The No Man's Sky Thread

Trigger finger itching on that Rift S deal? 😁 Do you have display port or usb-c on your laptop? I never saw you answer in the other thread... As for NMS I intend to try it soon(ish).
The smoke still drifts from the hot barrel of that recently fired gun, LOL. Yes, I have both Display Port and USB C on this laptop.

I really hope they’ll add shared base permissions/ownership in the future. I’ve given up on this game until such time as I can actually for real share a base with my friends and we can all add/remove pieces of it regardless of who is online at the time. Shared freighters would be excellent as well. Don’t get me wrong - the changes in Synthesis look GREAT, but they will just make it all the more heartbreaking with group basebuilding being crippled as it is currently. This is ostensibly a multiplayer game, after all.

I'd say is as much "multiplayer optional" as Elite. In the end it's a lone wolf against the world.
The common thread between both games is they are “multiplayer “ in name only. In practice, they are multiplayer hostile; trying to group up will actively mess up your experience. NMS could at least be Minecraft-adjacent with shared bases, though.

Finally multiple multi tools!

I've been holding onto an Alien multi-tool that I like, just, for ever... I dig it, but it has so few slots, it's actually not great. I honestly just held onto it, expecting that one day HG would add / address multiple multi-tools. That weird digital attachment thing.

Gon' go git me a new gun!

What did HG do to "break" the game for you? All I see is massive improvement.
Didn't say it was broken, just that I enjoyed it more back then.

There was much less going on in the game at release. I bought it for the lone explorer type theme it originally had.
I also think they could have spent some of the time making exploring much better ingame, rather than some of the other things.
But it's still o.k. I still enjoy it.

Didn't say it was broken, just that I enjoyed it more back then...
I have had NMS from day #1 and until this last release I hadn't really connected with it, although I suspect that this was in part due to my space exploration itch being more than ably satisfied by Elite. However, with Beyond, I've become fully engaged and have already played 200+ hours and not yet completed the story-line, whilst co-incidentaly I've got ever more bored with ED.

The aspect to NMS I have always loved is the art style - very much of the old sci-fi book covers, and I love taking screen shots that could easily be put on a book. The base building has also provided quite a lot of enjoyment (and frustration) for me - probably more (of both) than I was expecting. Similarly the GOG community area of space is fun to inhabit, with loads of amazing bases to explore.

I agree that the exploration gets rather samey, and oddly is perhaps (after a while) one of the weaker aspects to the game. It would be nice if, the closer you get to the core, the ever increasingly extreme/weird/varied biomes/flora/fauna are there to be found.

I remember (way back) Sean saying that NMS was supposed to be a game to chill and relax to, sit back and enjoy the ride, and in this regard they've done a great job. I also think they've (now) got the grind/progression balance about spot-on. They've also shown 'other games' how to weave a compelling narrative into an open-galaxy sandbox, and most other games how to grow and enhance your game in a timely and responsive manner - many studios could learn from them.

In summary, I was pretty happy with my purchase on day #1, and I'm incredibly happy with it now. Well done HG.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a reliable fix for the "recruit potential scientist" mission not spawning an NPC marker for a Korvax ?.

I've tried tearing down and rebuilding the science station, making sure its in a room and all the different missions in the log. The stations marked but the icon just stays at the station entrance.

Edit : having binned it as knackered I wandered off to do my own thing and met him in a random system a few jumps away from the mission marker.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a reliable fix for the "recruit potential scientist" mission not spawning an NPC marker for a Korvax ?.

I've tried tearing down and rebuilding the science station, making sure its in a room and all the different missions in the log. The stations marked but the icon just stays at the station entrance.

Edit : having binned it as knackered I wandered off to do my own thing and met him in a random system a few jumps away from the mission marker.
Yeah - often the best way to solve a broken mission is to completely ignore it, and go and do something else instead.

On the plus side - the game does (eventually) self-correct. Often the menu will give you opportunity to reset the mission if you are 'too far away' - it's a sensible mechanic.

As an aside.... what I find slightly galling is knowing the reaction from the fan-base of the other games if presented with this as being in-game:

And yet, here it is. All ready to play.

I really don't think NMS/HG gets anywhere near enough credit.

Last edited:
I too came to the game initially, as I've said In the thread here many times, because of the art style.

It took me back to my youth in the mid 60's, sci-fi mags/books and also sat in the Rialto cinema, Saturday Matinee watching the many sci-fi series from years past, even by the 60's some of these serials were from years past, such as Buck Rogers (Buster Crabbe version) etc.
They put these on for us kids on a Saturday afternoon, probably cheap to buy at that time and show, most all were b/w. Those serials and films plus the vivid sci-fi mags you could get back then, which put colour and more art to those b/w serials, these were what I loved. They gave my imagination a very vivid picture of these far away sci-fi worlds, some films from the 50's did the same.

Didn't think I would really see them in a video game, until NMS came around and there they were, well almost. Just how, as a kid, I had imagined them. That is why I was in at day one really. Couldn't wait for it to come out and it didn't disappoint at all. It was what SM said it would be.

Things added later are great for others, which is good, but I haven't seen my freighter, base or other ships for well over a year now, don't need too, the game is about solo exploration going from place to place just you and your ship, simply getting lost in the game. For me anyway.

For most watching, these vids are just another NMS clip.
For me playing however, it's 'Total Wonderment'. I'm a kid again, sat in the rialto.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqA3t57Xsw

I haven't played this in Months, probably years. Now today I play it for the first time and it's really improved into a nice, mature game.

To be honest. If you want "Space Legs" and and atmospheric landings, then you really should check this out. Although I have to say the spaceship flying part of this game isn't anything like as good as Elite. They're really not similar games at all - ED is all about the Journeys, whereas NMS is all about what happens when you get there.

Top Bottom