Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I get it and forgive it on consoles.... with a total known entity on the hardware it makes sense for the developers to make it the best they can on that hardware, they know the machine and they know their code and given one of the advantages of console over pc is simplicity to get into a game and know it is running the best as it can be for the developers vision.

What is unforgivable however is to use the same logic on PC where some people have monster rigs and some potatoes.
PC users are used to having settings to allow them to customise to make the best use of their hardware they can. Developers cant do this for us as they will never know exactly what hardware we have, as such detail levels, and draw distance sliders are meat and potato basic settings which should be in all PC games imo. (where it does not break the engine to do so)

I dont know if it applies here, but there have been cases where Sony and Microsoft demand 'platform parity', in that they dont want PC to have options that allow it to look too superior to console versions.

The pop-in is still egregious on my PS4 Slim, especially when flying. I've had mountains materialize right in front of me out of thin air that I've had to avoid! I land somewhere and poof, trees and grass appear in front of me. While the game had pop-in before, it was never like this. It kinda feels like PS4 is bound and determined to give us high framerate no matter what the cost, which I get when playing in VR, but not on my nice 2D screen. I'd rather have occasional dips in fps than this extreme pop-in.

I dont think Sony allows that. Part of their QA restrictions is that games need to hit a consistent minimum level, and it is up to devs to scale down if need be to hit that. Beyond that it is an engine-thing; Cobra allows you to see a base as soon as it is at least a pixel in size. NMS's engine cant do that as well, and NMS2 is the first opportunity to really tackle these issues.

I dont know if it applies here, but there have been cases where Sony and Microsoft demand 'platform parity', in that they dont want PC to have options that allow it to look too superior to console versions.
yeah it is a scummy trick that if it happens...... really kicks gamers in the balls who are prepared to pay - often a lot - more to have the best experience possible.

The game was published by Sony so anything is possible. It would also explain why VR did not come sooner (the devs were playing it in VR back in the rift DK2 days)

What is unforgivable however is to use the same logic on PC where some people have monster rigs and some potatoes.
PC users are used to having settings to allow them to customise to make the best use of their hardware they can. Developers cant do this for us as they will never know exactly what hardware we have, as such detail levels, and draw distance sliders are meat and potato basic settings which should be in all PC games imo. (where it does not break the engine to do so)

I remember when NMS was first announced - it was going to be a PS4 exclusive. I didn't have a PS4 at that point, so I was sad. :(

Then I think Hello Games said to Sony "Hey, you know what, we can build this thing to work across PS4, PC and XB1 with no extra effort" and Sony reluctantly said "Umm... OK then...".

In other words, it's the same game code. What you see on PC is (aside from one menu, the purpose of which is basically for dialling back for potato PCs) exactly the same as what you see on consoles. I guess it's the trade-off of having a PC version of the game at all. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Well, good news. I found an excellent abandoned ship, one looking very much like Serenity in Firefly. So I claimed it, patted myself on my back for my good fortune and toddled off planet to gather the necessary bits and bobs to patch the old girl up.

Bad news, when I returned some vile brigand had stolen her away. I knew I should have shoved a wheel-clamp on!

Some good news.

I logged into my freighter today, and the ship (with all its damaged parts) was there. Hopefully it will appear for you too.

(I have about 5 different saves going on between two platforms, so it's possible I was playing the "wrong" one from my earlier post).

I remember when NMS was first announced - it was going to be a PS4 exclusive. I didn't have a PS4 at that point, so I was sad. :(

Then I think Hello Games said to Sony "Hey, you know what, we can build this thing to work across PS4, PC and XB1 with no extra effort" and Sony reluctantly said "Umm... OK then...".

In other words, it's the same game code. What you see on PC is (aside from one menu, the purpose of which is basically for dialling back for potato PCs) exactly the same as what you see on consoles. I guess it's the trade-off of having a PC version of the game at all. 🤷‍♀️
My memory is not 100% on this so i may be wrong however i think initially this was going to be a PC game and sony came in at some point during development for it to be PS4.

the PS4 is really just a mid range laptop after all so not hard to port......(again the devs had this running on the oculus rift DK2 back in, probably 2014)

I`m having tremendous amount of fun so far, been playing for the full 4 days straight and keep discovering new stuff all the time.
Question - is there a way to trade with the other people on board of the Anomaly?
When MP first came out, me and my kids played and we could give each other things. Can't remember how we did it though, and not sure if it's still working in the game. It would be interesting to know how it can be done.

My memory is not 100% on this so i may be wrong however i think initially this was going to be a PC game and sony came in at some point during development for it to be PS4.

I first heard about NMS from the 2014 E3 announcement - and at that point - Sony were touting it as a PS4-only game. I remember it well, because I (like many) got excited by the scope and vision of what was being proposed, and was somewhat crushed to learn I'd have to buy new hardware to play it on.

the PS4 is really just a mid range laptop after all so not hard to port......(again the devs had this running on the oculus rift DK2 back in, probably 2014)

Agreed - porting to console and back again isn't hard provided the right technical decisions are made in the early days of a project. As I said, I suspect (though have no proof) that the possibility to launch on PC as well came from HG rather than Sony.

2.09.2 released on Steam.

Bug fixes

• Introduced a number of PC-specific VR optimisations.
  • Improved VR-specific anti-aliasing.
  • Reduced graphics memory usage to improve stability.
  • Fixed an issue where control pads did not rumble on PC.
  • Fixed an issue where transferring valuable treasures (such as ancient bones) to other players would result in an invalid product.
  • Fixed an issue where Shutter Doors had incorrect icons in the build menu.
  • Fixed an issue where Gek players would float when sitting on the ground.
  • Added a resource message when dismantling base parts.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause an infinite number of creature pellets to spawn in Creative Mode.
  • Fixed a memory leak related to starships and Exocraft.
  • When in VR, removed a number of settings that have no effect in VR.
Release notes

I first heard about NMS from the 2014 E3 announcement - and at that point - Sony were touting it as a PS4-only game. I remember it well, because I (like many) got excited by the scope and vision of what was being proposed, and was somewhat crushed to learn I'd have to buy new hardware to play it on..
So back in the day their offices got flooded and the berks had no off site back up. A load of work was lost, I wonder if it was arouind then that Sony came in and offered them money to continue with it? (just guesswork on my part)

Not sure I agree. My memory was that it was principally PC product, then HG's offices got flooded out and Sony stepped in to help, and I'm assuming this ensured it was a PC/Sony-exclusive. I also blame this for the interface controls being an absolutely horrible fuster cluck.

Edit: Mike's guesswork I think is spot-on!

When MP first came out, me and my kids played and we could give each other things. Can't remember how we did it though, and not sure if it's still working in the game. It would be interesting to know how it can be done.

Ok I know how to do this. When (at least in Anomaly) you near other players they will show up as a transfer option in the inventory. Simply go near the person you want to trade with and press transfer on your items.

Dear lovely HG,

Just a wee note to say brilliant job with NMS and lots of smoochy hugs and kisses for all the brilliant free updates, but could you please look at what FDev have done with galaxy map navigation across platforms, and JUST FLIPPING COPY IT 100%.

Love and kisses,
CMDR PiLhEaD

P.S. ...and pretty please, for the love of all that's holy, give us bookmarks....

Last edited:
Some good news... I logged into my freighter today, and the ship (with all its damaged parts) was there. Hopefully it will appear for you too.....

HURRAH! Very pleased to hear!! The ship I found was flipping brilliant, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed - thanks for the update!!

So back in the day their offices got flooded and the berks had no off site back up. A load of work was lost, I wonder if it was arouind then that Sony came in and offered them money to continue with it? (just guesswork on my part)
Not sure I agree. My memory was that it was principally PC product, then HG's offices got flooded out and Sony stepped in to help, and I'm assuming this ensured it was a PC/Sony-exclusive. I also blame this for the interface controls being an absolutely horrible fuster cluck.

Aye, you're both right I think. As, possibly, am I? :unsure:

The HG offices were flooded in 2013, but I wasn't aware of the game until the 2014 E3 announcement. They definitely gave the impression it was a PS4 exclusive.

Well it's cooled down a bit so I may get to put an HR into it tonight . Been about 5 fix and performance patches since I played last including full open composite support since I played last so hoping for good things

Dear lovely HG,

Just a wee note to say brilliant job with NMS and lots of smoochy hugs and kisses for all the brilliant free updates, but could you please look at what FDev have done with galaxy map navigation across platforms, and JUST FLIPPING COPY IT 100%.

Love and kisses,
CMDR PiLhEaD

P.S. ...and pretty please, for the love of all that's holy, give us bookmarks....
Heck yah.

One big reason I don't travel around more in the NMS galaxy is because of how tricky and constrained the map feels. You don't get the feeling that you're mapping in a larger space but rather just plotting a single hop to something in the vicinity. You don't get the experience of it being a huge galaxy.

In which CMDR PiLhEaD...

...is feeling prepared for absolut.... oh golly...

zpt9aBF.png

...tries to remember to breathe...

ixelNvA.png

...thinks that the one on the right is a bit of a looker and realises they have been in space way too long...

Qi6kdj7.png

Top Bottom