Modes The Open v Solo v Groups thread IV - Hotel California

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Elite Dangerous is an online game that allows players to play in three potential 'modes':

1. Online ALL group (called open play) where the player is in the same universe as all other players and can see and be seen by all others in open play
  2. Online PRIVATE GROUP play where the player is online in the same universe as all other players but will only ever see and be seen by others in the same private group
  3. Online SOLO play where the player is in the same universe as all other players, but will see no humans (essentially a private group of one).
All players have an effect on the background simulation regardless of mode they play in or which platform they play on, and can switch between groups at will without penalty or change to their character's statistics.

This thread is for discussing issues around the Solo, Open and Private Group modes and the different platforms. For a shorter summary of community opinions, see Vox Populi: how do you think modes affect community goals? (only one post allowed per user, as discussed in the first post). Please do not create new threads about the modes of play - they always turn into repeats of the same discussion, so will be closed and redirected to here.

Powerplay
A separate thread has been created for brainstorming ideas to encourage players to Powerplay in Open. Any discussion on the modes in general, the shared galaxy state or mode-switching in that thread will end up being moved into this thread.

Important rules for this thread

The forum rules apply as usual in this thread, but we'd like to highlight some specific points:

• Stay polite and topic. Baiting, insulting or swearing will result in a direct infraction. No warnings, no nice private messages. Baiting includes dead horse references, use of the words "easy mode" or "carebear", accusations of griefing, and picture spam.
  • Please do not indulge in pejorative comments about players from *any* of the platforms on which the game has been, or will be (or even might be), released
  • Remember how hard it is to read emotion on the Internet. For example, make sure to show your respect for people when disagreeing about whether the group system disqualifies this game as an MMO
  • For technical reasons, this thread will be closed and another opened if it goes over 10,000 posts (see the previous thread). This is a server limitation, not a comment about how contentious the thread is at that point
  • If you feel a post violates the forum rules, click "report this post" and do not reply

What do Frontier think about the modes?

Frontier have been thinking about modes since the earliest stages of development. A FAQ item from the original Kickstarter states in part:

Original Kickstarter FAQ said:
We have the concept of “groups”. They can be private groups just of your friends or open groups (that form part of the game) based on the play styles people prefer, and the rules in each can be different. Players will begin in the group “All” but can change groups at will, though it will be possible to be banned from groups due to antisocial behaviour, and you will only meet others in that group.

This was eventually codified in the design team's "groups" proposal, which was the basis for the grouping system in the game today.

David Braben also discussed modes during the game's development, for example:

There are also some developer comments in the original version of this thread - you can see them by clicking here then clicking the Frontier icon in the top-right of each developer post to see the next developer post in the thread.

Here are some relevant developer posts from around the forums:

Will at any time solo and private group play be separated into a different universe/database from open play? It's kind of cheap that you can be safe from many things in solo, like player blockades and so on, and still affect the same universe.

No.

Michael

Thanks for that clarity Michael.

Are you in a position to confirm that group switching between the three game modes will remain as a feature of the game?
We're not planning on changing that.

Michael

Hi Micheal

I know you said that solo/group and open will always use the same universe, can you also say that there will be no specific perks in playing in one mode over another? i.e bigger profit from trading in open or bigger bounties?
None are planned at the moment.

Michael

Hello Commander Demiga!
Seriously, it annoys people. Solo has every right to do community goals - Yes, I get that there is an "unfair advantage" for solo players working a community goal VS. an open player.

Its a very easy fix by FDEV - Make it so that when a Solo/Private Group player turns in a bond for 30k (example) they get 30k in cash, but it only counts as..15k towards the community goal

Wheras the Open players can turn in the same 30k Bond, Receive the same 30k in cash, but it counts as 30k towards the community goal.

Its not so much about not letting this group do that with this, but just make the values weighted differently. Open, it is much harder to make that 30k than it is in solo, so it should be worth x times as much for the goal.

Is this a viable solution for anyone?

For anyone that can see my signature, I am an avid player of Solo/Group - but I really do hear, understand, and mostly agree with what the solo players are saying. I do want to start playing in open at some point. If anyone can give me a good reason as to why this wont work or help, then please explain...

P.S. I say very easy fix by FDEV, but honestly I have no idea. The concept is simple though ;)

Edit - Sorry if anyone was offended by my tone or by the wording I used - had just read a very.....anger inducing thread about completely removing solo mode - Wont happen again :D - also - I want to reiterate that I fully support both SOLO and OPEN modes, and I believe there can be a great solution so everyone is happy in the end - aka this solution ;)

Edit 2 - Again - I need to reiterate to everyone - This doesnt hurt anyone's personal finances, everyone will still make the same amount when they turn in a bond, everyone will still rank up within the community goal the same (top 70%, top 40%, top 15% etc) - The only thing this does is add a separate advantage to players who want to play in open - This allows them to affect an overall goal better than a solo player. This goal would be a NEW feature added in game if something like this goes through - It doesnt hurt the "advantage" of playing solo either - It really is a WIN-WIN compromise - I believe and fully support all 3 modes....

This is something that I'm considering.

There won't be any changes in the immediate future (our time is fairly booked up right now), but on face value it certainly seems plausible and maybe reasonable to me. I'll need to chew it over some more, obviously. I *believe* a change like this would be possible though (again, I'd have to verify that with team server).

Comments on this would be welcome.

Oh, but obviously, Commander Demiga, let's try and keep the temperature at a reasonable level :) . Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, as long as they do so politely.

Hello Commander jp josh!
how bout no....

i would like npc in wings to coordinate better in solo and wings of them be more common/hire our own wing to with our spare ships before we take your idea (for combat oriented goals)

for trading make pirates not just interdict but wait for you outside the station again we need to flesh out wings and ai a bit more.

exploring still exploring i don't want to see any type of reduction for explores community goals.

however i am open to the idea of boosting open play bonuses (when in that mode you get a 25% boost to all round profit but the number contributed stays the same)

id also like more range of community goals. (smuggling) where bigger ships are more of a hindrance than helpful so that way players in early ships can actually help rather than add pocket change. (friend tried to help in lugh even though all he had was a adder)

We've hopefully got a fix for Capital ship farming exploits lined up (provisionally for 1.3, but no guarantee).

What I took from Commander Demiga's suggestion was that there might be a consensus that activities carried out in solo mode are "safer/unfair" as there is no chance for other Commanders to oppose them.

I'm not going to take a side at the moment, because I'd like to consider it more.

It could definitely be seen as an attempt to entice folk into playing open, though if the personal rewards remained unchanged I'm not sure that this would be an utter evil.

Fundamentally, Community goals are about Commanders working together, in concert or in opposition. It does not seem completely unreasonable that for such elements we might encourage direct interaction more.

On the other hand, I'm wary of the precedent this might set, and want to make sure that solo mode always fulfils all the requirements it needs to, remaining the completely valid option that it is.

So this is something we would not consider lightly.

Hello Commander Jerakeen!
No, definitely not. Play your own way they said. Well if they punish me for playing my own way then I'll be very irritated. Why should I have to do twice as much to qualify for goal awards just because I choose not to expose myself to being mugged by Johnny McPewPew for my lunch money.

Seriously Sandro. Stop considering this. Very many of your players choose to play in solo and in groups. You'll be upsetting a very large section of the player base.

Possibly I could attempt a counter that suggests at the moment it is unfair against open play mode - you have more risks and challenges but only get the same rewards.

I take your point though.

Possibly, community goal thresholds, when it came to determining where each player sits, could be adjusted to ensure that solo players' actual amounts were considered, which I *think* would prevent any loss of goal rewards.

Like I said though, we'll need to chew over this some more when we get the time. Nothing is going to happen right away.

Hello Commander Demiga!
Sandro - Please read my edit in the original post regarding the tempurature - I apologize for that...was very heated atm lol

Thanks for the reply though - its just if you look at the core of all these issues,its that open mode is harder, so what is the incentive for a CMDR to play in open when they can farm in solo? Well, obviously, you cant make the bounties worth different amounts, that would absolutely enrage everyone.

So why not - in your Personal opinion, what would be some reasons as to why this wouldnt work?

Don't worry, no harm, no foul, it was just a helpful reminder! :)

I can't give you my considered opinions just yet because, well, I need a little more time to consider them! :)

But this is clearly an interesting debate, on both sides of the fence, so we will revisit it at a later date.

FuzzySpider
The mechanics of powerplay, particularly the interface between player and power being an almost direct copy of the community goal model, gives the entire experience an MMO-guild type feel to the gameplay.

Is this MMO-style a new direction for Elite: Dangerous? Or will you be still focussing on the single player immersive experience, even if that single player is playing in a universe filled with other players?

Thank's very much to you and the FDev team for all of your efforts. One or two subjective niggles of mine aside the game is the one I've been waiting for for years and I'm totally enamoured with it.

We are supporting multiplayer and the solo experience. Community Goals are carrying on too.

In the newsletter, it was mentioned that an intersection between a trading power and a military power will result in piracy missions.

Will this make NPC piracy more profitable or will we continue to need to focus on players?

It can be more profitable, and it will apply to both players and NPCs.

For fun :)

That said, it could be worth thinking about reducing the impact that solo & group players have on the political simulation.

Unlike community goals, Powerplay is a swinging balance - ie solo players are also balancing solo players.

FuzzySpider said:
The mechanics of powerplay, particularly the interface between player and power being an almost direct copy of the community goal model, gives the entire experience an MMO-guild type feel to the gameplay.

Is this MMO-style a new direction for Elite: Dangerous? Or will you be still focussing on the single player immersive experience, even if that single player is playing in a universe filled with other players?

Thank's very much to you and the FDev team for all of your efforts. One or two subjective niggles of mine aside the game is the one I've been waiting for for years and I'm totally enamoured with it.

We are supporting multiplayer and the solo experience. Community Goals are carrying on too.

From an interview between DBOBE and Arstechnica at E3:2015:

.... Producer Ben Dowie reiterated that Xbox One and PC players won’t be playing head-to-head—although they’ll be playing in the same simulated universe, they’ll never encounter each other in space, likely because Microsoft’s Xbox patch cycle adds complexity to Frontier’s game update procedure.

I pointed out that there’s frequent contention online about the “right” way to play, be it casual or hard-core, and Braben agreed. “But there shouldn’t be a ‘right’ way,” he said. “You should do what makes you excited. I don’t want there to be a ‘right’ way, because then you’re not necessarily playing the way you want to play. And people have come up with lots of suggestions, some of them very constructive and sensible, and we do listen, and people hopefully have seen that we’ve changed things and adjusted things, but not in a way—we hope!—to upset people. We’re doing it to make the game better!”

There are no changes planned to separate solo and online saves, and players will continue to inhabit the same shared galaxy whether they’re in solo or multiplayer—again, continuing with Braben’s contention that there’s no ‘right’ way to play.

Several of the links above were found by community members (special thanks go to Jockey79 whose post is replicated below). If you have more questions, please search the previous thread or search the previous previous thread.

See https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=216887&p=3310329&viewfull=1#post3310329 below for Jockey79's helpful wall'o'text.

Last edited:
Oh god not a party four ;-;

Jockey:

"Really, where are all the multiplayer PvE or Co-op PvE modes ?
They are not on my main menu... is it an extra or DLC ?

Because right now, the only real PvE mode is Solo, yet the game is sold with multiplayer, co-op and MMO tags.
Yet no PvE group mode - only an ad-hoc set up which your own group has proven, does not work and is not fit for purpose."

There is no strict PvP mode. CQC's content draws from little assets of the main game, but is not actually a representation of the main game's PvP. At least Solo mode is a complete representation of the main game's PvE.

Last edited:
Before we get in to Frontier promoting and defending the mode system and mode switching for Elite: Dangerous (plus other related information), a quick look at the history of; and tech used to bring you this game (explains why some things are not possible).

[video=youtube_share;EvJPyjmfdz0]https://youtu.be/EvJPyjmfdz0[/video]

Thanks to Roybe for for the link to the video.

The Wall of Information;

From the Kickstarter;

*And the best part - you can do all this online with your friends, or other "Elite" pilots like yourself, or even alone. The choice is yours...*
*you will be able to control who else you might encounter in your game – perhaps limit it to just your friends? Cooperate on adventures or chase your friends down to get that booty. The game will work in a seamless, lobby-less way, with the ability to rendezvous with friends
*Play it your way*
*Your reputation is affected by your personal choices. Play the game your way: dangerous pirate, famous explorer or notorious assassin - the choice is yours to make. Take on missions and affect the world around you, alone or with your friends.*
*You simply play the game, and depending on your configuration (your choice) *
*We have the concept of “groups”. They can be private groups just of your friends or open groups (that form part of the game) based on the play styles people prefer, and the rules in each can be different. Players will begin in the group “All” but can change groups at will,*

Some Dev comments from the Kickstarter;

attachment.php

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omment-1681441
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omment-1705397
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omment-1705551

The part about it being as much a MMO as CoD is already in your Wall of Text, the second KS post. His exact words were "I don't see this as an MMO in the traditional sense, unless you think of Call of Duty as an MMO."

About he not wanting to call it a MMO early on, well, besides that very post hinting at it, and the Kickstart page not using that term even once, I remember hearing it in old video interviews from the KS era. The "I don't see it as an MMO in the traditional sense" line came out quite a few times before fans managed to finally convince DB that Elite Dangerous, as pitched, would qualify as an actual MMO.

There are other interesting things to find in those old interviews. For example, just from the Gary Whitta interview with David Braben and Chris Roberts, you have:
(Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4)

As reference for the following quote, here is Chris Roberts speaking about the Star Citizen equivalent of this thread (part 3, 5:30):
"And the key is kind of what David alluded to, which I think it's a debate that David has with his community and it's a debate I have with my community because there is definitely this whole sort of PvP and PvE sort of factions that go on and they're all pretty rabid. And so I think, and I think David also believes that you can sort of create a game that can cater to both sets of players and it will be okay. But it certainly is, that is, I would say if I were going to give you a touchpaper to set up a fight with your community that's the one to do it."

The immediate follow up by DB about PvE groups (part 3, 6:01):
"Well, the discussions have come up already. We have this concept of groups where you can join a group which doesn't allow or does allow it on the user choice."

Or this about the kind of game DB would want to play (part 3, 7:09):
"You know, so what I would I want from a game? I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers, but having said that I do want there to be a feeling of risk out there."

Also this about what player interaction in ED was supposed to be about (part 3, 2:06):
"And so, I don’t mean necessarily every ship should be a player because then you get into a frame of mind that you can’t kill anything without really upsetting someone. I mean with Elite: Dangerous it’s still…a lot of the ships you encounter won’t be real players but we will call out, of the ships that you meet, who is a real player. We have a way of distinguishing them within the game. They’re actually part of this group of pilots that you’re part of and it will call out, above them say. Essentially what it means is “this is a real player,” but in the game fabric: “so this is a group who a member of the same organization as you.” We…you know, in other words we, we don’t want this game to be all about player vs. player kills, but the point is it encourages a lot of cooperation. And, it will be possible to do player vs. player kills if that’s what people want to do. "

From the forum archives;

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6300

All Players Group– Players in this group will be matched with each other as much as possible to ensure as many human players can meet and play together
Private Group – Players in this group will only be matched with other players in the same private group
Solo Group – Players in this group won’t be matched with anyone else ever (effectively a private group with no one else invited)
(All by a Lead Designer)

Also DB on Multiplayer and Grouping and Single (01:00 - 02:01) Plus how the Galaxy will evolve over time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5JY...kuz6s&index=18
"DB explicitly said that solo players would be able to do community goals, though back then they weren't called that. Dev Diary Video #2, at the 4:10 mark."

DB on "Griefing" and "Griefers"
(Listen out for the part where FD can move them in to a private group of just each other)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5hqjxmf4M

Rededit Topic on "unusual event for players to come against players" (Twitch Video now removed, YT link for it below)
http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangero...ayers_to_come/

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJzizYUEF9c EGX2014 Video, 30 minutes long)

Also, MMO does not mean "social" (It means lots of people connected)

Wikipedia;
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ.

Oxford English Dictionary (Online);
An online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously .

The Steam Store page;

attachment.php

Please note, "Single Player" and "Multiplayer" with "Co-op".
So not just an "MMO"

Dev comments;

Will at any time solo and private group play be separated into a different universe/database from open play? It's kind of cheap that you can be safe from many things in solo, like player blockades and so on, and still affect the same universe.

No.

Michael

Thanks for that clarity Michael.

Are you in a position to confirm that group switching between the three game modes will remain as a feature of the game?

We're not planning on changing that.

Michael

E3 2015 Interview (17th June 2015);

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...-david-braben/

arstechnica interview.jpg

PowerPlay AMA related links regarding Modes and Powerplay;

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106524&page=27&p=1663438#post1663438
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140032&page=22&p=2145448&viewfull=1#post2145448
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140032&page=25&p=2145528&viewfull=1#post2145528

The overall thread topic (+ How XB1 fits);

On that last point, Producer Ben Dowie reiterated that Xbox One and PC players won’t be playing head-to-head—although they’ll be playing in the same simulated universe, they’ll never encounter each other in space, likely because Microsoft’s Xbox patch cycle adds complexity to Frontier’s game update procedure. This means that PC players and Xbox players will often wind up on different clients, which means no head-to-head play. To that end, anticipated PC-centric features will likely land on PC first.

And regarding the game design;

I pointed out that there’s frequent contention online about the “right” way to play, be it casual or hard-core, and Braben agreed. “But there shouldn’t be a ‘right’ way,” he said. “You should do what makes you excited. I don’t want there to be a ‘right’ way, because then you’re not necessarily playing the way you want to play. And people have come up with lots of suggestions, some of them very constructive and sensible, and we do listen, and people hopefully have seen that we’ve changed things and adjusted things, but not in a way—we hope!—to upset people. We’re doing it to make the game better!”

To highlight something from that above quote;

“You should do what makes you excited. I don’t want there to be a ‘right’ way, because then you’re not necessarily playing the way you want to play."

Here is a quote from Zac Antonaci for the "game is dying" pro-claimers.
Dated 10th July 2015;

They need to be.

Look at the current posts on the subreddit and the forum. Your core player base is simply stopping playing. You might be selling copies but if your core community is splitting or stopping playing then you have a problem.
Hey Fred,

I wanted to reply to this honestly if I may.

I'm not going to be talking about active player numbers explicitally but I can tell you without question that the game has a very healthy and thriving community who enjoys hours upon hours of Elite. You really don't need to worry on that point.

<snip>

Zac

And a nice, clear, concise comment from Michael Brookes regarding the modes;

From the initial inception of the game we have considered all play modes are equally valid choices. While we are aware that some players disagree, this hasn't changed for us.

Michael
Dev Update 6th August 2015 (https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/248);

Dev Update (6th Aug 2015) Last Paragraph said:
What we are doing is new in many ways, both technically and in terms of how we are realizing our long term ambitions for Elite Dangerous. As we evolve the game we are trying to give the best value we can to both existing and new players, for the long term benefit of everyone. That’s why we’ve worked hard to keep backwards compatibility for the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season, and are continuing to release updates for ‘season one’ players. Everyone will continue to fly in the same galaxy, and be impacted by, participate in and help to drive the same events.
(I added the bold / underline in the quote to highlight the last line)

Reddit AMA from X-Box One launch, in relation to the Back Ground Simulation and Modes;
https://np.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3nlmdg/its_frontier_developments_developers_of_elite/

attachment.php

^^ So PC/Mac and X-Box One impact the same live simulation, but cannot actually play together or see each other.

attachment.php

^^ X-Box One also has "Solo Mode" and is recommended by FD Devs for when you do not want to play with other people.

Horizons Live Stream;
(RE: Question about ED being an MMO)

DB was asked a question "Is Elite and MMORPG?" in the LiveStream tonight.

[video=youtube_share;RdP1DmRYco8]https://youtu.be/RdP1DmRYco8[/video]

He answered it like this:

19:42
"Well I think the problem is this: Different people mean different things by saying MMOs, you know. I think we're massive (19:53) by most measures, in terms of we have a lot of people playing, all at the same time. We have instancing, but then you know so does every other or every MMO out there. (20:10) The case, you know, you look at the way Warcraft does it. Now the case is (20:15) where do you set the number. So currently it's you know around 32 players in a session plus NPCs and all that sort of thing. (20:23) You know we could go higher if it weren't for the NPCs, we could go higher if people had perfect network connections. You know if we had a LAN we could go way higher. You know this is the point. (20:31) And it's a case of balancing the experience and also how much data you have to exchange. You know it's a quality of the experience that I expect over time we will increase it.

"But are we an MMO? I think we are by all measures."

Ed speaks and then David adds:

"It's not an RPG in a sense that (21:09) you increase your personal stats but a lot of people play it as a role playing game. I think if that's what you want it to be then so it is I suppose. I don't think it really matters. Someone said 'That's a silly question. Such a waste of time.' Well there you go."

Engineers Live Stream;

[video=youtube;n7tGV7VVlhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7tGV7VVlhE[/video]

Last edited:
I....
Play Solo to test new setups, if the servers are playing up, if I just want to be alone...
Play Private to be with just my friends, we fancy some fun together and we don't want to be disturbed...
Play Open 95% of the time, I'm a PvE player that loves the risk of interacting with real people, I love the long periods of seeing no one and then coming across another CMDR and all of the joy/panic/curiosity that brings...
-
If any of the game modes were changed and sectioned off you would essentially be damaging the way I like to play, so no thanks but cheers for asking :)

There isnt an Open PVP mode. There is an OPEN mode, where PVP is possible, and it has been from the outset. CQC isnt part of the game, its just something where those interested in arranged combat can go. Im not one of those players, if I want arranged combat with no penalties or loss, ill go play world of warships (letothule there, if anyone wants to group up). Even if you are taking CQC as catering to PVP pilots -- what about the open players who dont want their universe affected by group or solo mode? When do they get THEIR wishes?

Given time zones and the instancing, never, you see the problem with 'oh noes solo/groups are influencing my galaxy, it sucks' is that you still do not solve the problem, people will still run blockades, in other instances or when players are sleeping, same for power players, same for open pvp'ers designated 'no go areas'. Simply put, lets pretend for a second it happens, solo and group stop influencing your galaxy, what next?, do we ban xbone players, ban time zones, players from other countries, petition Frontier to have a strictly server/client set up? The open you want/would be left with would be so devoid of anyone as to be pointless. So, please tell me, where does it stop?

(quoted taken from previous incarnation)

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jockey79
Because there is an Open PvP Mode, Group PvP mode and a combat arena called CQC - PvP'ers have been catered to sufficiently.
Now it's time for PvE'ers to get their wishes, the ability to play multiplayer/ Co-op PvE.

There isnt an Open PVP mode. There is an OPEN mode, where PVP is possible, and it has been from the outset. CQC isnt part of the game, its just something where those interested in arranged combat can go. Im not one of those players, if I want arranged combat with no penalties or loss, ill go play world of warships (letothule there, if anyone wants to group up). Even if you are taking CQC as catering to PVP pilots -- what about the open players who dont want their universe affected by group or solo mode? When do they get THEIR wishes?

Edit -- cross posted from prior thread.

I wrote something in the closed thread before and a guy just claimed that im funny :)

First of all thanks for being mature!

Let me repeat what i told before.
If a 4 cdmr wing, starts to keep the instance for their selves and kills everybody in a RES, then it means that in the whole galaxy no one is not allowed to play in this area!
So its reserved for those 4 guys...
When i played both of the HAZ RES and the High RES were closed to others that moment.
There were only wings.
Would you try to get inside of these commanders and try to farm in this extraction site combating these 4 ships?
I did! But wasn't allowed to make it happen.

Then after my death i started to look for Extraction systems. (no, i'm not noting down where there are high-low res)
So i dropped in some empty systems there and nothing was worth it.
And closed the game. (That was my sunday gameplay)

This is just a game, i don't know how you play, (dont care really) how serious you take this???
But i play 1 hour or max. 2, and close the game!

I don't have that patience. I don't have much time for this. This is all virtual!
And when i'll start "not getting the fun out of it" ill quit the whole game!
Isn't the playing about having fun?
All i told that is "something is not fun" about this game.
That's all!

"This game requires a new open mode for non pvp players" means
The same galaxy, but not the same instance!
Maybe you could select a game mode under your "functions menu" like you choose your faction in CZ.
You don't see me, and i don't see you, when i'm in mood to do some pvp i can change it easily.

Privates mode and solo mode means no interaction at all with anyone! Its boring all alone there.
Getting interacted with friendly commanders is totally fine, but there may be some moments that you don't want to get involved!
That should be an option. I believe that you guys suggest is the boring alternative..

BTW can do without asking.
What makes you guys think that you are much more valueable to the galaxy then solo/private players are?
IMO you have no right to claim that.

Note: i'm an open player, and will remain so..

Last edited:

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Yaffle, can you update "(Current)" to "3rd" please on that last link for the post counts please. :)
And I didn't get a copy / paste of the updated Wall.... for future updates / posting :(

I really should keep it in a file, oh well.

I'll put it into the post I have just quoted, and a link to it from post one.

If Messrs Fang, Taipo and Phosphora have no objections I'll delete their posts making yours post two.

There is no strict PvP mode. CQC's content draws from little assets of the main game, but is not actually a representation of the main game's PvP. At least Solo mode is a complete representation of the main game's PvE.

All multi / co-op modes are however PvP enabled. So they are PvP modes. While we lack PvE versions.

As for CQC, it is also PvP only - while games like World of WarPlanes / WarShips and Tanks all have the same game play yet have practice modes versus AI (so PvE in other words).
Yet we don't get the PvE mode there either. Though I think SJA may need some time to train the AI for that one ;)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I'll put it into the post I have just quoted, and a link to it from post one.

If Messrs Fang, Taipo and Phosphora have no objections I'll delete their posts making yours post two.

Awesome, thank you.
Thanks to all :)

By that logic, open mode is PVE enabled as well, so it is a PVE mode.

For many players, anything that allows PvP becomes mainly PvP. To deserve being called PvE, it needs to either not have PvP at all or else to allow players to effectively opt out of PvP.

So, Open is PvP. It can't be PvE, regardless of how rare PvP actually is, because players have no way of effectively opting out of PvP while in Open.

Given time zones and the instancing, never, you see the problem with 'oh noes solo/groups are influencing my galaxy, it sucks' is that you still do not solve the problem, people will still run blockades, in other instances or when players are sleeping, same for power players, same for open pvp'ers designated 'no go areas'. Simply put, lets pretend for a second it happens, solo and group stop influencing your galaxy, what next?, do we ban xbone players, ban time zones, players from other countries, petition Frontier to have a strictly server/client set up? The open you want/would be left with would be so devoid of anyone as to be pointless. So, please tell me, where does it stop?

(quoted taken from previous incarnation)

Good sir, I am not requesting any changes whatsoever. I think it works as is. My point is that every "group" is often blinded to seeing their side only, and not any point from the opposition. But that I guess is human nature combined with the soap-box that the internet, in all of its hallowed glory, provides us all.

By that logic, open mode is PVE enabled as well, so it is a PVE mode.

Your "logic" is flawed - PvE / PvP cannot coexist in 1 mode, proven by PvP'ers harassing PvE'ers in the Mobius Group and this thread calling for PvE players to be PvP'ers toys.

No, I'm sorry to report, the modes are one or the other - if it is PvP enabled, then there is no real PvE game play. As PvP'ers get to PvP others whenever they want.
So PvE content on a PvP mode does not make it a PvE mode.

PvE players want a real PvE mode, where they can multiplay PvE their little hearts out without others forcing their game play - that whole "Play your way" line and so on.

For many players, anything that allows PvP becomes mainly PvP. To deserve being called PvE, it needs to either not have PvP at all or else to allow players to effectively opt out of PvP.

So, Open is PvP. It can't be PvE, regardless of how rare PvP actually is, because players have no way of effectively opting out of PvP while in Open.

But open isnt PVP. Just because you guys say its a PVP mode does not mean that's what it is. Yes, I agree, its a mode where PVP is possible. But its also a mode where PVE is possible. If open, as it stands, was a "PVP" server in the form that your side of the room is claiming it is, I could log in and be guaranteed to find some targets -- willing or otherwise. Thats not the case. Open mode is just open mode.

All multi / co-op modes are however PvP enabled. So they are PvP modes. While we lack PvE versions.
Um... all modes but Solo have PvP possibility, but no mode that is exclusively PvP. Solo is exclusively PvE.

As for CQC, it is also PvP only - while games like World of WarPlanes / WarShips and Tanks all have the same game play yet have practice modes versus AI (so PvE in other words).

CQC, as I have explained is smaller than a fraction of the game and doesn't reflect actual PvP in the main game. Not to mention its population is close to zero.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

But open isnt PVP. Just because you guys say its a PVP mode does not mean that's what it is. Yes, I agree, its a mode where PVP is possible. But its also a mode where PVE is possible. If open, as it stands, was a "PVP" server in the form that your side of the room is claiming it is, I could log in and be guaranteed to find some targets -- willing or otherwise. Thats not the case. Open mode is just open mode.

Exactly.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom