The No Man's Sky Thread

i was talking about elite dangerous. 🤭
Umm... this is the No Man's Sky thread. Are you lost? :LOL:

yes, that's the point of qa and why tools and methods to address them exist. a serious developer is supposed to use them. the number of outstanding bugs and the time to address them is a clear indicator of the quality of the developer. guess what ... frontier utterly sucks on that measure.
You won't find much of an argument from me on that score, but again, there's lots of threads for Frontier bashing available. This one is for HG bashing. ;)

One thing I'm genuinely surprised by is the well written story so far. Parts of it are quite chilling and I'm eager to get from point to point. Loving the vibe.
They definitely improved the story as well. It's more streamlined and easier to do than before.

But this way of adding a story to an open-world sandbox game is what I think could be in Elite as well. It's even possible to add multiple story lines that you pick up from some station, for instance the engineers could be done with some mission chain in form of a story, instead of bringing 50 tonnes of tea or cigars to make friends with them.

Yesterday, I discovered they have done another change in the game. A huge improvement. Giganormous improvement in fact.

The way you used to get a certain set of blueprints or recipes was to break into locked facilities that were guarded by sentinels. The recipes are great for huge money making, but you need a bunch of them. In the old version the blueprints you got were given based on RNG. Yes, RNGesus ruled certain aspects of NMS as well. And when you got the needing the last few recipes and you constantly got the ones you already had, it was frustrating. I remember spending a few days to get the last two in the old game.

Now, the new mechanics is that you pick the ones you want from a tree-list, so you basically decide which ones you want instead. This is how you remove grind! They've done it right. Love it!

VR in NMS is awesome, but I’ve spent ALOT of time trying to make it run smooth. Latest experimental helped, but I think my CPU is struggling, no matter if I have almost everything on ultra or low and no matter if I have SteamVR HMD resolution set to 100% or 20%, it still stutters especially when flying or running towards unexplored terrain, or turning very fast. Tweaking those high/low thread -settings helped somewhat, but no-one actually seems to know whatt they actually mean.

I really hope HG keeps optimising, my i4790K is certainly not new, but not quite obsolete yet eighter...

...This one is for HG bashing. ;)...
And in this spirit, my play this afternoon has been completely freeze-free.... flipping HG.... can't even be reliably unreliable... blooming nerve of them... how jolly dare they... really ticks me off... etc etc....

#RageQuit!!!

(Sorry... I restarted so haz no stuffs to haz...)

P.s. I like my current home planet - very tranquil...

I might have done... ...I'm not telling you though!!! :censored:
:ROFLMAO:
Sean intensifies!
Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/VNP5TyREqrF9C/giphy.gif

And after you have your backups, make sure you save them somewhere safe too. :)
Oh man, I learned the hard way that Dark Souls 2 doesn't have Steam Cloud sync. Lucky for my 220h overgrinded mage, I kept a whole backup of my %userprofile% between windows reinstalls.

it still stutters especially when flying or running towards unexplored terrain, or turning very fast. Tweaking those high/low thread -settings helped somewhat, but no-one actually seems to know whatt they actually mean.
I really hope HG keeps optimising, my i4790K is certainly not new, but not quite obsolete yet eighter...
If it's any consolation, it stutters also on a i7-9700k@5.1GHz, so you're not alone ;-) And it's not like either CPU or GPU is pegged at that time, it's something borked in the engine. Flying is a trip to reprojection country. I'm playing on a Valve Index set to 80Hz and the game usually manages these 80 VRfps, but not without occassional drops. And Steam VR Application override is set to 78% of the usual 150% it sets for my 1080Ti.

It's strange. I have an older laptop with a 960 card and a desktop setup for VR with an underdimensions (not VR approved) CPU, and even though I run in lower res and setting, I don't have any graphical issues. Meanwhile, one of my sons played the game the other day, and he has a gaming computer with a 1080 card, and the graphics is somewhat bleh and he has some problems.

I wonder if these problems are related to the switch to the Vulcan API. Maybe Vulcan needs a bit of fixing?

Umm... this is the No Man's Sky thread. Are you lost? :LOL:
the moment someone used the tautology "There's no such thing as 100% bug-free software" to make go figure what surreal argument this thread isn't about anything sensible anymore, really. ;)

You won't find much of an argument from me on that score, but again, there's lots of threads for Frontier bashing available. This one is for HG bashing. ;)
come here, you coward! fight! :mad:🤪

honestly, i don't really feel like hg bashing. not enough motivation.

So I've come across my first Ossified planet, yesterday, and just as with the glitch planets before, I'm amazed by the imaginative power over at Hello Games. It's a brilliant idea.

And also, as I dive deeper into the lore and the story, nearing my first 100 hours in game, I have to say they are... quite profound and genuinely interesting. For "Minecraft in space" at least.

well I've created a new save and disabled all the network options to keep the plebs out of my game. ;)......my key bindings wouldn't work so I set about rebinding them......WHYYYYYY HG WHYYYYYYYYYY. :(

x and middle mouse button are unuseable now because they revert to default and or wipe the binding clean...Fer gawds sakes.... key binding has never been the games strong point being clunky but this decison is noob level dev nonsense....USE KEYS LIKE ESC for that, y'know keys no-one use to actually control the game. I use the same controls in ALL my FPS stuff X is activate/use/whatever and I use middle mouse to zoom...now I can't. So 30 years or so of muscle memory gone down the pan. Cheers HG. :(

oh yeah and why can I STILL not use the other two buttons on my mouse?!!!!!

Last edited:
...x and middle mouse button are unuseable now because they revert to default and or wipe the binding clean...
I had to 'revert to base bindings' (or similar) for x to be re-assigned to 'quick-menu' (or whatever the default binding is). That's the only way I've made 'x' usable. But, yes, it's maddening... my language was such that I was relieved that wifey and even Bob (the dog) were out.

Discovered a new situation I haven't done before. I found a distressed NPC with a broken ship. I helped him repair it and he thanked me and took off. Only bother was that I liked his ship and wanted to buy it but he didn't offer it. :/ This was really cool though. A little short story in the middle of everything.

...And in this spirit, my play this afternoon has been completely freeze-free.......
'Hurrah', ten minutes in and the freezes are back. I'm 'overjoyed'.

:cry::cry::cry:

Edit: How is it possible that the galaxy map is STILL absolutely dreadful. Navigation/control/common sense STILL seems completely absent.... I despair when required to use it, and it is a major blocker to my enjoyment of the game, although it's far from the only example of inconsistent/incoherent controls.... the whole control paradigm needs to be rethought, from the top up and the bottom down. Sitting through the same inescapable dialogue 90% of the time is also grind - just saying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom