The Optimum Setup?

I always wonder in the back of my mind what is the perfect setup. I know each person is an individual, I get that. But I wonder? What do people you?

My current setup is as follows.

Fer De Lance
Support vessel for my friend's Anaconda built to bruise the opposition. I like to blaze around and take out the targets trying to get away. An generally cause damage to anything he is attacking.

Phantom
Setup for exploration does around 70ly, I like a medium vessel so it's fairly simple to land on planets & explore or harvest. No weapons? No problem!

Type 9
Running low on cash? I'll boost to a few galaxies running meta alloys to get a quick buck and keep me a float.

Anaconda
Not sure what to do with this? It's kinda a substitute until I get the Corvette

What do you all favour?
Am I doing the right thing?

Looking forward to your comments CMDRs, all help is good help!

If you are happy, then you must be! (y)

My FDL is setup for CZ work, so all multi's.

I like the Phantom too, but mine does considerably less LY per jump - but does have good armour, shields, PP, distro, thrusters... and guns.

Anaconda was sold 10 minutes after purchase.

Cargo is either T-10 or Corvette, or Cutter if just refilling my FC.

Last edited:
Dolphin - if I need to get anywhere.
Krait Mk. II - for small missions to small pads that absolutely need to go through.
Krait Phantom - for those secretive passengers on a 2 kly round trip
Viper Mk. III - for errrmmmm.... surface data reconnaissance missions and discretely disabling various installations1
DBX - for cold cargo acquisition missions when the targets only realize it's gone once they see it drifting in space
DBX - for small volume, high value core mining
Corvette - for large cargo transports when I just don't want to be bothered by pirates
Anaconda - if I want to remind myself about the old camel joke2

1 Nothing demonstrates discretely that you p**** someone off like 24 packhounds converging on your generator
2 How to ride a camel: if you want to start, hit it with a stick. If you want to stop, hit it with a stick really hard. If you want to change direction, get off and look for another camel facing the right way.

If you are happy, then you must be! (y)

My FDL is setup for CZ work, so all multi's.

I like the Phantom too, but mine does considerably less LY per jump - but does have good armour, shields, PP, distro, thrusters... and guns.

Anaconda was sold 10 minutes after purchase.

Cargo is either T-10 or Corvette, or Cutter if just refilling my FC.
I'm a noob, why would you only use multi cannons for CZ?

Dolphin - if I need to get anywhere.
Krait Mk. II - for small missions to small pads that absolutely need to go through.
Krait Phantom - for those secretive passengers on a 2 kly round trip
Viper Mk. III - for errrmmmm.... surface data reconnaissance missions and discretely disabling various installations1
DBX - for cold cargo acquisition missions when the targets only realize it's gone once they see it drifting in space
DBX - for small volume, high value core mining
Corvette - for large cargo transports when I just don't want to be bothered by pirates
Anaconda - if I want to remind myself about the old camel joke2

1 Nothing demonstrates discretely that you p**** someone off like 24 packhounds converging on your generator
2 How to ride a camel: if you want to start, hit it with a stick. If you want to stop, hit it with a stick really hard. If you want to change direction, get off and look for another camel facing the right way.
So you essentially use the DBX for piracy?

1. DBS for fun and anything that doesn't require much cargo space; perfect for running Odyssey ground missions, bounty hunting, dog fighting in CZs, etc.
  2. Chieftain for bounty hunting and bar room brawling.
  3. Krait Phantom for exploration and piracy (requires some module swapping to switch roles).
  4. Krait Mk2 as my work horse (makes a splendid armed trader, among other things).... as much as I love my DBS, the Mk2 can handle pretty much anything the game throws at you.
  5. Mamba for assassinations. The ultimate drive by shooter.
  6. Anaconda for mining and heavy cargo (I suppose if I ever get around to completing the Imperial grind, I will switch to a Cutter, but Anaconda does the job well enough).
  7. Corvette for Conflict Zones. It doesn't need to be fast. Like Big Paulie in Goodfellas, it doesn't have to move for anyone.
  8. Type 9 for whenever I want to wish I was flying something else. It makes me a ton of money, but sooooooooo painful flying that thing.

Last edited:
My multi-role ships tend to change outfits and roles a lot since I can afford to refit as necessary, mostly from storage. My combat ships trend to be that: combat ships (with exceptions).
Sometimes cutters are miners, sometimes cargo/passenger haulers and sometimes combat ships. A corvette also makes a fine deep-core miner, etc.. Whatever the job of the day is I pick what IMO is the best ship for that job, outfit her for the job and go.

I take the Anaconda when I'm bored on hauling cargo with the Cutter or Corvette. I enjoy it really, has awesome convergence for the rail guns.

But in general, I have an Anaconda ready to go out on trips to do a little bit of everything on multiple systems, including surface landing and/or HGE farming if needed.

Some people don't like it, I thoroughly enjoy it, if anything wish I could take it out more often.

I always wonder in the back of my mind what is the perfect setup. I know each person is an individual, I get that. But I wonder? What do people you?

My current setup is as follows.

Fer De Lance
Support vessel for my friend's Anaconda built to bruise the opposition. I like to blaze around and take out the targets trying to get away. An generally cause damage to anything he is attacking.

Phantom
Setup for exploration does around 70ly, I like a medium vessel so it's fairly simple to land on planets & explore or harvest. No weapons? No problem!

Type 9
Running low on cash? I'll boost to a few galaxies running meta alloys to get a quick buck and keep me a float.

Anaconda
Not sure what to do with this? It's kinda a substitute until I get the Corvette

What do you all favour?

Looking forward to your comments CMDRs, all help is good help!
P.S. you're doing the "right thing" as long as you have fun with what you're flying.

Cargo Running (when I'm serious: CG events, or when I'm broke and need creds)
Type 9
* Kitted out with all cargo holds (no shields, no supercruise assist, just all cargo holds)

Cargo Running (when I'm seeking thrills in Open)
Type 7
* Highest Bi-weave of shields, and FSD, but not engineered.

Cargo Running (for BGS)

Python
* Engineered FSD with a cargo scoop. Kitted with cargo and shields, no weapons.

Combat (When I want to challenge myself)
Eagle Mk II
* Engineered weapons only.

Combat (When you're mildly interesting)

Python
* Engineered shields & weapons

Combat (When I've had enough of your sh*t)

Fer De Lance
* Engineered everything.

Mining
Python
* Whatever + Mining stuff (I don't mine often)

Exploring
Diamondback Explorer
* Engineered for a variety reasons. (FSD, low weight heat sinks, etc.)

Taxi
Asp Explorer
* Engineered FSD

Odyssey Shennanigans/Bubble exploration
Sidewinder
* Rockets, Engineered FSD, highest shields I can get. Because she's a sidey and she's f-ing worth it (don't listen to them Maybelline...They're all haters...).

Last edited:
I take the Anaconda when I'm bored on hauling cargo with the Cutter or Corvette. I enjoy it really, has awesome convergence for the rail guns.

But in general, I have an Anaconda ready to go out on trips to do a little bit of everything on multiple systems, including surface landing and/or HGE farming if needed.

Some people don't like it, I thoroughly enjoy it, if anything wish I could take it out more often.
Do you not find the Anaconda too large to land close to certain sites? I find the Phantom to have near the same range give or take? Then smaller area for landing is nice

Do you not find the Anaconda too large to land close to certain sites? I find the Phantom to have near the same range give or take? Then smaller area for landing is nice
DBX even better

But.. I dont like the meta. To boring for me. I get distracted. My only meta ship is my shieldless cutter (flying in open cause there is fun to be had)

I'm a noob, why would you only use multi cannons for CZ?
Speed of completion - can complete a Med CZ (inc Spec Ops) normally without needing to synth ammo. It works for me, but is not the most 'efficient' build if wanting to just keep returning with no re-arm delays. I do tend to keep my FC orbiting the body I'm playing CZs though.

Speed of completion - can complete a Med CZ (inc Spec Ops) normally without needing to synth ammo. It works for me, but is not the most 'efficient' build if wanting to just keep returning with no re-arm delays. I do tend to keep my FC orbiting the body I'm playing CZs though.
care to send me your cz build ?

Top Bottom