Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Yeah. Just checked. Jump to a new system, call the anomaly/nexus, go the back of the station where you can buy upgrade and there's a suit slot upgrade thingy there. Then fly to the local system starport, and get that upgrade too. Just know that each upgrade costs increasingly more.
Yes I know it's more expensive everytime, did not know the anomoly resets too.
The amount of time I've wasted with inventory management not knowing this...

Yes I know it's more expensive everytime, did not know the anomoly resets too.
The amount of time I've wasted with inventory management not knowing this...

You've got three inventories to upgrade, so fill your boots. :)

It's one for the anomaly, one for the station... once per system. Even if you jump to an unpopulated system, you can still call the anomaly, so you always get at least one exosuit upgrade per jump.

I'm also finding I have a multicultural settlement now. Loving it. Just wish they'd say more... hopefully that will come. :unsure:

Wow, when no mans sky bites.. its just like elite isn't it? I managed to replicate everything about mid level elite sandboxing in no mans sky last night. When you know enough that you can target something, get it without being in the deep end, but it turns into an adventure anyway. I didn't know there were uninhabited systems in nms.. that's cool. Yesterday i decided i wanted to put the weapon that came on the expedition ship onto the twitch hauler, its the first combat weapon i liked.. so that involved getting a cadmium drive onto the explorer (after making the decision to use the explorer rather than the hauler). Going to a red star, seeing that phosphorus and cadmium do indeed drop from those, mining some, then getting back to the carrier.

Having your base in a carrier feels pretty good, makes no mans sky feel a bit more spacey rather than fps survival.

Also the flight model status quo complaint is starting to feel a bit silly. They just handle like small ships. The major differences are landing + takeoff is overemhpasized to the point it detracts from the experience. Because of the constant rocks they have to put the space needles supercruise so the entire experience is effectively pointless. They want you to not notice so they're shaking and battering the ship around insanely too.. but yeah thats gone. When you are fully in control of your experience the problems with the spaceflight go away, its not that bad. Yeah i didn't think highly of it either until yesterday. They also added drift in the major patch so its slightly more funner than before.

Wondering how this ends. Endgame in elite is exploration, and no mans sky being unrealistic might not go that far. Oh wait they actually add new content to no mans sky so there's new stuff to do. Wow, what the hell were frontier doing between the end of horizons to now.. its been how many years? Talk about perspective. Elite has had so little done to it the community random crap like "100 developers" has to be a self inflicted delusion.

Anyways.. yeah i had an elite sandbox session last night. Was pretty good. Use the fleet carrier as your base. Fixes a bunch of "elite problems" for no mans sky. The fact that these things generate a stable stream of millions (from carrier specific stuff, not just ground stuff moved) like a massive carrier base should is just icing on top.

Wow, when no mans sky bites.. its just like elite isn't it? I managed to replicate everything about mid level elite sandboxing in no mans sky last night. When you know enough that you can target something, get it without being in the deep end, but it turns into an adventure anyway. I didn't know there were uninhabited systems in nms.. that's cool. Yesterday i decided i wanted to put the weapon that came on the expedition ship onto the twitch hauler, its the first combat weapon i liked.. so that involved getting a cadmium drive onto the explorer (after making the decision to use the explorer rather than the hauler). Going to a red star, seeing that phosphorus and cadmium do indeed drop from those, mining some, then getting back to the carrier.
Yup. They've been there for a while, also the derelict stations (which I believe still are based on the original stations as a nod to version 1.0). Also, there are atmo-less planets, with not flora or fauna.

Having your base in a carrier feels pretty good, makes no mans sky feel a bit more spacey rather than fps survival.
Agree. Just take the first free carrier you can get and start putting your storage, refinery, portal, and such there. Makes life so much easier.

Also, I recommend to put your hydroponics in the carrier. Free energy. Easy to expand. Always accessible, and then add a trading station. Harvest, manufacture, sell. That's how I made over a billion in my previous save file.

Another tip, when you get a fleet and send them on missions, you end up getting some Salvaged Frigate Module, you need 5 to buy the Matter Beam from the freighter console in front. It's worth having. Installed, you can transfer stuff to and from the freighter while you're on the planet. It's like having a extra backpack.

And one more thing, there are two kinds of containers that are worth making, and you get two or three of them when you first get your carrier. There's one Crate Fabricator and one or two Barrel Fabricators. First of all, they create stuff that you can use or sell on a regular basis, for free. And secondly, if you (an exploit in the new building system) don't have the blueprints to them already, you can just use the building function and change to edit existing, select the move function and move it, and it'll let you then make another one (if you have the material for it). So I duplicated a couple already in my freighter base. In my old save, I had like 20-30 of them, and just going through and picking up the stuff, then sell it, all for free.

Also the flight model status quo complaint is starting to feel a bit silly. They just handle like small ships. The major differences are landing + takeoff is overemhpasized to the point it detracts from the experience. Because of the constant rocks they have to put the space needles supercruise so the entire experience is effectively pointless. They want you to not notice so they're shaking and battering the ship around insanely too.. but yeah thats gone. When you are fully in control of your experience the problems with the spaceflight go away, its not that bad. Yeah i didn't think highly of it either until yesterday. They also added drift in the major patch so its slightly more funner than before.
You mean inertia drift of the spaceship in space? I think it's been there before this update, not sure how long, but I remember I've experienced it a while back.

Wondering how this ends. Endgame in elite is exploration, and no mans sky being unrealistic might not go that far. Oh wait they actually add new content to no mans sky so there's new stuff to do. Wow, what the hell were frontier doing between the end of horizons to now.. its been how many years? Talk about perspective. Elite has had so little done to it the community random crap like "100 developers" has to be a self inflicted delusion.

Anyways.. yeah i had an elite sandbox session last night. Was pretty good. Use the fleet carrier as your base. Fixes a bunch of "elite problems" for no mans sky.
+1

Yup. They've been there for a while, also the derelict stations (which I believe still are based on the original stations as a nod to version 1.0). Also, there are atmo-less planets, with not flora or fauna.

Yeah the planet with salt on it was lifeless. Also felt very elite like, but with the ice worlds upgrades from the screenshots in cartoon form. As an interesting no mans sky twist, i summoned my pet dog for some company instead of playing space ambient music. I have a pet dog. They feel different from the other types for sure.

Another tip, when you get a fleet and send them on missions, you end up getting some Salvaged Frigate Module, you need 5 to buy the Matter Beam from the freighter console in front. It's worth having. Installed, you can transfer stuff to and from the freighter while you're on the planet. It's like having a extra backpack.

I know about this, but have only collected one on my previous save. I also have my eye on those jump range upgrades so can make some real use out of it. Amazing utility for sure.

And one more thing, there are two kinds of containers that are worth making, and you get two or three of them when you first get your carrier. There's one Crate Fabricator and one or two Barrel Fabricators. First of all, they create stuff that you can use or sell on a regular basis, for free. And secondly, if you (an exploit in the new building system) don't have the blueprints to them already, you can just use the building function and change to edit existing, select the move function and move it, and it'll let you then make another one (if you have the material for it). So I duplicated a couple already in my freighter base. In my old save, I had like 20-30 of them, and just going through and picking up the stuff, then sell it, all for free.

Havent even heard of these. Have now. Oh yeah i get the exploit, if you move it the template hologram stays on the same thing to create... do you mean the things in the back room? The loot items? Yep on the list.

You mean inertia drift of the spaceship in space? I think it's been there before this update, not sure how long, but I remember I've experienced it a while back.

I forgot to add the real elite problem with the flight.. you can't plug a hotas up to it. Given how much a joystick improves the x games flight.. and no mans sky mouse flight is better than x... I can imagine it would be good.

For money, im still really enjoying ship salvage. Going out and tracking down a wreck, hoping this next chart will be one.. repairing it, and flying it back to the station for both credits and upgrades (because just credits wasn't enough :p). I've wanted to do something like that in elite ever since and definitely haven't had enough of it yet.

Combined with carrier missions im happy with that level for the moment. I learned about refining chlorine so want to try that too. ... I'm probably trying to avoid being a space gardener. At least until time is right for a ground base.

The amazing thing is there's so much to sprinkle inbetween that, anything from the crafting blueprints universe, exploration like in elite (which is never a chore at 150-350k per animal).. even combat seems arcade fun now ive found a weapon i like. Its very mmoish thinking about it. All they need is to build a networking and that would be easily a themepark mmo.

What about Star Citizen? Does it have planets that revolve and rotate? I've scene a video where people traveled to the sun, which implies it's a heliocentric system.

I believe SC, from what I have read, does not model orbital dynamics at the moment;

Here is part of a transcript from a 2018 talk;

Transcript:

Absolutely, yes. We are... it's actually frighteningly... one of the big things Chris wants to do is realism. We have everything, you have your star and planets basically circulate the star, just like here in the Sol system. And basically depending on where you are if you want to travel to a different planet it will depend what time of year it is, and what route you take. And then also in terms of the planets, we also have atmospheric dynamics and space stations which can either statically keep in rotation of the planet or could move as well.

Note this was in 2018 and not heard a peep since, and modeling orbital dynamics is "frightening," maybe they need to call the devs of ED and get some hints on how to do it!

My base is long gone somewhere in the mist of time, it still stands no doubt, but where, I've forgotten.
I built it just after the update that allowed it, but I was thinking while building it, seems pointless to have a base if your an explorer in space, not like you can keep popping back, although you can now of course.

I did like going to see other players builds via the portals, just get and address and go have a look. There is a website somewhere with loads of portal address's for players to pop around and have a gander.

I haven't called my freighter with the other ships I have for few years now. I reckon the captain I hired is using it to haul toilet rolls.

I can't stop buying ships, my main ship is an s-class explorer with add ons to the hyperdrive, but found another s-class with twice as many slots, so bought it.
Now I have to find some tech to install for hyperdrive, and build/install the 3 extra hyperdrive units for red, green, blue stars.
In the past the best way to get crazy add on tech was to find NPC who land near you. This does not seem to happen anymore in the latest updates, so where is the next best place to grab ship tech?

I can't stop buying ships, my main ship is an s-class explorer with add ons to the hyperdrive, but found another s-class with twice as many slots, so bought it.
Now I have to find some tech to install for hyperdrive, and build/install the 3 extra hyperdrive units for red, green, blue stars.
In the past the best way to get crazy add on tech was to find NPC who land near you. This does not seem to happen anymore in the latest updates, so where is the next best place to grab ship tech?

Go to the technology vendors on any station. One of them sells ship tech. He can usually furnish you with hyperdrive upgrades to get to the different coloured stars.

Go to the technology vendors on any station. One of them sells ship tech. He can usually furnish you with hyperdrive upgrades to get to the different coloured stars.
I don't need the colored stars stuff, looking for the illegal, or supreme upgrades for hyperdrive & pulse engine, but the stations seem to be all class B at best.

Unlimited c-metal comes from unlimited ground mining using machines to extract material not using laser...
You actualy have to do this for the Expo3 any way... you build a scanner to find the material location on multi tool, you then build a few machines to extract it at location, you then use refinery to convert materials to c-metal... or you can just buy it from trade buildings...
In expo 3 the planet was copper material which was converted to C-metal...

Now, I just need infinite chromatic metal, and more antimatter.

Antimatter is pretty easy to craft. It seems really exotic from the way its presented in the story mission, but the tooltip says otherwise.

You can buy chromatic metal from some stations i think (from the second gtn in the little room on the other side usually).

The trick is to find a noob level income stream to fund the starter stuff. Before this recent round of learning, i was still doing whispering eggs, each abandoned building with them gives a million from the 13 eggs and... well its got to be done :)

Ive got over 3 marketplaces at my settlement and there all selling salvage item, like other planet locations. Instead of having to dig them up 3 at a time, I just buy them direct at the markets, woot, going to make unlocking all the recent new building units way quicker...

The little boxes need to be set up orthogonally to each other on the ship or exosuit to work.

There are two concourses on every starport, and each of them buys/sells different stuff.

Putting a storage unit in a 1x2 hut does not work out very well.

Dropping pieces diagonally can suck, when building.

Etc, etc...

(headbonkbonkbonkbonk) :(

The scrap dealer might have some stuff. (The shady character under a tent in the space port)

Ive got over 3 marketplaces at my settlement and there all selling salvage item, like other planet locations. Instead of having to dig them up 3 at a time, I just buy them direct at the markets, woot, going to make unlocking all the recent new building units way quicker...
Oh, shoot. I forgot that I did see them there. I have two bazaars myself. Thanks for the reminder.
--edit
Checked, and I don't have them there. I wonder if it was just a one time thing. I'm sure I saw it there yesterday. :(

Last edited:
The little boxes need to be set up orthogonally to each other on the ship or exosuit to work.

There are two concourses on every starport, and each of them buys/sells different stuff.

Putting a storage unit in a 1x2 hut does not work out very well.

Dropping pieces diagonally can suck, when building.

Etc, etc...

(headbonkbonkbonkbonk) :(

Just like elite. Remember when you were first learning what a limpet was? Its taken me 5 or 6 good restarts... and there's still quite a few things i havent done.

Wanting to do this expedition really pushed it through though. ps..Is definitely not noob friendly if you go in with a reasonable expectation to succeed and don't know stuff. It probably took double the time it should have because i had no idea what many of the objectives were more than "use this thing". I thought id be dead in no time with the storms happening every 5 minutes.. by the end of it i was just walking around without caring, or even charging the protection boosters.

Top Bottom