Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

It seems to have started as the former but evolved into the latter. NMS evolving into something greater over time hasn't hurt either, especially while Elite seems to devolve rather than evolve at the same time.

Ideally my ultimate dream game would be to have Elite's ship flight mechanics integrated into the NMS gameplay loop and game mechanics. A mix of Elite's realism with the NMS focus on fun engaging gameplay, creativity, proc gen, and exploration.

Far too often FDev seems to forget about who is playing their game when developing new features. On the other hand Hello Games has keenly been listening and paying attention, and it shows.

Having reinstalled Elite after a year, in VR, it is simply amazing. Bought a Mamba, and the whole design, cockpit is of extraordinary quality*. While NMS certainly came a long way, it just doesn't come close in these things... if it will be ver sub €20. I will buy it though. :)
*While I have pretty much no expectations with Elite's 'new era", to me the Mamba proves that significant effort is still being made - it just remains mostly hidden.

At the end my only hope that Elite will retain the good bits and VR with the new era, whatever it is. No expectations, just let me jump in my ships and have a spin time-to-time.

It looks as if one of my gut reactions is right: You can do flying, or legs, but not both. The legs part in this game is pretty good. Pity there isn't a PC only version...

Exactly this - and that's been commented on several times in this thread. :)

If I want to explore planets and build bases, then NMS is the game I'll play. If I want to fly a spaceship, then I'll play E: D. In VR, the NMS planetary play is awesome. But I can't do anything that requires flying in VR - it's just a mess.

Wow. The game is visually amazing.

Critters killed me again twice. "There's NO RISK in exploring" :(

Retrieving your stuff is a real pain. If Elite had a game mechanic like this, half the playerbase would ragequit.
Over time, you'll increase your inventory slots both in backpack, ship, and such, and even remote transfer between them. Also, you'll eventually get to a point when dying is extremely rare and you have more stuff than you need anyway.

I now have a gate. The next task wants me to build a hyperdrive. That's going to be awhile. This game can suck time like Minecraft. And, that's why it's addictive. It has positive re-enforcement. Frontier doesn't do that very well.
Just know it gets easier and easier too. It's just grindy to start.

I love the multiple save slots. It allows me to experiment. Unlike Frontier, Hello has determined that you have spent enough with one purchase of the game.

Easy Mode is great as a tutorial, but very time consuming, as gathering materials is a pain. The sense of accomplishment is greater with the harder modes.

I've tried several start points. My original one, that has the thermal hazard and critters isn't too bad, compared to the insta-death of some start locations. Once again, Elite players might ragequit if encountering this kind of mortality. Almost as bad as docking. :)

Possible new update leak

exo-mech-suit-chamada.jpg

exo-mech-suit-aberta.jpg

video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DltFeR2mtZo&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:
I love the multiple save slots. It allows me to experiment. Unlike Frontier, Hello has determined that you have spent enough with one purchase of the game.

Easy Mode is great as a tutorial, but very time consuming, as gathering materials is a pain. The sense of accomplishment is greater with the harder modes.

I've tried several start points. My original one, that has the thermal hazard and critters isn't too bad, compared to the insta-death of some start locations. Once again, Elite players might ragequit if encountering this kind of mortality. Almost as bad as docking. :)
One of my greatest memories is when I played in an earlier version of NMS, and I was on a planet at start that basically killed me within 1 minute. Problem was that my ship was 10 minute walk. I had to constantly find and hide in caves, and avoid the crabs (back then it was the scariest sound you could hear, freaked me out every time). Man... great times. But do I want to do it again? Probably not. Still have PTSD from it. :D

-edit

Oh, btw, the first time you can take down a walker sentinel on your own. That's the real feeling right there.

Aaand it's dropped. At least I assume it has. I'm downloading a 5.7Gb update right now.

I love Hello Games. :love:
Daaaaaang! Anyone seen all the other things they added too? Power line management. Access all exo-crafts, including the mech from freighter. And much more. I'm blown away beyond blown away. Downloading it now. I might download Elite beta tomorrow, but today I think it'll be NMS.

Wow.

I just killed my first Sentinel. Immediately after, I got eaten by a critter. I hate the acid planet.

Learned how to shoot rocks. And, saw better ships and tools. Long grind.

Poor Frontier. It's not like everyone else has beat them to legs. NMS ships are not fun to fly, though. You can't have both. The mindsets are different.

Wow.

I just killed my first Sentinel. Immediately after, I got eaten by a critter. I hate the acid planet.

Learned how to shoot rocks. And, saw better ships and tools. Long grind.

Poor Frontier. It's not like everyone else has beat them to legs. NMS ships are not fun to fly, though. You can't have both. The mindsets are different.
Yes. NMS is focused on being a fun game. In previous versions, the grind was terrible, but they've fixed so many things that if you know how to play it, it's quite easy, yet a lot of fun.

Here are some things to know, refineries are your friends. Here's a link to a very useful website with recipes: https://www.nomansskyrecipes.com/index.html

Basically, I buy most of the things if I need them, for instance di-hydro. I find a station that sells the gel, and de-refine it to dy-hydro. Instead of mining on a planet.

Yes. NMS is focused on being a fun game. In previous versions, the grind was terrible, but they've fixed so many things that if you know how to play it, it's quite easy, yet a lot of fun.

Here are some things to know, refineries are your friends. Here's a link to a very useful website with recipes: https://www.nomansskyrecipes.com/index.html

Basically, I buy most of the things if I need them, for instance di-hydro. I find a station that sells the gel, and de-refine it to dy-hydro. Instead of mining on a planet.
I am strip mining and de-foresting my little area. Then, trading it in two places. Being cash poor sucks.

I love what the little portable refinery can do.

Am downloading the update now.

I am strip mining and de-foresting my little area. Then, trading it in two places. Being cash poor sucks.

I love what the little portable refinery can do.
After you get some blueprints and such, you can build larger refineries, the two slot and the three slot ones. New recipes for those.

Also, there's a portable refinery that can be installed in your backpack, so you don't have to put it down and start, but you can refine single items while walking.

Am downloading the update now.
I did, and unfortunately, there might be something wrong in their code. My laptop played NMS well in previous version, but got extremely slow in this one. Hopefully it's just a bug they'll fix, otherwise I have to get another computer. :confused:

Top Bottom