Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Flipping heck... is it just me using the GoG version? I've never known this game to crash so often - it's really getting VERY tiresome! I may even do the hoovering.....

Just adding another data point on crashes...
PC / GOG player, flatscreen only, 24 hrs gameplay since beyond drop (yikes). So far 4 (or 5?) CTDs and a strange once-only bug in multiplayer where the game couldn't complete the nexus auto-docking and I ended up rotating slowly in the dock area. But I could still chat and it was an amusing scene for all the other players going by the banter.

I feel for all the base builders. My play style is being in and out of the ship all the time, so I lose virtually no play time for a CTD.

If you are that afraid, then you can simply back up your save often. It is located in %Appdata%\HelloGames. That way if something borks, you will have a backup. Easy peasy.

"The game is fine guys, no worries! But do make frequent backups of your folder, for, like, you know, no reason."

Or, alternative, you can play other games that don't require you to manually backup your folder every 30 minutes while HG fixes the game. Both are fine choices, really.

"The game is fine guys, no worries! But do make frequent backups of your folder, for, like, you know, no reason."
Overinterpretation. I said if he is so afraid of bugs, he can take extra precautions. I am playing almost exclusively in VR and having a blast, but I started a new save with Beyond. Perhaps that is the secret sauce. For me this release is much smoother than many FDev releases lol :p

Overinterpretation. I said if he is so afraid of bugs, he can take extra precautions. I am playing almost exclusively in VR and having a blast, but I started a new save with Beyond. Perhaps that is the secret sauce. For me this release is much smoother than many FDev releases lol :p

The thing that you (and mdsilva) refuse to acknowledge is that this patch introduced major issues. When an ED patch causes some weird bug that has you lose your corvette, support gives it back. When an NMS patch erases your base, support tells you to update your driver, and you shift the blame to the user.

I have no idea why you do that. It is, for the third time, cool you personally have no issues. But downplaying the issues countless others objectively have had, and giving HG a free pass while instead blaming consumers who are stuck with a broken product, is rather shameful.

Out of curiosity: why is it so hard for you to acknowledge thousands upon thousands of people factually encountered critical bugs, and why are you ok with HG basically saying 'suck it, start again'? It's weird.

Or, alternative, you can play other games that don't require you to manually backup your folder every 30 minutes while HG fixes the game. Both are fine choices, really.

Bit snarky there Ian :)

The large majority of posts here on its stability are positive, certainly no more than the usual bugs we encounter in the games that make up our favourite hobby.

I get what Starlight was trying to say/do with backing up the save folder.

Bit snarky there Ian :)

The large majority of posts here on its stability are positive, certainly no more than the usual bugs we encounter in the games that make up our favourite hobby.

That's because the number of reports here is about n=7, with a number of them complaining about the number of issues. I don't know how often I have to repeat this, but it's cool when individuals have no issues. Really. But Beyond had major, widespread, omni-platform issues. It's just disappointing to see this endless blue-shirt-green-shirt, white knight-hater oscillation. It doesn't really matter in this context, but it's symbolic of the tribal times we live in, and I tend to push back even when it manifest itself in such pointless forms. :p

I have no idea why you do that. It is, for the third time, cool you personally have no issues. But downplaying the issues countless others objectively have had, and giving HG a free pass while instead blaming consumers who are stuck with a broken product, is rather shameful.

Out of curiosity: why is it so hard for you to acknowledge thousands upon thousands of people factually encountered critical bugs, and why are you ok with HG basically saying 'suck it, start again'? It's weird.
Man you really are taking this to a crusade level, aren't you. Other people tell you they're playing without major problems. We're also offering viable solutions which are easy to implement and allow one to play the game unhindered while having a cozy cushion of a backup.

I'm not giving HG "a free pass", I'm simply refraining from mud-slinging due to some bugs on release of big content update, while all you do is run around screaming "doom" to the level that people are literally holding back on playing because of all this noise. Which, again, can be alleviated through a save folder backup. Which is residing on your drive and not on somebody's servers. That's why your analogy was flawed btw. - in case of Elite "property damage" you're pretty much on FD Support's mercy. Here, you can simply overwrite the file with a backup and you're done.

Are other people experiencing problems? For sure, there were 2 million players since Beyond's launch according to HG. It is literally impossible to test all the hardware/software configurations. Some of these players could for example be playing on experimental branch before release which was said can cause issues. The thing is HG is sitting there patching, and doing it quite fast. They have a zendesk collecting issues. It is commendable. I know AAA titles which are unpatched to this day, looking at you Battlefield V and singleplayer missions stutter and cutscenes being unwatchable...

What I am trying to say is, try not to spoil other people's enjoyment by projecting your fears. Also I read somewhere that they enabled the rebind - can't say if it was on experimental or master, because I'm on experimental testing VR performance improvements. But now you can try the horror for yourself. Just backup your save so you don't lose your base or there will be more complaining.

It's not "tribal behaviour" like you wrote, it's my dislike to the "being offended" culture which is prevalent nowadays.
I hate it, because nowadays people prefer to go on a rant and not to play, while they could just backup and at least try to play the game. And yes I am pushing back on that "snowflake culture".

Man you really are taking this to a crusade level, aren't you. Other people tell you they're playing without major problems. We're also offering viable solutions which are easy to implement and allow one to play the game unhindered while having a cozy cushion of a backup.

I'm not giving HG "a free pass", I'm simply refraining from mud-slinging due to some bugs on release of big content update, while all you do is run around screaming "doom" to the level that people are literally holding back on playing because of all this noise. Which, again, can be alleviated through a save folder backup. Which is residing on your drive and not on somebody's servers. That's why your analogy was flawed btw. - in case of Elite "property damage" you're pretty much on FD Support's mercy. Here, you can simply overwrite the file with a backup and you're done.

Are other people experiencing problems? For sure, there were 2 million players since Beyond's launch according to HG. It is literally impossible to test all the hardware/software configurations. Some of these players could for example be playing on experimental branch before release which was said can cause issues. The thing is HG is sitting there patching, and doing it quite fast. They have a zendesk collecting issues. It is commendable. I know AAA titles which are unpatched to this day, looking at you Battlefield V and singleplayer missions stutter and cutscenes being unwatchable...

What I am trying to say is, try not to spoil other people's enjoyment by projecting your fears. Also I read somewhere that they enabled the rebind - can't say if it was on experimental or master, because I'm on experimental testing VR performance improvements. But now you can try the horror for yourself. Just backup your save so you don't lose your base or there will be more complaining.

It's not "tribal behaviour" like you wrote, it's my dislike to the "being offended" culture which is prevalent nowadays.
I hate it, because nowadays people prefer to go on a rant and not to play, while they could just backup and at least try to play the game. And yes I am pushing back on that "snowflake culture".

Lol, 'snowflake culture.'

When people ask about the state of the game, I give a factual answer. Not an answer based on a single individual's experience, whether positive or negative, but based on communications from media, HG and countless gamers.

That is not 'being a snowflake', 'projecting fear' or any such white knighting nonsense. Your 'bUt ThEy CaNt TeSt AlL hArDwArE' nonsense is obviously false when you just read the many issues on consoles, acknowledged by HG thenselves and reported all over the internet.

And with that, I am out. People deserve to make an informed decision. The launch was extremely buggy, it has improved and will continue to improve. You can jump in now and you may or may not be lucky. You can wait a few weeks and join a more stable build. That is the simple truth, and that is what people should be told.

And if a simple, factual and honest statement about a computer game you happen to like is a 'snowflake culture rant of projected fears' than lol at you big time. Beyond was a buggy update and it's being fixed. Deal with it.

Regardless, have a great weekend and enjoy the game.

Sheeesh. Undoubtedly there are a few people experiencing problems, but the number of people enjoying it and having smooth experiences dramatically outnumbers them. It was a patch darn near the size of the base game install that effected almost every aspect of the game and was bound to have some wrinkles. Not sure about the tech involved, but I wonder if that when someone loses a base from the patch it simply isn't possible to restore it for them. Whatever the case, I'm just glad that HG doesn't listen to the uber angry complainers and throw up there hands and say screw it.

Yes, I think Starlight did indeed have a point about snowflake culture.

If you are that afraid, then you can simply back up your save often. It is located in %Appdata%\HelloGames. That way if something borks, you will have a backup. Easy peasy.

I decided to wait before playing the new release to allow for some fixes, but regrettably I've now lost five or six sessions of 15-30 minutes of game play.

I save as often as I can. My last total-freeze was approaching the first space station having spent a good long time in my ship mining asteroids, and so I lost close to 30 minutes play/progress. Not happy, and no amount of folder backups will prevent this.

The game has never been this buggy, and I have played it routinely since day #1. At the moment I'm leaving it be until a few more patches arrive. My concern is that none of the freezes seem to produce dump-files, and so I'm not sure HG will understand (and fix) the problems that I'm having.

I'm pleased for those for whom the game is working fine. I envy you.

Edit: I don't consider myself a snowflake, I'm just reporting my experience. ymmv.

So, man... I don't know what's up in this thread. Since Beyond launched, I've had a HMD stuck to my face, it's been great fun. Typically 3~4 hours per sitting, numerous sittings per week.

Sorry that that hasn't been everyone's experience, but not sorry enough that it'll affect my enjoyment at all :)

One thing I'm genuinely surprised by is the well written story so far. Parts of it are quite chilling and I'm eager to get from point to point. Loving the vibe.

Agreed, it has a 'feel' to it

And with the story being largely text driven, it harks back to older gaming days that hits a bit of a nostalgia nerve for me :)

Top Bottom