The OFFICIAL "Wow, that was humiliating, I can't believe I just did that, let's tell EVERYONE" total facepalm thread!

So - You KNOW it happens. It happens all the time. Whether you're Harmless or Elite, you make those boneheaded mistakes that leave you covering your face in your hands and shaking your head.

Yep - THOSE moments. :ROFLMAO:
Let's share stories and compare notes on who's the biggest dingus at that one particular moment.

I'll start.
I've got tons in the bank, but I've been blasting ships at a CNB for over a week now, and I'm bored with seeing ships go 'pop'. I figured I'd relax a bit and engage in a little VO mining because heck - why have 60 rebuys if I can have 100?
So - since I'm WAY out here on the rim of the Bubble, I first have to fly inwards to reach a station that has what I need. Not TOO bad; only about 12 jumps. I take my time - I'm pretty good at VO mining and have it down pat. I swap one of my lvl-5 engineered size 2 MG's for a Seismic Charger, one of my 1's (lvl 5 as well) for an A-Blaster and actually THIS TIME remembered the DSS! (pats myself on the back.)
I took out the fuel scoop, put in a couple of massive cargo racks, installed a Prospector Controller (I've forgotten THAT too) and even - amazingly - remembered to load up with 200 Limpets. I'm GOOD!

Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump; off I go out of the Bubble; I like VO mining beyond inhabited space. 14 jumps and I find an AMAZING system with 6 Pristine icy ring planets with - once I scan 'em - VO Hotspots out the hoo-ha. NICE!

I drop into one; while I arm guns and keep careful watch for a few minutes, I'm out of the Bubble so I know I'm not getting NPC's visiting - but I remain cautious. Finally, I'm ready to start pulsing so after turning off the FSD and a couple of Shield Boosters (even with a 7A reactor this thing is a HUGE energy hog) I pulse away.
It wasn't even a MINUTE. I looked over my left shoulder and there was a 'cauliflower'-type asteroid shining so brightly I was amazed. Turning to approach it, the PWA revealed HUGE black fissure readings. Lovely - I've almost NEVER seen such a perfect asteroid. I popped off a prospector, closed to 500m and there we go - VO core!
The best part was it was stationary - no rotation at all! Luvverly.
I set charges, and again it was a perfect set - all cursors in the blue; not one over or under. I pulled back to 2KM and watched while she blew. 15 chunks released; bloody near 20 still affixed. This was EASILY one of the best rocks I've ever fractured.
I abrade the chunks off, release limpets and...
and...
uh...
Limpets? Uh - were you planning to do anything?
The little drones hung below my ship, not moving.
Hey, LIMPETS!

Confused, I looked down my module list. Nothing was wrong!
Cargo space, both limpet controllers, all scanners yep!
Uh...refinery?
Refinery? I scanned down the list.

Yup - I forgot the refinery.
Ergh.

OK - your turn!

I took an assassinate pirate lord mission. I went to the signal source, and found my target. He wasnt wanted. No matter, I say, I'll just kill him anyway. I'm already here.
This resulted in a bounty against me from the faction that issued the mission, and when I went to turn it in I realized I couldnt even do that because I was locked out. So I went to an interstellar factors like a bajillion ly away, and they couldnt help me either because I hadn't waited 12 hours or whatever. So I stopped playing for a while figuring when I picked up the game again I'd be able to clear my name. So I come back a week later and forget all about it. See that I have a mission that I never turned in a bajillion ly away, go there, and I'm locked out. I never cleared my bounty!

Another time, back in the day when missions would just give you cargo you never asked for, I kept getting chased by pirates. It was a real pain in the bum. After months of this, my buddy is testing his weapons on me and breaks my cargo hatch. dozens and dozens of containers come out. He's all "Uh, I didnt fail a mission for you or anything, did I?" and I check my hold- it is nearly full of over a hundred tons of useless mission rewards. I never bothered checking.

Last edited:
Friday evening i built my VO mining python after doing a couple of 100T runs using my AspX. I get to the rings i was using and blast open a core only to find that i'd gone and packed the wrong pants in my case, instead of an abrasion blaster i kitted out the damn missiles instead so limped back to station with my measly 10 opals and 60 limpets.

Sad but true.

I had just purchased a Cutter, I gutted it entirely and stacked it with cargo racks. I took on a a wing cargo mission. It worked out something like 9 runs between 2 systems (though that turned out to be 2 jumps loaded, 1 jump unloaded), 13mcr. No shields, no auto dock, numerous interdictions, on run 7 I got the damn thing stuck in the mail slot. Dead. Mission failed. Rebuy. Gutted. Not really a facepalm but equally humiliating.

I went to Farseer a week ago in my newly outfitted and engineered Viper mk3, to be a mosquito and annoy the gankers. Sure enough a well known griefer was there with his friend, so I got to work speeding about, making myself hard to hit. So anyway, I didn't make myself hard to hit enough and they got my shield down at one point, so I zoomed off into the sky almost perpendicular to the planet and quickly outranged them to get a shield recharge (super fast biweave), dude even commed me 'too fast, please come back! lol', so I thought hm, when I turn around I'm gonna get railed in short order, so I'll zoom straight down at the base, so that if they miss me they hit the base, and I'll boost right before I hit the ground. So I boost, FA off, toward the planet and it's all going great, I go zooming past them both without taking a further hit and I'm hurtling toward the base. I know the Viper has enough acceleration that one boost will stop me hitting the surface. I turn back toward them, just as they land a couple of hits on me and the shield goes down again, now I need the boost, 'click'. Nothing. 'Click!'. Nothing. 'It was at this moment that Johnny knew he had messed up'. Splat. Embarrassing. 😁

Kids, don't forget to recharge your eng cap if you plan to do maneuvers. o7

Last edited:

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Mining for the CG over the last couple of days and a few times I had come across Core asteroids but was only set up for normal mining. Yesterday I decided to take along the necessary equipment for core mining in case I found more. While I was mining, I kept seeing red spots which would pulsate for a while then appear to 'pop'. I didn't pay much attention to them apart from vaguely wondering what they were. Then I noticed an 'out of ammo' indication on my HUD - and realised I had mapped my seismic charger to the same key as the lasers!

On PS4, the circle ⭕️ button fires the ships boosters when pressed quickly. When held down you can use the D-Pad to select cargo scoop, landing gear etc.

So many times on docking it thinks I’m tapping the button and launches me into the back end of an Orbis or Coriolis.... “Warning, Landing Gear Not Deployed!” Exclaims my COVAS. “Warning, do not block the landing pads!” or something to that end echoes inside the station for all to hear...

Pain...Rebuy....Minor bounty...

Fly PS4 Safe commanders, remember the dreaded circle ⭕️ of doom....

I was flying in a ring around a neutron star, had my shields turned off to lower temps. A little later I switched over to browser to type something into a stream chat, forgot that I was going at full throttle, and few moments later smacked into an asteroid doing about Mach 1 🤷‍♂️

I'm unlocking Liz Ryder on my noob account.

Checked Inara to see what I need to get myself to grade 5 and I have everything I need except phosphorous. No worries, I can get that from the surface near her base.

Land about 10k from her base and try to deploy SRV. It's at that point I remember I swapped the SRV hanger for an extra cargo rack to carry landmines! 😖

I had just purchased a Cutter, I gutted it entirely and stacked it with cargo racks. I took on a a wing cargo mission. It worked out something like 9 runs between 2 systems (though that turned out to be 2 jumps loaded, 1 jump unloaded), 13mcr. No shields, no auto dock, numerous interdictions, on run 7 I got the damn thing stuck in the mail slot. Dead. Mission failed. Rebuy. Gutted. Not really a facepalm but equally humiliating.
I will never understand how people get the cutter stuck. Its so easy to dock a toddler could do it.

I once turned my thruster off to reapir them in deep space while in supercruise :(

Top Bottom