Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

What did HG do to "break" the game for you? All I see is massive improvement.
Didn't say it was broken, just that I enjoyed it more back then.

There was much less going on in the game at release. I bought it for the lone explorer type theme it originally had.
I also think they could have spent some of the time making exploring much better ingame, rather than some of the other things.
But it's still o.k. I still enjoy it.

Didn't say it was broken, just that I enjoyed it more back then...

I have had NMS from day #1 and until this last release I hadn't really connected with it, although I suspect that this was in part due to my space exploration itch being more than ably satisfied by Elite. However, with Beyond, I've become fully engaged and have already played 200+ hours and not yet completed the story-line, whilst co-incidentaly I've got ever more bored with ED.

The aspect to NMS I have always loved is the art style - very much of the old sci-fi book covers, and I love taking screen shots that could easily be put on a book. The base building has also provided quite a lot of enjoyment (and frustration) for me - probably more (of both) than I was expecting. Similarly the GOG community area of space is fun to inhabit, with loads of amazing bases to explore.

I agree that the exploration gets rather samey, and oddly is perhaps (after a while) one of the weaker aspects to the game. It would be nice if, the closer you get to the core, the ever increasingly extreme/weird/varied biomes/flora/fauna are there to be found.

I remember (way back) Sean saying that NMS was supposed to be a game to chill and relax to, sit back and enjoy the ride, and in this regard they've done a great job. I also think they've (now) got the grind/progression balance about spot-on. They've also shown 'other games' how to weave a compelling narrative into an open-galaxy sandbox, and most other games how to grow and enhance your game in a timely and responsive manner - many studios could learn from them.

In summary, I was pretty happy with my purchase on day #1, and I'm incredibly happy with it now. Well done HG.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a reliable fix for the "recruit potential scientist" mission not spawning an NPC marker for a Korvax ?.

I've tried tearing down and rebuilding the science station, making sure its in a room and all the different missions in the log. The stations marked but the icon just stays at the station entrance.

Edit : having binned it as knackered I wandered off to do my own thing and met him in a random system a few jumps away from the mission marker.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a reliable fix for the "recruit potential scientist" mission not spawning an NPC marker for a Korvax ?.

I've tried tearing down and rebuilding the science station, making sure its in a room and all the different missions in the log. The stations marked but the icon just stays at the station entrance.

Edit : having binned it as knackered I wandered off to do my own thing and met him in a random system a few jumps away from the mission marker.

Yeah - often the best way to solve a broken mission is to completely ignore it, and go and do something else instead.

On the plus side - the game does (eventually) self-correct. Often the menu will give you opportunity to reset the mission if you are 'too far away' - it's a sensible mechanic.

As an aside.... what I find slightly galling is knowing the reaction from the fan-base of the other games if presented with this as being in-game:

PozhTBr.png

And yet, here it is. All ready to play.

I really don't think NMS/HG gets anywhere near enough credit.

Last edited:
I too came to the game initially, as I've said In the thread here many times, because of the art style.

It took me back to my youth in the mid 60's, sci-fi mags/books and also sat in the Rialto cinema, Saturday Matinee watching the many sci-fi series from years past, even by the 60's some of these serials were from years past, such as Buck Rogers (Buster Crabbe version) etc.
They put these on for us kids on a Saturday afternoon, probably cheap to buy at that time and show, most all were b/w. Those serials and films plus the vivid sci-fi mags you could get back then, which put colour and more art to those b/w serials, these were what I loved. They gave my imagination a very vivid picture of these far away sci-fi worlds, some films from the 50's did the same.

Didn't think I would really see them in a video game, until NMS came around and there they were, well almost. Just how, as a kid, I had imagined them. That is why I was in at day one really. Couldn't wait for it to come out and it didn't disappoint at all. It was what SM said it would be.

Things added later are great for others, which is good, but I haven't seen my freighter, base or other ships for well over a year now, don't need too, the game is about solo exploration going from place to place just you and your ship, simply getting lost in the game. For me anyway.

For most watching, these vids are just another NMS clip.
For me playing however, it's 'Total Wonderment'. I'm a kid again, sat in the rialto.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqA3t57Xsw

I haven't played this in Months, probably years. Now today I play it for the first time and it's really improved into a nice, mature game.

To be honest. If you want "Space Legs" and and atmospheric landings, then you really should check this out. Although I have to say the spaceship flying part of this game isn't anything like as good as Elite. They're really not similar games at all - ED is all about the Journeys, whereas NMS is all about what happens when you get there.

I really don't think NMS/HG gets anywhere near enough credit.

Amen to that.

What the launch proved for me wasn't that Sean Murray lied (he didn't - everything he said you'd be able to do you can do, and more), it was just how spoiled brat-ish the gaming community really is. :rolleyes: Sean Murray is a bona-fide genius, we are lucky to have him in the game development world, and he's also a lovely guy who really doesn't deserve all the hate from people who don't understand that game development is a process.

I really liked the game at release - and it's even better now. I just turn the multiplayer off.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
What the launch proved for me wasn't that Sean Murray lied (he didn't...

Not sure I understand these repeated attempts to rewrite history. Sean Murray definitely lied about what the game would be at release and his numerous lies are on record for everyone to see. He had the choice, as head of the project, to correct himself and avoid those lies prior to release; but he opted to not do it. He preferred to remain silent and enjoy the full weight of the pre-sales and release hype windfall without a single clarification or excuse even for over a month after release when players had confirmed some of those lies within days.

It has been a while and the game has evolved a lot since then for the better though and SM deserves a big kuddos for sticking with it, that is for sure. Imo NMS is definitely worth of being in any space sim fan library. I have indeed enjoyed it. But a big chunk of the funds he has been able to do it with have come from those release lies. There is no need to re-write that release time history, just acknowledge it and move on man.

Last edited:
I don't think he said all features would be there on initial release. To be honest, it's probably the cash injection from the initial release that has allowed the game to be developed into it's current state - which is that most of the stuff is in there.

The alternative way of doing it.... Star Citizen's way...

Not sure I understand these repeated attempts to rewrite history. Sean Murray definitely lied about what the game would be at release and his numerous lies are on record for everyone to see. He had the choice, as head of the project, to correct himself and avoid those lies prior to release; but he opted to not do it. He preferred to remain silent and enjoy the full weight of the pre-sales and release hype windfall without a single clarification or excuse even for over a month after release when players had confirmed some of those lies within days.

Well, no - it seems it's you re-writing history there I'm afraid. They were not lies - they were plans, and he was excited to talk about them. Others took from them what they would. He's a games developer & designer - he's not a corporate PR man told to hedge his bets. He talked big about what NMS was going to be, and guess what, it is. Not at release... but he never said everything would be in the game from the start.

This post explains it better than I can.

It has been a while and the game has evolved a lot since then for the better though and SM deserves a big kuddos for sticking with it, that is for sure. Imo NMS is definitely worth of being in any space sim fan library. I have indeed enjoyed it. But a big chunk of the funds he has been able to do it with have come from those release lies. There is no need to re-write that release time history, just acknowledge it and move on man.

Sorry, I just don't see it that way. People who bought it at release (like me) bought into the overall vision of the game... which has arguably now been realised in just 3 years. Can you say the same for other games (Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous...)?

Ironically, gamers need to grow the hell up.

I disliked NMS on release. It's much better now. Sean Murray seems like a decent bloke and I'm glad he followed through with improving the game despite the release salt.

Sean Murray definitely lied about what the game would be at release and his numerous lies are on record for everyone to see.

But a big chunk of the funds he has been able to do it with have come from those release lies. There is no need to re-write that release time history, just acknowledge it and move on man.

Yeah, that blatant liar, he also lied about offline mode, space legs and atmospheric landings, as well as stealing other people's ships and big game hunting and whatnot... He fully enjoyed the Kickstarter hype and pre-order sales, and his elaborate ruse with the Design Decision Forum was a con masterpiece. Now we're five years into the game and nothing materialised from these lies.

Oh wait, you were talking about Sean Murray? For a moment there I was sure it was about Braben... These lies are distinguished only with Braben not specifying when the promised lies will be delivered. Same with LEP.

Seriously though, I didn't get involved in the NMS release drama, but I watched the videos after. He certainly couldn't say no to anything he was asked, I wonder if he was somehow afraid to deny things because of publishing deal with Sony or whatever. He should've drawn a line in a few places to be sure, and face the nerd rage and diminished sales which could be the end of his studio... But what I saw there was a man that was afraid to say anything negative. And that's objectively speaking, because I wasn't interested in the game back then, bought it much later on a 50% discount iirc.

Was Sean's behaviour ethical? No, it was a lie. But the reasons behind that lie are different, and they did deliver all of these "lies" (!) and Beyond! And now there's synthesis update, still FREE in which they again make game even better (and no whinging about it like FDEV did on many livestreams).

So to recap: both lied, Sean ultimately overdelivered, your move Braben.

Last edited:
Seriously though, I didn't get involved in the NMS release drama, but I watched the videos after. He certainly couldn't say no to anything he was asked, I wonder if he was somehow afraid to deny things because of publishing deal with Sony or whatever. He should've drawn a line in a few places to be sure, and face the nerd rage and diminished sales which could be the end of his studio... But what I saw there was a man that was afraid to say anything negative. And that's objectively speaking, because I wasn't interested in the game back then, bought it much later on a 50% discount iirc.

I think he's just a geek, who gets excited by ideas when people ask him about them. He doesn't know when to reign it in, because that's not what geeks do. That's what corporate people do, and he's not one of them. This is where Sony should have stepped in - but they didn't, because everyone wanted to talk to Sean to see the light in his eyes & watch him get over-excited about his creation.

All this was admitted afterwards by Sean and he was very sorry for apparently "misleading" people. I think he's made up for it since, no matter which way you cut the cake.

This doesn't even come close to the entirely deliberate stunts a certain company pulled in their Kickstarter to persuade people to part with hundreds of £££... 🤷‍♀️

Of course we all have confirmation bias, but my experience of the release was that we (well, I) got exactly the game that I had been led to believe to expect, so the furore over multiplayer caught me completely by surprise. To put the 'outrage' in to context, I do recall several people on this thread (no longer present today) being very vocal about 'the issue', with at least one finally admitting that they had not even purchased the game.

As others have noted, other games have been over imagined by their creators, and out of the three space games we all like to chew over here, HG has knocked the ball so far out of the park that any comparisons are (or certainly should be) hugely embarrassing for both companies. I'm not suggesting that the others escape criticism, however I am often shaking my head in the other mega-thread in this section when 'excited' discussions happen about some 'new and never done before' feature that already exists in NMS. It's the same with the Elite community being eager for fleet carriers, caves, space legs, rich flora and fauna, base building, more exo-craft, PvP or PvE in the same space, an interesting core narrative set in a sand-box, water worlds.... ...the list pretty much writes itself so I'll stop there... all stuff already available in NMS.

So, I am staggered that NMS isn't quoted as the reference point for all space games - with the only (I admit large) caveat being the flight model, which is slanted towards the game-play that HG want to deliver. In all other regards it's a quite amazing feat, with now eight completely free and often very significant updates - "your move Braben" and Roberts.

As for SC - I think this is proving to be the perfect object lesson for why constraint-free IT projects, and IT projects beyond a certain size, are almost guaranteed to fail. I suspect the SC/NMS/ED topic is rich pickings for perhaps an MBA or other dissertation.

(Sorry... that ended up as a bit of an essay...)

Last edited:
So, I am staggered that NMS isn't quoted as the reference point for all space games - with the only (I admit large) caveat being the flight model, which is slanted towards the game-play that HG want to deliver. In all other regards it's a quite amazing feat, with now eight completely free and often very significant updates - "your move Braben" and Roberts.

I'm not - because it's not really a space game. Not like the 'other two'.

If the next big update (or NMS 2, or whatever) revamps the galaxy map and adds another flight model, that might change. As you imply, it may not be something that HG want to do... what they have delivers what they intended. Both are much the same now as they were at release. But it's the one thing that E: D has that cements its place.

However, FD should be really worried. Because no matter what happens with the 'new era' - they are so far behind NMS in every other area, it's already a lost battle if that title of "reference space game" is something they want to keep in the future IMO.

.... revamps the galaxy map and adds another flight model...

No argumention from me regarding the galaxy map.... and navigating and bookmarking in general... they really do suck in NMS.

The flight model has improved (very slightly) through the releases, but isn't a patch on ED's, but I'd say the ship flying is almost incidental in NMS, little more than a vehicle (grotty pun intended) to get the player from a to b, so, in that, I agree that they are quite different games. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if HG took any number of steps towards ED's flight model, but I suspect that this is unlikely.

Whilst we're on the subject, I'd also really like the planets to spin in orbit around their star.

No argumention from me regarding the galaxy map.... and navigating and bookmarking in general... they really do suck in NMS.

The flight model has improved (very slightly) through the releases, but isn't a patch on ED's, but I'd say the ship flying is almost incidental in NMS, little more than a vehicle (grotty pun intended) to get the player from a to b, so, in that, I agree that they are quite different games. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if HG took any number of steps towards ED's flight model, but I suspect that this is unlikely.

Whilst we're on the subject, I'd also really like the planets to spin in orbit around their star.

The call for more "realism" in NMS is an old one, but unlike E: D, NMS has never tried to be "realistic". It's very pointedly and deliberately a 1950s pulp scifi epic, and makes no apologies for that. Nor should it.

My point though is that they have cracked everything else. NMS planets leave E: D completely for dust. Base building is mature & works really well, so if that forms part of "new era" they have their work cut out for them. There's a loose open-world story narrative, which E: D lacks. NMS has NPCs that you can interact with - not so in E: D. There are a thousand ways in which NMS is arguably "better" than E: D, but the true fact of the matter is that irrespective of all of this - it's not a "space" game. Very little action actually takes place in space. In NMS, space is just the bit between where the action happens.

If HG ever decided to make a conscious effort to change that (and they could, quite easily, without breaking the game as it stands IMO) then E: D would be in serious trouble IMO. I don't count Star Citizen, because that's still not a game & probably never will be.

2020 should be an interesting year for both games. Based on past performance, my ARX is on NMS, but let's see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom