Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I’ve just had a chance to try out NMSOVR (nums over?) and very impressed I am!

Performance seems improved so I slapped everything up to Ultra just to have a coo at the new cloud tech and my computer mostly kept up, but with the occasional freeze/smear.

Some animals appear to have better herd or swarm AI going on, and I saw a big predator thing go charging after a group just like in the old trailer.

Took off in my ship, got involved in a low altitude dogfight with 3 pirates and 3 traders (no-one crashed into the ground and it ‘felt’ good from a flying perspective), flew to one of the new planets and landed at one of the mega-structures seen in the Origins trailer and coo-ed at some meteorite strikes in the distance.

Good stuff!

The ED flight model and graphics coupled with the NMS gameplay would have me seeking early retirement.
Only thing left to wish for at that point is a way of uploading yourself to the system. :D

My view on the latest update:

Holy carp, they're productive. What kind of super juice are they living on? Didn't Sean say earlier this year that they only would have smaller updates? This isn't a small update. Anyway, love what they're doing, even though I haven't played much lately. I try each new version for a few hours, and then back to programming and learning my own stuff. Currently learning how to make games in Unreal. With the new atmospheric system and volumetric systems, it's become easier to create full size planets. It's just a matter of time before ED and NMS are dime-a-dozen home-made by some snotty teenager games. The big challenges will be instead to provide... content, narrative, and such. Must say, NMS does have a bit more advanced and fun stories than Elite now, after the Desolation update.

Having fun with this. Runs in steamplay very well.
Inventory management; why every game ever made insists on inventory unlocks as a feature, I'll never know.

Yeah, though I do love the realistic look and feel of Elite, I've discovered I vastly prefer the gameplay of NMS. The mechanics can be repetitive but the procedural nature adds enough variety of discovery for me to still have fun. Plus the creative aspects of the base building mixed with the survival / RPG elements just make NMS feel like a much deeper, interesting game than Elite which feels static and barren by comparison.

NMS with Elite's flight mechanics would seriously be my Game of Forever. Like I'd lose sleep playing such a beast of a game.
If NMS had a bgs system running in the background like ED, I would never go back to ED. The "factions" of NMS are basically fluff and they don't interact in any kind of meaningful way with one another. The bgs, imho, in ED gives some purpose to the game on a micro and macro level (it could be improved (though).

I've started again, since it's a new beginning for NMS, it should be a new beginning for me too. It's always fun to go through the early game where you're struggling to actually survive or just do half the things that you take for granted because you don't have the modules / blueprints / cash / nanites etc to do it.

Deleted an 85 hour save to make room (it's about two years old), but OK... :eek:

I've started again, since it's a new beginning for NMS, it should be a new beginning for me too. It's always fun to go through the early game where you're struggling to actually survive or just do half the things that you take for granted because you don't have the modules / blueprints / cash / nanites etc to do it.

Deleted an 85 hour save to make room (it's about two years old), but OK... :eek:

Alas my PC has had to go to the 'doctors' for 'open-chip surgery' - so I'm back on my old PC and have decided not to play it until my new PC returns. And then I may join you in a fresh start.

I always keep one slot open just so I can start new games. I do enjoy the first bit where you have to work a bit to survive, and you're forced to explore on foot. But once I get to the grindy base building parts I go back to my main game :)

If NMS had a bgs system running in the background like ED, I would never go back to ED. The "factions" of NMS are basically fluff and they don't interact in any kind of meaningful way with one another. The bgs, imho, in ED gives some purpose to the game on a micro and macro level (it could be improved (though).
There's some mechanics in the background for the trading, but I'm not sure exactly how well done it is. If you dump a product in a place, the price drops, and such. (If I'm not misremembering stuff)

Anyway, they should add that you could do trading with NPCs that walk around in the stations (and perhaps on planets?) so you could enact a random trade. Also, take a bunch of the current products you can trade and create more recipes to build other things you can sell. I still want to be able to take the discovered fossil bones and build a whole skeleton of some fancy old creature, and then sell it for buckeroos to a random collector.

Started a permadeath run because tradition, and in my first ever experience of NMS' online features I met another permadeath runner at the Anomaly and we chatted for a while about our discoveries and the update cycle, which was sweet.
Coming up to the end of the 'main plotline' very nicely, so I might be in the money for the universe's center.

Picked this up on sale from Steam a few weeks ago. Its reminiscent of Empyrion GS in some ways but the graphics are way better in NMS. Early days for me, 3 hours game play so far, but enjoyable. I quite like finding things out for myself so I'm trying very hard not use wiki / utube. I think I might just plod along playing the game at my own pace and do missions etc as and when I trip over the clues.

So far, I'm enjoying this game.
What? WHAT??? Enjoying No Man's Sky. Blasphemy! You're supposed to hate it. ;)

Reminder of how it was in 2016:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupCgB8H9Og

3 main mission lines, 9 secondary missions
The best thing is that youtube not required to figure things out.
Very true. The only online tool I've used for NMS is the recipe and crafting website: https://nomansskyrecipes.com/index.html

Especially when you're running low on something, but you know you have plenty of other things.

Oh, and I did use youtube to figure out glitch building, but that's about it.

Picked this up on sale from Steam a few weeks ago... 3 hours game play so far, but enjoyable....

I envy you for starting with fresh eyes. Enjoy the many things to be done. My personal recommendation is base building, whereas farming I found a bit 'meh'.

Anyhoo, I've restarted playing after a six month break, and am having great fun once again.

Here are some snaps from the day or so (that made me smile).

25uyyUk.png

IT'S IN GAME... I BLUDDY KNEW IT.....
Q13xRlR.png

2y6EnuB.png

Played 30 hours now, fascinating and fun game.

The graphics just get better as you visit different places and the variety of tasks and missions is good. You can dip in and out of the various story lines as you please too. Found the money making trick and refining where ever I lay my hat. Currently looking for Apollo, nice base he has there. Whilst in the same system I found a paradise world so I'm base building and getting ready to hire NPC's to help me. I even have 2 functioning ships and a salvaged wreck.

Its fun, even the grind is gentle.

Top Bottom