The (no longer) Missing - Rediscovered Generation Ships

In the last days there were discovered some of 'The Missing', Generation ships which dissapeared centuries ago, for (no longer) unknown reasons...
This thread is meant as a central, up do date data collecton about the Generation Ships here on the forums for those who want to travel there themself, without having to dig through a ton of threads and milelong posts.

Links:
Drew Wagar - Generation ships
Transcriptions at Sektion 20 done by CMDR Klumpozyte
How to find a Generation Ship by ObsidianAnt
Pictures and logs taken by myself
Audiologs done by CMDR Baton

Lore:
2097 first Generation Ship was launched (Galnet)
~2100 Discovery of a workable hyperspace theory and the design of the first unreliable, inefficient and slow 'faster than light' drive (compared to the modern tech of 34'th century) opened the possibility of exploration and settlement. (Tourist Beacon 0166)
2200 - 2700 "golden age" of exploration, up to 70'000 Generation Ships were launched (Drew Wagar)

Found Ships: (sort by their discovery; the systems distance is the distance from Sol)
The Lycaon (Reddit)
- System: Alaunus (52.62 ly)
- How to find: Fly to Alaunus 10 and redirect to "Horae" (fly about 22'000ls)
- How to find: set course for "COL 285 Sector RP-L B22-7" (fly about 30'000ls)
- Listening post: LHS 1047 (16.27 ly)
- Audio
- Transcription

The Venusian (Forum)
- System: Kitae (63.12 ly)
- How to find: set course for "Zephyrus" (fly about 2'500ls)
- Listening post: LP 855-10 (41.24 ly)
- Audio
- Transcription

The Hyperion (Forum)
- System: Lalande 2966 (121.53 ly)
- How to find: fly to Lalande 2966 4, redirect to "Yemaki" (fly about 7'000ls)
- How to find: set course for "Lyncis Sector EL-Y C8" (fly about 8'500ls)
- Listening post: LHS 1596 (56.17 ly)
- Audio
- Transcription

The Odysseus (Reddit)
- System: ROSS 859 (165.98 ly)
- How to find: The Odysseus orbits planet B 1
- Listening post: DNT RMBR WHR System
- Audio
- Transcription

The Thetis (Forum)
- System: Nefertem (53.46ly)
- How to find: The Thetis orbist planet 6 A
- Listening post: LHS 2206 (33.27 ly)
- Audio
- Transcription

The Pleione (Forum)
- System: Hez Ur (174.01 ly)
- How to find: Fly to Hez Ur 5 and set course for "Teuten" (fly about 8000ls)
- Listening post: Puppis Sector FB-X B1-4 (80.66 ly)
- Audio
- Transcription

The Atlas (Forum)
- System: Charick Drift
- How to find: Orbits White Dwarf Charick Drift A
- Listening post:
- Audio
- Transcription[TBD]

The Lazarus (Twitter)
- System: Virudnir
- How to find: Orbits Virudnir 6
- Listening post:
- Audio[TBD]
- Transcription[TBD]

The Hunt:
Travelling with relativistic speeds for a maximum of 1206 years (first ship was launched 2097, now we've got 3303) the furthest distance they should reach is about 1200ly but will be probably much less!!!
The Generation ships appear (after the found of the Odyssus) 200ly away from Sol, the listening post within a larger bubble.
If you center SOL and make a spheric bubble around it, it includes within the radius "r"
r=50ly: 1'241 Systems
r=100ly: 8'282 Systems
(data according to eddb)
r=150ly: ≈31'000 Systems (calculated)
r=200ly: ≈73'000 Systems (calculated)
r=250ly: ≈142'000 Systems (calculated)
r=1200ly: ≈15'800'000 Systems (calculated) [this number is wrong because of the flatness of the galaxy!]

Last edited:
Since I've been asked several times how to start looking for new generation ships or abandoned bases and suchlike:

You need to look for listening posts in navigation. And so you'll have to always take a look into navigation in each system.
As soon as you jump into it and also near every planet if it is more than a thousand lightseconds away from your arrival point.
The listening post will always be found right next to a planet. (So no need to look for them in empty space inbetween.)

With the generation ships it will probably be easier than with the abandoned ground bases as the search area for most
of them only extends to about 100 lightyears in every direction from Sol (if their traveldistance is consistant with lore).

And now you might ask yourself "But Klumpozyte, how is this going to help me? There are almost 10000 systems in
a 100ly range from Sol. I'd have to zigzag with econmy plotting for hours and still might find nothing?!"
To which I would have to asnwer: "Yes, alas, Jimmy, that is how the cookie crumbles."

What I'm trying to say with that the generation ships are content that is not meant to be actively sought after.
Imho they are mainly inteded as something that players stumble upon unexpectedly while doing something else.
And as they are (supposedly) in the bubble it is most likely that the listening posts would be found by new players
as seasoned CMDRs will not do any short range jumps and so never end up in any of these systems.

Edit: (copy-pasted the longer text from the Venusian thread)

Last edited:
Since I've been asked several times how to start looking for new generation ships or abandoned bases and suchlike.
You need to look for listening posts in navigation. And so you'll have to always take a look into navigation in each system.
As soon as you jump into it and also near any planet if it is more than a thousand lightseconds away from your arrival point.

Oddly enough I did essentially that a year ago when there were some Galnet blurbs about gen ships. My bubble extended further out so I was more lightly checking a larger set of systems in the directions hinted at. I can't tell if I simply wasn't checking well enough or they simply weren't in yet to be found. I suspect the latter but it raises the question why put hints in Galnet back then. I hope it was the former, I'd rather feel frustrated with myself for not being persistent enough.

Since I've been asked several times how to start looking for new generation ships or abandoned bases and suchlike.
As soon as you jump into it and also near any planet if it is more than a thousand lightseconds away from your arrival point.

And with the generation ships it will probably be easier than with the abandoned ground bases as the search area only extends
to about 100 lightyears in every direction from Sol.

Did you get a screenshot of the listening post message or record it's location so we can see how you found your gen ship? Because without that info some people might assume you found it by other means and not credit you for a legitimate in game discovery.

Did you get a screenshot of the listening post message or record it's location so we can see how you found your gen ship? Because without that info some people might assume you found it by other means and not credit you for a legitimate in game discovery.

please look at Post No. 1, the location of the listening post is listed since yesterday evening ;)

Don't know if i should post this here but I posted this a while ago in the cannon thread. Might be significant.
"Just a quick stupid question. I was in LHS 3227 for the livestream race and I noticed an unregistered coms beacon at LHS 3227 B 1 A . Has this always been there or did FD host the event at that specific location so some1 could notice it? I couldnt find that exact beacon in older mysteries but I might have missed something. It is dormant for now. "
I posted this a few months ago when there was a lifestream eagle race in the station close to the unregistered beacon. I can't check this right now as I am on an exploration mission.
If someone thinks this is significant please check it out.

EDIT:

Might have the system name wrong because I can't find it on eddb. When i go home i will check it out. I bookmarked it.

Last edited:
Are tip offs related to any of this? I just got one for the first time.

None of the generation ships have been found so far by tip offs according to my knowledge.

But of cause tip offs is another method frontier has to deliver clues to the player.

Top Bottom