Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

:sleep:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Is not better because it lacks competence

More than five years waiting.....:sleep:

Still empty

NPC combat?! Is that what you call combat? Fighting NPCs is easy with or without engineers. The problem is other PVP players who left the game after engineers. What was already empty became even more empty.
Looks like you are living in a fantasy world. A lot of what you have said is factually wrong, so I have to assume you just haven't played much of ED. If you had you would know it's wrong.

Looks like you are living in a fantasy world. A lot of what you have said is factually wrong, so I have to assume you just haven't played much of ED. If you had you would know it's wrong.

Looks like you are living in a fantasy world. A lot of what you have said is factually wrong, so I have to assume you just love ED too much and can't see what ED and its development really are.

Looks like you are living in a fantasy world. A lot of what you have said is factually wrong, so I have to assume you just love ED too much and can't see what ED and its development really are.
Like what? I know there are many station designs, I know every planet is unique. Of the thousands I have visited and the thousands I have see from others, none have been the same.

As to five years waiting for atmospherics, I am happy to wait as long as its better then NMS.

As to the ease of NPCs, well thats different to each individual.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that people like NMS, but the type of game it is, is really not my cup of tea. I have really tried to play it a number of times.

But to say that they have added more to NMS then what FDev has I think is not being honest. Fdev has added a lot of stuff, it's just all not been good. I have been watching NMS hoping it will turn into something good, but all I have seen is shallow gameplay added upon shallow gameplay.

Maybe this new update will change that. I hope so.

Like what? I know there are many station designs, I know every planet is unique. Of the thousands I have visited and the thousands I have see from others, none have been the same.

As to five years waiting for atmospherics, I am happy to wait as long as its better then NMS.

As to the ease of NPCs, well thats different to each individual.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that people like NMS, but the type of game it is, is really not my cup of tea. I have really tried to play it a number of times.

But to say that they have added more to NMS then what FDev has I think is not being honest. Fdev has added a lot of stuff, it's just all not been good. I have been watching NMS hoping it will turn into something good, but all I have seen is shallow gameplay added upon shallow gameplay.

Maybe this new update will change that. I hope so.

Like i said, you love ED too much and i will respect that. What I had to say has already been said.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Like i said, you love ED too much and i will respect that. What I had to say has already been said.

I like ED very much but I must agree with you.

The game at least to me feels very homogenous and samey. I know many people love that the game is a 1:1 of the galaxy. It's something that I came to dislike quite quickly in ED.

ED misses out somewhat on a feeling of "hitting it big" with exploration. Mainly due to the homogeneity of the system.

I know I'll probably come in for a comment or two about how I'm wrong but I can only say that this is the main reason I uninstall the game after a day or two playing. Maybe having been around since alpha is a factor also though.

Love. Not me fella. ED has a lot that is wrong about it. You are talking to the wrong person there. I know that you can't really compare the two. ED is far more complex with just its PG galaxy alone.

Not really about opinions. Its about fact.

What is opinion is whether we like whats on offer. NMS I have tried to like, but I just find it boring. Exploration is boring and that is what the game is all about. There is nothing special about what you find as it is likely you will find it on the next planet you travel too as well. That I don't like, others do, I am assuming like you. It's just not for me.

As to them developing faster, well that depends on the ease of what they are developing. Nothing I have see in NMS has looked difficult to achieve so far.

I like ED very much but I must agree with you.

The game at least to me feels very homogenous and samey. I know many people love that the game is a 1:1 of the galaxy. It's something that I came to dislike quite quickly in ED.

ED misses out somewhat on a feeling of "hitting it big" with exploration. Mainly due to the homogeneity of the system.

I know I'll probably come in for a comment or two about how I'm wrong but I can only say that this is the main reason I uninstall the game after a day or two playing. Maybe having been around since alpha is a factor also though.
I get the exact opposite feeling. Because things are rare in ED, when I find something it feels like a big deal. In NMS there are finds all over the place on pretty much every planet and for me nothing feels special. For me it removes any kind wonder from the game.

But that is just how I feel. You feel different and I won't be saying you are wrong. We just look at things differently thats all.

Although I’m loath to join in the “no U” conversation, I’d say that NMS has much more detailed textures but the “graphics” are a matter of taste and opinion.

Outside of Elite Dangerous’ ships bridges, the textures look like they’re from a game from the mid 2000’s, like Doom 3 era. I’ve spent a lot of time mooching around in VR, so I’ve got to see stuff on foot at the same ranges as NMS.

NMS is a lot more detailed up-close, and has fantastic looking tessellation for planetary surfaces (as opposed to Elite’s noticeably flat surface detail). The graphics today are much improved from the initial release, and it makes me wonder if people’s opinions on the textures are based on outmoded versions of the game. I run at maximum settings, and I think it looks fantastic.

Where Elite wins is in scale. The draw distance is much, much greater. Although the textures are fairly low resolution, we’re not supposed to be seeing them up close (yet, fingers crossed), we’re supposed to be seeing them for up to hundreds of kilometres away.

I love the look of both games for different reasons, like one is Kubrick’s 2001 and the other is the cover of a Yes album.

Frontier needs to deliver more content and features for Elite Dangerous. Hello Games released more substantial free updates imo. Frontier should study the first person game mechanics of NMS so that it'll be better in ED.

For me, and this is only my opinion. ☺

I love space games, ED included, but I had very high hopes for ED, but it seems to me (as said, just my opinion), some bigger deals came along and ED got put aside by the main force of the company. Probably not willingly by some in the company, but you go and do what the boss says and rightly so. ;)

When it all started, it seemed like FDev were all.. and it felt like .. 'all' .. the company and staff were behind it and wanted it to be the best.
But bigger deals got ED side tracked and ended up with either a reduced work force on it, or lets say, a large number, but not focused in the right places.

That is just my thoughts on it.

I hope at some stage DB thinks hard about ED and how the game has helped the company. It could still be that vision they first touted..

For me, and this is only my opinion. ☺

I love space games, ED included, but I had very high hopes for ED, but it seems to me (as said, just my opinion), some bigger deals came along and ED got put aside by the main force of the company. Probably not willingly by some in the company, but you go and do what the boss says and rightly so. ;)

When it all started, it seemed like FDev were all.. and it felt like .. 'all' .. the company and staff were behind it and wanted it to be the best.
But bigger deals got ED side tracked and ended up with either a reduced work force on it, or lets say, a large number, but not focused in the right places.

That is just my thoughts on it.

I hope at some stage DB thinks hard about ED and how the game has helped the company. It could still be that vision they first touted..

I still love ED too though I’m not playing it as much lately.

I think pretty much the same as you but reckon that the Micro transaction store is probably a big part of it. They probably found they can generate plenty of money from paint jobs and the like with far less development effort than creating real content to attract new players with premium expansions.

I guess that strategy can only last so long as eventually everyone will get bored and stop buying paint jobs etc.

For Hello games I expect they primarily wanted to rebuild their reputation. I think they have done a good job of that. Can’t wait to try NMS in VR :D

I love the look of both games for different reasons, like one is Kubrick’s 2001 and the other is the cover of a Yes album.
The younglings probably won't know what you're talking about... 😄 (Now I want to play Wondrous Stories or Starship Trooper again. oh, good memories)

The way I've been comparing the games is using Lego. One is like Techno and the other like Duplo. 🤪

First off, I don't like the aesthetics of NMS because I'm not a fan of the over-colourful, cartoony look. I know that some people are, it's a personal thing. Funnily enough, unlike the examples mentioned above, I grew up on realistic astronomical illustrations, as well as more realistic sci-fi stuff, so that could also be why I prefer the more realistic design of Elite.

There's that, and there's also that the game is much more focused on planetary prospecting. Mine / find various materials to build stuff to mine more kinds of materials to build stuff to mine more... I have some hopes that the upcoming update will add some more to this, perhaps better building. But so far, I've never stuck long with the game.
Contrary to the original expectations, to me NMS has always seemed like a planetary survival FPS with the - rather shoddy - space sim parts bolted on top of that. I mean, no offense, but it would be serious to claim that NMS's space flight and combat rivals that of Elite's. It's a different kind of game that for some reason still gets lumped into the space sim genre, even though that's not its actual focus.

Hm, all too true. Now that I think about it, it feels the same to me as well.
This also makes me wonder whether the reason why FD haven't announced what the "New Era" expansion of Elite will be is because we'll see them as no longer really trying, or certainly not as much as they used to in the earlier days. The Beyond of Elite Dangerous certainly seemed like the developers were focused elsewhere, with the exception of Chapter One I guess.
Then again, if the expansion won't be space legs and atmospheric flight both, large groups of players will be disappointed. So if they aren't shooting to releasing those for the same expansion, that would be a good reason why they're staying silent.
In any case, since the NMS developers have only one game to work on, they certainly aren't going to be viewed as not doing as much with their game as they could. Of course, the risk with one-game studios is always that if that game goes under, the studio will most likely follow. It's a good thing that NMS had a publisher who could for the developers to continue after the disastrous launch, and back them financially to do so. (Although I confess I have absolutely no idea about Hello Games's finances, and whether they could have continued developing without Sony or not.)

Update: cool, I stand corrected on the one game aspect by Han Zulu below.

Last edited:
Top Bottom