Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I lost my ship when I claimed one during the story line. Almost all of my materials were on the ship that I lost, and the ship I'd claimed was completely broken and non functioning, and to top it all off, the planet was undergoing a permanent radiation storm that could sap my hazard protection in about 30 seconds or so. That was the one and only time that I've actually felt some tension in the game and it was absolutely delicious. Wish there were more situations like that sprinkled throughout the galaxy and story.
Some of the best moments have been when I barely survived.

That's why I find my current frozen planet so much fun to play. Without any upgrades to the suit, I can survive about 1:30+ in normal weather, and only 30+ sec during storm. It's very exciting.

I lost my ship when I claimed one during the story line. Almost all of my materials were on the ship that I lost, and the ship I'd claimed was completely broken and non functioning, and to top it all off, the planet was undergoing a permanent radiation storm that could sap my hazard protection in about 30 seconds or so. That was the one and only time that I've actually felt some tension in the game and it was absolutely delicious. Wish there were more situations like that sprinkled throughout the galaxy and story.
My son just told me he found the answer online. Haven't tried this myself to confirm this bug, but this is what he said. If you empty your ship before you claim the wreck, then you keep your old one, but if you still have stuff in there, it's gone. Very strange bug. He managed to do it now and he tried earlier and couldn't, so I guess that's the answer.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The regular mission story led me to a place with a stranded ship that I could in theory repair after much grind. I have the option to add to my collection but I fear that without frigate that will mean I lose my own ship, correct?

By the way, I see tons of frigates but nothing of the famous mission that would give you one free, I haz a sad. Saw some pirates nearby, I killed some but the frigates ignored me after that, some even shot at me, probably I hit them with stray bullets.

The regular mission story led me to a place with a stranded ship that I could in theory repair after much grind. I have the option to add to my collection but I fear that without frigate that will mean I lose my own ship, correct?
Apparently, you should be able to add the shipwreck, but only if you empty your old ship from any items first, according to my son. No frigate needed. Check online for this. Someone might give more light to the issue.

By the way, I see tons of frigates but nothing of the famous mission that would give you one free, I haz a sad. Saw some pirates nearby, I killed some but the frigates ignored me after that, some even shot at me, probably I hit them with stray bullets.
If a frigate is under attack by pirates and you kill them all for them, then you can get the ship for free (first time). But if you're in a peaceful system you might not see any activity like this. If you get into a system in war you're more likely to encounter a combat situation.

You won't lose your old ship by adding a new one to your collection, but you could lose it if you exchange/trade it. You can only own 6 ships total. Once you have 6 ships, you won't be able to add new ones to your collection, you will only be able to exchange new ones for the one you're currently flying.

If you find a stranded ship and you don't own any others yet, don't be afraid to add it to your collection. You don't need a frigate - ships can be summoned to you planetside at any time for a small cost.

I don't think even Nada can help you there... :D
He's the one analysing weird patterns, isn't he 😁
If you find a stranded ship and you don't own any others yet, don't be afraid to add it to your collection. You don't need a frigate - ships can be summoned to you planetside at any time for a small cost.
I thought so too, but that's either changed or buggy. When I added the crashed ship to my collection, the old one became untouchable and didn't even show in summon menu (I had navigation data with me). I think it's a bug, I am 100% sure you could add ships to collection without freighter (before Beyond), as I abandoned the fighter for a very interesting explorer ship I found early in the game.

I'm absolutely rubbish at base building, but still enjoying the heck out of it anyway. Really enjoying the therapeutic minecraft meets subnautica meets Anne Macaffery and has love child vibe Hello Games has created.
I had fun building bases in the past, but I never had any particular goal. This time around, now I know exactly what my end goal is for my new base which really makes it extra exciting. It's a huge project, but I really feel deeply for it, like I haven't before.

It shows the variety of play styles this game allows. My main save is now 30 hours and my base building has been almost nothing - a single square room, teleporter and storage compartment. And not feeling much grind so far because of it.

I'm mainly playing the campaigns, while upgrading ships, exo-suit and tools.

But now I've found a paradise planet, hi-tech, opulent, with low sentinels, and I'm thinking "minecraft" for the first time, but in a good way. This planet is perfect, except for the red oceans. I may have to move on because of that one flaw. But that's part of the fun, looking for that one precious gem while doing all those other things. :)

I'm not sure where the end of the tutorial is - right now i think i have a mission to place 3 different signal towers on different planets for triangulation.

That's the Artemis mission. I think the freighter comes as part of the Base Computer missions. One annoying thing about NMS is you have to have your current mission selected in the log (and the game often changes it for you without telling you) for events to trigger.

Saying that though, I've yet to get the freighter mission in Beyond so far, but I'm on a personal mission to upgrade my multi-tool from the default so I can put more stuff in it. So I have an enhanced analysis visor that can scan plants for 23K each, and I'm exploring planets trying to get as much money as I can. Need 2.5mil to get the multi-tool I want.

I'm also very easily distracted. ;)

It shows the variety of play styles this game allows. My main save is now 30 hours and my base building has been almost nothing - a single square room, teleporter and storage compartment. And not feeling much grind so far because of it.

Mine is literally the same. I have the tiniest base possible (one square, literally, with a roof and 3 walls), a teleporter, one storage container, and last night managed to power both with solar panels and a battery. I called it "Don't Judge Me".

But now I've found a paradise planet, hi-tech, opulent, with low sentinels, and I'm thinking "minecraft" for the first time, but in a good way. This planet is perfect, except for the red oceans. I may have to move on because of that one flaw. But that's part of the fun, looking for that one precious gem while doing all those other things. :)

They need to add Magrathea to this game... :LOL:

Saying that though, I've yet to get the freighter mission in Beyond so far, but I'm on a personal mission to upgrade my multi-tool from the default so I can put more stuff in it. So I have an enhanced analysis visor that can scan plants for 23K each, and I'm exploring planets trying to get as much money as I can. Need 2.5mil to get the multi-tool I want.

And this is an example of why the game has me hooked right now. I had no idea there was such a thing as an enhanced analysis visor that could scan for 23k. Just like yesterday I first learnt I could upgrade the Hyperdrives to over 1000 Ly range. I'd been pottering towards the centre in 100 Ly baby steps... sheesh.

Mine is literally the same. I have the tiniest base possible (one square, literally, with a roof and 3 walls), a teleporter, one storage container, and last night managed to power both with solar panels and a battery. I called it "Don't Judge Me".

Heh, nice name... and my wooden hut is called "Kindling". I've seen solar panels but they can wait until I evolve out of the iron age onto my paradise planet. :)

Oh, and Update: Dug up a gorgeous yellow Ancient Skeleton, 1300 years old IIRC, worth 1.8M. I really should call it "Kindling 2" but it's worth too much. :p

And this is an example of why the game has me hooked right now. I had no idea there was such a thing as an enhanced analysis visor that could scan for 23k.

It's only an 'A' class upgrade, because I plan on getting rid of my current multi-tool as soon as I can afford it. Visit the multi-tool vendor in stations with a handful of nanites, and they can furnish you with all kinds of upgrades. An 'S' class upgrade (which will net much more than 23K) costs about 580 nanites in Beyond. If you have the room, you can also stack upgrades next to each other to get even more cash, including for fauna as well as flora. You'll know the stacking is effective when you get the coloured outline on the module(s). Luckily you can also non-destructively move upgrades around your inventories in Beyond - previously I had to use a save editor to do it.

Just like yesterday I first learnt I could upgrade the Hyperdrives to over 1000 Ly range. I'd been pottering towards the centre in 100 Ly baby steps... sheesh.

Wee Polo in the Nexus can give you coordinates to black holes, which will move you thousands of light years at a time.

Heh, nice name... and my wooden hut is called "Kindling". I've seen solar panels but they can wait until I evolve out of the iron age onto my paradise planet. :)

It's the planet I spawned on, but aside from some hefty ice storms (one reason why my base is so small, I just had to build it quickly) it's quite peaceful and I kinda like it. I'm undecided whether to expand on it or not... too busy out exploring atm. Solar panels are good because they don't need any maintenance or filling with materials - they just work - and attached to a battery means my base will always be powered day or night. I wanted the teleporter and storage container available.

Oh, and Update: Dug up a gorgeous yellow Ancient Skeleton, 1300 years old IIRC, worth 1.8M. I really should call it "Kindling 2" but it's worth too much. :p

Nice. :) I could do with that right now tbh.

Last edited:
That's the Artemis mission. I think the freighter comes as part of the Base Computer missions. One annoying thing about NMS is you have to have your current mission selected in the log (and the game often changes it for you without telling you) for events to trigger.

I'm also very easily distracted. ;)

Find planets with Ancient Bones. Those sell for stupid amounts of cash you'll make 2.5 in one trip easily. Look for natural burial sites on the surface.

Find planets with Ancient Bones. Those sell for stupid amounts of cash you'll make 2.5 in one trip easily. Look for natural burial sites on the surface.

I found one, but it was a "High Sentinel Activity" planet also, and as soon as I tried to dig it up, they spawned and started shooting me.

It doesn't help that the only offensive weapon I have is my mining laser, and I have no room in my multi-tool to install a Boltcaster or anything else. Catch 22. :LOL:

EDIT: I suppose if they are that valuable, I could get rid of the visor upgrade & change it to a Boltcaster & just go after those. The multi-tool is going anyway, so it was always temporary. ;)

More or less everything in this game can be upgraded.. From running, shooting, jetpacks, vehicles, ships, shields, breathing, building, weapons, tools, body, speed, maneuverability, scanning etc etc etc etc.......

Its all been here for a long while, well most of it. Just look into the game more deeply, it's well worth it.

My ship is pimped to where I haven't been killed by a pirate yet, since day one to be honest, I avoided them until I got the sheilds up ;).
I've increased it's speed (pulse drive) so I can out run if needed if I don't want to fight.
I wanted to survive out in space so the ship was very important, once I found my ideal ship I pimped that right up to the top tier for my ship type.

First things I pimped were ship, tools, body, not weapons as such. I wanted quick mining, good sheilds, to be able to roam a toxic planet for longer.
Ship speed as well as jump distances can be pimped too.
Lots of things are broken down, for example shields for body are broken down to types for environments etc, so think about things.

If you can wander around a toxic planet for a good length of time before needing cover, plus not let sentinels be a problem. Well.. do that, and your on your way. :)

If you don't like sentinels and their friends, then dig a hole and craft for a while.. Or indeed cook now.. :whistle:

Last edited:
My ship is pimped to where I haven't been killed by a pirate yet, since day one to be honest, I avoided them until I got the sheilds up ;).
I've increased it's speed (pulse drive) so I can out run if needed if I don't want to fight.
I wanted to survive out in space so the ship was very important, once I found my ideal ship I pimped that right up to the top tier for my ship type.

First things I pimped were ship, tools, body, not weapons as such. I wanted quick mining, good sheilds, to be able to roam a toxic planet for longer.
Ship speed as well as jump distances can be pimped too.
Lots of things are broken down, for example shields for body are broken down to types for environments etc, so think about things.

For me, the priority goes Exosuit -> Multi-tool -> Starship -> Exocraft. In that order.

Planetside is the most important for me, so for that you need good survival / manipulation tools. Being able to run for a long time, or use jet packs to fly between mountains is a big plus.

All depends where your "game" is really. NMS is cool in that it allows you almost infinite choice in that.

For me, the priority goes Exosuit -> Multi-tool -> Starship -> Exocraft. In that order.

Planetside is the most important for me, so for that you need good survival / manipulation tools. Being able to run for a long time, or use jet packs to fly between mountains is a big plus.

All depends where your "game" is really. NMS is cool in that it allows you almost infinite choice in that.

Very true.. Depends on when you start the game, as in what version. But everyone has their most important thing, space ship was mine for the first short while, as I'm not too great at ship combat, so that's why. I was good on the surface to begin with.. ;)
_

Further to the topic and directed at HG.. I'm sure they have someone watch this forum.. Mainly because they haven't got a decent official forum themselves.. Something HG/SM we need 'now' (please) ;) (etarc isn't good enough and nor is reddit)
Also the ability, not to have to stick with a conversation ingame that is always the same. We can't quit apart from frantically clicking through to be able to move on.. Plus keep a conversation present when you swap from looking at their ship details to selling or buying.. Not come out to have to go back in again..

Regarding the difficulty, NMS used to be more unforgiving, but its been made easier and easier along the line. I remember when you had to find shelter to charge your suit because zink (now sodium) to charge it up were so sparse. Many times you had to take ”a leap of faith” and start to walk towards the unknown, hoping that you could find a shelter in time. Back then mining deposits were tall monoliths and you could mine a hole in there and use it as a shelter. And aqquiring land deforming bombs was a relief, you could make your own hole, but they also were pretty expensive to craft. Those were the days, now we can call a ship, use terrain modifier and everywhere you go you can find more than enough sodium and oxygen to keep you running. An this is in Survival mode.

Regarding the difficulty, NMS used to be more unforgiving, but its been made easier and easier along the line. I remember when you had to find shelter to charge your suit because zink (now sodium) to charge it up were so sparse. Many times you had to take ”a leap of faith” and start to walk towards the unknown, hoping that you could find a shelter in time. Back then mining deposits were tall monoliths and you could mine a hole in there and use it as a shelter. And aqquiring land deforming bombs was a relief, you could make your own hole, but they also were pretty expensive to craft. Those were the days, now we can call a ship, use terrain modifier and everywhere you go you can find more than enough sodium and oxygen to keep you running. An this is in Survival mode.
Yeah, I think calling the ship was a bad idea.
They have made it much easier in many cases from day one release. But that was to attract more players I guess. There again they have added much more so..
But calling ships is not good really. Takes away a lot of survival needs. Although it has a radius I think.. But still.. Too easy..

Top Bottom