Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Grah!

I do not like the space combat in NMS.

It made me go back for one session in Horizons. Killed a pirate there. So much better.

Maybe, in about two human generations, there will be a game with space, and legs.

I don't need the colored stars stuff, looking for the illegal, or supreme upgrades for hyperdrive & pulse engine, but the stations seem to be all class B at best.

Same place though. Just keep looking. The Law of Sod means that whatever you're looking for is hard to find. 🤷‍♀️

This game is great. But I can't fly so good in it. ARRRRGH!

Penalty of being a RL pilot...
I've actually got a bit better at it this time around, surprisingly enough. I was flying one of those fix-me-up ships for the purpose of selling and encountered a gang of pirates. So here I am with a non-upgraded trading ship that's half-broken, and ... I survived!?! And all the ship was equipped with was this tiny little pew-pew gun. I agree though. Space flying and combat isn't the greatest.

So to save me going back in NMS, someone be kind enough to tell me.
Are settlements spread around. I.e. you stumble across them ?
Are the settlements alive with NPC's going about their business ? (walking around doing things that look normal)

I don't want a settlement or be an overseer. Just be nice to know you can come across these. But its a little pointless, if they are just another section of non moving shops.
I have over a thousand hrs in NMS and can't see me ever getting that involved again, but you never say never.

So to save me going back in NMS, someone be kind enough to tell me.
Are settlements spread around. I.e. you stumble across them ?
I haven't stumbled upon them yet. Only way (for me at least) is to get a map thingy that gives you a location.

Are the settlements alive with NPC's going about their business ? (walking around doing things that look normal)
They're walking around, yes. Does it look like normal business? Eeeh... kind'a, but not quite. They do walk around, stop at things or stuff, go to chairs and sit down for a while, and I did encounter two talking to each other once, but they do seem a bit scatter brained by walking or running one way and then changing ways, running another way a lot.

They're walking around, yes. Does it look like normal business? Eeeh... kind'a, but not quite. They do walk around, stop at things or stuff, go to chairs and sit down for a while, and I did encounter two talking to each other once, but they do seem a bit scatter brained by walking or running one way and then changing ways, running another way a lot.
Well at least they move around then, that is good.
I wondered if the settlements were scattered around, would be nice if they are.

This game is great. But I can't fly so good in it. ARRRRGH!

Penalty of being a RL pilot...

Well compared to elite, you have to get used to the fact the ship never stops moving, its always moving slightly in some direction. For space combat, i think you have to get over wanting to avoid being hit alltogether and just slow down and hope your shields hold up. As soon as something zooms under you, pull back the throttle and turn. Also helps if you have a decent weapon... the infra knife thing is great, and the shotgun is apparently good. I never really liked the pulse laser or the beam laser, haven't tried the plasma balls against a real ship but can't imagine it being that good.

The trick is when you get there's a way to be really precise with steering with it. I never played elite with kbm, but might be similar. I don't really like kbm for space ships either, but seems you can get used to it.

Also if someone knows the real tricks for it would love to hear as well, im still relatively a noob at it and also wish for a joystick. Does combat ever get hard? Are you just supposed to recharge your shields mid encounter?

Well compared to elite, you have to get used to the fact the ship never stops moving, its always moving slightly in some direction. For space combat, i think you have to get over wanting to avoid being hit alltogether and just slow down and hope your shields hold up. As soon as something zooms under you, pull back the throttle and turn. Also helps if you have a decent weapon... the infra knife thing is great, and the shotgun is apparently good. I never really liked the pulse laser or the beam laser, haven't tried the plasma balls against a real ship but can't imagine it being that good.

The trick is when you get there's a way to be really precise with steering with it. I never played elite with kbm, but might be similar. I don't really like kbm for space ships either, but seems you can get used to it.

Also if someone knows the real tricks for it would love to hear as well, im still relatively a noob at it and also wish for a joystick. Does combat ever get hard? Are you just supposed to recharge your shields mid encounter?
I'm on PC, playing with keyboard and mouse. I have a great urge to reach for my joystick.

The flying model, chasing the mouse motion, drives me nuts. Yes, I also just run away, not being able to fight effectively.

A Sidewinder could beat any of these ships... :mad:

Pimp your weapons, shields & drive and have a good time. I just out run them now, got bored of killing them. Of course that was once I had done the things mentioned. ;)

I'm on PC, playing with keyboard and mouse. I have a great urge to reach for my joystick.

The flying model, chasing the mouse motion, drives me nuts. Yes, I also just run away, not being able to fight effectively.

A Sidewinder could beat any of these ships... :mad:
I steer by the mouse in every game that allows it, makes for a nice flying/driving experience.

My Expedition is going well. I just passed 1 billion credits, on my way to the galactic center. I'm about half way there :)

20210915091840_1.jpg

My Settlement market NPC shopping...

Can I ask what you are using to record video with NMS? For some reason either recording or streaming NMS using OBS is just capturing the upper-left of the video for me. It works fine in Elite but in NMS, nope, just a section. (I have tried the rescale options in OBS - record and stream - but with no effect.) ... the bottom and right of the video are missing. I only noticed this when I tried livestreaming a new NMS start ( you can see these aborted attempts on my channel here)

I am using a 4k monitor (recent upgrade from a x1440 one) and wondered if that is the issue but there is no problem with Elite - only NMS.

EDIT: SORTED - Found a different prog to stream NMS.

Last edited:
Can I ask what you are using to record video with NMS? For some reason either recording or streaming NMS using OBS is just capturing the upper-left of the video for me. It works fine in Elite but in NMS, nope, just a section. (I have tried the rescale options in OBS - record and stream - but with no effect.) This is what I mean:

View attachment 262745

You can see the bottom and right of the video are missing. I only noticed this when I tried livestreaming a new NMS start ( you can see these aborted attempts on my channel here)

I am using a 4k monitor (recent upgrade from a x1440 one) and wondered if that is the issue but there is no problem with Elite - only NMS.
Sorry Console user dont use software untill editing..

PS4 OG Consoles have built in Game PVR hardware for 720p game recording, they don't use software until editing, but also I have external HDMI hardware capture unit from Avermedia with linux powered stand alone HDD hardware capture PVR box for 1080p recording when can be bothered...
Dont require or use OBS for a long time Sorry...

Last edited:
Top Bottom