Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Much in the same way FD "lied" about fleet carriers and ice planets then?....nah, cobblers is the polite word for the "lies" nonsense! I mean can you 100% prove that certain features were not there at all (which would mean lies) or that they were cut at the last minute and probably pressure from Sony and the PR guru's made Sean not come clean?

"lie" and "lies" implies premeditated deception.......did Sean do that?

And OFFLINE mode...No steam sale...:sneaky:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
lie - a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive . I think most people realise Sean did not set out to deliberately deceive.

He deliberately decided not to explain or correct himself prior to launch when he already knew full well what was going and what was not going to be in the release version.

He had no intent to come clean and correct his own incorrect statements. That is full on intended deception. A lie.

He actually took more than a month to try a first pass at an explanation of any kind post release.

The money gained from the miss sold initial release is paying for the new content. Had it not been miss sold it would likely not have sold the quantity it did.
At least he is delivering (and much) for what he received. Just to cite an example I paid for a life time pass of a game and still did not receive what I paid for ... and it's been over 4 years.

The money gained from the miss sold initial release is paying for the new content. Had it not been miss sold it would likely not have sold the quantity it did.

What exactly was miss sold for gawds sakes, mp pew pew....such a MINOR part of what the game was all about so I doubt it would have had much effect.

He deliberately decided not to explain or correct himself prior to launch when he already knew full well what was going and what was not going to be in the release version.

He had no intent to come clean and correct his own incorrect statements. That is full on intended deception. A lie.

He actually took more than a month to try a first pass at an explanation of any kind post release.

Once again can you PROVE beyond all reasonable doubt Sean was not unstructed what to say and do by Sony PR? If you cannot do that then it's all conjecture and going on and on and on about it makes you sound bitter and twisted over a computer game which is frankly not exactly great IMO.

for both of you I'll try again...NMS was primarily sold as a Space exploration/survival game. Anyone who didn't get that vibe from the vids has ONLY themselves to blame.

also one last thing...just move on....

Last edited:
Once again can you PROVE beyond all reasonable doubt Sean was not unstructed what to say and do by Sony PR? If you cannot do that then it's all conjecture and going on and on and on about it makes you sound bitter and twisted over a computer game which is frankly not exactly great IMO.

Or you could prove beyond all reasonable doubt that Sony forced him to lie out of his a-hole time and time again.

also one last thing...just move on....

This is so ironic seeing it was your response which kicked this discussion off.

Sean Murray fanbois need to accept that a lot of people think he was an outright liar and just move on...

Except when you sign with a publisher. Then it doesn't matter how much of a head you are; your publisher says jump, you say how high. Your publisher says release, you release.

That said, he could have communicated; but as I said, inexperience.

I would agree with you here, he probably got tangled in the corporate net and his inexperience working with a big publisher just was too big a mouthful. If it on,y was to scoop up the money they would never have added more to the game.

If the premise is correct, the people who felt suitably upset were refunded, so it's a bit of a moot point. Doubly so as the furore will have done damage to any after sales.

As for VR, I'm hopeful that its upcoming implementation allows headtracking as well. HG needs to be applauded for keeping up a solid series of meaningful updates, in a manner that puts many other games companies to shame.

Indeed.

Hello Games went from a small time developer; to being the biggest "expected game of the year" with over a million copies sold before release (IIRC and excluding refunds). Sean was simply too inexperienced, and too shy to handle that kind of pressure; he made promises he couldn't keep; either because Sony pushed for a release date, or because he underestimated the amount of work it involved given the number of players they were expecting; whatever the reason, and in the words of his lordship, Lord Illidan; Sean was simply "..NOT PREPARED."

I do not believe there was anything nefarious in what he said and did. A lot of people just like to see the worst in others.

I would agree with you here, he probably got tangled in the corporate net and his inexperience working with a big publisher just was too big a mouthful. If it on,y was to scoop up the money they would never have added more to the game.

I do find it funny that this thread is still salt mining about the NMS launch fiasco. Chill a bit, eh?

People are sometimes incredibly self-righteous about their indignation. You'd think Sean had kidnapped their child or something. He made a mistake, and has since made it right. Let it go!

And if for some stupid reason you can't forgive him, at least forget him and move on. Why keep rehashing the past here?

People are sometimes incredibly self-righteous about their indignation. You'd think Sean had kidnapped their child or something. He made a mistake, and has since made it right. Let it go!

And if for some stupid reason you can't forgive him, at least forget him and move on. Why keep rehashing the past here?

There's certainly a bit of that. I would call it being principled rather than resorting to some hyperbolic browbeating. People choosing to whitewash the past with their own version of events really does not help anyone though, especially in an industry which routinely screws over its customers and the only defense is to remind people of previous behaviours.

If we all chose to forget and move on then companies like EA, Activision and the like whould have a whale of a time, "Wahey! We got you good! But forget and move on like a good little consumer and we'll see you next year!"

Edit: This is not aimed at you at all D&J, it's just a general observation I see in lots of places.
People, in this thread for example, have been saying move on, forgive and forget etc but they are quite happy to drag up mistakes of other game's past when defending their game which always strikes me as rather hypocritical :)

Last edited:

It is always the same minority. Forgive them.;)

There's certainly a bit of that. I would call it being principled rather than resorting to some hyperbolic browbeating. People choosing to whitewash the past with their own version of events really does not help anyone though, especially in an industry which routinely screws over its customers and the only defense is to remind people of previous behaviours.

If we all chose to forget and move on then companies like EA, Activision and the like whould have a whale of a time, "Wahey! We got you good! But forget and move on like a good little consumer and we'll see you next year!"
I bought NMS early on, though it was long enough after the release date that I was able to get a used copy for a really good price. I actually enjoyed it for what it was, though I'm glad I didn't pay the full AAA price for it. Then again, I never pay the full AAA price for any game (still waiting for RDR2 to go on sale).

Since then, it so much more has been added to it, all for free. I definitely have gotten my money's worth and then some, and this was before the VR announcement! So I just don't understand all the hate, and there has been literal death threat level hate aimed at Sean and co. It gives gamers a bad rep, just like Gamergate. There are bigger windmills to tilt at, like the Volkswagen emissions scandal or Boeing jets falling out of the sky.

Edit: This is not aimed at you at all D&J, it's just a general observation I see in lots of places.
People, in this thread for example, have been saying move on, forgive and forget etc but they are quite happy to drag up mistakes of other game's past when defending their game which always strikes me as rather hypocritical :)

No offense taken and none meant in return :) After all, I'm very vocal about "an industry which routinely screws over its customers", Frontier being private enemy #1 in this regard. Now if Frontier releases a huge patch that fixes all the bugs and finishes the "half-baked" features they started, I'd let dead dogs lie and get back to enjoying the game again.

Last edited:
Indeed.

Hello Games went from a small time developer; to being the biggest "expected game of the year" with over a million copies sold before release (IIRC and excluding refunds). Sean was simply too inexperienced, and too shy to handle that kind of pressure; he made promises he couldn't keep; either because Sony pushed for a release date, or because he underestimated the amount of work it involved given the number of players they were expecting; whatever the reason, and in the words of his lordship, Lord Illidan; Sean was simply "..NOT PREPARED."

I do not believe there was anything nefarious in what he said and did. A lot of people just like to see the worst in others.
Agree. He's the example of the nerd that suddenly was put in charge of public relations. He was talking about all the cool things he wanted to add into the game, without realizing that every comma and punctuation will come under scrutiny by the masses.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NMS
If the premise is correct, the people who felt suitably upset were refunded, so it's a bit of a moot point. Doubly so as the furore will have done damage to any after sales.

As for VR, I'm hopeful that its upcoming implementation allows headtracking as well. HG needs to be applauded for keeping up a solid series of meaningful updates, in a manner that puts many other games companies to shame.
It's interesting to see how a few misspoken words by Sean Murray still linger around and make some people agitated, while Chris Roberts perpetual lying is met with "whatever".

The reaction from the masses probably will be to put in yet another 10 million next year when RSI (or whichever shell company that owns it now) fails to deliver SQ42.

Can't agree there; the difference between ED and SC; is that ED release MVP and has slowly grown over the years; SC will be released with the majority of it's features already in the game. Guaranteed, if ED took the same approach as SC, ED would still be in development (and probably in alpha too).

SC is going to take a long time. Smaller games have been in dev for 5-6 years; SC is now about the same; can't expect much else IMHO. It's a big project.

Not sure what lies Chris said. I only seem to recall him saying stuff would be ready when it had no chance of being ready; and he's seemingly learnt his lesson from that. At least, I haven't read about him doing it again; and it's now a bit of a self-deprecating joke he delivers from time to time.

It's interesting to see how a few misspoken words by Sean Murray still linger around and make some people agitated, while Chris Roberts perpetual lying is met with "whatever".

The reaction from the masses probably will be to put in yet another 10 million next year when RSI (or whichever shell company that owns it now) fails to deliver SQ42.

Can't agree there; the difference between ED and SC; is that ED release MVP and has slowly grown over the years; SC will be released with the majority of it's features already in the game. Guaranteed, if ED took the same approach as SC, ED would still be in development (and probably in alpha too).

SC is going to take a long time. Smaller games have been in dev for 5-6 years; SC is now about the same; can't expect much else IMHO. It's a big project.

Not sure what lies Chris said. I only seem to recall him saying stuff would be ready when it had no chance of being ready; and he's seemingly learnt his lesson from that. At least, I haven't read about him doing it again; and it's now a bit of a self-deprecating joke he delivers from time to time.
SQ42 = Squadron 42. Not Star Citizen.

Top Bottom