The Narrative Roundtable stream was actually really good.

*Writers such a Michael Brookes et al. (In Mike Brookes time there was purported to be a hand-written/typed manual/bible/book/tome/in-house-guide of Elite Lore that outlined all the major threads and where they should head, along with things to be revealed in due course, and insights, backgroud story and hidden details to guide future lore writing.... lets hope that 'mythical folio' hasn't been mislaid and is once again being referred to in presenting ongoing storylines and LORE!!!!)
Some time ago I made the suggestion to release the writers lore book to the public. I proposed a lite version that cut out future spoilers and added concept art and such. The community didn't seem very interested in it.

Some time ago I made the suggestion to release the writers lore book to the public. I proposed a lite version that cut out future spoilers and added concept art and such. The community didn't seem very interested in it.
I always wonder how much of the writers lore book made it into the Elite RPG books. They seem to have more details and were “officially sanctioned” so im assuming they had access to it. Granting im basing this on snipets i see in wiki that refer back to the RPG books … have yet to get it myself yet.

Last edited:
While the lore discussion was certainly engaging, I fear it's just going to ultimately be the same spiel; a bunch of cool narrative threads to hear from GalNet or scanned data ports, but has absolutely zero impact on gameplay. It's also annoying that a lot of lore events or threads are usually disseminated through forum posts as opposed to actually being in the game.

I have about 400 hours in Elite and I think I've only encountered ingame lore once. Everything else I only ever knew about via the forum
..... the LORE was much more pertinent, active and front and centre when Michael Brookes (for all his faults often quoted) was 'Game Director'. Whether reguarding the lore IN the game or any other aspect there does NOT seem to be a Game 'Director' currently much in evidence*...... calling Piers Jackson... first AND last seen on Odyssey promo vids! :unsure:

* From a player and paying customer point of view.

Last edited:
There is also another argument to be made here beyond that a player base isn't real sophisticated or doesn't give much thought to consequences. That is that this is an escape for many, many players. Having to do that kind of thought or being that focused is not how players escape what is asked of them day-in and day-out.

There are plenty of times when I'm focused on supporting a faction, a role, or a cause during a CG but just as many when I'd like to just wander, be aimless, live in the moment and enjoy the view.

That said, I'd also like to see some of the foundations rocked, establishments shaken, and status quo pushed around and strained (at least)
Its a game with the same effort for both sides, and thinking about stuff is not that hard. You can't have 'foundations rocked' if people are too lazy or lack imagination to try. There have been numerous times in EDs life where things could have gone in radical new directions but did not.

..... the LORE was much more pertinent, active and front and centre when Michael Brookes (for all his faults often quoted) was 'Game Director'.
Could you give some examples of this? The major 2015-2017 storylines that I remember were, in rough order (though with overlaps, of course):
- murder of the Emperor / attempted murder of Halsey, leading in to...
- ...establishment of the Powerplay characters (including, later, Dangerous Games)
- early alien mysteries (UA, Barnacles, Guardians) and cover-ups (Black Flight, Palin)
- founding of Colonia
- Premonition (including the conclusion of the Formidine Rift search)

I can't think of very much in those which isn't also being done now with the various current storylines, and plenty that wasn't (no doubt only due to technical limitations) done back then that is now, in terms of making the lore and plot have both in-game relevance and on-forum discussion.

Could you give some examples of this? The major 2015-2017 storylines that I remember were, in rough order (though with overlaps, of course):
- murder of the Emperor / attempted murder of Halsey, leading in to...
- ...establishment of the Powerplay characters (including, later, Dangerous Games)
- early alien mysteries (UA, Barnacles, Guardians) and cover-ups (Black Flight, Palin)
- founding of Colonia
- Premonition (including the conclusion of the Formidine Rift search)

I can't think of very much in those which isn't also being done now with the various current storylines, and plenty that wasn't (no doubt only due to technical limitations) done back then that is now, in terms of making the lore and plot have both in-game relevance and on-forum discussion.
All you list and more: (y)
Slightly 'off-piste'....... for me just a few direct memories, and I am talking about the sheer 'bulk' (wrong word) of Lore offered up during his tenure.. the Thargoid continuing story (still following his outline I'm led to believe) .. The Guardians with their full back story... The derilict Generation Ships and ALL their dialogue/logs... and as further evidence of Michael embracing the lore there is his Elite Dangerous novel 'Elite: Legacy' (A good read encompassing the games actual mechanics).... Not only as an 'author' of Lore he was the powerhouse of enthusiasm for the games lore itself...(i.e. as a very public Game DIRECTOR). I believe his sterling efforts are now focussed on Warhammer (another of his enthusiasm's) .... a major point about MB was his enthusiasm for communicating directly with the player base, now very sadly missing apart from CM's who just communicate what they are allowed***. I had many a PM discussion with MB back in the day, even about the lore.

I must say that recently the 'Lore' does seem to be back on the main menu, ramping up from the rebirth of Galnet to the present storyline of Hyford's Cache (a continuation from MB's days), and this Lore 'rebirth' is a very much welcome breath of fresh air, from my perspective at least! FDev (***and Arthur Tolmie + team) are to be praised for their latest enthusiasm... long may it continue o7

Last edited:
Back in the day, that used to be the type of thing that would be included in a game manual - back when such things still existed, and were cool.

My feeling as well. This is all a bit too Store Citizen for my liking.

Its the in-game stuff that interests me.
Same. I really dislike how most of Elite's big lore seems to only be distributed outside of the game. You shouldn't have to be obligated to tune into a single stream just to be able to know the game's story.

Top Bottom