The new" Elite " rankings

Perhaps you would like the Uber-AI that was in the game for a brief time before getting nerfed, to be brought back for Elite+ CMDRs?

After all, the general rule of gaming is higher rank/level = harder to beat enemies
Haha, I remember that. CMDRs too frightened to get out with anything but a Sidey because they got Elite combat ranking easy earlier on and then faced real Elite NPCs :)

So where is the summary of the new Elite ranks? I haven't been keeping track.
Above elite you have Elite 1 to 5. They provide a new decals, which is the same than elite, but with a number of stars below it (1 for each rank above elite).
They are called "Elite I" "Elite II" and so on up to "Elite V".

The xp to rank them up is not retroactive, and only take into account the xp you did after odyssey.

Above elite you have Elite 1 to 5. They provide a new decals, which is the same than elite, but with a number of stars below it (1 for each rank above elite).
They are called "Elite I" "Elite II" and so on up to "Elite V".

The xp to rank them up is not retroactive, and only take into account the xp you did after odyssey.
Waybe it's now a ranking of how many bugs you can put up with for how long? :p

In my mind it doesn't diminish the original Triple Elites I've done in the past, but I'm probably not going to be pushing myself for any of these new ones.

It's ohhh so quiet ........

To be honest, I don't really get your obsession with that question. It's a normal progression for games that have any levels or ranks to expand them occasionally (and ED has not done so since ever) and of course they are not awarded retroactively. Often enough, players actually demand a raise in level cap to give them something new to strife for.
Numbers must go up :)

ED doesn't have rank-gated gear, so the stars are possibly purely decorative.
Hex-Elite-V players get free drinks at the bar and the ability to sit down.

It's not ranking up or progressing anything. The very meaning of the word Elite means "nothing higher". It's kinda like those dopey kids when in response to "think of the biggest number you can" go " Hah.. Infinity plus one"

It’s certainly an odd thing to have implemented - I’ve been here a while and I’ve seen lots of “I’ve finally made triple Elite!” posts and the “thank God the grind for Imperial/Federal rank is over!” style ones, but I don’t remember anyone ever saying “I wish I could do all that again. At least five more times!😁

I think of it as either the Star System with US Generals or as a way to being a 1st Dan, 2nd Dan etc in Karate. In both cases, to those who are below that rank, you are still either a general or a black belt. If they had given the new ranks proper names (like archangel, super elite or elite plus), then I'd probably be annoyed. This way, Elite is still the top rank, there's just a way to discern who is more elite than you.

Not sure about removing any insurance discount though.

I think of it as either the Star System with US Generals or as a way to being a 1st Dan, 2nd Dan etc in Karate. In both cases, to those who are below that rank, you are still either a general or a black belt. If they had given the new ranks proper names (like archangel, super elite or elite plus), then I'd probably be annoyed. This way, Elite is still the top rank, there's just a way to discern who is more elite than you.

Not sure about removing any insurance discount though.
It's nothing like that..The word Elite means.... "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society." The "rest" is absolute, it's binary you are or you aint. There is no "more rest or less rest" another definition "the richest, most powerful, best-educated, or best-trained group in a society:" The "The" is again definitive. THE.. "those people or organizations that are considered the best or most powerful compared to others of a similar type" There is no dan, no 3,4 or 5 star like a general. You cant get subdivisions of a "top rank" it's either top or it's below it..

Equating it to the rank of General is also, incorrect. General is NOT the top rank. There are ones above it,. E.g Chief of the defence staff. They don't have subdivisions.

And in the unlikely event they dont know the meaning of words, just where in lore did those subdivisions come from? What extra does it bring to the player other than more and more and more and more of the same again and again and again. It adds zero value, and removes so much more..

Last edited:
It's nothing like that..The word Elite means.... "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society." The "rest" is absolute, it's binary you are or you aint. There is no "more rest or less rest" another definition "the richest, most powerful, best-educated, or best-trained group in a society:" The "The" is again definitive. THE.. "those people or organizations that are considered the best or most powerful compared to others of a similar type" There is no dan, no 3,4 or 5 star like a general. You cant get subdivisions of a "top rank" it's either top or it's below it..

Equating it to the rank of General is also, incorrect. General is NOT the top rank. There are ones above it,. E.g Chief of the defence staff. They don't have subdivisions.

And in the unlikely event they dont know the meaning of words, just where in lore did those subdivisions come from? What extra does it bring to the player other than more and more and more and more of the same again and again and again. It adds zero value, and removes so much more..
you need to read that again. The appropriate phrase is 'I think of it like this....' This means that because I think of things this way, it works for me and I'm not worked up about it.

To be honest, I don't really get your obsession with that question. It's a normal progression for games that have any levels or ranks to expand them occasionally (and ED has not done so since ever) and of course they are not awarded retroactively. Often enough, players actually demand a raise in level cap to give them something new to strife for.
Numbers must go up :)

ED doesn't have rank-gated gear, so the stars are possibly purely decorative.
Hex-Elite-V players get free drinks at the bar and the ability to sit down.
So my thoughts were ELITE was the highest rank , Triple Elite was the top 1%. Even when they made trade and exploration elite ranking easier to attain . It was still the tops .
Now they have made it that we have 5 elite rankings 1-5 ? per category and these ranks are only when Odyssey drops . So my triple elite top 1% is now bottom of the elite pile and all the extra work from 2018 doesn't count for nothing .
Yes being Triple Elite gave nothing extra just like King and Admiral . But they are/ were the top ranks .
After i got triple did i stop playing ? did i ask for more ranks ? 3 years on I'm still playing .
It was called Elite as that is the highest rank not elite 5 for pointing a dodah at a plant (hahahaha).
In the end does it matter ? to me and a lot of long time players yes did we get asked ? nope , did we get an explaination , nope .
Obsession? possibly , old time player who is upset ? definitely I just want to know why they would break the basic Lore of the game .

Did the new commanders want to have more Elite to grind ? nah i dinnae think so .
Make it hard again to get the triple Elite , Take mining off the trade , make exploration elite at least on undiscovered systems not something a week on road to riches .Combat was the only one that doesnt need to be changed .( and you see that in the numbers of commanders in each rank )
Dont take the easy way out and add extra ranks for immersion . Thats just a huge cop out for bad gameplay .

Yes as you can see im pretty hetup about this it was my one chance to be something and now.........
@Arthur Tolmie, @David Braben , @sallymorganmoore @Zac Cocken

Last edited:
Poor Shan, now his opinion gets dismissed outside the show too. :LOL:
shrugs I have a thick skin ;) If you look back on similar threads you'll see far more "I don't like this" posts than "wow just what I always wanted" It's really easy to dismiss something. but to give a rebuttal in a logical, thoughtful and grown-up way takes effort :)

Top Bottom