Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

......... Thinking about starting another save getting in all i know, but wondering how to do it. Not that easy, because every save i have has those rng moments where you get a huge boost of something that you consider uncommon.

Even with the 15 saves now available? How do you keep track of them, is there a way of naming a save for example?

Even with the 15 saves now available? How do you keep track of them, is there a way of naming a save for example?

At the moment i've only got one active save. All the prior were from the learning a bit -> giving up -> starting again and getting a bit further cycle.

That art style is a real barrier to entry. Only in the last few months have been appreciating how much i enjoy the rest of it... and coming around to the graphics after the next gen update even.

EDIT: Just to make the story, the other one i was thinking of was a ps4 save.. while i was on the nexus someone just walked up to me and gave me 15 million worth of mats.. at the time that was the most money i had on any account ps4 and pc.. so a bit sentimental. Not really.

Last edited:
Wow. Yesterday was intense.

Yellow Guy is now Rainbow Guy, after I finally found the customizations. All this time I've been playing, and I've only been using half of a space station...

Busy building my sample base. It makes sense to stay with one save. Keeping my old saves, but not using them. I've been digging out a cavern for an underground setup. Radiation is the main problem on my base world. I can deal with heat and radiation better than with a toxic atmosphere. Fortunately, there aren't too many sentinels. Those guys are annoying.

It still hurts, though. Those flight, and galaxy models... :(

The flight can be tweaked through mods if you want. A good one that I use is this.

As for the galaxy, you do know that they're both made up, don't you? ;)

If it helps, think of it more like the original Elite galaxy, which had no relation to reality either...

The flight can be tweaked through mods if you want. A good one that I use is this.

As for the galaxy, you do know that they're both made up, don't you? ;)
I'm with Ralph on this. NMS just doesn't have a flight model that comes anywhere near what ED (or X4) has, and I doubt any mods can bring it across that huge gap. As for the galaxy, my problem is with the solar systems. I just don't like geocentric solar systems, be it NMS or SE or X4. And technically, these games are worse than geocentric, because the planets don't move at all - they neither revolve nor rotate, it's literally Apollo driving his chariot (the sun) across the sky. Actually, he's dragging the whole sky, stars and all! What I would give to see a planet-rise in NMS, and to see the position of the planets in relation to each other change over time. This is where Elite knocks it out of the park and other space games fall flat on their face.

Unfortunately Elite gives me little reason to stay on a single planet long enough to enjoy these heliocentric solar systems it gives up, whereas NMS I can live on a single planet for weeks, exploring, building, etc. If only there was a game that had the best of both worlds. :(

More noob questions:

• On my expedition save, i seem to have picked up an A class freighter 33/9 that looks like a mid side star destroyer. Is that any good? If you keep trying for a better free one is finding a better one reasonable? It wasn't that hard to do.. on the expedition save, after a few jumps i got the battle, which you save the ship, go on board and ask to get paid instead, then every subsequent jump had another battle with another ship. I just accepted that one without thinking because i wanted to get back on the expedition..
  • Is it possible to get the story missions on an expedition save (after it converts?) and how do pick them up without a starting landing zone.

Thanks for any advice.
It doesn't really matter much which freighter you have. Pick the one the you like. The class regulates the initial storage size and jump range, but nothing else, as far as I know. The storage size can be upgraded with a particular item which your fleet can provide over time by finding them on missions.

Regarding the story mission, I think the big story lines are there in the log and you can select them to activate/return to them even in expedition... I think.

Nowadays, you really don't need to do the build-base and the farmer missions, but I suspect you can still do them just by buying the modules for their work stations at the Nexus and then talk to the NPCs.

You can't, unfortunately. I submitted it as a suggestion last week. Maybe you should send that in as well (on their bug reporting page as a suggestion). I was thinking that the name on the save file would be the name of your character, and in dialogues that name could be inserted so NPCs used you "save file" name.

At the moment i've only got one active save. All the prior were from the learning a bit -> giving up -> starting again and getting a bit further cycle.

That art style is a real barrier to entry. Only in the last few months have been appreciating how much i enjoy the rest of it... and coming around to the graphics after the next gen update even.

EDIT: Just to make the story, the other one i was thinking of was a ps4 save.. while i was on the nexus someone just walked up to me and gave me 15 million worth of mats.. at the time that was the most money i had on any account ps4 and pc.. so a bit sentimental. Not really.
If you need a quick-money-making scheme, the easiest for me is to get the buggy, and find a fairly flat planet with lots of storms, and gather storm crystals. I made like 15 million just by picking up one here or there during the expedition. Didn't even try. Just saw one and took it while doing other stuff.

Note: The depth and intensity of gameplay far exceeds Oddy. Even if I could get Oddy to run on my system, I would play NMS as the ground game instead.

It still hurts, though. Those flight, and galaxy models... :(
Yup. I love the realism of the star systems and the galaxy in Elite. The systems are very... childish for a better word in NMS. Game play is awesome, but I wish the star systems and the galaxies were a bit more realistic. Doesn't have to be much, just a bit.

Nowadays, you really don't need to do the build-base and the farmer missions, but I suspect you can still do them just by buying the modules for their work stations at the Nexus and then talk to the NPCs.

Being new, the main advantage i'm anchoring on is you get quite a few blueprints for free, so less salvaged data digging /newplayer. I havent done anything with the terminals yet, and only did exocraft yesterday so wouldn't mind a hand old if there is one. Also to see the content.

If you need a quick-money-making scheme, the easiest for me is to get the buggy, and find a fairly flat planet with lots of storms, and gather storm crystals. I made like 15 million just by picking up one here or there during the expedition. Didn't even try. Just saw one and took it while doing other stuff.

Im not going to link it because i consider this stuff a serious spoiler, but i watched a great new video by hawkes gaming on no mans sky.. for where im at:

• I had no idea the container junk did something. Mind blown. So good because hate mining ferrite.
  • Im also doing ship salvage, but prefer to do it via the distress charts rather than buying and selling. Still having fun with this so not going to just flip them at stations.
  • Where im up to.. especially after making that mistake on the expedition, i think im up to refining chlorine for money.

From all the feedback from this thread, decided to keep my expedition save and its bonus star destroyer. Apparently i have to wait until its a normal save to try the story. But that means prep! So today i was busy flying back to it, moving it to a fresh system, tagging it all, exploring, dismantling my expedition base and setting it up in the carrier, getting supplies, spending those 7k nanites on blueprints (highlights being carrier exocraft summoner and all three translation upgrades).. and most interestingly... one of the planets in my system has very frequent salt deposits....

That was what elite was like, except you get much more done per hour in no mans sky. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah.. the buildable space in carriers is massive... i tried to make rooms in both directions until it stopped. Such b s about not possible to get that scale, it is possible i saw it today.

Last edited:
I'm with Ralph on this. NMS just doesn't have a flight model that comes anywhere near what ED (or X4) has, and I doubt any mods can bring it across that huge gap. As for the galaxy, my problem is with the solar systems. I just don't like geocentric solar systems, be it NMS or SE or X4. And technically, these games are worse than geocentric, because the planets don't move at all - they neither revolve nor rotate, it's literally Apollo driving his chariot (the sun) across the sky. Actually, he's dragging the whole sky, stars and all! What I would give to see a planet-rise in NMS, and to see the position of the planets in relation to each other change over time. This is where Elite knocks it out of the park and other space games fall flat on their face.

Unfortunately Elite gives me little reason to stay on a single planet long enough to enjoy these heliocentric solar systems it gives up, whereas NMS I can live on a single planet for weeks, exploring, building, etc. If only there was a game that had the best of both worlds. :(
You can have Legs. You can have Ships. It's really, really hard to have both.

I still die, every time. Why is every first planet so hostile?

They vary in hostility, but there is always a scripted storm when you have to go and collect the Hermetic Seal to repair your ship.

If it's too much, you can just restart and you might get an easier planet. Once you get going, and bag some upgrade modules, you'll find it's quite difficult to die in the game.

Grab as much Sodium as you can & start shovelling it in when the storm hits, or find a cave to shelter in.

Top Bottom