Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Correct.

Ok. Look, I am very glad that HG did not abandon NMS and are putting in more and more features. That's great!
However, what you just wrote is not what happened. NMS was said to include multiplayer at launch but it didn't. It was said to include taking sides with factions in combat but the game didn't have such a feature. Worse, HG initially claimed that the galaxy was just "too big" for any player to meet up with another player, which was a flat-out lie. There was nothing "spun out of proportion", HG promised features that were not in the game, and then claimed that the game was just too deep and awesome for people to be able to see said features. That happened, and while they eventually made good on most of their promises, you are not going to retcon history and say that it was all just malicious media spin.

Back to NMS: Can't wait for VR support, that's gonna be epic.

I think you misunderstood me a bit. I didn’t mean the media was maliciously spinning what happened. I meant they were over hyping it before it came out and they got carried away with it all.

I remember seeing a video with Sean on some big American talk show and he just didn’t know when to say it couldn’t do something. I wasn’t defending them telling porkies but I remember it all starting when it got swept up in a mega hype train.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I think you misunderstood me a bit. I didn’t mean the media was maliciously spinning what happened. I meant they were over hyping it before it came out and they got carried away with it all.

I remember seeing a video with Sean on some big American talk show and he just didn’t know when to say it couldn’t do something. I wasn’t defending them telling porkies but I remember it all starting when it got swept up in a mega hype train.

It is not just that he didn’t know when to say he could not do something. Although that is already pretty bad.

More critically it is that, closer to release, when he must have known for sure that he was not going to deliver some of the things he had promised, he never stepped up, owned it and corrected himself. He decided to maintain the deception and benefit financially from the accumulated hype on release and only offered a semblant of explanation a month after when the market outrage was already through the roof.

Toumal post is on point (and I am equally looking forward to enjoy NMS in VR), but I really hope we do not start again in the thread a new attempt at rewriting history.

Last edited:
I didn’t mean the media was maliciously spinning what happened. I meant they were over hyping it before it came out and they got carried away with it all.

I remember seeing a video with Sean on some big American talk show and he just didn’t know when to say it couldn’t do something.

I'd argue that most of the time it was less a matter of him not knowing how to say no, but knowing all to well how to say yes. Yes there was a lot of media hype, but it wasn't like HG didn't kindle the flames. I dunno about you, but when someone asks me and I say yes, but the reality is no, it's not the fault of the guy asking the question ;)

It is not just that he didn’t know when to say he could not do something. Although that is already pretty bad.

More critically it is that, closer to release, when he must have known for sure that he was not going to deliver some of the things he had promised, he never stepped up, owned it and corrected himself. He decided to maintain the deception and benefit financially from the accumulated hype on release and only offered a semblant of explanation a month after when the market outrage was already through the roof.

Toumal post is on point (and I am equally looking forward to enjoy NMS in VR), but I really hope we do not start again in the thread a new attempt at rewriting history.

I certainly wouldn’t want to rewrite it. I only started to play it properly last year having only played it a little after launch.

What impresses me is that they could have just gone if into the sunset with their wheelbarrows full of cash but instead have fixed it and made a really good game.

Once a thief.....

Yes NMS had a less then glorious start I get that but even after redeeming themself the way they did with huge updates, add ons, whatnot, all for free, people just can't let go what went south pre-release.
I wish Fdev would be as eager to clean up the mess they leave behind with each update.

NMS turned into a top quality game with much more to come, oh and in a reasonable short time.
The contrast with ED is staggering if you ask me.

Worse, HG initially claimed that the galaxy was just "too big" for any player to meet up with another player, which was a flat-out lie.
Actually, the galaxy was big already then, but they screwed up the seed number for your start position. The place the two players met, the planet they were on, I was on the same one just a day earlier. I suspect a lot of people just started in the same system. The galaxy was still big, but everyone put in the same place, it sounds like Earth. :D

It always seems strange to hear fans praise Hello games for continuining to work on NMS. There are other games that receive free updates after release but nobody ever seems to say the same. I have never heard anyone praise ArenaNet for continuing to support GW2 in the same way that people talk about NMS, same goes for Elite.

It's pretty weird tbh and strikes me as a community-spread narrative to redeem Sean Murray's reputation...

Once a thief.....

Yes NMS had a less then glorious start I get that but even after redeeming themself the way they did with huge updates, add ons, whatnot, all for free, people just can't let go what went south pre-release.
I wish Fdev would be as eager to clean up the mess they leave behind with each update.

NMS turned into a top quality game with much more to come, oh and in a reasonable short time.
The contrast with ED is staggering if you ask me.
I think the difference is that HG hunkered down and focused on making the game they promised, while FDev somehow got sidetracked and lost focus on the game they said they would make. Hopefully they got the focus back now for 2020.

I think the difference is that HG hunkered down and focused on making the game they promised, while FDev somehow got sidetracked and lost focus on the game they said they would make. Hopefully they got the focus back now for 2020.

It's always "hoping" for improvement with Fdev.
The last year or two they haven't realy convinced me that they're on top of things lest they would've done a lot more about bug fixing and balancing.
Yeah this new 2020 thing, it's gonna fix everything, didn't we say that at the start of the beyond series either?
Beyond was about fixing the core mechanics, to me bugs are a great part of that, and look what that brought us.
Yeah they fixed mining, sort of, void opals ruins the credit balance completely imho, but how many bugs are still there and how many new bugs were introduced?

Hello Games did the best thing they possibly could after the starting debacle, they fixed and completed the game with more then we expected in the first place, and all this in a reasonable short time.
We didn't have to wait eighteen months for the next best thing.

I don't have much faith in the big 2020 cahuna Fdev is working on, purely because they don't give me reason to have faith, most new features they introduced are half developed, I don't expect 2020 to be much better.

It always seems strange to hear fans praise Hello games for continuining to work on NMS. There are other games that receive free updates after release but nobody ever seems to say the same. I have never heard anyone praise ArenaNet for continuing to support GW2 in the same way that people talk about NMS, same goes for Elite.

It's pretty weird tbh and strikes me as a community-spread narrative to redeem Sean Murray's reputation...

Oh there are a lot more devs who stick to their game and try to deliver what the players would like.
LGM is one of them too with their Starpoint Gemini games.
It's just that quite a lot of people keep hammering on the bad start of NMS, even after so many updates and additions.
Hello Games worked their butts off to repair what they broke at release, to me that's commendable.
If another game dev does the same then kuddos to them too.

Had Sean not been the micro manager he is an hired a PR person to pimp his product, not of the negativity would have happen. But he's a micro manager and as such no one can do as well as they can, which subsequently went nuts. Considering the size of the company and the work they been doing to get past the first days fisacos. If Sean can manage to stay away from PR. Their games is going to be next to none other like it.
Look at the number of people working on Ed and compare it to those at NMS. If ED had the same dedication and free will to get past the "DAVID", ED would be the game of games.

Had Sean not been the micro manager he is an hired a PR person to pimp his product, not of the negativity would have happen. But he's a micro manager and as such no one can do as well as they can, which subsequently went nuts. Considering the size of the company and the work they been doing to get past the first days fisacos. If Sean can manage to stay away from PR. Their games is going to be next to none other like it.
Look at the number of people working on Ed and compare it to those at NMS. If ED had the same dedication and free will to get past the "DAVID", ED would be the game of games.

I agree completely.
It doesn't serve anything or anyone however to get stuck in the past as some do and keep looking at what went wrong at the release of NMS. It's a very enjoyable game right now and there's yet more to come this summer, not late 2020.

Hello Games is indeed just a small team, just like Little Green Men (LGM) making Starpoint Gemini, their latest itteration is gonna look a bit more like ED, first or third person flight with a smaller ship instead of capital ship management.
You can visit stations/planets and locations on those stations/planets, bars etc.
It's amazing what those small incredibly inspired teams can do.
The contrast compared to Fdev is quite present.
ED might have a huge sandbox/galaxy but if there's nothing to do then what's the use?

I think just like you that if Fdev was as inspired and creative as those small teams ED would've been souvereign.

I agree completely.
It doesn't serve anything or anyone however to get stuck in the past as some do and keep looking at what went wrong at the release of NMS. It's a very enjoyable game right now and there's yet more to come this summer, not late 2020.
I think one huge advantage HG has over FDev regarding their games is that NMS has a cartoon feel to it and not trying to be realistic. It only have to be believable, while ED has to be more than that. So that plays a lot into HG's favor.

No, I don't think the art style of NMS makes it easy for them, dev wise. I would think it makes it much harder for HG overall. FDEV rely on realistic look (or near), of which the skybox'sssss play a big part. Planetside is obviously different, but there again, HG have the task of water, caves, flora and fauna etc. More or less dead planets with dust, rocks etc, aren't really such a push. Some of the Space Engineers mod planets would go up against ED's planets, just a lack of dust blowing, which is a shame for SE.

I know HG put all this over to PG and the math's I suppose, but still, the tech has to be there for it to work. So overall HG have a more difficult job I would say.
But there again, I'm no dev.. ;)

Plus we'll not talk about 'scale', that just doesn't exist in ED really. :whistle:

Still don't care and I hold no grudge.

Played at launch and enjoyed it, played after each patch and enjoyed it, no pain was felt due to the lack of features I didn't miss or care about at the time of launch, and I didn't buy the game based on those supposed features/'promises'

Looking forward to VR!

I also enjoyed NMS in its launch state. Was I disappointed in it after the hype? Sure, but I still enjoyed playing it. I never managed to get angry about like some did. Every update in the last couple of years has improved it, often considerably, and the updates are still coming so it suits me fine.

I do think HG are more focused on NMS than Frontier are on ED just because of the relative sizes of the companies. Far easier to keep a dozen people in a small company focused and engaged on a project than it is a hundred in an office of four hundred that has several other concurrent projects on the go.

I love both games and still play both regularly, but I often wish Frontier would just focus a bit more. Fix the stuff that is broken, improve the stuff that is underwhelming, polish the stuff that is lacklustre, before spreading out on yet more new features that players know from experience have a fair chance of turning up bugged and nowhere near as fleshed-out as we hoped.

I would imagine we're getting close to the next big update.. Will be interesting to see what it contains, all the little details.

Looking forward to it now.

I would imagine we're getting close to the next big update.. Will be interesting to see what it contains, all the little details.

Looking forward to it now.
I think it's coming mid or end of July. VR is the thing that I'm waiting for the most. It was the first thing I thought of and wanted when I played version 1.0. :D

I think it's coming mid or end of July. VR is the thing that I'm waiting for the most. It was the first thing I thought of and wanted when I played version 1.0. :D

Yeah, I'm waiting for people (like you), to tell me what it's like in VR. Because after trying VR a couple of times with friends.. I know I'd just be as sick as a dog............constantly... 🤮
Just my luck really.. :(

Top Bottom