Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I agree about this naming saves thing. The other thing is your character name in the game - I see it is just my steam "alias" but I see other players with really long names or names that look to be specific to what they are doing in the game now. Maybe those are not playing via steam but I can't imagine you would want to create a new steam login just to change to a specific character name for one game.

Remember cross play exists, so not only are many people you might encounter not playing on Steam, they're not even on PC.

Also, folk do create multiple Steam / PSN / Xbox accounts for specific games. Too much faff for me though. 🤷‍♀️

So due to Steams rather draconian refund policy, any game has a total of 1hr 55mins to grab an interest. NMS failed that for me. Uninstalled and refunded. I don't need to to understand everything (frankly I'd rather not) in the short period of time, but I do need a hook. Something, anything to grab me and say "Yeah, this could be fun" If then after 4-5hrs I still can't play then I can chalk it to as a failed experiment and move on.

I may revisit in a year or two but for now, hopefully everyone else can enjoy the game :)

So due to Steams rather draconian refund policy, any game has a total of 1hr 55mins to grab an interest. NMS failed that for me. Uninstalled and refunded. I don't need to to understand everything (frankly I'd rather not) in the short period of time, but I do need a hook. Something, anything to grab me and say "Yeah, this could be fun" If then after 4-5hrs I still can't play then I can chalk it to as a failed experiment and move on.

I may revisit in a year or two but for now, hopefully everyone else can enjoy the game :)
Sometimes like that with games, isn't it. I wish they would give us 4hrs gameplay from steam, but we're lucky they gave us a couple of hours.
I'm playing with Battle Map Studio at the moment, just got the game. It's a kind of 'make your own rpg', interesting. I got to the 2hr mark and thought, no idea what I'm doing yet, but its just to interesting to refund for a £10.

Sometimes like that with games, isn't it. I wish they would give us 4hrs gameplay from steam, but we're lucky they gave us a couple of hours.
I'm playing with Battle Map Studio at the moment, just got the game. It's a kind of 'make your own rpg', interesting. I got to the 2hr mark and thought, no idea what I'm doing yet, but its just to interesting to refund for a £10.
Anything would be better than 2hrs. Answer the door, let dog out, nip to the loo. All of a sudden steam is saying you've played for an hour and have only just about loaded into the main menu. Yes that is an exaggeration, but not always by much...

A bit of play from a few of days after release. Things have changed a little, but I still feel the early NMS is in places better.

(August 2016)
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y40QQrRWPA

About the only thing I miss from the early version of NMS is the giant Emeril penises.

That's a shame. What would make it fun for you, just out of interest? I only ask because it's not impossible that it's already in the game and you just didn't find it in that 1hr 55mins.

About the only thing I miss from the early version of NMS is the giant Emeril penises.

That's a shame. What would make it fun for you, just out of interest? I only ask because it's not impossible that it's already in the game and you just didn't find it in that 1hr 55mins.
Not easy to put into words but I'll try a comparison. Subnautica. I was on a space ship that crashed on a planet for unknown reasons and need to survive and escape. NMS. I'm on a planet. No clue why. After a bit I find I've crashed in a ship that I need to repair. Why am I only finding this out now?! It may of just needed an opening like Subnautica to help set the hook. As it was the hook was set just "wrong" for me.

Maybe if Steams refund time was a little less draconian I'd of persevered a little longer. Next time I try it ,I'll probably pick it up from GOG as they have a slightly more generous refund policy I believe (never used it so don't know for sure).

Not easy to put into words but I'll try a comparison. Subnautica. I was on a space ship that crashed on a planet for unknown reasons and need to survive and escape. NMS. I'm on a planet. No clue why. After a bit I find I've crashed in a ship that I need to repair. Why am I only finding this out now?!

Well, that's the key isn't it. You have no sense of a 'before'. Funny that... what could that possibly mean... :unsure: ;)

It may of just needed an opening like Subnautica to help set the hook. As it was the hook was set just "wrong" for me.

Maybe so. But it does make sense in an NMS context, which you'll discover if / when you give it another try.

In itself, it isn't actually that important - the real game starts when you get off planet the first time.

Maybe if Steams refund time was a little less draconian I'd of persevered a little longer. Next time I try it ,I'll probably pick it up from GOG as they have a slightly more generous refund policy I believe (never used it so don't know for sure).

We are kinda lucky to have that refund policy at all - but yes, GOG's is a bit better I believe. You have 30 days from date of purchase... no matter how much you might have played. I've had NMS since August 2016 though and I still play it, so it does make sense in a way...

Well, that's the key isn't it. You have no sense of a 'before'. Funny that... what could that possibly mean... :unsure: ;)

Maybe so. But it does make sense in an NMS context, which you'll discover if / when you give it another try.

In itself, it isn't actually that important - the real game starts when you get off planet the first time.

We are kinda lucky to have that refund policy at all - but yes, GOG's is a bit better I believe. You have 30 days from date of purchase... no matter how much you might have played. I've had NMS since August 2016 though and I still play it, so it does make sense in a way...
So what may of helped would of been a simple piece of dialogue. "Crumbs my head hurts what the hell happened, how did I get here". Now we're dangling a hook in the water. Don't you want to know what happened and how you got here....don't you want to find out who/what did this to you? Come on bite the hook, look its shiny and very tasty....

Without those words or something similar it just looks like they plonked you down on a random world without rhyme or reason.

So what may of helped would of been a simple piece of dialogue. "Crumbs my head hurts what the hell happened, how did I get here". Now we're dangling a hook in the water. Don't you want to know what happened and how you got here....don't you want to find out who/what did this to you? Come on bite the hook, look its shiny and very tasty....

Without those words or something similar it just looks like they plonked you down on a random world without rhyme or reason.

Once you start the process of repairing your ship, and for the duration of that part at least, this is precisely what happens in the game. You're encouraged to find out who you are, why you're there, and how it is that you don't remember anything. 🤷‍♀️

Clearly 2 hours is not enough time for everyone to discover this about the game, and you'd be better off on GOG, I agree. In short, you didn't give it long enough.

I haven't done the standard start in a while, but I thought it was giving you missions in the lower right corner. And if you follow those, you should be able to get the ship of the ground. It can be a challenge, yes, but I thought there was a bit of hints going on.

EXP4 done...
Found a trade terminal that sold navigation data in the thosuands purchased 100.. went to station got 50 planet charts...
Activated 3 more and finaly got the archive to show in system... finaly....

What eggsactly have I released on my poor settlement... lol...
FCPjsM9X0AkN0hI

I haven't done the standard start in a while, but I thought it was giving you missions in the lower right corner. And if you follow those, you should be able to get the ship of the ground. It can be a challenge, yes, but I thought there was a bit of hints going on.
Getting the ship of the ground wasn't exactly tricky, I just had no idea why I was doing it. I Had just started to build my first base when I realised a) I was nearly out of my 2 hours window and b)I have no clue what the reason is I'm doing this.

Getting the ship of the ground wasn't exactly tricky, I just had no idea why I was doing it. I Had just started to build my first base when I realised a) I was nearly out of my 2 hours window and b)I have no clue what the reason is I'm doing this.
Well, it's not a story driven game. There's no narrative except for your own. It's an open world, do whatever you want, kind'a game. There's a couple of stories you can follow by activating them in the log, but otherwise it's more like Minecraft in space.

Well, it's not a story driven game. There's no narrative except for your own. It's an open world, do whatever you want, kind'a game. There's a couple of stories you can follow by activating them in the log, but otherwise it's more like Minecraft in space.
If there's no story then why is there a story mode? Which is what I started.

EDIT: I may of misread Normal mode slightly :D
2nd EDIT: https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Game_mode#Comparison seems to say there is a story,,,,,,

Last edited:

2nd EDIT: https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Game_mode#Comparison seems to say there is a story,,,,,,

There is a story, but it's not story driven. You can follow it, or you can completely ignore it... it's your choice. You want to know why you're there and what the point is - follow the story. Or just play the game.

You make your own story, as Han says. 🤷‍♀️

'Normal' mode is just the same as every other mode, except things are balanced to make it less severe than Survival or Permadeath (but not as easy as Creative).

Last edited:

Yeah... I don't know of a "story" mode. But there are some story quests you can follow in the game: the base building story with hiring NPCs, center of the galaxy, anomaly, living ships, and Artemis. Certain things trigger different ones. And then you have missions, but they're not very complicated. On the same level as Elite. Now, the Expedition is more story, like the new one. Expedition 4 is about you hunting the source of the new sand worm pest in the universe.

Fyi, a tip... you can summon any or all of your ships to your current location from the bottom menu. On PC it's x (menu) -> Summon Vehicles -> Select Other Ship.
FYI, a tip. You can't summon a ship with broken launch thrusters and broken pulse drive. Was the first ship you found broken?

Top Bottom