The No Man's Sky Thread

In fact that figure doesn't include Exotics, so probably dozens more, many of which I've never seen after 90 hrs of play, like "Hydro Garden" and "Wire Cell".
i've not seen Wire Cell myself yet, unless that is the same as 'wired' in which case yeah, i've seen one (only one)

kudos to HG for some of the bizarre creatures on the exotic worlds, like the picket-fence beast or the explosion that runs away from you. it's a shame i can't feed them but then again maybe it's for the best...

after being driven away from the game due to crash after crash after crash, i have decided to jump ship from nVidia and swim over to AMD - hopefully my new RX 590 8gb will be nicer to me than my GTX 1060 6gb - when i eventually get around to installing it. fingers crossed.

Last edited:
The modes are all things to all players, which is the idea behind it. It only becomes an "issue" for the people playing open shocked about PVP happening or the people who want everyone forced into their choice of mode/style of play. As long as you make the choice that suits your playstyle everything's fine, trying to inflict your choices on others is where it doesn't work. Which honestly I think is a good thing.....
This is your opinion.

I was merely and politely pointing out that FACTUALLY you are incorrect with your assertion that NMS has only the same binary multiplayer modes as ED.

And believe it or not, i was trying to help a new player with an aspect of the settings that they may have missed.

Have the good grace and maturity to accept that.

No reply needed.

I love to explore, NMS is great for that.

Very few space games give you planets as good as those found in NMS. Sure they're sci-fi, but NMS is pure sci-fi, it doesn't pretend to be anything else.
With a few thousand planets under my ship's belt and using mostly the same ship, it needs a new exhaust now.. Samey planets can come around, however, if you visit 50, 5-10 are going to be memorable (imo), visit a few thousand and some players say, they're all alike, those that say that haven't explored the game. A few thousand planets give you an eye opening number you can call very memorable, they certainly have been for me. (lots of vids to show)

PG will always throw up samey items, just part of the process. But nature throws up the same. If its got two wings does that mean everything with two wings is the same.. Four legs, two eye's, you get where I'm going with it. Look for the differences, explore and you'll find enough to make you continue your journey, if you like the art work, even better. (I love the art work in NMS)

But HG has put enough difference in there for it to also throw up some very nice surprises and you can't argue with that, well I can't.. ;)
You should check out Exosolar's mods on Nexus. They add thousands of new possible biomes, skies, oceans, etc.

Stock NMS has a relatively few number on its own.

You should check out Exosolar's mods on Nexus. They add thousands of new possible biomes, skies, oceans, etc.

Stock NMS has a relatively few number on its own.
Yeah, I have them, he goes on Cobra tv or did, think its the same guy. Talks over what he's doing, he is very clever.
But I'm staying vanilla at the moment, have been for a while now. But I'll probably look at it at some stage again, but for now, vanilla. ;)

Last edited:
You should check out Exosolar's mods on Nexus. They add thousands of new possible biomes, skies, oceans, etc...
That looks tasty! Will give it a go. I just hope my screen-shot folder can cope :ROFLMAO:

I also like the look of "Nada's Starmap Upgrade" - that would have been really helpful a while back - alas not so much now.

The only mod I used previously was the one that reduced the amount of fuel used on take-off. Again this is no longer needed with the various augmentations available in game - one tip being to use an exploration vessel as they use less fuel on take off in any circumstance.

Last edited:
NMS and Elite really aren't that similar;

NMS is an exploration game - the spaceflight is just a way of moving between levels and almost seems to be a loading screen to me. The emphasis is definitely on running around stations and planets collecting things & spaceflight isn't really the focus but more something to get you to other places. The spaceflight is simplistic, mouse-controlled and cartoony, but still a lot of fun. It's pretty chilled and doesn't take itself very seriously & you can drop in any time and have fun.

Elite is a spaceflight game, and the destinations (bases and stations) are basically there to give you a reason to fly your spaceship around. It's style is perhaps more similar to a flight simulator than most games & selecting and flying the ships is complex, difficult and absolutely central to the experience. The game takes itself seriously (maybe a little too seriously sometimes) and expects players to do likewise. It isn't really for casual players.

Other than the fact that they're both set in space they are actually more different than similar.

Nope, dozens. They're on the LHS of this figure:
In fact that figure doesn't include Exotics, so probably dozens more, many of which I've never seen after 90 hrs of play, like "Hydro Garden" and "Wire Cell".
And then there are the "Mega Exotics" which aren't listed above but give dozens more variations.

As to the rest, I disagree with at least half of what you said, some factually wrong, others just opinion. For the record, I'd give NMS a 3/10 at launch, about 8.5/10 now. ED I'd give 9/10. And in no way can I compare NMS to ED. They're two entirely different things.
That would be more convincing if you were willing to commit to whatever it is you claim is wrong. Generic 'nah' just sounds weak.

This is your opinion.

I was merely and politely pointing out that FACTUALLY you are incorrect with your assertion that NMS has only the same binary multiplayer modes as ED.

And believe it or not, i was trying to help a new player with an aspect of the settings that they may have missed.

Have the good grace and maturity to accept that.

No reply needed.
lol, stop sulking.

I actually like it, like the horrific crossbreed of spore and freelancer. None of the individual components stand any comparison with other games, but the sum of the parts is simplistic and relaxing fun if wonky and inconsistant.

NMS and Elite really aren't that similar;

NMS is an exploration game - the spaceflight is just a way of moving between levels and almost seems to be a loading screen to me. The emphasis is definitely on running around stations and planets collecting things & spaceflight isn't really the focus but more something to get you to other places. The spaceflight is simplistic, mouse-controlled and cartoony, but still a lot of fun. It's pretty chilled and doesn't take itself very seriously & you can drop in any time and have fun.

Elite is a spaceflight game, and the destinations (bases and stations) are basically there to give you a reason to fly your spaceship around. It's style is perhaps more similar to a flight simulator than most games & selecting and flying the ships is complex, difficult and absolutely central to the experience. The game takes itself seriously (maybe a little too seriously sometimes) and expects players to do likewise. It isn't really for casual players.

Other than the fact that they're both set in space they are actually more different than similar.
Mm... but I think why this discussion got sparked off is that there's now a very definite potential for crossover.

Previously, both games have gone in very different directions, but if we are led to believe both are currently still being worked on, then it stands to reason that E: D may have planets, and NMS could do something with its flight model if HG chose to.

So then, comparisons start being made. E: D will have its work cut out to match what NMS manages with planetside gameplay IMO.

Conversely, E: D's flight model and galaxy map are very strong, and NMS will have a similarly hard job to "compete" if they tried to.

Looks like I have a reason to jump back into NMS again. I really have to hand it to HG: they keep putting out fun little updates that keep you interested.

Wow, HG just added a DAW! Absolutely flipping amazing. If it supports MIDI then I may retire from using ProTools.... ...well.... probably not.

I'm not sure if we just got more sand or more box, but it does make you wonder what's coming next?

e. "Switches and cabling have been added to allow this music to control other base features. " I feel a 1970's lit disco floor coming on...

I actually laughed out loud at the inclusion of an arpeggiator... I just hope it comes with a demo song from The Prodigy*... 'Light Up the (No Man's) Sky' perhaps... :ROFLMAO:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAm48rkUBl4

* I'll use any excuse to shoe-horn a bit of The Prodigy into my day 😇

Last edited:
Cool, but what a completely random, weird addition to the game. Although maybe it's in keeping with its Minecraft type feel.

ps Caustic 3 on Android and iPhone is awesome.

I've zenned out to this game a bit.

Good :

I fixed the 1st person vehicle view by twiddling the settings I can now see out of the canopy which was just black before. That's nice, I'm now willing to use them.

I switched to playing permadeath which sorted the issue I had with it being far too easy.

Bad :

I've still got the no ships at distress beacons bug, even Artemis's ship is missing on new permadeath playthroughs. That's a bit rubbish especially in a permadeath starter ship.

Now the surveyor mission has bugged out, so no power hot-spots will ever spawn at all (loads of the others). I can either go solar (pain in the rear), travel 15000 ly so I can reset the mission (huge pain in the rear as starter ship) or just start over again (I'm OK with restarts because I died in permadeath not so much because the missions break constantly).

Games where the missions instantly break if you deviate don't really suit the title sandbox, more like litterbox.

This can be a very hard game to enjoy.

I've gone with a reset, its going fast since I've already gitted-gud. Hopefully I'll survive long enough to reach the bugged mission stage.

Note to self :

Must remember don't move the base or the game gets confused. Even if its a "sandbox" and that other planet obviously has better resources, no toxic rainfall and carnivorous space-crabs.

Top Bottom