The No Man's Sky Thread

Overinterpretation. I said if he is so afraid of bugs, he can take extra precautions. I am playing almost exclusively in VR and having a blast, but I started a new save with Beyond. Perhaps that is the secret sauce. For me this release is much smoother than many FDev releases lol :p
The thing that you (and mdsilva) refuse to acknowledge is that this patch introduced major issues. When an ED patch causes some weird bug that has you lose your corvette, support gives it back. When an NMS patch erases your base, support tells you to update your driver, and you shift the blame to the user.

I have no idea why you do that. It is, for the third time, cool you personally have no issues. But downplaying the issues countless others objectively have had, and giving HG a free pass while instead blaming consumers who are stuck with a broken product, is rather shameful.

Out of curiosity: why is it so hard for you to acknowledge thousands upon thousands of people factually encountered critical bugs, and why are you ok with HG basically saying 'suck it, start again'? It's weird.

"The game is fine guys, no worries! But do make frequent backups of your folder, for, like, you know, no reason."

Or, alternative, you can play other games that don't require you to manually backup your folder every 30 minutes while HG fixes the game. Both are fine choices, really.
Bit snarky there Ian :)

The large majority of posts here on its stability are positive, certainly no more than the usual bugs we encounter in the games that make up our favourite hobby.

I get what Starlight was trying to say/do with backing up the save folder.

Bit snarky there Ian :)

The large majority of posts here on its stability are positive, certainly no more than the usual bugs we encounter in the games that make up our favourite hobby.
That's because the number of reports here is about n=7, with a number of them complaining about the number of issues. I don't know how often I have to repeat this, but it's cool when individuals have no issues. Really. But Beyond had major, widespread, omni-platform issues. It's just disappointing to see this endless blue-shirt-green-shirt, white knight-hater oscillation. It doesn't really matter in this context, but it's symbolic of the tribal times we live in, and I tend to push back even when it manifest itself in such pointless forms. :p

I have no idea why you do that. It is, for the third time, cool you personally have no issues. But downplaying the issues countless others objectively have had, and giving HG a free pass while instead blaming consumers who are stuck with a broken product, is rather shameful.

Out of curiosity: why is it so hard for you to acknowledge thousands upon thousands of people factually encountered critical bugs, and why are you ok with HG basically saying 'suck it, start again'? It's weird.
Man you really are taking this to a crusade level, aren't you. Other people tell you they're playing without major problems. We're also offering viable solutions which are easy to implement and allow one to play the game unhindered while having a cozy cushion of a backup.

I'm not giving HG "a free pass", I'm simply refraining from mud-slinging due to some bugs on release of big content update, while all you do is run around screaming "doom" to the level that people are literally holding back on playing because of all this noise. Which, again, can be alleviated through a save folder backup. Which is residing on your drive and not on somebody's servers. That's why your analogy was flawed btw. - in case of Elite "property damage" you're pretty much on FD Support's mercy. Here, you can simply overwrite the file with a backup and you're done.

Are other people experiencing problems? For sure, there were 2 million players since Beyond's launch according to HG. It is literally impossible to test all the hardware/software configurations. Some of these players could for example be playing on experimental branch before release which was said can cause issues. The thing is HG is sitting there patching, and doing it quite fast. They have a zendesk collecting issues. It is commendable. I know AAA titles which are unpatched to this day, looking at you Battlefield V and singleplayer missions stutter and cutscenes being unwatchable...

What I am trying to say is, try not to spoil other people's enjoyment by projecting your fears. Also I read somewhere that they enabled the rebind - can't say if it was on experimental or master, because I'm on experimental testing VR performance improvements. But now you can try the horror for yourself. Just backup your save so you don't lose your base or there will be more complaining.

It's not "tribal behaviour" like you wrote, it's my dislike to the "being offended" culture which is prevalent nowadays.
I hate it, because nowadays people prefer to go on a rant and not to play, while they could just backup and at least try to play the game. And yes I am pushing back on that "snowflake culture".

Man you really are taking this to a crusade level, aren't you. Other people tell you they're playing without major problems. We're also offering viable solutions which are easy to implement and allow one to play the game unhindered while having a cozy cushion of a backup.

I'm not giving HG "a free pass", I'm simply refraining from mud-slinging due to some bugs on release of big content update, while all you do is run around screaming "doom" to the level that people are literally holding back on playing because of all this noise. Which, again, can be alleviated through a save folder backup. Which is residing on your drive and not on somebody's servers. That's why your analogy was flawed btw. - in case of Elite "property damage" you're pretty much on FD Support's mercy. Here, you can simply overwrite the file with a backup and you're done.

Are other people experiencing problems? For sure, there were 2 million players since Beyond's launch according to HG. It is literally impossible to test all the hardware/software configurations. Some of these players could for example be playing on experimental branch before release which was said can cause issues. The thing is HG is sitting there patching, and doing it quite fast. They have a zendesk collecting issues. It is commendable. I know AAA titles which are unpatched to this day, looking at you Battlefield V and singleplayer missions stutter and cutscenes being unwatchable...

What I am trying to say is, try not to spoil other people's enjoyment by projecting your fears. Also I read somewhere that they enabled the rebind - can't say if it was on experimental or master, because I'm on experimental testing VR performance improvements. But now you can try the horror for yourself. Just backup your save so you don't lose your base or there will be more complaining.

It's not "tribal behaviour" like you wrote, it's my dislike to the "being offended" culture which is prevalent nowadays.
I hate it, because nowadays people prefer to go on a rant and not to play, while they could just backup and at least try to play the game. And yes I am pushing back on that "snowflake culture".
Lol, 'snowflake culture.'

When people ask about the state of the game, I give a factual answer. Not an answer based on a single individual's experience, whether positive or negative, but based on communications from media, HG and countless gamers.

That is not 'being a snowflake', 'projecting fear' or any such white knighting nonsense. Your 'bUt ThEy CaNt TeSt AlL hArDwArE' nonsense is obviously false when you just read the many issues on consoles, acknowledged by HG thenselves and reported all over the internet.

And with that, I am out. People deserve to make an informed decision. The launch was extremely buggy, it has improved and will continue to improve. You can jump in now and you may or may not be lucky. You can wait a few weeks and join a more stable build. That is the simple truth, and that is what people should be told.

And if a simple, factual and honest statement about a computer game you happen to like is a 'snowflake culture rant of projected fears' than lol at you big time. Beyond was a buggy update and it's being fixed. Deal with it.

Regardless, have a great weekend and enjoy the game.

Sheeesh. Undoubtedly there are a few people experiencing problems, but the number of people enjoying it and having smooth experiences dramatically outnumbers them. It was a patch darn near the size of the base game install that effected almost every aspect of the game and was bound to have some wrinkles. Not sure about the tech involved, but I wonder if that when someone loses a base from the patch it simply isn't possible to restore it for them. Whatever the case, I'm just glad that HG doesn't listen to the uber angry complainers and throw up there hands and say screw it.

Yes, I think Starlight did indeed have a point about snowflake culture.

If you are that afraid, then you can simply back up your save often. It is located in %Appdata%\HelloGames. That way if something borks, you will have a backup. Easy peasy.
I decided to wait before playing the new release to allow for some fixes, but regrettably I've now lost five or six sessions of 15-30 minutes of game play.

I save as often as I can. My last total-freeze was approaching the first space station having spent a good long time in my ship mining asteroids, and so I lost close to 30 minutes play/progress. Not happy, and no amount of folder backups will prevent this.

The game has never been this buggy, and I have played it routinely since day #1. At the moment I'm leaving it be until a few more patches arrive. My concern is that none of the freezes seem to produce dump-files, and so I'm not sure HG will understand (and fix) the problems that I'm having.

I'm pleased for those for whom the game is working fine. I envy you.

Edit: I don't consider myself a snowflake, I'm just reporting my experience. ymmv.

So, man... I don't know what's up in this thread. Since Beyond launched, I've had a HMD stuck to my face, it's been great fun. Typically 3~4 hours per sitting, numerous sittings per week.

Sorry that that hasn't been everyone's experience, but not sorry enough that it'll affect my enjoyment at all :)

One thing I'm genuinely surprised by is the well written story so far. Parts of it are quite chilling and I'm eager to get from point to point. Loving the vibe.
Agreed, it has a 'feel' to it

And with the story being largely text driven, it harks back to older gaming days that hits a bit of a nostalgia nerve for me :)

I decided to wait before playing the new release to allow for some fixes, but regrettably I've now lost five or six sessions of 15-30 minutes of game play.
Precisely why there is no point in waiting for bug fixes in order to play the game... or any game for that matter.

Best policy is to dive straight in, and then see what (if any) issues affect you - because none of them affect everyone.

Then look for workarounds.

Backups are always a good idea.

happens to all that use vr.
But VR has only existed in the game for two weeks. Yet this bug you mention (that I've never seen) has existed for years according to you - so which is it?

I've used VR (not as much as pancake, but I've used it). I didn't see that issue.

priorities are fine and all, it's still defective software. if they haven't had a chance to look at this in a couple of years then that just means there's something else going wrong up there.
Yes, and my point is that all software has defects.

The fact that this doesn't happen to everyone suggests there's something particular about the machines that it does happen on. Maybe a 3rd party overlay that is running in the background. Maybe a mod that's been installed. Maybe a driver issue. Could be any number of or combination of things.

Two years to fix a cosmetic bug that doesn't happen to everyone is standard in the real world. Are you saying HG aren't working hard / fast enough?

Nobody is claiming it should be 100% bug free or that other software is. This is the most blatant, and needles strawman I have seen in a long while. Tens of thousands of people couldn't even get past the into logo on all platforms including consoles. This is widely reported in gaming media and caused the NMS ratings to tank again. That doesnt happen when a few people experience some bugs, as with all software, but because piles of people experienced game breaking bugs.

Again, its cool that you didnt experience them. But if if someone asks for the state of the game the honest response is:"Thousands upon thousands of people have their entire savegame wrecked, lost all their stuff, cant get into the game, have abysmal FPS, experience BSOD (lol, in 2019!), crash repeatedly and so forth. HG is aware of it and has been scrambling to fix the worst of the issues, and by now most people can at least enter the game. You can try playing now, but if a serious risk of encountering major bugs is a concern to you you might want to week 2-3 weeks."

I have no idea why you want to whitewash the state of the game. There is nothing wrong with waiting a few weeks, plenty of other things to in the meantime. As for your 'they enter 24/7 crunch releasing 13 updates in four days because they care so much but the game is just fine dont worry.': lol.
Wow... triggered? o_O

I don't know how many times I can say this. Two million people played Beyond on the first day. The vast majority experienced no issues whatsoever - and if the NMS ratings "tanked" again because of a few thousand out of those two million people unfortunately experienced issues - then hell yes, snowflake culture.

I'm not whitewashing anything. I'm saying the game is playable. More than playable actually - it's fun - although your mileage may vary on that one. You should keep backups of saves you want to keep anyway... it's just common sense.

They basically re-wrote the entire game for this release, and frankly, I'm in a bit of awe at HG at just how stable it actually is, considering. Compare that to the continual mess that FD release with their patches - and they are always just bolt-on separate things that rarely impact the rest of the game. E: D has bugs that have been in there since release, 5 years ago.

...Then look for workarounds.... Backups are always a good idea.
I sure few would disagree that backups are a good idea, but they are normally the last resort, and equally are not a cure-all. They also provide the same irritation that I'm suffering which is the lost progress, requiring the player to re-do the same activities. This 'ugh' effect is not unique to NMS.

My work around for any game that randomly freezes, producing no crash report, is to contact support and stop playing it until they reply. Not really an ideal solution I'm sure we'd all agree.

But these are first-world problems and, after such a large update, probably to be expected. On the plus side HG have routinely proven themselves very good at pushing out bug fixes.

...Two million people played Beyond on the first day. The vast majority experienced no issues whatsoever - and if the NMS ratings "tanked" again because of a few thousand out of those two million people unfortunately experienced issues - then hell yes, snowflake culture...
Quite an interesting point this for me, on a few levels.

One being the 'never forget, never forgive' people who continually bring up the (I think mostly false, but ymmv) furore over no mutliplayer pew-pew on day #1. Too often they resurrect their 'trauma', as if all at HG, and most particularly SM, are damned for all days, no matter what has happened since. Indeed one particular person (no longer active here) piled in with much criticism, and then finally admitted that they didn't own the game and hadn't been following it prior to release. So I suspect some may have a 'hair trigger' for this game.

Then we get into percentages vs numbers. Yes if 1% of players couldn't get the game to start it doesn't dramatic, but if that 1% represents thousands people, then you have thousands of people complaining. And that is a large number of unhappy people that can not be dismissed as snowflakes - they are all merely reporting their experience. Bugs and glitches are in every game and product (hence the existence of the KEL - Known Error Log - for every major product in existence), but it is reasonable to be vocally unhappy if one can't load the game, or that it routinely hangs/crashes.

Lastly, if a good number of players couldn't get the game to even load then it begs the question as to how thorough the MS and Sony 'validation checks' are. In my experience, before releasing to a large and diverse estate, every know variant and combination of hardware/software/network type is tested for. For publicly owned PC's this is impractical, but not for consoles. Or so one might have thought. I'm honestly not sure how much checking Sony/MS do for updates but, in this case, it seems it wasn't enough.

But VR has only existed in the game for two weeks. Yet this bug you mention (that I've never seen) has existed for years according to you - so which is it?
i was talking about elite dangerous. 🤭

I've used VR (not as much as pancake, but I've used it). I didn't see that issue.
it's random but pretty frequent. again, in elite, not nms.

Two years to fix a cosmetic bug that doesn't happen to everyone is standard in the real world.
it isn't cosmetic. that caret gives you the orientation of your target, which is pretty important in combat, more so in vr where resolution is lower. for sure annoying.

Yes, and my point is that all software has defects.
yes, that's the point of qa and why tools and methods to address them exist. a serious developer is supposed to use them. the number of outstanding bugs and the time to address them is a clear indicator of the quality of the developer. guess what ... frontier utterly sucks on that measure.

Top Bottom