Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Looks like I have a reason to jump back into NMS again. I really have to hand it to HG: they keep putting out fun little updates that keep you interested.

Wow, HG just added a DAW! Absolutely flipping amazing. If it supports MIDI then I may retire from using ProTools.... ...well.... probably not.

I'm not sure if we just got more sand or more box, but it does make you wonder what's coming next?

e. "Switches and cabling have been added to allow this music to control other base features. " I feel a 1970's lit disco floor coming on...

I actually laughed out loud at the inclusion of an arpeggiator... I just hope it comes with a demo song from The Prodigy*... 'Light Up the (No Man's) Sky' perhaps... :ROFLMAO:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAm48rkUBl4

Synchroniser.png
* I'll use any excuse to shoe-horn a bit of The Prodigy into my day 😇

Last edited:
Cool, but what a completely random, weird addition to the game. Although maybe it's in keeping with its Minecraft type feel.

ps Caustic 3 on Android and iPhone is awesome.

I've zenned out to this game a bit.

Good :

I fixed the 1st person vehicle view by twiddling the settings I can now see out of the canopy which was just black before. That's nice, I'm now willing to use them.

I switched to playing permadeath which sorted the issue I had with it being far too easy.

Bad :

I've still got the no ships at distress beacons bug, even Artemis's ship is missing on new permadeath playthroughs. That's a bit rubbish especially in a permadeath starter ship.

Now the surveyor mission has bugged out, so no power hot-spots will ever spawn at all (loads of the others). I can either go solar (pain in the rear), travel 15000 ly so I can reset the mission (huge pain in the rear as starter ship) or just start over again (I'm OK with restarts because I died in permadeath not so much because the missions break constantly).

Games where the missions instantly break if you deviate don't really suit the title sandbox, more like litterbox.

This can be a very hard game to enjoy.

I've gone with a reset, its going fast since I've already gitted-gud. Hopefully I'll survive long enough to reach the bugged mission stage.

Note to self :

Must remember don't move the base or the game gets confused. Even if its a "sandbox" and that other planet obviously has better resources, no toxic rainfall and carnivorous space-crabs.

Fun fact: I bought No Man's Sky during the Steam Xmas sale, I installed it, yet I haven't gotten around to actually playing it due to Stardew Valley monopolizing every second of my gaming time for the past week.

Really looking forward to playing this again now that it's more developed (bought and refunded at launch), but I need to finish building up my farm in SDV first...

Fun fact: I bought No Man's Sky during the Steam Xmas sale, I installed it, yet I haven't gotten around to actually playing it due to Stardew Valley monopolizing every second of my gaming time for the past week.

Really looking forward to playing this again now that it's more developed (bought and refunded at launch), but I need to finish building up my farm in SDV first...

There's lots of stuff in NMS but the quality of the stuff isn't very high, it's also pretty badly bugged. I've had it a few weeks and I've hit four or five gamebreakers so far, never had one in ED since 2014.

The base building quests will break if you relocate, either pick a planet you actually want to build a base on even if it means looking around with just your noob stuff or put up with a base somewhere you don't really want one till you get all the stuff.

Odd to nail you to one spot in a sandbox.

Don't bother with the cap-ship stuff, its just a text interface and a countdown. Not worth the hassle.

The base building quests will break if you relocate, either pick a planet you actually want to build a base on even if it means looking around with just your noob stuff or put up with a base somewhere you don't really want one till you get all the stuff.
I never relocate. I put base computers on any planet I find interesting and come back to them later. Especially if it's a planet with a resource I might need. Just name it appropriately and then it's easy to pick in the station to jump to. No need to remove or delete the old base since you can have any number of them.

I never relocate. I put base computers on any planet I find interesting and come back to them later. Especially if it's a planet with a resource I might need. Just name it appropriately and then it's easy to pick in the station to jump to. No need to remove or delete the old base since you can have any number of them.

I did that before I shifted over to permadeath.

In permadeath mode resources are just too thin on the ground to have multiple bases early on, as you are struggling just to power your life support. Until you get the industrial stuff then you are rolling in all kinds of stuff.

So your startup base is stretched thin and not a good place to set up. Which is more challenging but the urge to move gets me as I find better locations and then all the base missions go wonky.

Your starting planet is also always inhospitable, so moving makes sense.

Yep, same. As soon as I get the three Hyperdrive upgrades, I fly to each sun type and find a good, quiet planet (anomaly breakdown ones are good for this) and set up a base computer, a couple of solar panels, a battery, and a teleporter. Rename, save, and move on.

Yep, same. As soon as I get the three Hyperdrive upgrades, I fly to each sun type and find a good, quiet planet (anomaly breakdown ones are good for this) and set up a base computer, a couple of solar panels, a battery, and a teleporter. Rename, save, and move on.

I prefer free roaming myself.

I had a great time playing NMS for about 300 hours. I love the variety of things to do and build that the game offers. Got all the ships I wanted and finished the 2 primary story lines. Just as I was about to head to the center of the galaxy I bumped in to a game killing bug where I could not reach over my shoulder for my weapon anymore. I was devastated. But I doggedly started the game and rebuilt my experience as before...you guessed it. Got hit by the same bug AGAIN. At that point I deleted the game and here I am at Elite Dangerous for the second time in my life (last time was 4 years ago.)

...game killing bug where I could not reach over my shoulder for my weapon anymore....

Oooh that sucks - very sorry to hear that! I've had similar things happen on other games, and it's so demotivating - don't blame you at all for deleting the game. At least in the 'old days' you had a DVD to smash as well.

Was this on one version of the game, or across different releases? Did you send the save files/dump to HG? I know it's tough to know if this makes a difference (and for NMS is a bit of a chore), but I do this as routinely as possible on all games. The way I figure it is that if I don't send in crash-data the devs stand little chance of sorting problems.

...Don't bother with the cap-ship stuff, its just a text interface and a countdown. Not worth the hassle.

Once you've got a bit of a fleet of frigates you can make good money from expeditions - even more so once the frigates 'level up' and you can take on more difficult missions - and should a mission get into difficulty I seem to recall there being an option to go and help (I never did, and now don't need to bother). Also, give the cap-ship some engineering and use it as your main ship, whereby your space-ships become more like local shuttles - vaguely fun, and feel free to mutter 'make it so' - and do a bit of base-building within to make it your 'home in the stars'.

I'm not saying I find the cap-ships overly enthralling, but I do find them worth the hassle, and of course they're a fun place to park and review all of your starships as well as attracting other starships/traders.

ymmv of course.

Oooh that sucks - very sorry to hear that! I've had similar things happen on other games, and it's so demotivating - don't blame you at all for deleting the game. At least in the 'old days' you had a DVD to smash as well.

Was this on one version of the game, or across different releases? Did you send the save files/dump to HG? I know it's tough to know if this makes a difference (and for NMS is a bit of a chore), but I do this as routinely as possible on all games. The way I figure it is that if I don't send in crash-data the devs stand little chance of sorting problems.

That would be easier if they had their own forum, as it is you just use google and half the time you are reading about stuff they've patched already on steam or reddit. My non-functioning 1st person vehicle view was just down to an outdated driver but when I googled it I read it had only been implemented for VR so didn't try for a fix that was actually really easy.

(Blimming GeForce experience, I find it really intrusive and irritating so I remove it and update manually. Almost as bad as the X-box rubbish you get with windows 10 as standard and then have to get rid of GRRR !)

I had a great time playing NMS for about 300 hours. I love the variety of things to do and build that the game offers. Got all the ships I wanted and finished the 2 primary story lines. Just as I was about to head to the center of the galaxy I bumped in to a game killing bug where I could not reach over my shoulder for my weapon anymore. I was devastated. But I doggedly started the game and rebuilt my experience as before...you guessed it. Got hit by the same bug AGAIN. At that point I deleted the game and here I am at Elite Dangerous for the second time in my life (last time was 4 years ago.)

That's a real shame... I'm sad that you had those kind of issues. :( Can only hope that it's been fixed in one of the many patches since then.

I don't suppose it would help to say that in NMS particularly, the journey is far more important than the destination. There's no "win" - not even getting to the centre, or finishing the loose "story". It's about the adventures you have and things you discover along the way. I have only ever got to the centre once, and when I got there, I just started again from scratch. If you enjoyed those 300 hours until you hit a bug... why stop yourself from enjoying 300 more? 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom