The multi monitor thread... coz wider is better!

Damnit, stop to harass people with this " buy a new monitor etc ... ".*
I have a 5:4 1280*1024 one and the game is beautifull on it.
Of course the new UI is cut off on sides, and using field of view is pointless because these UIs are attached to the camera view ( 2D) not rendered in the 3D field.

*i will not buy a new one for 2 reasons :

- until it breaks down
- because i want to buy a rift instead

I have to agree, I don't see why I should have to downgrade to a 1080p LCD monitor when my 1600x1200 (4:3) CRT looks great (it cost me £40 in 2003.)

I have yet to actually be able to connect to a server in 2.xx though, so no idea if the UI is cut off at 1600x1200.

FOV increase just makes everything look swirly and makes me dizzy.

I'm running 1680*1050 which is 16:10 - I've not yet moved to a 16:9 Full HD monitor. However, I plan to go 1920*1200 (16:10) I cannot imaging running this game on 4:3 or 5:4. Widescreen really does add a lot. My Dad has just upgraded from 4:3 to 16:10 for Train Simulator.

Mind you, Elite on a 4:3 14" CRT (TV) back in the day was awesome!

Regards,

NoOnions

3 monitor set-up

I need help!

I have just managed to get 3 monitors up and running and would love to stretch the game over the three monitors but currently it only wants to display on the primary monitor which I have set to the centre screen.

For some reason no matter what I look at I cant seem to see a way of stretching it across the three. I know it is possible as I have seen videos with other people doing this.

Is there anything I can do to make this happen?

And set the game resolution (in graphics options) to your desktop ultra wide res, or one of your custom ones if you want to bezel correct. Also probably best to make sure you're running the game in full screen as well.

Did you try duplicate your basic desktop resolution ? Win+P ;)

I've been using triple screen set up since the HD5780 and the only time I got trouble was when updating drivers and having the basic desktop on 1 screen and the others "extended" in lower resolution after reboot.
Win+P should solve this.
Don't know anything about the Nvidia set up procedure :p

Thanks for the response guys. Found what I needed unfortunately I cant use it unless I have a 2 monitor display for some reason.

My Display currently:
Disp1_zpsd5a33259.png

NVIDIA Control panel Currently:
Disp2_zpsf3f03b22.png

With Surround Selected:
Disp3_zpscf77dabb.png

And the NVidia website advises this config on the Card:
connector-2.png

Unfortunately my card doesn't have the DP connection only 3 DVI's and a vent!

I'm not going to use 2 monitors as I'd have that Bezel in the middle of the two which would any the crap out of me! :mad:

I'm not going to use 2 monitors as I'd have that Bezel in the middle of the two which would any the crap out of me! :mad:

I have three monitors and run 2d surround. I first did it with a GTX690 with three DVI, and now with a GTX980 with 1 x DVI, 2 x DP.

You can't span to the second card because they aren't SLI, and you need all the cards that are supplying video output to be SLI'd together.

Consider just pulling out the 550 Ti. As said above, I definitely used a GTX690 with three dual-link DVI ports on it for surround (7680x1440).

The 3 screens need to have the same resolution and possibly timing to be spanned with surround, i notice one of yours is a different type, might have an effect.

As someone said, that 550 probably isn't going to give you any improvement, but i don't know that it would stop you getting surround to work.

For reference, i'm running a 690 with 3 screens plugged into the DVI sockets and surround and SLI are working.

The 3 screens need to have the same resolution and possibly timing to be spanned with surround, i notice one of yours is a different type, might have an effect.

As someone said, that 550 probably isn't going to give you any improvement, but i don't know that it would stop you getting surround to work.

For reference, i'm running a 690 with 3 screens plugged into the DVI sockets and surround and SLI are working.

I have a feeling it is down to resolution as well but not enough info on that. The NVIDIA Website said that 3 monitor display needs to use the DP socket on the card but mine doesn't have that so I think that is the bigger issue.

I may upgrade my card to a 9 series at some point and dispose of the 550 (only use it as a PhysX card anyway). It's all disappointing for me so I guess I'll have to suffer using a Single monitor display with 2 Utility monitors :(

I have a feeling it is down to resolution as well but not enough info on that. The NVIDIA Website said that 3 monitor display needs to use the DP socket on the card but mine doesn't have that so I think that is the bigger issue.

I may upgrade my card to a 9 series at some point and dispose of the 550 (only use it as a PhysX card anyway). It's all disappointing for me so I guess I'll have to suffer using a Single monitor display with 2 Utility monitors :(

Well, with SLI working in ED finally, i'm getting a pretty constant 60fps (vsync limited) at the current maximum gfx settings, so i don't know that your really need the 550.

A third monitor to match your other two would probably be cheaper than a 9xx card, plus i think you'd need one to match anyway.

Thanks for the response guys. Found what I needed unfortunately I cant use it unless I have a 2 monitor display for some reason.

<snip>

And the NVidia website advises this config on the Card:
connector-2.png

DP to DVI converter cables are really cheap - around £10.

3 monitor setup non-DP (ie. with 1 HDMI, 2 DVI) is only possible with newer cards (can't remember where I read it, was a while back).

So get yourself 2 DP-DVI cables and you're set to go!

Edit: ARGH! Misread your post!

Well, 3-way monitor won't work on that card I'm afraid.

DP to DVI converter cables are really cheap - around £10.

3 monitor setup non-DP (ie. with 1 HDMI, 2 DVI) is only possible with newer cards (can't remember where I read it, was a while back).

So get yourself 2 DP-DVI cables and you're set to go!

Edit: ARGH! Misread your post!

Well, 3-way monitor won't work on that card I'm afraid.

I don't think that's the issue, i have the same card and running 3 screens (all Dell U2312HM in my case) on the 3 DVI connectors, and surround works as advertised.

I had similar problems with my card when I set it up. All my monitors are old and only have VGA inputs, but I needed two x DVI and one other connection (out of an HDMI and a DP) in order to get three displays working.

I bought some adapters for ~£12 each and got it working no probs. A damn sight cheaper than a new graphics card!

Note : one of my monitors is a completely different make and model, but I managed to get the same resolution across all 3 and it sprang into life :)

Borrowed a DP to HDMI converter and now able to get surround working but one of my monitors (the one connected to the DP) has no signal going to it even though it has been recognised by the Card. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom