Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

made by 4 guys? incredible, I will check it out, *however* it certainly doesnt look as polished as what I hope either elite or SC will be.

But like i said, still looks great and one i will check out if it comes to pc

made by 4 guys? incredible, I will check it out, *however* it certainly doesnt look as polished as what I hope either elite or SC will be.

But like i said, still looks great and one i will check out if it comes to pc

its done by the guys who made Joe Danger. im thinking that this game is a simple arcade blaster, as you all say its early days and nobody really knows anything about it, but its good looking enough to raise some eyebrows.

has this game just beaten Elite dangerous with its seamless procedural generated universe. this vid begins beneath the oceans then into outaspace.

Thought that earlier but I wasn't sure if what I saw was correct.

My presumption was that the cobra engine is not ready for SPL whereas this demo was built with that in mind. Their demo looks very impressive and sure - the competition is on which hopefully FD take stock off and step up a gear. (Competition is good)

As others said they didn't beat FD as they released Frontier years ago but as far as modern versions go yeah, they are 1st.

Time will tell ...

The more the better I say. I hope they come to their senses and release it on the PC as well. Looks like space games are finally back in the mainstream :)

The more the better I say. I hope they come to their senses and release it on the PC as well. Looks like space games are finally back in the mainstream :)

does someone know on which console it will come out? just because if it ain't be xbox, libraries and the whole dev environment will be another and it will be unlikley to come on pc.

Looks interesting.. I like the worms and the bit where he blows a hole in an asteroid and goes through it. :)

Tricky one that for me... It looked cool and everything but it also didn't look realistic. I'd rather the asteroid get blown apart.

does someone know on which console it will come out? just because if it ain't be xbox, libraries and the whole dev environment will be another and it will be unlikley to come on pc.

if it's made on the next gen consoles (XBone or PS4) then there is a greater likelihood for a port as the newer consoles hardware and structures are similar to PCs.

Having said that, things made on consoles always break down somewhere in the port to PCs, be is control, scope, execution (bug) or something else.

My presumption was that the cobra engine is not ready for SPL whereas this demo was built with that in mind. Their demo looks very impressive and sure - the competition is on which hopefully FD take stock off and step up a gear. (Competition is good)

Wrong, Cobra is ready for SPL, there's simply no content to show on planets yet.

Technically FD could made such trailer too. They use their development hours to deliver actual game.

That's what is problem with these indies - they are all about "doing different", still trying to pushing same PR . Don't show me trailer. Show me actual game play. When doing this they keep repeating same tactics used by big publishers. Again and again.

Wrong, Cobra is ready for SPL, there's simply no content to show on planets yet.

Technically FD could made such trailer too. They use their development hours to deliver actual game.

That's what is problem with these indies - they are all about "doing different", still trying to pushing same PR . Don't show me trailer. Show me actual game play. When doing this they keep repeating same tactics used by big publishers. Again and again.

You mean trailers like this? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

That trailer came out as opportunity for FD to show progress, not part of PR campaign - Michael were seriously worried that people will translate stuff happening on screen as in-game montage, or that it will put accents on arcade action - which actually lot of people were surprised in reddit that no, ED is actually much, much bigger game.

No release date for NMS means they have created few staged scenarios, took some footage, and pushed PR message on. It seems legit business these days.

That trailer came out as opportunity for FD to show progress, not part of PR campaign - Michael were seriously worried that people will translate stuff happening on screen as in-game montage, or that it will put accents on arcade action - which actually lot of people were surprised in reddit that no, ED is actually much, much bigger game.

No release date for NMS means they have created few staged scenarios, took some footage, and pushed PR message on. It seems legit business these days.

I am well aware of all that...I'm stalking these forums just as much as you. ;)

People not doing that would probably make that same assumptions about FD though in regards to that video, which they also did.

Last edited:
I am well aware of all that...I'm stalking these forums just as much as you. ;)

People not doing that would probably make that same assumptions about FD though in regards to that video, which they also did.

No, they assumed that it is pre-rendered, which is much worse :p

Anyway, I maybe jumping to conclusions here, but I really tired of PR theater. I guess it is requested necessity to stoke people's imaginations and wallets, but I despise it. For obvious reasons.

p.s. fact that they are using lines from ED dev diaries and newsletters also doesn't make me happy at all
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...re_trailer_for_no_mans_sky_from_hello/cdw8h8n

Last edited:
Very impressive for a 4 man team!! And i've been looking around for more info on this, and not had much luck. Some more links that i don't think we have had yet:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/08/whatever-you-do-watch-this-hello-games-no-mans-sky/

I'll be keeping an eye on what RPS can dig up, as a PC centric game site i'm sure they will get the definitive on if it will come to PC too. I really hope so, the more games of this type the merrier :)

German's IGN and interview itself sounded like it is next-gen console thing. However yeah, it should be confirmed or denied by developer itself.

German's IGN and interview itself sounded like it is next-gen console thing. However yeah, it should be confirmed or denied by developer itself.

Well considering they have only done 'Jo Danger' games:

http://www.hellogames.org/

It is likely they used the success of those 'casual' games to approach one of the big console platforms, or angels that invest in that area. Seeing as in the interview it was only mentioned to be aimed at 'next gen', and an MMO to boot, i can see the consoles wanting something like this as they move console gaming to be an exclusive on-line platform (more control(money) to them etc).

It might be PC, but chances are that it won't be or not at first. I'm finding the difference in games thay have made and this one to be weird as well. It might not be the deep PC game-like free-form experience it is being portrayed as? Let's not forget X: Rebirth too quickly!

Looks pretty amazing, and these devs have a good history of producing polished games.

Of course it looks more cartoony and arcadey than Elite or SC, but that can be a nice thing sometimes. And more procedural universes, yay! :)

I'm keeping my eye on this one too. Life would be boring if all games were "realistic" looking like most FPS's, so this should make a nice change. I hope the gameplay is as rich and vibrant as the graphics though, otherwise it could end up being quite bland, though there have been some fantastic procedural games recently.

This type of game always eats away at my time the most too! :eek:

And more news :cool:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/

This is also why the game is procedurally generated. At one point during the conversation, an odd, exciting question is raised: is No Man’s Sky the first game without a skybox? If you’re standing on a planet’s surface and look up, every single dot in the sky is an actual star you can go visit. If you see a tree three miles away, you can walk to it and find out what’s underneath it......

....Even other space games don’t necessarily sit well with Murray as direct comparisons. EVE Online is the only one mentioned during the interview, although he’s still as keen to stress the differences as much as the similarities.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but our background is as console developers, and I think everything about the game bears hallmarks of that,” says Murray. “In terms of your controls, in terms of the fluidity of the game, this is not a quirky, hard-to-decipher experience.”

Top Bottom