Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

So has anyone seen geknip sale price increase much on the galactic trade terminals....
Or am a wasting a lot of time trying to find a high price via jumping around...
My settlement generate 28 geknip per run as well as 28 ion capacitors, but I know the capacitors price can increase a lot...
E_Hed2gWQAUIFXj
Due to all the new settlements has the price for geknip been frozen at a low price...

The economy in NMS isn't that deep - it doesn't really work on a proper supply/demand model. 🤷‍♀️

The only things that have really wild variations in price are trade goods.

Geknip isn't a trade good, so the price is pretty static (+/- 3% or so). Remember though that each station has TWO galactic terminals (one on each side) and the price may vary between them. Also the supply of goods can differ as well.

The best use for Geknip IMO is to give to the Gek to increase your standing.

I still die, every time. Why is every first planet so hostile?

As @Juniper says - when you get sent to get the hermetic seal - a storm crops up quite soon after (maybe time or distance from ship triggers it?) - so just hang near enough to run back to the ship or stay close to a cave entrance that you found.

Back when I first started with this game it was always the case that when sheltering from a storm in a cave some pesky little critters would attack and kill me off 9 times out of 10 - so I think the current start is a lot more forgiving.

As @Juniper says - when you get sent to get the hermetic seal - a storm crops up quite soon after (maybe time or distance from ship triggers it?) - so just hang near enough to run back to the ship or stay close to a cave entrance that you found.

Back when I first started with this game it was always the case that when sheltering from a storm in a cave some pesky little critters would attack and kill me off 9 times out of 10 - so I think the current start is a lot more forgiving.
Toxic atmospheres are the worst, combined with toxic life forms.

So has anyone seen geknip sale price increase much on the galactic trade terminals....
Or am a wasting a lot of time trying to find a high price via jumping around...
My settlement generate 28 geknip per run as well as 28 ion capacitors, but I know the capacitors price can increase a lot...
E_Hed2gWQAUIFXj
Due to all the new settlements has the price for geknip been frozen at a low price...
I look at your balances, and, well, try to sympathize... :(

Rainbow Guy still needs to find antimatter, and some, weird ionized metal. Most of the forty slot, salvaged ship has been fixed. Wore my hand out shooting rocks for units yesterday. The starting ship has better guns.

It's the engine, isn't it?

With Cobra, that explains a lot.
Voxels let you manipulate the terrain and build bases, whereas Cobra gives you static, unchanging landscapes. Voxels also let you have natural caves, though I think this can be achieved without using voxels.

From what I've read, simulating the motion of an entire planet made out of voxels is not practical for performance reasons, but I'm not totally convinced it can't be done. While not perfect, I would even settle for "stair step" motion, where the planet's position changes once every minute. Many games do this with their sun to achieve much better shadow quality, basically generating a static shadow map once per minute +/- rather than have "live" dynamic shadows like ED has (which tend to be lower quality and dance all over at certain times of day).

What about Star Citizen? Does it have planets that revolve and rotate? I've scene a video where people traveled to the sun, which implies it's a heliocentric system.

Voxels let you manipulate the terrain and build bases, whereas Cobra gives you static, unchanging landscapes. Voxels also let you have natural caves, though I think this can be achieved without using voxels.
Yup. Voxel terrain is necessary for having a landscape that you can change, like in NMS. And, for anyone who wonders what "voxel" means, it stands for "volumetric pixel" (or similar) if I remember right.

From what I've read, simulating the motion of an entire planet made out of voxels is not practical for performance reasons, but I'm not totally convinced it can't be done. While not perfect, I would even settle for "stair step" motion, where the planet's position changes once every minute. Many games do this with their sun to achieve much better shadow quality, basically generating a static shadow map once per minute +/- rather than have "live" dynamic shadows like ED has (which tend to be lower quality and dance all over at certain times of day).
It shouldn't be a problem to do, since you can do billboarding of the planets. Which I believe HG already does in NMS.

And after all, they are moving the stars, so the planet you're on is kind'a rotating, and the sun is moving over the sky too. I think it's just they don't think it's an important feature to implement, to move the planets too.

What about Star Citizen? Does it have planets that revolve and rotate? I've scene a video where people traveled to the sun, which implies it's a heliocentric system.
Star Citizen? What the heck is that? Never heard of... :D

Loved it. It was an ice world. Just works, I think "The Long Dark" is one of the best survival games - made me even play Interloper. Me, the Casul King. NMS you really need to be lazy with the surface harvesting to die. Or it's just extremely bad roll on the start location. The sentinels can be a pain at the start - best way is to control their spawn and fight on equal terms. Or just leg it. By digging into ground and zigzag underground. You have easy 5 degrees of movement axis.

That won't help someone who's just starting a new game, as terrain modifier tool comes a bit later.
I don't remember sentinels at game start. Hostile climate. I went couple time in alarm but there is this circle thing scanner and I grabbed all the yellow stuff. Such shiny.

You know what: The - idk - 200 ingredients in total in NMS - kinda annoying but I kept accumulating. He who accumulates will be given a chest, right? RIGHT?

Tip: Inventory space - every new station gives a new inventory slot. Visit left side and check the stores more thoroughly - I never noticed until I asked how to $%!#@ unlock inventory slots.

So with many inventory slots, eventually lots of chests and a bloated list of ingredients (all of which I knew by name beforehand - other than Modular Terminals or Terminal Module nohocuspohocus in ED) I happily accumulated until eventually I had to spend some, so I did (other than in ED, where something was always missing and you had to roll a dice to find stuff. And then again. And again. Reroll. Another time..).
The only grindy thing in NMS is the sheer amount of mats. So heed advice and arrange your mods in a way they give each other boni. Then enjoy the show while wandering the silly planets. Doing little errands here and there and get busy jobs but you kinda always have a clue how to do them or how to find stuff. The game just tells you.

I look at your balances, and, well, try to sympathize... :(
Farming made all that money but that requires activity in picking my farm and explosive prices had tanked on the bases that I run...
So was looking for a way to avoid the glitched instant respawn farm item issue that happened...
Was looking for a bit more but if I have to I can go back to farming...
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OmNZ1g75-Q

I don't remember sentinels at game start. Hostile climate. I went couple time in alarm but there is this circle thing scanner and I grabbed all the yellow stuff. Such shiny.

You know what: The - idk - 200 ingredients in total in NMS - kinda annoying but I kept accumulating. He who accumulates will be given a chest, right? RIGHT?

Tip: Inventory space - every new station gives a new inventory slot. Visit left side and check the stores more thoroughly - I never noticed until I asked how to $%!#@ unlock inventory slots.
Also, if I remember correctly, call on the Anomaly-Nexus in every new system, there's a suit upgrade in there as well. It might have changed, but I remember getting two for each system in the distant past.

Another thing, get a land vehicle, upgrade scanner, scan for drop pods. Only need a bunch of material to do the upgrades. Preferably on a fairly flat surface landscape planet to make it quicker to get around.

So with many inventory slots, eventually lots of chests and a bloated list of ingredients (all of which I knew by name beforehand - other than Modular Terminals or Terminal Module nohocuspohocus in ED) I happily accumulated until eventually I had to spend some, so I did (other than in ED, where something was always missing and you had to roll a dice to find stuff. And then again. And again. Reroll. Another time..).
The only grindy thing in NMS is the sheer amount of mats. So heed advice and arrange your mods in a way they give each other boni. Then enjoy the show while wandering the silly planets. Doing little errands here and there and get busy jobs but you kinda always have a clue how to do them or how to find stuff. The game just tells you.
Yup.

And if you get the big vehicle that has a bunch of slots, put in mining laser and the upgrade, and shoot rocks and trees like no tomorrow and suddenly you have more than 10,000 pieces of carbon. :)

A new patch... again!!! Big 'un this time. I see in the notes that one of my problems stopping me from doing settlement in my first (big) save file should be fixed now. thumbsup

https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/09/frontiers-patch-3-66/ Pc only so far...
NPC shopkeepers and access to a Galactic Trade Terminal have been added to settlement marketplaces... Woot...

Should be able to sell and buy without leaving the planet now..
Oh, I missed that part. That's awesome! Also, there's a portal in the overseer office now too. Next they need to add some access to storage facilities.

-- edit

Wow wow wow! The merchant guy has several hard-to-get items. Very berry nice.

Something else must've changed, never checked the log so it might be in there, but I have multiple races in the settlement now, not just V'ykeen.

Last edited:
That is not something I was aware of.
Yeah. Just checked. Jump to a new system, call the anomaly/nexus, go the back of the station where you can buy upgrade and there's a suit slot upgrade thingy there. Then fly to the local system starport, and get that upgrade too. Just know that each upgrade costs increasingly more.

Top Bottom