

Anyway I am about to head out to finish my jaunt to Lave, If I find anything worth mentioning I will be sore to share it here.

Safe travels Pilots o/

Im producing a 2D version of the map currently and my next update will allow players to input their own system data and txt information. It should ready my February if you would like to store your records for now :D I'm really excited to see the journeys that are recorded.

Link here
http://www.edgalaxymap.net/

Made it to HELIOS, currently docked down in McArthur Ring.

As always checked in at UC and it seems I have discovered my 2 most profitable systems to date!

Thraskias:10,192
LP 672-2: 6,266

So looking forward to being able to sell that data on soon.

For those in the area looking for any particular hull they have the following on sale in McArthur:
Sidewinder
Eagle
Hauler
Type-7 Transporter
Asp
Viper
Federal Dropship

So still need to raise some lucre to get the Adder up to a more strenuous excursion, and there is still a lot of 'known space' that needs someone to go give it all a better look, so I am now off 'down' disk from Helios heading roughly counter clockwise around the disk of the Milky Way. this will be I think my longest trip at ~109LY long to a system called MIAPLACIDUS, the route has ~18 uncharted systems (some of which are CRUCIS sectors, so hopefully I will get lucky there again) on the route including the destination, so I am glad I have my fuel scoop. Taking the economic route so there are not any particularly long jumps, in fact looking at the route there are none that exceed 10LY I think. A lot of the 'interesting' looking stars in the map are already charted but I think I will make headway towards MU VELORUM after MIA' should I still need to raise some more money.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Im producing a 2D version of the map currently and my next update will allow players to input their own system data and txt information. It should ready my February if you would like to store your records for now :D I'm really excited to see the journeys that are recorded.

Link here
http://www.edgalaxymap.net/

What data would you like saved? Just the carto' stuff or station facilities etc too?

Last edited:
What data would you like saved? Just the carto' stuff or station facilities etc too?
That's more or less up to you. It can include any interesting or useful information. Youll be recording you journey and you can share any of your findings like if a system you cross has alot of metalic rings rich with palladium or if you find a system with 3 large stars. And you can even write at the bottom. "Founded by Iniaes" so that your findings will be forever recorded in the history of Elite

That's more or less up to you. It can include any interesting or useful information. Youll be recording you journey and you can share any of your findings like if a system you cross has alot of metalic rings rich with palladium or if you find a system with 3 large stars. And you can even write at the bottom. "Founded by Iniaes" so that your findings will be forever recorded in the history of Elite

Funny you should mention that as I found my first system with 'resource extraction points' in the rings of the giant planets. As for the founded by part... I like it! I like it a lot :)

Funny you should mention that as I found my first system with 'resource extraction points' in the rings of the giant planets. As for the founded by part... I like it! I like it a lot :)

Great! the new update and website layout should be ready before February, and Its going to be a complete overhaul from what it is now. can't wait!

You never know, they might release an API that helps automate this eventually :)

for now I am chasing down a very elusive brown dwarf :/

You never know, they might release an API that helps automate this eventually :)

for now I am chasing down a very elusive brown dwarf :/

That would make me cry.. I've been working really hard on this bit of programing ive made. If they did do that, I'd hope the people would still use the 2D galaxy map becuase you can add your own txt data. Therefore it could be used for trading, well basically anything.

Stopped off on my travels in Walheim Enterpises in HERTHE to effect some repairs and drop of my most recent batch of cartography data, one exceptionally profitable system to not this time:

LP 844-28: 11,329cr

Nothing else particularly exceptional out of that, but I am only a few jumps into the trip.

For those who want to know, the following hulls are available in Walheim Enterprise:

Sidewinder
Eagle
Hauler
Adder
Lakon /type-9 Heavy
Python
Anaconda
Viper
Cobra Mk III
Type-6 Transporter

Always handy to know even out here they are still well stocked!

Last edited:
So made it down to MIAPLACIDUS, and it was a beautiful system, a pair of class A stars in a binary system, made into a trinary by a third member of the system, A Class F.

View attachment 7078

Got the binary pair, and now so do you. I worked out how to use screencap in game.

On the subject of views, the Adder is a lovely ship to fly and I am happy knowing where I am going with the upgrading of the ship, but I really miss the wide-open vistas the Sidewinder cockpit gave me #windowenvy.

also the eventually empty chair next to me is a little disconcerting, moreso than the steam I see when scooping.

An other system of monetary note, TRUKAMPASUK: 5,926cr

View attachment 7080

Looking at the gap I think I may have missed out some planets, so some money still to be made there for someone.

Made a jump across to BETA VOLANTIS after scanning out MIAPALCIDUS, at 12.34LY a new PB for distance. looking forward to breaking 10,000cr for a system.

anyway currently an incumbent of Giger Ring in BETA VOLANTIS and they have the following hulls available:
Sidewinder
Eagle
Type-7 Transporter
Asp
Anaconda
Adder
Viper
Imperial Clipper

Last edited:
Alright Pilots, time for an update.

From HERTHE I headed towards the imaginatively named COL 285 SECTOR RX-Z B14-2, I came across a cluster of names systems, which had not been scanned and thought I would take a poke around in my rather fetching Adder, and I am really glad I did.

Docked down in Naburimannu port in the PI MA WEN system, and summing up my trade in value for this batch of cartography data.

I have come across a few systems of note including a new PB for most bodies in a scanned system, which is also my most rewarding system so far:
AITVANI system - 12,933cr - 29 bodies (discounting asteroid belts)

View attachment 7201

Some other valuable systems include:
CD-59 1724 - 4,882cr
View attachment 7204

HSUA BUMI - 7,729cr
View attachment 7204

KAN AJANA - 6,435cr
View attachment 7205

ARIGE - 4,608cr
View attachment 7207

GLIESE 9224 - 7,768cr
View attachment 7206

so easily the most profitable exploration run to date with a total of 77,840cr worth of data to sell on to UC!

I can see a few uncharted systems nearby, named and with yellow/orange stars, which seem to be where the money is for explorers, although all those red and dwarf star systems in between certainly add up.

View attachment 7208

Still have cockpit envy from my Sidewinder, this canopy ruins the views an explorer should take for granted!

Top Bottom