Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

This is why the expeditions are my fav way of starting a new game. Keep the excitement but skip the boring tutorial.
Totally agree. And it's different each time, especially this time. Apparently, Ex4 is a narrative, a story... damn it! With sandworms. And it looks like you can ride them... OMG. Hello Games gone done it again. Not long from now, the health department will declare NMS an addictive drug and HG keeps on getting you hooked.

But the grinding in the start is the most exciting part. :D

Actually, I have enjoyed restarting several times in the lifetime of NMS, and honestly, I get bored when I reach the "got everything" level. But the start, when you have nothing, is most fun. To me at least.
It is a fine line to tread. But I agree, very often the early game is the best part and you can see me very often restart a game dozens of times, then claim "is good game" even without maybe ever completing it (Divinity Original Sin 2 e.g., it's good - just too long for my taste, and now it sits on differend HDD and I dont bother anymore)

I have not looked at EX4* but in EX3 it wasn't like a complete new start - starting conditions were different, some things you knew / had already.

* 'Coz I am trying to work out why my controller bindings are different after today's update.

Starting conditions (trying to stream it - if I can survive the storms)

20211020155113_1.jpg

20211020155121_1.jpg

20211020155127_1.jpg

I think this update is brilliant. They must've planned it to release about the time of Dune. It's coming out next month, isn't it?

Frontiers was the only major patch that I didn't restart on, although I did attempt the expedition and got frustrated by the base spam.

Restarting from scratch is always the best part of these kinds of games. Once you achieve the status of "rich kid with nothing to do", it's hard to stay motivated on a save I find. Only solution is to restart and find a different way, or a different goal, or explore what's new in a patch (the tutorial has changed & been added to significantly over the years), etc. Otherwise, you may as well just play permanently in Creative mode.

I'll be trying out this expedition, and if / when 4.0 drops, I'll be restarting from scratch too.

Frontiers was the only major patch that I didn't restart on, although I did attempt the expedition and got frustrated by the base spam.

Restarting from scratch is always the best part of these kinds of games. Once you achieve the status of "rich kid with nothing to do", it's hard to stay motivated on a save I find. Only solution is to restart and find a different way, or a different goal, or explore what's new in a patch (the tutorial has changed & been added to significantly over the years), etc. Otherwise, you may as well just play permanently in Creative mode.

I'll be trying out this expedition, and if / when 4.0 drops, I'll be restarting from scratch too.
You're a brave player, I like my earned items too much to re-start from scrath. Although I may start another save from the beginning, we'll see, wait for a further update or two. ;)

I think this update is brilliant. They must've planned it to release about the time of Dune. It's coming out next month, isn't it?
The 2021 Dune allready part released. First half is already been to limited cinemas and Digital PPV... (HBO HBOmax)
Second half is not even been confirmed as funded yet...
UK is delayed to this Friday

Last edited:
The 2021 Dune allready part released. First half is already been to limited cinemas and Digital PPV... (HBO HBOmax)
Second half is not even been confirmed as funded yet...
UK is delayed to this Friday
Oh, was it released already. Totally missed that. We don't go to movie theaters anymore, and I haven't stayed in sync with movies coming out.

I just saw, release in our theaters on Friday. Haven't checked HBO max, so that'll something to do this weekend (if I'm not too busy with NMS Ex4).

Last edited:
You're a brave player, I like my earned items too much to re-start from scrath. Although I may start another save from the beginning, we'll see, wait for a further update or two. ;)

Bravery really has nothing to do with it. I play a save for 50 to 100 hours or so, get where I initially set out to get to, and then something shiny comes along and distracts me for a couple of months & then the save is 'stale'. I go back to it, and I don't know where I am or what I was doing at the time, but I know I have lots of money / nanites / resources and assorted bases (some finished, some abandoned).

Easier to just start again with a fresh slate. Plus, continuing old saves across patches sometimes has problems I'd rather not fight with in my down time.

This last save, I've done the Artemis quest to completion for the first time, built a living ship, got a settlement up to full capacity / productivity / happiness, built a pretty cool log cabin, and I'm generally 'done' now. Previous saves I've done the Atlas quest, companions, etc. I sometimes do much of Artemis and Atlas each time anyway, just because it gives a path to go to & explore... which is my main activity / money maker in this game.

It probably means I haven't done everything in the game yet... next save I may plan to get to the centre and visit another galaxy, but that could obviously change depending on what HG add to it in the next big patch.

Any items I desperately want that require major work to get... the NMS save editor works for that. But I rarely (if ever) use it.

Bravery really has nothing to do with it. I play a save for 50 to 100 hours or so, get where I initially set out to get to, and then something shiny comes along and distracts me for a couple of months & then the save is 'stale'. I go back to it, and I don't know where I am or what I was doing at the time, but I know I have lots of money / nanites / resources and assorted bases (some finished, some abandoned).

Easier to just start again with a fresh slate. Plus, continuing old saves across patches sometimes has problems I'd rather not fight with in my down time.

This last save, I've done the Artemis quest to completion for the first time, built a living ship, got a settlement up to full capacity / productivity / happiness, built a pretty cool log cabin, and I'm generally 'done' now. Previous saves I've done the Atlas quest, companions, etc. I sometimes do much of Artemis and Atlas each time anyway, just because it gives a path to go to & explore... which is my main activity / money maker in this game.

It probably means I haven't done everything in the game yet... next save I may plan to get to the centre and visit another galaxy, but that could obviously change depending on what HG add to it in the next big patch.

Any items I desperately want that require major work to get... the NMS save editor works for that. But I rarely (if ever) use it.
Looks exactly like my process. I've gone to another galaxy, but only one. I just wish I could name the save files. That way I could separate what I was doing or something. Also, I'd like to have a function to transfer over the bases, planets, and systems from the other save files (they're mine after all) into the one I'm currently playing. Basically merging, but not necessarily assets or blueprints, just the places.

Looks exactly like my process. I've gone to another galaxy, but only one. I just wish I could name the save files. That way I could separate what I was doing or something. Also, I'd like to have a function to transfer over the bases, planets, and systems from the other save files (they're mine after all) into the one I'm currently playing. Basically merging, but not necessarily assets or blueprints, just the places.

Agreed - it's my one bug bear with NMS; that you can't name save files. I mean, why not? It seems such a simple thing for them to add. :unsure:

I can see why merging bases between save files would be an issue, but yeah, it would be nice. :)

My Normal save is from day 1 of release, still playing it (still alive). I haven't been in my permadeath save for a few years now, not likely to go back either.
I like normal play, quiet and relaxing, I think I have everything I want, the vehicles, freighter, base & bits etc. But I don't use the freighter much other than to store my ships, I haven't called it for a very long time. My main base was built years back, not sure where it is, I could jump through a ring, but I'm not really into bases. Just travel and exploration.

I have been playing a bit today, sort of got back into it a little, won't last.

I just did a complete playthrough in survival mode, where you only get a 40th of the inventory in each slot, and if you die, you lose all your backpack inventory and can't recover it. I don't know if it was a bug or intended, but I couldn't use a portal even though I had all the glyphs and had done the full Artemis and Atlas story-lines. I was lucky to stumble across my favourite exotic early and a decent multi tool.

I've done the first leg of Expedition 4, and I thought it was pretty good. Experience from the first leg of Ex 3 was very useful, especially in respespect of making fast money. I made one big mistake, which actually turned out OK. When I was on my way to find my ship, I stumbled across another crashed ship, which I decided to claim for the money and nanites, but once I'd claimed it, the marker for my official one disappeared, as it only shows the marker for your present ship. In Ex3, we got an exotic ship to start with, so I was worried that I had effectively swapped it for a broken C-class shuttle, but I think the official ship turned up on my freighter, as there were three ships on it when I'd only had two. They were all mine because I scrapped two of them. The two that I'd been using were both shuttles. The third was a C-class Hauler, like above, which got melted down before I did anything with it

Tomorrow, I'll have to spend some time getting frigate modules to get the inventory teleporter thing. It's a bit dodgy using a shuttle with hardly any shields and no fire power. It reminds me of Odyssey. You have to sneak up to the freighters, identify any cargo pods with the modules in, shoot then run like he'll to the station before the sentinelsget you. It's a bit different to my fully-loaded ships, where I just blast everything on the freighters and the sentinels and steal everything in sight. After that, I'll do the leg 2 milestones, one of which is to get burnt.

As a spoiler, you can shoot the big worms that rear up at you with the gun provided. I think you have to shoot about 30 of them for one of the later milestones, so you might as well do a few along the way. You also have to steal a load (11?) of whispering eggs, so get them when the opportunity arises.

I made one big mistake, which actually turned out OK. When I was on my way to find my ship, I stumbled across another crashed ship, which I decided to claim for the money and nanites, but once I'd claimed it, the marker for my official one disappeared, as it only shows the marker for your present ship. In Ex3, we got an exotic ship to start with, so I was worried that I had effectively swapped it for a broken C-class shuttle, but I think the official ship turned up on my freighter, as there were three ships on it when I'd only had two. They were all mine because I scrapped two of them. The two that I'd been using were both shuttles. The third was a C-class Hauler, like above, which got melted down before I did anything with it

Fyi, a tip... you can summon any or all of your ships to your current location from the bottom menu. On PC it's x (menu) -> Summon Vehicles -> Select Other Ship.

Exp 4 has again forced me to do a lot of what I would call rubbish parts of the game as it again relies on luck of where you drop on a planet...
Being in the correct part and day time... boo
Travel time if you were to land in the wrong place has again been a drag and the planet archive not showing up on "chart" usage is really annoying as instead you get every other active settlement instead of the "planet archive"... argh...

.... I just wish I could name the save files. That way I could separate what I was doing or something. ...

Agreed - it's my one bug bear with NMS; that you can't name save files. I mean, why not? It seems such a simple thing for them to add. :unsure:

I agree about this naming saves thing. The other thing is your character name in the game - I see it is just my steam "alias" but I see other players with really long names or names that look to be specific to what they are doing in the game now. Maybe those are not playing via steam but I can't imagine you would want to create a new steam login just to change to a specific character name for one game.

Oh different starting setting is not so bad. I doubt I know the game good enough to use and push for a goal for expeditions. Irc you need the stuff currency for the upgrades wossname. The alien on the right at the Anomaly base gives them when you hand in scans and discoveries. No idea how to farm it. I just played short term goals: Like get beacon mission, factory thing. Find stuff to unlock base build stuff. Complete tutorial. Finish story mission. Discover weird stuff. OK, go to nother galaxy was kinda long term goal.
So you need different save in order to have starting situation tweaked - that makes sense now.

Top Bottom