The names of the new Galactic Regions - what do we think?

Now that the Beta is over and the release date for 3.3 has been announced, is it too late to discuss the names of the new Galactic Regions? Because there are some issues that I and a few other people have noticed... and I was hoping that the devs might still have time to fix them, before the 11th!

uILgaTw.png

This is what the Galactic Regions looked like when they were first announced (with thanks to CMDR Qohen Leth); Frontier just gave them numbers, while the names that you can see in the background are what the exploration community have come up with themselves, over the years. Several explorers suggested to Frontier that they could potentially use those names instead of numbers... whereupon Frontier did indeed give names to the regions, but they only used a handful familiar to the exploration community, and they made the rest up themselves.

Of course, it's Frontier's game and they can do what they like - but some of the names that they have chosen are astronomically wrong, which flies in the face of Elite's commitment to scientific accuracy!

For example, Region 28 (on the far West in the diagram above) is now called Aquila's Halo... it sounds nice, and it's such a remote region that it never had an established name within the exploration community, so Aquila's Halo is as good as any other. There's just one problem - it does not line up with the constellation of Aquila!

As far as I can tell, when seen from Earth, Aquila is further to the Galactic North - corresponding to Region 42! So, if Frontier are determined to use the name Aquila's Halo, they should give that name to Region 42... and call Region 28 something else!

And as for Region 42 itself, it is currently called The Void... which makes sense, since it IS on the edge of the galaxy, after all. But Region 40, on the far North of the Galaxy, has been called The Solitude Void for years by the exploration community... so, if Frontier want to call somewhere The Void, why not give that name to Region 40, instead?!

And what about Region 40, which is currently called The Abyss? Well, as seen here, some of the explorers who suggested using names in the first place have timidly requested that Frontier change the name of Region 25, just to the West of Region 40, to The Abyssal Plain, because it has been called that for years now, apparently. As far as I know, Frontier have not responded, perhaps because it would not make sense to have one Region called The Abyss, and the neighbouring region called The Abyssal Plain. But if Region 40 was re-named The Void as I suggested above, then Region 28 could indeed be re-named The Abyssal Plain, no problem!

Getting back to the scientific inaccuracies, Region 11 (in the East, near the middle) is now called Trojan Belt... but why? In astronomical terms, the word Trojan is usually used to refer to Trojan Asteroids, occupying one of the stable Lagrange Points in the same orbit as a larger body, either 60 degrees ahead of it, or 60 degrees behind. But in relation to the Galactic Centre, Trojan Belt is not 60 degrees away from the human-occupied Bubble... so why give that particular name to that particular region?

Especially since there is another Region, which IS 60 degrees away from Sol... Region 38, in the South-East, currently known as Lyra's Song. It's not quite perfect - it's slightly further from the Galactic Centre than the Bubble is - but at least it is at the right angle... AND it's next to Region 36, now known as Achilles' Altar! (Achilles was killed in the Trojan wars...)

Speaking of Lyra's Song, there is another reason to change its name - it's nowhere near the constellation of Lyra! Seriously, if you were standing on Earth, the constellation of Lyra would be on one Horizon, and Lyra's Song would be on the exact opposite horizon, they could hardly be further apart!

So, where should Lyra's Song be? Well, there are two regions that line up with the constellation of Lyra... the first of them is Region 32, in the South-West, now known as Vulcan Gate. And the second? Region 28... the one that used to be called Aquila's Halo, before I suggested it be moved further North!

Now, it might be that Frontier would not want to put Lyra's Song and Aquila's Halo right next to each other, as they are very similar names... but having said that, out of 42 Regions, no fewer than NINE of them are called 'Somebody's Something' - that's more than 20% of the Galaxy! (And that doesn't include Vulcan Gate and Trojan Belt, which are also very similar...) Of course, if Lyra's Song REPLACED Vulcan Gate, that would help a little... but I think there are still too many regions with similar sounding names...

What about Hawking's Gap? That's one of the names already established by the exploration community, so I assume they are very gratified to see it immortalised in-game. But, as detailed here, Hawking's Gap was the name the explorers gave to the GAP between two of the galaxy's spiral arms... whereas now, it is the name of a region which encompasses one of those arms! It's like making a map of Europe, and calling France The English Channel. Amusing though that would be, it's just not accurate...

Honestly, if it was up to me, I would move (or outright replace!) about half of the names on the map - but I get the impression that the explorers are reluctant to rock the boat, and don't want to ask too much of Frontier, for fear of sounding entitled and whiny. However, as it stands, some of the region names are objectively wrong - and unless something is done between now and next Tuesday, they will be wrong when the update goes live, and then it will be too late! (And what are Beta's for, if not feedback like this?)

Does anyone else have a problem with the current state of the Galactic Regions...?

Last edited:
I do wish Frontier had stuck more to the established community names. I mean I'm glad they have names at all now instead of just numbers, but I wonder why Frontier decided to make up their own names for areas which already had perfectly good names by the community?

Yeah, if I had my wish I'd like to see some tweaks before going live too.

I like the names. Don’t really care what the community made up. As for astronomical accuracy, I gave up on that when I saw the in-game Eagle Nebula.

I think if there is a good reason for the names given (
- Aquila is the name of an exploration vessel instead of a reference to the constellation.
- The Empire uses a different set of constellations and some were used in the regions to appease some politicians.
- The Galactic Cartographics Convention of 3304 has debated long and fierce about the region borders and names. There were some compromises, the original Hawking's Gap was expanded and then a chunk moved to another region, as has happened many times in history.
- Some Cartographers made obvious mistakes to lead to another conspiracy. I hope it is not that one.
) that can be read somewhere (in game), the regions as presented in Beta are fine. The alternative would probably have been even fewer established names. But it should not feel like an inconsitent last minute excuse, a series of Galnet articles over several weeks could provide a satisfying amount of detail to these regions. It will probably not please every single one Cmdr, but the effort shown in that case should be respected.

I do wish Frontier had stuck more to the established community names. I mean I'm glad they have names at all now instead of just numbers, but I wonder why Frontier decided to make up their own names for areas which already had perfectly good names by the community?

Yeah, if I had my wish I'd like to see some tweaks before going live too.

Hear hear! It is good of Frontier to use ANY of the community names, and I'm sure the explorers are grateful for any recognition - but when you see where some of the names have been added, they don't make any logical sense. Coupled with some of Frontier's own names being in the wrong place as well, and it makes me wonder if the person responsible for choosing the names had no say in where they were used!

Hopefully it's not too late to make changes...

I like the names. Don’t really care what the community made up. As for astronomical accuracy, I gave up on that when I saw the in-game Eagle Nebula.

The thing is, trying to make an accurate representation of the Eagle Nebula is a challenge for the Art Department, and it might be that they just don't have time - whereas correcting the names of the Galactic Regions is dead easy, literally anyone in the office could do it, and it would only take 10 minutes! In a game like this, where so much has been done in the name of scientific accuracy, I'm surprised to see such easily-preventable errors being allowed to slip through...

I think if there is a good reason for the names given (
- Aquila is the name of an exploration vessel instead of a reference to the constellation.
- The Empire uses a different set of constellations and some were used in the regions to appease some politicians.
- The Galactic Cartographics Convention of 3304 has debated long and fierce about the region borders and names. There were some compromises, the original Hawking's Gap was expanded and then a chunk moved to another region, as has happened many times in history.
- Some Cartographers made obvious mistakes to lead to another conspiracy. I hope it is not that one.
) that can be read somewhere (in game), the regions as presented in Beta are fine. The alternative would probably have been even fewer established names. But it should not feel like an inconsitent last minute excuse, a series of Galnet articles over several weeks could provide a satisfying amount of detail to these regions. It will probably not please every single one Cmdr, but the effort shown in that case should be respected.

Okay, that would make sense - and we have already had the Victoria Song megaship in the Pleiades, so why not the Lyra's Song too? But personally, I would rather see Frontier line up the Regions with the constellations... because not only would it make sense, it would also be an Easter Egg for die-hard astronomers! No one else would notice - but an astronomer would, and when they did, it would make them smile.

Attention to detail like that is what makes good games great - and Frontier could implement it so easily, it would be a real missed opportunity not to!

Now that the Beta is over and the release date for 3.3 has been announced, is it too late to discuss the names of the new Galactic Regions? Because there are some issues that I and a few other people have noticed... and I was hoping that the devs might still have time to fix them, before the 11th!

Does anyone else have a problem with the current state of the Galactic Regions...?

My [deity], man! FD put Sector 25 way the hell out there by Beagle Point???
How in [diety]'s name do they expect the XL5 to get out there for patrol?
It'll take them zillions of years in that ancient atomic-powered rocket to travel that far out.
Think of the children, man. Think of the children.
And the doom.

BTW, on-topic, I'd rather they stick with numbers. Just my thing, of course.

I appreciate them using some of them, but yeah, a few are just way off and there are others that'd make sense to use instead of the ones they made up.

My [deity], man! FD put Sector 25 way the hell out there by Beagle Point???
How in [diety]'s name do they expect the XL5 to get out there for patrol?
It'll take them zillions of years in that ancient atomic-powered rocket to travel that far out.
Think of the children, man. Think of the children.
And the doom.

BTW, on-topic, I'd rather they stick with numbers. Just my thing, of course.

Thanks for the jogging of my memory

I am definitely more happy with actual names than numbers, and while i think using community names would have been better, these ones are alright.

I have no problems with the regions and naming as it is right now.

I have been involved in exploration since before the game released. Have been a member of EDSM, active participant in the exploration sub forum, contributor to GMP, and can honestly say that for me, the only time I ever actually used or even thought about the community names for regions was when I was presenting something in role play. For practical, day to day use, I tend to think and present things in much more practical terms that most would understand better such as distance and direction from well know landmarks such as Sag A*, Beagle Point, The Bubble, Colonia, North East Quadrant, Actual specific system name, things like that.

Yes, the community names are nice, and they build a sense of, well, community, but...they had a niche usefulness even within the exploration community, never mind the wider player base. So all that said...

I am happy that Frontier gave a nod, even in part to a subset of the Exploration Community.

Yes, the community names are nice, and they build a sense of, well, community, but...they had a niche usefulness even within the exploration community, never mind the wider player base. So all that said...

I am happy that Frontier gave a nod, even in part to a subset of the Exploration Community.

As am I. Really, my only concern is that, as things stand, the Galactic Regions seem to have been named with no rhyme or reason... it feels like they just picked names out of a hat, and then placed them on the map with no regard for astronomical accuracy, or Greek Mythology, or anything. (As others pointed out a few weeks ago, in the original Beta they had even spelt 'Formidine' wrong!) These names will soon be carved in stone, they will go on to become a part of the game's Lore for years to come... so Frontier should take pride in them, they should select each name and place it with care!

Consider Region 41, Kepler's Crest, down in the far Galactic South. Who was Kepler? Well, since there are other regions named Newton's Vault and Hawking's Gap, I suspect that Frontier were thinking of Johannes Kepler, the famous 17th Century Astronomer and Mathmetician, who was instrumental in proving that the Earth was not the centre of the universe. I'm sure we can all agree that Kepler is a suitable choice to have a Region named after him, and Kepler's Crest has a nice ring to it... but, why is it on the outer edge of the galaxy?! Out of all the Regions that Frontier could have chosen, why did they choose that one?

As an alternative, consider this:

7dmddYC.png

...but instead, they named that particular region Ryker's Hope, and stuck Kepler out on the galactic rim. And speaking of Ryker's Hope, why did they choose to put it right next to Odin's Hold? You've got two regions, with VERY similar names, adjacent to one another... the developers could have put them anywhere in the galaxy, so why did they elect to put both of them in the same place?!

I will admit that I am very sympathetic to the explorers, and I would like to see more of the community's names being used - but even if the developers intend to use their own names for most of the map, they should still try to put them in places that (a) make some kind of logical sense, and (b) maximise the variety from one region to the next! Because otherwise, the Galactic Map will not be as good as it could be... and for an update focusing on exploration, that would be a real disappointment.

+1
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I think it would have been nice if Frontier had been a little more respectful of the exploration community and the naming conventions that had already been established. It's not the worst thing in the world but between the options of "numbered sectors only" and "use the existing community names," it feels like the current compromise is giving the worst of both worlds here.

What about Hawking's Gap? That's one of the names already established by the exploration community, so I assume they are very gratified to see it immortalised in-game. But, as detailed here , Hawking's Gap was the name the explorers gave to the GAP between two of the galaxy's spiral arms... whereas now, it is the name of a region which encompasses one of those arms! It's like making a map of Europe, and calling France The English Channel. Amusing though that would be, it's just not accurate...

Yeah, I noticed things like that too. All I could think of to resolve that (given the new borders) is to have sub-regions, which can potentially cross over region borders, and would essentially just be there for naming (not organizing in the Codex). Basically, a secondary label after the region name on the little piece of information that comes up while jumping. This way the game can also mark things like jumping into a particular nebula with it's name, without having it be a separate region all to itself.

And speaking of information brought up while jumping... it would be nice if all the jump information was around on the left panel during the jump. After all, it's during the jump that we have the most time on our hands to review that sort of thing... we can see that we're jumping by looking out the front, there's no reason for the panel to be almost entirely devoted to telling us the obvious when it could have real information on it. I often miss the star class information because it's up in the info box and fades out before I check, because I was busy flying the ship.

Top Bottom