Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Have a good look in the options. You can play multiplayer in NMS but turn off any PvP aspects - so meet other explorers without them being able to attack/damage you. You have similar control over any bases that you build/publish. As I said above, it makes FDev's binary solution look poor along with their inability/unwillingness to learn from HG/NMS.

I don't agree, this has not been my experience, and no matter how 'buggered' you consider it, NMS at least has narratives to follow - if you want to.

I'm not saying that there aren't irritations in the game, but they don't bug me nearly as much as they seem to do you.
NMS is a great title. Not sure why people need to talk down about it....maybe some sort of tribalistic thing, trying to defend ED from it or something?

Have a good look in the options. You can play multiplayer in NMS but turn off any PvP aspects - so meet other explorers without them being able to attack/damage you. You have similar control over any bases that you build/publish. As I said above, it makes FDev's binary solution look poor along with their inability/unwillingness to learn from HG/NMS.

The modes are all things to all players, which is the idea behind it. It only becomes an "issue" for the people playing open shocked about PVP happening or the people who want everyone forced into their choice of mode/style of play. As long as you make the choice that suits your playstyle everything's fine, trying to inflict your choices on others is where it doesn't work. Which honestly I think is a good thing.

I don't agree, this has not been my experience, and no matter how 'buggered' you consider it, NMS at least has narratives to follow - if you want to.

Build shed mission, build new shed next to existing shed you already made (because playing in sandbox) to complete mission but its not recognised, demolish both sheds and start again now recognised. Great that very thorough I only got half the stuff back though so I need to shoot the rocks some more.

Go raid nanites from nearby building you already raided, the game can't recognise it until you return to the building and step over the threshold then you get an instant mission complete but get to walk there and back twice only the second time is empty handed.

Race somewhere in your locked 3rd person playmobile car to complete the mission which is vital and has a dramatic timer, or just use your spaceship instead and take 3 seconds to beat the five minute countdown without having to drive in a straight line through the foliage as that's faster than going around.

Move your base now you've been playing long enough to know what you want nearby, mission targets remain on the old planet so the repetitive slog is now long distance repetitive slog.

Its not really that much of a narrative, kids TV characters hop about and make sounds and you play chase the icon and don't deviate or do your own thing or it breaks. No choices to make at all in the story beyond the obvious one chucked in as a tearjerker.

I'm not saying that there aren't irritations in the game, but they don't bug me nearly as much as they seem to do you.

I like to do my own thing which works in ED in NMS not so much. I just googled the base data mission to find out how I can finish it off because its very repetitive and I'm not gripped by the one sentence at a time story to find out its permanent and I'll keep getting those notifications to return (which I can't turn off).

It doesn't help that I like finding new planets having an explore plonking down the signal booster and going to the distress signals to find the signals with crashed ships don't have crashed ships even when the black box refers to the crashed ship still being there (I'm not on about the ones where the sentinels removed it). I googled that and apparently they get stuck parked way up in the air fairly commonly at an angle too steep to see due to clunky FPS mechanics.

The overall feel is very simplistic far too easy to become an overnight indium mogul and as a noob I shouldn't really be blasting sentinel walkers to pieces so easily or defeating pirate squadron nexus missions solo or nexus biological horror hunts where you just stand shooting from the roof and they can't get you. Its like they forgot we've got jetpacks.

Handing you a free freighter very early in the game seems jarring since you are grubbing about with your noob stuff planetside yet you've got your own fleet. The freighter mechanics themselves are so extremely simplistic and repetitive I'm not bothering going anymore since my mine pays much better and requires less faffing about with the text only missions.

Its just too easy and the only challenge I've found is stopping myself doing what I want so I don't break the completely linear story missions by being the wrong side of the galaxy due to wandering off into the sandbox or having equipped myself with something the game doesn't expect me to have yet and can't seem to cope with me having already.

6/10 being generous because SPACE !. I'll probably bin it soon, with no regrets its a nice little game worth the reduced price.

That's funny. If I had to write a review for ED all over again, this is almost verbatim how I would word it:)

How many thousands of hours did it take you to decide you don't like ED and have you considered that maybe you just burned out having done all that. I've had NMS less than two weeks, I feel like I've utterly trounced it already.

Its like comparing airfix with Nasa.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
NMS is a great title. Not sure why people need to talk down about it....maybe some sort of tribalistic thing, trying to defend ED from it or something?
Hmm...
That's funny. If I had to write a review for ED all over again, this is almost verbatim how I would word it:)

Oh? Let’s see...

“ED is a great title. Not sure why people need to talk down about it....maybe some sort of tribalistic thing, trying to defend NMS from it or something?”

Hey! It works too! :)

PS: For the record both are great games.

Last edited:
How many thousands of hours did it take you to decide you don't like ED and have you considered that maybe you just burned out having done all that. I've had NMS less than two weeks, I feel like I've utterly trounced it already.

Its like comparing airfix with Nasa.
Nah man, don't mind me. It's just that you're such a legendary Artifact level ED fanboy that I couldn't resist ribbing you for g on NMS. I have nowhere near as much time spent in NMS of course, but that's almost purely down to the PvP multiplayer aspect of ED. If it weren't for that, or I was simply judging the game based on PvE I'd say that NMS had more and more interesting content than ED, but preference would ultimately come down to taste.

The PG stuff just isn't there at all really six different planet types

Nope, dozens. They're on the LHS of this figure:
In fact that figure doesn't include Exotics, so probably dozens more, many of which I've never seen after 90 hrs of play, like "Hydro Garden" and "Wire Cell".
And then there are the "Mega Exotics" which aren't listed above but give dozens more variations.

As to the rest, I disagree with at least half of what you said, some factually wrong, others just opinion. For the record, I'd give NMS a 3/10 at launch, about 8.5/10 now. ED I'd give 9/10. And in no way can I compare NMS to ED. They're two entirely different things.

I love to explore, NMS is great for that.

Very few space games give you planets as good as those found in NMS. Sure they're sci-fi, but NMS is pure sci-fi, it doesn't pretend to be anything else.
With a few thousand planets under my ship's belt and using mostly the same ship, it needs a new exhaust now.. Samey planets can come around, however, if you visit 50, 5-10 are going to be memorable (imo), visit a few thousand and some players say, they're all alike, those that say that haven't explored the game. A few thousand planets give you an eye opening number you can call very memorable, they certainly have been for me. (lots of vids to show)

PG will always throw up samey items, just part of the process. But nature throws up the same. If its got two wings does that mean everything with two wings is the same.. Four legs, two eye's, you get where I'm going with it. Look for the differences, explore and you'll find enough to make you continue your journey, if you like the art work, even better. (I love the art work in NMS)

But HG has put enough difference in there for it to also throw up some very nice surprises and you can't argue with that, well I can't.. ;)

In fact that figure doesn't include Exotics, so probably dozens more, many of which I've never seen after 90 hrs of play, like "Hydro Garden" and "Wire Cell".
i've not seen Wire Cell myself yet, unless that is the same as 'wired' in which case yeah, i've seen one (only one)

kudos to HG for some of the bizarre creatures on the exotic worlds, like the picket-fence beast or the explosion that runs away from you. it's a shame i can't feed them but then again maybe it's for the best...

after being driven away from the game due to crash after crash after crash, i have decided to jump ship from nVidia and swim over to AMD - hopefully my new RX 590 8gb will be nicer to me than my GTX 1060 6gb - when i eventually get around to installing it. fingers crossed.

Last edited:
The modes are all things to all players, which is the idea behind it. It only becomes an "issue" for the people playing open shocked about PVP happening or the people who want everyone forced into their choice of mode/style of play. As long as you make the choice that suits your playstyle everything's fine, trying to inflict your choices on others is where it doesn't work. Which honestly I think is a good thing.....

This is your opinion.

I was merely and politely pointing out that FACTUALLY you are incorrect with your assertion that NMS has only the same binary multiplayer modes as ED.

And believe it or not, i was trying to help a new player with an aspect of the settings that they may have missed.

Have the good grace and maturity to accept that.

No reply needed.

I love to explore, NMS is great for that.

Very few space games give you planets as good as those found in NMS. Sure they're sci-fi, but NMS is pure sci-fi, it doesn't pretend to be anything else.
With a few thousand planets under my ship's belt and using mostly the same ship, it needs a new exhaust now.. Samey planets can come around, however, if you visit 50, 5-10 are going to be memorable (imo), visit a few thousand and some players say, they're all alike, those that say that haven't explored the game. A few thousand planets give you an eye opening number you can call very memorable, they certainly have been for me. (lots of vids to show)

PG will always throw up samey items, just part of the process. But nature throws up the same. If its got two wings does that mean everything with two wings is the same.. Four legs, two eye's, you get where I'm going with it. Look for the differences, explore and you'll find enough to make you continue your journey, if you like the art work, even better. (I love the art work in NMS)

But HG has put enough difference in there for it to also throw up some very nice surprises and you can't argue with that, well I can't.. ;)

You should check out Exosolar's mods on Nexus. They add thousands of new possible biomes, skies, oceans, etc.

Stock NMS has a relatively few number on its own.

You should check out Exosolar's mods on Nexus. They add thousands of new possible biomes, skies, oceans, etc.

Stock NMS has a relatively few number on its own.
Yeah, I have them, he goes on Cobra tv or did, think its the same guy. Talks over what he's doing, he is very clever.
But I'm staying vanilla at the moment, have been for a while now. But I'll probably look at it at some stage again, but for now, vanilla. ;)

Last edited:
You should check out Exosolar's mods on Nexus. They add thousands of new possible biomes, skies, oceans, etc...

That looks tasty! Will give it a go. I just hope my screen-shot folder can cope :ROFLMAO:

I also like the look of "Nada's Starmap Upgrade" - that would have been really helpful a while back - alas not so much now.

The only mod I used previously was the one that reduced the amount of fuel used on take-off. Again this is no longer needed with the various augmentations available in game - one tip being to use an exploration vessel as they use less fuel on take off in any circumstance.

Last edited:
NMS and Elite really aren't that similar;

NMS is an exploration game - the spaceflight is just a way of moving between levels and almost seems to be a loading screen to me. The emphasis is definitely on running around stations and planets collecting things & spaceflight isn't really the focus but more something to get you to other places. The spaceflight is simplistic, mouse-controlled and cartoony, but still a lot of fun. It's pretty chilled and doesn't take itself very seriously & you can drop in any time and have fun.

Elite is a spaceflight game, and the destinations (bases and stations) are basically there to give you a reason to fly your spaceship around. It's style is perhaps more similar to a flight simulator than most games & selecting and flying the ships is complex, difficult and absolutely central to the experience. The game takes itself seriously (maybe a little too seriously sometimes) and expects players to do likewise. It isn't really for casual players.

Other than the fact that they're both set in space they are actually more different than similar.

Nope, dozens. They're on the LHS of this figure:
And then there are the "Mega Exotics" which aren't listed above but give dozens more variations.

As to the rest, I disagree with at least half of what you said, some factually wrong, others just opinion. For the record, I'd give NMS a 3/10 at launch, about 8.5/10 now. ED I'd give 9/10. And in no way can I compare NMS to ED. They're two entirely different things.

That would be more convincing if you were willing to commit to whatever it is you claim is wrong. Generic 'nah' just sounds weak.

This is your opinion.

I was merely and politely pointing out that FACTUALLY you are incorrect with your assertion that NMS has only the same binary multiplayer modes as ED.

And believe it or not, i was trying to help a new player with an aspect of the settings that they may have missed.

Have the good grace and maturity to accept that.

No reply needed.

lol, stop sulking.

I actually like it, like the horrific crossbreed of spore and freelancer. None of the individual components stand any comparison with other games, but the sum of the parts is simplistic and relaxing fun if wonky and inconsistant.

NMS and Elite really aren't that similar;

NMS is an exploration game - the spaceflight is just a way of moving between levels and almost seems to be a loading screen to me. The emphasis is definitely on running around stations and planets collecting things & spaceflight isn't really the focus but more something to get you to other places. The spaceflight is simplistic, mouse-controlled and cartoony, but still a lot of fun. It's pretty chilled and doesn't take itself very seriously & you can drop in any time and have fun.

Elite is a spaceflight game, and the destinations (bases and stations) are basically there to give you a reason to fly your spaceship around. It's style is perhaps more similar to a flight simulator than most games & selecting and flying the ships is complex, difficult and absolutely central to the experience. The game takes itself seriously (maybe a little too seriously sometimes) and expects players to do likewise. It isn't really for casual players.

Other than the fact that they're both set in space they are actually more different than similar.

Mm... but I think why this discussion got sparked off is that there's now a very definite potential for crossover.

Previously, both games have gone in very different directions, but if we are led to believe both are currently still being worked on, then it stands to reason that E: D may have planets, and NMS could do something with its flight model if HG chose to.

So then, comparisons start being made. E: D will have its work cut out to match what NMS manages with planetside gameplay IMO.

Conversely, E: D's flight model and galaxy map are very strong, and NMS will have a similarly hard job to "compete" if they tried to.

Top Bottom