Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

ah, you mean only via mission rewards?
Thats the free way along with exocraft having direct access to a drop pod only scanner options... on the scanner when you press to open the exocrafts menu with down...
The other free way is Ancient Data Structures on planets..

Before the Nav data could be fed 1 at a time into the signal booster with multi choices of what to scan for, this no longer applies... its RNG now unless you have a Drop Pod Coordinate Data to feed it ...
Now to get drop pod data you must earn via missions. scan with Analysis Visor for Ancient Data Structures to pick them up or pay with credits at a planet base...

I wish they would give a sensibility pass to interacting with some alien vendors.

For instance I have 15 navigation data ready to be handed in to the cartography agent. To get the planetary data I want I have sit through the canned conversation 15 TIMES to do so. Why cant there be an option to "give all" and receive those 15 in one go. It's just not very fun.

I wish they would give a sensibility pass to interacting with some alien vendors.

For instance I have 15 navigation data ready to be handed in to the cartography agent. To get the planetary data I want I have sit through the canned conversation 15 TIMES to do so. Why cant there be an option to "give all" and receive those 15 in one go. It's just not very fun.
That, and I wish there were unique missions you could pick up by dialogues with random NPCs.

how stable is the game now after the update, I keep on meaning to get back into it after a hiatus but it seems there's a constant stream of patches. (not VRing btw)

I've had a bit of frame rate hitching. Not terrible and not always but it's there now and then.

The worst I've had is an instance of where my character lost focus and just started spinning wildly which required a task manager quit. It's not happened since in 30 hours play time.

Overall I'm happy

how stable is the game now after the update, I keep on meaning to get back into it after a hiatus but it seems there's a constant stream of patches. (not VRing btw)

Crashed for me tonight in my first attempt at trying it in VR. Just froze completely & had to kill with task manager. Think there's more work needed there.

Other than that, just the usual bugs people have reported - which are steadily getting fixed in these patches.

Generally pretty stable in 2D. Definitely playable.

That, and I wish there were unique missions you could pick up by dialogues with random NPCs.

I had a very strange "episode" with an NPC at a space station recently. Having said that, he looked a bit different from the normal random NPCs, and it was part of one of the main story lines.

Also, literally an hour ago I picked up a very large (random?) mission as part of a run-of-the-mill pirate attack in space. It's now listed as a Secondary Mission in the log. It's had me warp to a new system, tracking a strange signal from a long lost traveler. I'm on about step 4 of the mission and it's huge. Can't say much more without a Spoiler Alert. But the next step is for me to build something I had no idea even existed in NMS. One of those OMG moments, again. Perhaps everyone else knows about this thing from release/patch notes, but it's all new to me. :)

I've had three ctd's since the release of Beyond in about 17 hours of play. Kind of annoying, but nothing too bad.
I've had a bit of frame rate hitching. Not terrible and not always but it's there now and then.

The worst I've had is an instance of where my character lost focus and just started spinning wildly which required a task manager quit. It's not happened since in 30 hours play time.

Overall I'm happy
Crashed for me tonight in my first attempt at trying it in VR. Just froze completely & had to kill with task manager. Think there's more work needed there.

Other than that, just the usual bugs people have reported - which are steadily getting fixed in these patches.

Generally pretty stable in 2D. Definitely playable.

Thanks all, I think I'll hang on for a little bit longer for more stability.

Well, wish me luck fellow Commanders, 2.09.1 loaded, x-box controller prepped, Lavazza coffee made, biscuits on standby, wifey out for much of the day, no chores to do*......

...I'm firing a new game up now... ...in the pipe 5 by 5... let's hope it's a dry heat...

Edit. You may need to remap your previous keyboard mappings, if in doubt do them anyway, as they may not work otherwise - even if they look fine!

(* yeah, there are always chores to do, but none are getting done on this day!)

Last edited:
I've been a software developer for 30 odd years (some of them were very odd), and I know this to be true.

I also know that life is short, and that there's no point in denying yourself life's pleasures in waiting for "perfection" to appear - it won't happen.

funnily enough, frontier's software quality strategy might be indeed (and literally) that: "waiting for perfection to appear" 😂🤣😅

i've been "sw developer" for roughly the same time (we're nowadays called "sw engineers", mind you) and i can tell you this: no bug fixes itself. fixing (e.g.) the damn gizmo sometimes not displaying on targeted ships after years ... that isn't "waiting for perfection to appear", that's not giving a flying fig (and being a "sw crook" btw).

I've been a software developer for 30 odd years (some of them were very odd), and I know this to be true.

I also know that life is short, and that there's no point in denying yourself life's pleasures in waiting for "perfection" to appear - it won't happen.

Just play the game. Or don't. It's entirely up to you. 🤷‍♀️

Some people lost all they had four times in week since Beyond launched. It's great that you were lucky so far, but people aren't expecting bug free or perfection, people expect to be able to use a teleporter without losing their base, or be able to play ironman without being killed by a cheater overruling all anti-pvo mechanics.

Let's be honest: HG didn't scrambke nearly 24/7 because it was/is so peachy. It was a clusterfarce that they are gradually fixing as best as they can. Life is indeed short, and many don't want to spend that on a computer game building stuff they can lose at any moment.

Some people lost all they had four times in week since Beyond launched. It's great that you were lucky so far, but people aren't expecting bug free or perfection, people expect to be able to use a teleporter without losing their base, or be able to play ironman without being killed by a cheater overruling all anti-pvo mechanics.

Let's be honest: HG didn't scrambke nearly 24/7 because it was/is so peachy. It was a clusterfarce that they are gradually fixing as best as they can. Life is indeed short, and many don't want to spend that on a computer game building stuff they can lose at any moment.
I think they should have stuck to the original idea to divide it up into three releases instead of a big one. Too many changes just increases the chances of more serious bugs.

funnily enough, frontier's software quality strategy might be indeed (and literally) that: "waiting for perfection to appear" 😂🤣😅

This is why we waited 20 years for Elite 4. :LOL:

i've been "sw developer" for roughly the same time (we're nowadays called "sw engineers", mind you) and i can tell you this: no bug fixes itself. fixing (e.g.) the damn gizmo sometimes not displaying on targeted ships after years ... that isn't "waiting for perfection to appear", that's not giving a flying fig (and being a "sw crook" btw).

No. For one thing, I've never experienced the bug you mention despite over 300 hours playtime. This means it doesn't happen in all cases on all systems. Consequently, it's a low priority bug... and software developers / engineers fix things in order of priority. Low priority bugs often take a long time to fix for this reason - there's always something more "important". It is also a question of how easily it can be reproduced - as I said, I've never seen that behaviour (not doubting it exists btw, that's not the same thing). There is also the scenario where they think "Oh, well we're going to be redeveloping X completely anyway - that'll probably fix it - no point in investigating why Bug Y is happening on the old system".

Not saying anything about the severity or annoyance level of the bugs. Just that there will always be bugs in software. Every piece of software. Even Windows has bugs! gasp

They scrambled 24/7 because they care deeply about this game, and that people don't experience some of the things you mention above. It was hardly a "clusterfarce". I was able to play quite effectively on day one of the patch - as were the vast majority of people.

It's just a bit better now that they've squashed some bugs. But clusterfarce? Nah.

Not saying anything about the severity or annoyance level of the bugs. Just that there will always be bugs in software. Every piece of software. Even Windows has bugs! gasp

Nobody is claiming it should be 100% bug free or that other software is. This is the most blatant, and needles strawman I have seen in a long while. Tens of thousands of people couldn't even get past the into logo on all platforms including consoles. This is widely reported in gaming media and caused the NMS ratings to tank again. That doesnt happen when a few people experience some bugs, as with all software, but because piles of people experienced game breaking bugs.

Again, its cool that you didnt experience them. But if if someone asks for the state of the game the honest response is:"Thousands upon thousands of people have their entire savegame wrecked, lost all their stuff, cant get into the game, have abysmal FPS, experience BSOD (lol, in 2019!), crash repeatedly and so forth. HG is aware of it and has been scrambling to fix the worst of the issues, and by now most people can at least enter the game. You can try playing now, but if a serious risk of encountering major bugs is a concern to you you might want to week 2-3 weeks."

I have no idea why you want to whitewash the state of the game. There is nothing wrong with waiting a few weeks, plenty of other things to in the meantime. As for your 'they enter 24/7 crunch releasing 13 updates in four days because they care so much but the game is just fine dont worry.': lol.

No. For one thing, I've never experienced the bug you mention despite over 300 hours playtime.

happens to all that use vr.

Consequently, it's a low priority bug... and software developers / engineers fix things in order of priority

priorities are fine and all, it's still defective software. if they haven't had a chance to look at this in a couple of years then that just means there's something else going wrong up there.

Top Bottom