Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

As an aside, how best to broach getting a separate and brand new PC just for NMS with Mrs PiLhEaD, given the level of crashes (currently around every 15-20 minutes of gameplay... I'm at the point of giving up!). Suggestions please.

Every situation is different, but when I want to upgrade, and I get the response of "But you've already got 'X' - what's wrong with it?!" it's because She Who Must Be Obeyed secretly covets the very thing I want to upgrade.

So I offer it to her for her exclusive use... possibly for a nominal sum so that she doesn't feel like a charity case, or that she "owes" you... and then offset it. :D

I've done this for Kindles, laptops, tablets, Alexas, you name it...

crashes (currently around every 15-20 minutes of gameplay...
I missed this in the whole ask the missus joke.

This level of crashing isn't normal. If you're playing on a laptop, consider opening it up and cleaning the hot air exhaust. I had a case where friend's laptop was behaving like that and the cause was a 2cm thick dust clot totally blocking the hot air exhaust.

How old is your Windows install? If it's old, consider reinstalling. If it isn't, well, it might be your hardware failing. No real way to tell, maybe NMS stresses it above the point of failure.

You can check for proper cooling by running something like prime 95 and seeing where your temps get to using HWINFO. CPUs & GPUS should get to around 80 c max under load as a rule, and should never exceed 90c for long (rule of thumb - you can look up your specific values online if you need to). Thing is - overheating used to cause the machine to shut-down to protect itself. Nowadays most PC hardware has a thermistor embedded in it and an overwatching firmware which clocks it down it things get too toasty. Therefore when you run out of cooling you don't get runaway temperatures any more.

If it only ever crashes in NMS and this isn't the only game you play then it is probably more likely something to do with NMS than the PC itself. I would start by reinstalling it.

One thing to watch out for. Many steam players downloaded the Beta version (beta code 3xperimental) in order to try the Vulkan API. If you didn't clear that when the latest version dropped (which now supports it natively) you may still be using a Beta version of the game - which aren't guaranteed to be stable.

I missed this in the whole ask the missus joke.

This level of crashing isn't normal. If you're playing on a laptop, consider opening it up and cleaning the hot air exhaust. I had a case where friend's laptop was behaving like that and the cause was a 2cm thick dust clot totally blocking the hot air exhaust.

How old is your Windows install? If it's old, consider reinstalling. If it isn't, well, it might be your hardware failing. No real way to tell, maybe NMS stresses it above the point of failure.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The manifestation of the crashing is that the game sounds to still be running, and the noises match my inputs, and if I can land and get out of the ship there is a save point to return to, but the video is frozen and disconnected from the 'still running' game.

Sometimes I can play for a while without issue, and other times it'll crash very quickly and keep crashing. Tbh I needed to either reload the game (today's job) or get a new graphics card. If all else fails it's time to reinstall windows.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The manifestation of the crashing is that the game sounds to still be running, and the noises match my inputs, and if I can land and get out of the ship there is a save point to return to, but the video is frozen and disconnected from the 'still running' game.

Sometimes I can play for a while without issue, and other times it'll crash very quickly and keep crashing. Tbh I needed to either reload the game (today's job) or get a new graphics card. If all else fails it's time to reinstall windows.

I have seen many threadds about video freezing, some of them quite old, have a look, they may help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/8vy5ln Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/8vy5ln/random_freezing_leading_to_force_close/

get a new graphics card. If all else fails it's time to reinstall windows.
I think you have your priorities a bit off here, especially with windows 10 whose reinstall isn't as painful. I would most definitely try reinstalling windows BEFORE getting a new graphics card :D [unless the card is poo and below minspec]

I think you have your priorities a bit off here, especially with windows 10 whose reinstall isn't as painful. I would most definitely try reinstalling windows BEFORE getting a new graphics card :D[unless the card is poo and below minspec]

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuush StarLightPL...... Don't let Mrs PiLhEaD hear you.......................... .........jeeez!!!!!

😇

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuush StarLightPL...... Don't let Mrs PiLhEaD hear you.......................... .........jeeez!!!!!
😇
Oh you're right, I got it all wrong, wasn't feeling particularly well when I wrote that... It is clear that you need to change your Motherboard, because it's the Mother of all issues. Preferably for z390 chipset, as it tends to produce the smallest amount of crashes per hour. Also judging from your sheer amount of crashes, you also require new RAM, 16GB to ensure smooth operation so the crashes overflow less as there is more capacity. A new CPU of at least 9th generation Core processors is also required to be able to handle of all Mrs. PiLhEaD tasks fast. A beefy graphics card for Planet Zoo to run smoothly.

/sssssssssssssh... I'm kidding, I'm kidding

I've been 'here' before, so am inclined to be very cautious, but....... NMS seems to be running with no crashes for me at the moment.

The change I made was in GoG to disable their in-game overlay. I did this after I found a post from 2018 from someone saying that they had to disable their Discord overlay to prevent the game hanging.

I've since run the game for many hours across two play sessions, left it running whilst cooking, overall more than long enough to experience at least one crash 'normally', and (so far) no more crashes. Not one!

Thinking back, as best I can recall this recent 'bad spell' seemed to coincide with the GoG client being updated - so I wonder if this has been my problem all along. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No one tell Mrs PiLhEaD.... I'm looking at you StarLightPL...

EDIT - AAAAAAAAND (two days later) the game's just crashed in exactly the same way................................................................ <imagine my language being an instant ban>

Last edited:
I finally picked up a proper exploration ship. It has a nice clear cockpit view and two S-class enhancements gives it a really good jump range.

TVUGTbQ.png

And here's almost the first planet I found with it....
Wp0BNuh.png

I've found hell. And I love it! By day it's super-heated and by night super-frozen. Yet firestorms can come at night. The planet is benign for around 20 seconds at dawn and at dusk, assuming a storm isn't blowing through. Even with S-rated protection you dare not stay out for long. It's like being in a pub's Sunday Darts-League side and deciding to take on the All Blacks at rugby. The pain flows in one direction and it never stops. And I flipping love it!

And I have a question - if you could choose three four changes to the game, what would they be? (Imagine HG are reading!)

1. A consolidated view of all stock, across all ships, containers, etc, with an option to consolidate all stocks into a single slot (e.g. gold held across multiple ships/storage containers all gets put in ONE place) - this view/activity only available on your freighter.

2. A search function for materials/resources that shows planets that you have visited that contain them. (or an API that allows fans to build such a tool)

3. A proper compass HUD with not just North and South, but one that 360-degree bearings.

4. A mechanism to leave feedback when visiting another's base - be it text or simply a star-rating out of ten.

rdeOWz8.png

Last edited:
QUESTIONS

NMS is on sale right now, so I'm considering getting it on PC. It's still a bit on the high side ($30) for the amount of enjoyment I got from it on PS4, but perhaps the PC version is so much better that it's worth it. With this in mind, please answer the following:
  • How much better are PC graphics compared to PS4 graphics? I know it will be cartoonish, but what about draw distance, texture detail, pop-in (which is really bad on PS4 lately), and framerate?
  • What's the community like on PC - are there lots of players? One of the things I'm enjoying about ED on PC is the increased number of CMDRs I run into on a daily basis.
  • I hear that NMS can be modded. Is this still the case today? If so, how is it done? Give me some examples of "must have" mods, if there are any.
  • How is the game's stability (cough bugs cough) on PC these days?
  • Can I fly with a HOTAS or joystick? Are these things configurable? How about my DS4 controller?
  • How customizable are the PC graphics settings?

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know :D

QUESTIONS
  • How much better are PC graphics compared to PS4 graphics?...
I've never tried it on PS4, but I'd say that draw distance and pop-in are still an issue on PC - you can adjust settings to help, but it's quite normal to have a tree suddenly rise up in front of you when flying low over the ground. I hear that 2.13 includes a raft of performance improvements, so this may allow yet more draw-distance in the settings. Others with more powerful GFX cards may have less of an issue - I have a 2Gb GTX 770.
  • What's the community like on PC - are there lots of players?...
I play on GoG and when visiting the <orb thing> there are always at least a few around - I can't say I've found them overly chatty, but then neither am I - but I've still had a few nice conversations with other 'anomalies' ;) - there's also some inter-player bartering/gifting that goes on
  • I hear that NMS can be modded. Is this still the case today?...
Yes. I play with the reduced launch-fuel mod, which helps early days. It's very easy to mod. Unpack the files, put them in the GoG/Steam game directory and rename/delete the file called "DisableMods.txt ". There are plenty of mods out there, however each release can cause issues. On PC there is also a save-game editor, which can help avoid having to spend too much time collecting raw materials ( I find this disrupts my flow when mid-way through building a base).
  • How is the game's stability (cough bugs cough) on PC these days?
I had a bad period a month or two back, but recently it seems much improved - make sure you disable any overlays (e.g. Discord, GoG overlay). I seem to be the odd one out around here, and most seem to have no problems. 2.13 comes with a raft of crash-fixes.
  • Can I fly with a HOTAS or joystick? Are these things configurable? How about my DS4 controller?
Never tried it. I stick to an x-box gamepad, it's not really a flight sim and it makes swapping between Kb+Mouse much easier. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS for ED and have never considered using it for NMS.
  • How customizable are the PC graphics settings?
There seems plenty to adjust - I'll grab a screen shot and post it here later.

Hope this helps.

EDIT -
Un3YqoU.png

EFLBu6Z.png

I've since moved planet quality up to ultra with little impact on performance and a decent improvement to draw distances etc - so it's worth trying.

Last edited:
QUESTIONS

I concur with what PiLhEaD said, I've get pop up with a 6gb GTX1060 (just noticed the edit and I'l try ultra).

I don't get many crashes (although had one today, 1st for ages)

I don't use my Hotas.....360 gamepad and kb+M, I'm getting some weirdness where the game overrides the menus with pad control, not all the time though. quite frustrating as I only use the pad for the ship, I hate the pad in the menu!

I play solo in NMS, the nexus is how I like it, a ghost town! :)

I've used mods in the past, but currently vanilla as I keep on forgetting to download them.

Wish me luck....I'm 32,000 LY frm the centre with my Survival mode game, hopefully I'll pick up the 1st of the last 3 achievements I need. Although dpes anyone know what happens if you're closer to the centre than a black hole jump (I'm getting 6-7000 ly jumps from a black hole and I think I'll get to 4000ly from the centre. My ship can do 300ly jumps on it's own but I'd rather a final black hole to get me closer than 4000ly).

well colour me peeved, I'm still 12kly from the centre and so far TWO black holes have done nothing...just flew through them and out the other side in the same system. That means I have another 40 or so jumps.....oh well sup sup time for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom