Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I never had problems with them spawning in my base.
that being said, I don't build on aggressive sentinel planets and my bases aren't that big when comes to area so that's probably decreasing the chance quite a bit.

But as for "jumping" - yeah, sentinels keep the height over the terrain constant, so base wall will stop them (Or you can always put a roof over it. :LOL:)

I never had problems with them spawning in my base.
that being said, I don't build on aggressive sentinel planets and my bases aren't that big when comes to area so that's probably decreasing the chance quite a bit.

But as for "jumping" - yeah, sentinels keep the height over the terrain constant, so base wall will stop them (Or you can always put a roof over it. :LOL:)
It does give me ideas, though. Again, with the quads being my biggest pain, a large exterior enclosure with a roof would work quite nicely. Now if I can just figure out how to flatten land reliably, I can transform this little island into my evil genius base of operations. Boring Friday at the office, time for research.

I feel sorry for the sister planet in this system--it's a barren planet, and when I'm done stripping all the ferrite off it, it'll be deserving of that barren description.

It does give me ideas, though. Again, with the quads being my biggest pain, a large exterior enclosure with a roof would work quite nicely. Now if I can just figure out how to flatten land reliably, I can transform this little island into my evil genius base of operations. Boring Friday at the office, time for research.

I feel sorry for the sister planet in this system--it's a barren planet, and when I'm done stripping all the ferrite off it, it'll be deserving of that barren description.
Umm..if you're going for the "evil genius base" feel - you can build your base underground and avoid attention altogether. ;)

Not sure if I trust NMS to not fill said underground base with terrain afterward. Seems fond of doing that this time around. Currently have to "sweep" two of my current bases from time to time when the terrain decides to show back up. Free silica, I guess.

On my list of things to do... create a lair inside a mountain with a fly-in opening for landing. :D
I guess you'd need a mod for that? The ship generally doesn't like flying under things, even if there's enough space.
But yeah, that would be awesome. A base like in fist Kingsmen film. :)

I guess you'd need a mod for that? The ship generally doesn't like flying under things, even if there's enough space.
But yeah, that would be awesome. A base like in fist Kingsmen film. :)
Exactly. Actually, you can fly under things more now than before, probably not in all instances, but I've flown under rock formations.

You can fly in caves!!! Proof is in the picture. Now I'm just scared I can't get out again! LOL!

edit

Gosh! I did get out. it ended in an opening. This was one of the most exciting 30 seconds in NMS for me! 😁

So I managed to find a very small little rock to land on. The blood planet is a blood ocean. Seriously. Freaky as heck. And sentinels are constantly in bad mood, guarding my little rock. Put a base unit there and starting to build on my "Yesos Blood Island" as I named it.

Also, it's a non-populated system. Completely empty of any aliens or buildings. And it's a monochromatic planet as well.

At last I found a Squid! My fleet is complete. Bucket list ticked. :)
Really like the colour of this one - mauve/lilac. I'm hoping it's unique.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/nw27Wy9

If anyone wants coords to any of the worlds I found these exotics (see last pic), I made bases at the worlds so just PM me.

I don't want an exact location. Where's the fun in that. But just to confirm - these exotics can only be found as wrecks to repair, right? I don't normally meet them at the station and buy them from their owners.

I don't want an exact location. Where's the fun in that. But just to confirm - these exotics can only be found as wrecks to repair, right? I don't normally meet them at the station and buy them from their owners.
I only bought them, never found a wreck.

The one I have now appeared in my starter system one day, on the space station. I was lucky I had enough to buy it.

(Btw, it looks black in the picture above because of the monochromatic planet, but it's actually yellow. My "Yellow Bird". Could've called it "Canary" too. Maybe I'll change it.)

I only bought them, never found a wreck.

The one I have now appeared in my starter system one day, on the space station. I was lucky I had enough to buy it.
Ah, interesting. I've never met one in space. Or at a trading post. So I assumed NPCs don't use them. Well, I guess I'm just unlucky and will have to wait. Just like it took me over a week to find a capital ship interesting enough (visually) to be worth buying. :)

Ah, interesting. I've never met one in space. Or at a trading post. So I assumed NPCs don't use them. Well, I guess I'm just unlucky and will have to wait. Just like it took me over a week to find a capital ship interesting enough (visually) to be worth buying. :)
I'm not sure, but I think the exotic ships only occur in wealthy systems.

In previous save, I built a base and had my own landing platform, and lo-and-behold, one day an exotic bird landed on my platform. I had to rush there to buy it before he took off again.

I found mine at trading posts. I haven't seen an exotic wreck/derelict, but that would be very cool. As it was a goal of mine to find a squid, I took steps to work out a decent strategy, ie. I googled. :)
Actually I'll follow up with a quick and nasty strategy guide.

Merkir's Exotic finding guide: (collection/summary of others' advice)
1. Make sure your ship has an Economy Scanner.
2. Travel to Wealthy systems only. On the galaxy map these have 3 stars next to the economy with descriptors like "Opulent", "Flourishing", "High Supply", etc. Wealthy systems have a 2% spawn rate for exotics. Lesser systems have 1% or 0%.
3. Use the "Find Trading Post" function from the bottom menu (only available with Economy Scanner installed).
4. Travel to the Trading Post and keep watching all the NPC ships until you spot an Exotic. My understanding is that there is only ONE type of exotic created for each system. Once you see it, that's the one that will keep spawning. So if it's not an exotic ship you want, travel to the next Wealthy system. I rejected about 8 exotics before a Squid finally appeared.
5. (Gamey) To save time, you can repeatedly reload from last save while at the trading post. This spawns 5-7(ish) new ships on each load, a little faster than waiting for new ones to turn up naturally.
Enjoy!

I was doing this while jumping towards the Centre, choosing only wealthy systems. I'm just 150 kLy away now. :)

Last edited:
Merkir's Exotic finding guide: (collection/summary of others' advice)
1. Make sure your ship has an Economy Scanner.
2. Travel to Wealthy systems only. On the galaxy map these have 3 stars next to the economy with descriptors like "Opulent", "Flourishing", "High Supply", etc. Wealthy systems have a 2% spawn rate for exotics. Lesser systems have 1% or 0%.
3. Use the "Find Trading Post" function from the bottom menu (only available with Economy Scanner installed).
4. Travel to the Trading Post and keep watching all the NPC ships until you spot an Exotic. My understanding is that there is only ONE type of exotic created for each system. Once you see it, that's the one that will keep spawning. So if it's not an exotic ship you want, travel to the next Wealthy system. I rejected about 8 exotics before a Squid finally appeared.
5. (Gamey) To save time, you can repeatedly reload from last save while at the trading post. This spawns 5-7(ish) new ships on each load, a little faster than waiting for new ones to turn up naturally.
Enjoy!

I was doing this while jumping towards the Centre, choosing only wealthy systems. I'm just 150 kLy away now. :)
Also, use your visor to check what config the ship has. Go for the highest slots, 18+7 I think it is.

Top Bottom