The ONE reason I don't enjoy exploration... :(

I don't mind the animation - it's the sound. 5000+ systems on my main 2000+ on my alt. Trickle boom trickle boom. It is annoying. At least there is some variability in the the animation. Couldn't there be variation in the sound - possibly related to the type of gravity well you're jumping to? Anything but trickle boom trickle boom trickle boom.

Don't get me started on the honk. UGH! Couldn't the honk be a blend of tones based on the bodies in the system? Honk Honk Honk. It's right up there with tasty cargo. Ok Ok time for my OCD meds...

Couldn't there be variation in the sound - possibly related to the type of gravity well you're jumping to?

Ah no.

The point of Hyperspace is to AVOID crashing into gravity wells.

That usually tends to involve your ship being dragged out of hyperspace INSIDE the mass of the object in question. Usually resulting in instant death.

You don't want to be jumping into a gravity well.

If anything a change in sound means something just went horribly wrong and unless I react quickly enough. I'm dead.

The base honk noise makes sense due to it being the transmitting pulse. Though the idea of a return ping sounding different depending on what it bounced off of would be nice.

giphy.gif
I never liked the hyper space animation... too bad it couldn't look more like this...

Obviously you don't like flying around the bubble either then. Oh wait, Witchspace around the bubble is different is it!!!

MAybe you should have titled the thread ... 'Why I don't like moving systems' instead.

What do you want, unicorns and rainbows?

The question of the repetitive nature of the sequence cropped up in another thread recently. I certainly think that you could do something more varied and interesting with it.

I'd be interested to hear more about the proposed science behind it. “Hyperspace jumps rely on the properties of quantum mechanics.” Does entanglement play a role?

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace

“Many pilots have reported glimpsing inexplicable lights, and even structures, within the witch-space tunnels.” In this context, the current effort doesn't strike me as particularly imaginative or ambitious.

[video=youtube;ou6JNQwPWE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0[/video]

Last edited:
At the very least, I would have created generative, probabilistic sequences. At least there would be some variation. You can create really interesting things with GLSL shaders for example.

Hey

I can type with different type styles too ....

for impact ! [big grin]

OP ... Wait till you are hyperdicted by the aliens ...... now that's really :eek:S C A R Y !

The jump can get a little tedious if you do a lot. Can't say I mind the current loading screen, but if jumping a lot wouldn't say no to some variation. :)

The jump can get a little tedious if you do a lot. Can't say I mind the current loading screen, but if jumping a lot wouldn't say no to some variation. :)

No, taken and judged by itself I don’t hate it either, but I tend to start dribbling and twitching at around the 150 repetitions mark. I play in VR though, so maybe the accumulative effect is exaggerated.

Last edited:
I don't like all the 'stars' in witchspace. I think it would look much better without the stars, but a whole lot more clouds. Those creepy single points of light that drift around can stay.

Edit: My reasoning is this: regular space has stars in the background. Witch-space should be distinctive and quite different to regular space. Regular space doesn't have clouds. So stars in regular space, clouds in witch-space.

Last edited:
Sparkly and glowing?

They made that movie already. It's called 'Twilight'.

No thanks. Lets keep it like it is.

Marshmallows, sugar cookies, salty salt mountain pink. Bro, you've got to braben your horizons...

This is the pun I never knew I was waiting forever to use, but then I used it and knew. I hope you appreciate it as much as I do.

Last edited:
If you don't like the h-jump tunnel, just close your eyes.
I think it looks fine.
Actually it's been better in an earlier version IMO but basically pretty good.

Can't imagine it's enough to stop you exploring or h-jumping.

I suppose it could try going all fluffy, trippy pink elephants. If the physics are to be considered, it's unlikely human senses could make any sense of it anyway.
:)

Witch space is fine the first few times. Some variety would be nice.

That could actually be very interesting.
Perhaps there could be different circumstances in Witch space, like weather, and this could be represented with different effects and colourings.
Sometimes it might have an effect on your ship too. It should not be crippling of course.

Top Bottom