The No Man's Sky Thread

first thing I wasn't comparing it to ED....which yes Ed has it fair share of problems. I vs been playing NMS for quite awhike. I had a large base with over 300 hrs when that save was deleted by an update. Jumped back in and now have 200 hrs of gameplay. NMS is space lego. The short story narrative was easy and wound up to be nothing....as far as permadeath mode.....It was difficult until I got my ship off the ground. The game is way too easy. ED does have something that gives it more purpose though. That is the bgs. It could be implemented better for sure but expanding your faction gives some sort of focus and purpose. The factions in NMS are laughable at best.
Aye, fair points - I did kinda go off on one there - sorry. :p In my defence, you were replying to a post where I was comparing NMS to E: D, so I took it as a continuation of that.

As a solo player, I don't really care too much about factions, but if that floats your boat... 🤷‍♀️

And again, for myself only, I don't mind if the game is "easy". Life itself is a challenge... I play games to get away from that. Using the old noggin is fine, but anything that requires quick reflexes (e.g. Planet Zoo, of all things :rolleyes:) is generally pushed further down my playlist.

I suppose it ultimately goes to show how pointless it is comparing two completely different games.

.... FDev seemingly has completely lost the plot ...
Not 'seemingly'. They have. And I think the reason is that they felt badly stung by the claim of ED not being a 'proper' MMO, hence the layers of half baked nonsense that they have pancaked on top. Rather than stay true to Elite being (at its heart, imho) a single player experience they panicked, and now 'we are where we are'.

In the mean time NMS had its clear vision, and built on it. So if you compare the gameplay in both games, excluding the flight model, one outshines the other like the sun outshines a waning match.

I sincerely hope FDEV deliver something worth playing in 2020. It's just that I don't think that they can, I think it is beyond them, they lack the 'agility'. And by then, who knows what HG will have given us.

Last edited:
Not 'seemingly'. They have. And I think the reason is that they felt badly stung by the claim of ED not being a 'proper' MMO, hence the layers of half baked nonsense that they have pancaked on top. Rather than stay true to Elite being (at its heart, imho) a single player experience they panicked, and now 'we are where we are'.

In the mean time NMS had its clear vision, and built on it. So if you compare the gameplay in both games, excluding the flight model, one outshines the other like the sun outshines a waning match.

I sincerely hope FDEV deliver something worth playing in 2020. It's just that I don't think that they can, I think it is beyond them, they lack the 'agility'. And by then, who knows what HG will have given us.
I think the Elite experience was a coherent one right around until Sandro started influencing it and Braben/Brookes went off-hands.
I don't care what the concept of an MMO is. I loved the vast space playground, the excellent flight experience, the lore, slow but interesting story arc and mysteries - and the excitement what comes next in development. Yes, multicrew was a misguided decision, but otherwise most features had great potential, especially powerplay.

But I agree in a way - if space legs are true, then that will completely break the game as I think it will be impossible to deliver without compromising severely on what made Elite great in the first place.

I think the Elite experience was a coherent one right around until Sandro started influencing it and Braben/Brookes went off-hands.
I don't care what the concept of an MMO is. I loved the vast space playground, the excellent flight experience, the lore, slow but interesting story arc and mysteries - and the excitement what comes next in development. Yes, multicrew was a misguided decision, but otherwise most features had great potential, especially powerplay.
Strange that you bemoan Braben/Brookes leaving the project & Sandro's involvement, then go on to praise PP.

Powerplay was Sandro's baby. I agree it had potential - but the BGS should have performed the same job with appropriate development & then become largely automatic. Having another layer on top of under developed foundations was always the issue.

But I agree in a way - if space legs are true, then that will completely break the game as I think it will be impossible to deliver without compromising severely on what made Elite great in the first place.
We have exactly zero information on what 'new era' will bring. But if they try and make it an FPS with "space legs" then yes, E: D will fail. Hard. :(

I agree with Pilhead. I don't believe FD have the capability to fix Elite.

Well, yet another patch for gameplay and stability issues has been released today on GOG. Well done HG!

I'm off to continue building my newest base, hexagonal in design, then I must find a deep ocean to build a deep underwater base. I also need to track down the last Atlas stations to complete the central narrative, and in the mean time I might even try a black-hole for a bit of random exploring. I've yet to try riding any of the creatures, although I did set up a farm the other day which was not quite as rewarding as I'd hoped, but then the cookery/recipe aspect to the game doesn't really excite me.

Hmm. That's my weekend booked out. Hope wifey doesn't have any plans (involving me)...........

I think many players think space legs = fps. It doesn't.
It means being able to move around your ship and do maintenance, repair, build even. Plus float out into space and mine asteroids for recources that might only be available in small areas in caves and crevices, same goes for planetside. To be able to explore in great detail and so much more.

ED would benefit from legs to improve the space feel, round it off and not just be a static entity in whatever your driving. Doesn't have to mean fps at all.
SC too would have been better avoiding that side, but the ability to say no isn't CR's strong point.

NMS does legs well, it does the choice of getting involved with fps well too in the controls, i.e. you can turn it off.

I think many players think space legs = fps. It doesn't.
It means being able to move around your ship and do maintenance, repair, build even. Plus float out into space and mine asteroids for recources that might only be available in small areas in caves and crevices, same goes for planetside. To be able to explore in great detail and so much more.

ED would benefit from legs to improve the space feel, round it off and not just be a static entity in whatever your driving. Doesn't have to mean fps at all.
SC too would have been better avoiding that side, but the ability to say no isn't CR's strong point.

NMS does legs well, it does the choice of getting involved with fps well too in the controls, i.e. you can turn it off.
I'm playing NMS at the moment, its fun like first person spore and has a lot of bits of stuff to do in it but I don't think its really in ED's league. The thing is with NMS despite all of the bits they are individually pretty shoddy.

The PG stuff just isn't there at all really six different planet types, lots of quadrupeds, birds and fish with maybe six tail/leg/head/body types some hopping whelks and stuff as well but they are boringly incredibly similar on different planets. On that front it lacks even spores variation.

The FPS has some of the worst hit detection I've ever seen you need to aim four feet or so below carnivorous indoor plants to hit them at all and animals you miss with the sniper laser drop dead anyway because the beam is just for show. Constantly getting stuck on plants off to one side whilst walking.

Economy wise I looked at raw mat prices and blueprints built an activated indium mine and am now rich to the point of money being no object at all. Got the end game s-class squid fighter by it showing up as I wandered through a random space port and my freighters a beast. I feel I may already have hit end game after not very long in game at all.

Base building is duplo stuff.

Ground vehicles locked to 3rd person view because the cockpit interior view is not transparent.

Old bits of the game now superceded lying about pointlessly, like the tool tip to recharge phase beams that don't need recharging anymore or the call spaceship for 1 navigation data pillars even though you can do it free from the quick menu.

Alien interaction is a list of canned phrases and irritating little dances with RNG governing reactions, I'd prefer it to be text based only.

Difficulty wise I only died once by standing about to get eaten and see what happened.

You can complete multiple missions by doing just one, even fetch quests for other stuff get successfully finished by another for entirely different stuff.

Can't turn off tool-tips.

Can't turn off mission notifications.

One of the worst cases of consolitis ever seen on the controls front this just isn't a mouse and keyboard friendly game.

Some really daft bugs like the vanishing crashed ship, even though the distress beacon says its still there.

Space flight lol. I can solo nexus pirate squadrons without using a single recharge just point and click with the mouse.

Don't get me wrong its a nice simple relaxing challenge free game, but its probably not going to be a keeper for me and I'm glad I picked it up in a sale. If FDEV are giving us space-feet in 2020 I really can't see them struggling to beat this hands down, it just screams stuff slapped together that doesn't really coalesce whereas ED is the industry benchmark for flying spaceships and it'll stay on my hard drive.

...NMS does legs well, it does the choice of getting involved with fps well too in the controls, i.e. you can turn it off.
Spot on, and due in no small part due to NMS being designed from the outset to be a different experience to ED. In truth I don't think these games are much in competition, however HG have shown, for one example, how to weave a single narrative into and through a sandbox game. Similarly, as you note, the simplicity of their PvP/PvE controls makes ED's lead-feet look somewhat farcical.

There is no doubt that HG have 'inspired' (borrowed) elements of their game directly from Elite. I would strongly advise FDEV to pay similar 'credit' to HG but, alas, I have long felt that they are in the grip of the 'not invented here' syndrome*, doubly so as DBOBE/Bell laid a huge amount of the groundwork for space games with their early Elite games.

(* Broadly, no matter how good any idea is, it is rejected as 'we' didn't come up with it.)

I have never put NMS against ED, whenever that comes up, I always say they are very different games and not worth trying to compare them.
The same has to be said for ED v SC, they simply don't compare. Not sure why players need to compare.

I played the first Elite back in the 80's. It was a inspiration, my only disappointment was I didn't have enough time to play it, I had a young family and was building a business up at the time. It should have come in the mid 70's for me.. ;)

I do believe ED would be tremendous with legs in my view. Open up all sorts of different play styles and indeed allow for new features (not fps necessarily).
But we'll see next year perhaps.

I play a few space games and like each one. SE, ED, NMS, Evochron, I/Rift, SC (although refunded main ships) etc, etc.. I can't say as I could compare many of them to each other. If I could I probably wouldn't have bought them in the first place. Each game I play are different in many ways. Really the only comparison, is they all have stars.. ;)

Spot on, and due in no small part due to NMS being designed from the outset to be a different experience to ED. In truth I don't think these games are much in competition, however HG have shown, for one example, how to weave a single narrative into and through a sandbox game. Similarly, as you note, the simplicity of their PvP/PvE controls makes ED's lead-feet look somewhat farcical.

There is no doubt that HG have 'inspired' (borrowed) elements of their game directly from Elite. I would strongly advise FDEV to pay similar 'credit' to HG but, alas, I have long felt that they are in the grip of the 'not invented here' syndrome*, doubly so as DBOBE/Bell laid a huge amount of the groundwork for space games with their early Elite games.

(* Broadly, no matter how good any idea is, it is rejected as 'we' didn't come up with it.)
Open and Solo as a binary choice isn't much different to multiplayer on/off really. Aside from group as an extra bonus obviously.

The "seamless" single player narrative is pretty badly buggered in NMS, if you don't play follow the icon and do things like build stuff before you are told you have to tear it down and start again as it can't cope with you having already done stuff. Except fetch/murder quests where they all get completed if you just do the one. Seems to be both extremes. The constant quest reminders for stuff I'm ignoring also grate.

Not a game that rewards thinking for yourself or doing your own thing, which is an odd approach to a sandbox.

Open and Solo as a binary choice isn't much different to multiplayer on/off really...
Have a good look in the options. You can play multiplayer in NMS but turn off any PvP aspects - so meet other explorers without them being able to attack/damage you. You have similar control over any bases that you build/publish. As I said above, it makes FDev's binary solution look poor along with their inability/unwillingness to learn from HG/NMS.

The "seamless" single player narrative is pretty badly buggered in NMS... before you are told you have to tear it down and start again as it can't cope with you having already done stuff...
I don't agree, this has not been my experience, and no matter how 'buggered' you consider it, NMS at least has narratives to follow - if you want to.

I'm not saying that there aren't irritations in the game, but they don't bug me nearly as much as they seem to do you.

Have a good look in the options. You can play multiplayer in NMS but turn off any PvP aspects - so meet other explorers without them being able to attack/damage you. You have similar control over any bases that you build/publish. As I said above, it makes FDev's binary solution look poor along with their inability/unwillingness to learn from HG/NMS.

I don't agree, this has not been my experience, and no matter how 'buggered' you consider it, NMS at least has narratives to follow - if you want to.

I'm not saying that there aren't irritations in the game, but they don't bug me nearly as much as they seem to do you.
NMS is a great title. Not sure why people need to talk down about it....maybe some sort of tribalistic thing, trying to defend ED from it or something?

The modes are all things to all players, which is the idea behind it. It only becomes an "issue" for the people playing open shocked about PVP happening or the people who want everyone forced into their choice of mode/style of play. As long as you make the choice that suits your playstyle everything's fine, trying to inflict your choices on others is where it doesn't work. Which honestly I think is a good thing.

Build shed mission, build new shed next to existing shed you already made (because playing in sandbox) to complete mission but its not recognised, demolish both sheds and start again now recognised. Great that very thorough I only got half the stuff back though so I need to shoot the rocks some more.

Go raid nanites from nearby building you already raided, the game can't recognise it until you return to the building and step over the threshold then you get an instant mission complete but get to walk there and back twice only the second time is empty handed.

Race somewhere in your locked 3rd person playmobile car to complete the mission which is vital and has a dramatic timer, or just use your spaceship instead and take 3 seconds to beat the five minute countdown without having to drive in a straight line through the foliage as that's faster than going around.

Move your base now you've been playing long enough to know what you want nearby, mission targets remain on the old planet so the repetitive slog is now long distance repetitive slog.

Its not really that much of a narrative, kids TV characters hop about and make sounds and you play chase the icon and don't deviate or do your own thing or it breaks. No choices to make at all in the story beyond the obvious one chucked in as a tearjerker.

I like to do my own thing which works in ED in NMS not so much. I just googled the base data mission to find out how I can finish it off because its very repetitive and I'm not gripped by the one sentence at a time story to find out its permanent and I'll keep getting those notifications to return (which I can't turn off).

It doesn't help that I like finding new planets having an explore plonking down the signal booster and going to the distress signals to find the signals with crashed ships don't have crashed ships even when the black box refers to the crashed ship still being there (I'm not on about the ones where the sentinels removed it). I googled that and apparently they get stuck parked way up in the air fairly commonly at an angle too steep to see due to clunky FPS mechanics.

The overall feel is very simplistic far too easy to become an overnight indium mogul and as a noob I shouldn't really be blasting sentinel walkers to pieces so easily or defeating pirate squadron nexus missions solo or nexus biological horror hunts where you just stand shooting from the roof and they can't get you. Its like they forgot we've got jetpacks.

Handing you a free freighter very early in the game seems jarring since you are grubbing about with your noob stuff planetside yet you've got your own fleet. The freighter mechanics themselves are so extremely simplistic and repetitive I'm not bothering going anymore since my mine pays much better and requires less faffing about with the text only missions.

Its just too easy and the only challenge I've found is stopping myself doing what I want so I don't break the completely linear story missions by being the wrong side of the galaxy due to wandering off into the sandbox or having equipped myself with something the game doesn't expect me to have yet and can't seem to cope with me having already.

6/10 being generous because SPACE !. I'll probably bin it soon, with no regrets its a nice little game worth the reduced price.

That's funny. If I had to write a review for ED all over again, this is almost verbatim how I would word it:)
How many thousands of hours did it take you to decide you don't like ED and have you considered that maybe you just burned out having done all that. I've had NMS less than two weeks, I feel like I've utterly trounced it already.

Its like comparing airfix with Nasa.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
NMS is a great title. Not sure why people need to talk down about it....maybe some sort of tribalistic thing, trying to defend ED from it or something?
Hmm...
That's funny. If I had to write a review for ED all over again, this is almost verbatim how I would word it:)
Oh? Let’s see...

“ED is a great title. Not sure why people need to talk down about it....maybe some sort of tribalistic thing, trying to defend NMS from it or something?”

Hey! It works too! :)

PS: For the record both are great games.

Last edited:
How many thousands of hours did it take you to decide you don't like ED and have you considered that maybe you just burned out having done all that. I've had NMS less than two weeks, I feel like I've utterly trounced it already.

Its like comparing airfix with Nasa.
Nah man, don't mind me. It's just that you're such a legendary Artifact level ED fanboy that I couldn't resist ribbing you for g on NMS. I have nowhere near as much time spent in NMS of course, but that's almost purely down to the PvP multiplayer aspect of ED. If it weren't for that, or I was simply judging the game based on PvE I'd say that NMS had more and more interesting content than ED, but preference would ultimately come down to taste.

The PG stuff just isn't there at all really six different planet types
Nope, dozens. They're on the LHS of this figure:
In fact that figure doesn't include Exotics, so probably dozens more, many of which I've never seen after 90 hrs of play, like "Hydro Garden" and "Wire Cell".
And then there are the "Mega Exotics" which aren't listed above but give dozens more variations.

As to the rest, I disagree with at least half of what you said, some factually wrong, others just opinion. For the record, I'd give NMS a 3/10 at launch, about 8.5/10 now. ED I'd give 9/10. And in no way can I compare NMS to ED. They're two entirely different things.

I love to explore, NMS is great for that.

Very few space games give you planets as good as those found in NMS. Sure they're sci-fi, but NMS is pure sci-fi, it doesn't pretend to be anything else.
With a few thousand planets under my ship's belt and using mostly the same ship, it needs a new exhaust now.. Samey planets can come around, however, if you visit 50, 5-10 are going to be memorable (imo), visit a few thousand and some players say, they're all alike, those that say that haven't explored the game. A few thousand planets give you an eye opening number you can call very memorable, they certainly have been for me. (lots of vids to show)

PG will always throw up samey items, just part of the process. But nature throws up the same. If its got two wings does that mean everything with two wings is the same.. Four legs, two eye's, you get where I'm going with it. Look for the differences, explore and you'll find enough to make you continue your journey, if you like the art work, even better. (I love the art work in NMS)

But HG has put enough difference in there for it to also throw up some very nice surprises and you can't argue with that, well I can't.. ;)

Top Bottom